The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    He is a good actor but, I was expecting someone younger at least my age. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    I'm not even slightly a dr who fan, if its on tv I'll have it on in the background, but Peter Capricaldididipridi?

"The tardis' nipple flange converters have ruptured like Anne Widicome's arse being penetrated by a well lubricated donkey dick, so pardon my French mon sewer as I run around like a headless suicide bomber in Baghdad market trying to fix things while you sit on your fat arse contemplating what's gonna be for tea instead of what you should be thinking of, which is how you could go about ridding this miserable tepid little fooking rock of your equally insipid disgusting festering existence, which is probably best done by trying to find out how many black mamba 16" black rubber coks you can insert into the many rancid discharging oriffaces of your knackered out cok ridden leaking person!! ****!!!"

Are they sure pete is suitable for the role?
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,475Chief of Staff
    He is a good actor but, I was expecting someone younger at least my age. :))

The Doctor has bounced about in age before, and it's not unreasonable for an older man to take the part for a while. Of course, the fact that Capaldi is my age may be influencing me somewhat!
    I see they are going for the grey viewers. :p
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,475Chief of Staff
    About time too! (Pun intended)
    Malcolm Tucker IS Dr Who! :))

( Warning, VERY strong language ;) )

http://youtu.be/5Blf073f2Lc
  • DelicatessenInSteelDelicatessenInSteel Posts: 181MI6 Agent
    Excellent casting choice.
    1.MoonRaker 2.OHMSS 3.LALD 4.OP 5.FYEO 6.DR. NO 7.YOLT 8.LTK 9.CR 10.AVTAK
    I think it's funny that in World War Z he played a W.H.O Dr and now he's playing Dr Who. :))
  • scottmu65scottmu65 Carlisle, Cumbria, UKPosts: 402MI6 Agent
    http://res.cloudinary.com/soletron/image/upload/v1375641943/Peter-Capaldi-2117005_kw4dif.jpg

Hope he keeps the facial hair for Who! Reminds me of Peter Cushing
    http://www.classicbondforums.tk - Please support our community.
  • Jedi MasterJedi Master UKPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent
    I find it funny that a lot people think he's a crazy choice because he's played sweary roles in the past... well OK maybe it's a little bit out of left field but it's not like that means he's going to bring that to the Doctor! People need to learn to separate actors from characters, it's like when you see pictures of several roles that have been played by one actor and a caption "you've just realised these are all the same person"... you think, no I've always known they were all the same person because he is an actor who plays many different characters!

Been bugging me for a while.

JediM
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and everyone dies.
    My Daughter tells me that a lot of young girls fans have posted on Twitter/facebook etc that they are leaving as Fans because he's so old. :)) I think he'll be a great Dr. Only hope he gets some decent scripts as M Smith got some below par ones.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    He doesn't look all that different to Smith, same lanky build and alien head, just older.

If teen girls are leaving all the more reason to make the new series less frenetic, more settled and sober, in a slightly later time slot.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,885Chief of Staff
    It's funny: I don't recall a lot of outrage when Christopher Eccleston was picked to play the Doctor--he was the most "left-field" choice of them all, having at that time done mostly art films and grim, edgy material. All I am saying is give Pete a chance. Oops--too much time on that Beatles Conversation thread. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Oh, I don't think there's much official outrage over Capaldi, mostly it's approving. That said, he's hardly an unknown unlike most of the other Doctors. With Ecclestone most were just glad the Doctor was returning after years of ignominy so he got a free pass.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Oh, I don't think there's much official outrage over Capaldi, mostly it's approving. That said, he's hardly an unknown unlike most of the other Doctors. With Ecclestone most were just glad the Doctor was returning after years of ignominy so he got a free pass.

Well, of the previous Docs, the only ones I'd say were "unknown" in any real sense were Troughton, the Baker boys, McCoy (other than ferret-stuffing) and possibly Smithy. Some folk would even have recognised them. We're not talking George Lazenby here. ;)

So I'd say 7/12 being "recognisable" is sort of positive? And now the role is positively aspirational! :p
    I suppose I mean 'associated strongly with one role', and that would only be Peter Davison, others like William Hartnell were character actors with many hats.

Looking forward to Capaldi, but only if they go for quieter episodes, with an eerie feel. Remember just how spooky the theme used to be, all swirling black and white?

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I suppose I mean 'associated strongly with one role', and that would only be Peter Davison, others like William Hartnell were character actors with many hats.

Looking forward to Capaldi, but only if they go for quieter episodes, with an eerie feel. Remember just how spooky the theme used to be, all swirling black and white?

Well, I do think Capaldi could be a Marmite Doc. The post-2005 lot are only used to a younger, trendy-ish guy (hell, that's applied since 1989!). The idea of a 50-something Doc now might be hard for current "yoof" celeb mag/reality TV/Simon Cowell/instant fame generaton? Christ, Capaldi could be even too good an actor!!!??? (Shades of Eccleston: less prepared to mug-along?)

For us oldies, yeah, the idea of really creepy, Pertwee-esque stuff'd be great. Stand-alone stories too. No story arcs, thanks, though I guess that'll be too much to hope for?
    I've just been given a huge amount of Dr Who dvd's . A mate found
    them in a charity shop for a few quid and gave them to me. :))
    I just hope they bring the scary and the creepy back..they keep introducing great monster ideas like the Silence & those top hatted skin things and do nothing with them...the writers seem to overload each show with so many ideas and threads and seem to follow none. When they did the impossible astronaut episode they squandered an excellently scary concept at the childrens orphanage just to be fast paced and clever. Ramble Ramble...
    Building a time machine “is possible” claims Professor Brian Cox.
    Time machines similar to Doctor Who’s Tardis are possible, Professor Brian Cox said in a speech at the British Science Festival.
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/building-a-time-machine-%E2%80%9Cis-possible%E2%80%9D-claims-professor-brian-cox-101027889.html#mkULWHv
    Doctor Who: 50 Years' Trailer.
    http://youtu.be/loGm3vT8EAQ
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Best six minutes of Doctor Who that I've seen in years.. and yeah.... MCGANN!!!!!!!! HE IS BACK!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Cracking to to see McGann back.

Though I can see SM's character justification for what transpires, I still believe that the Hurt casting was from the land of big-name stunt.

Shame McGann wasn't given the chance to play "both", erm, "character prifiles"; this short just shows what he might have done with it and, even after a brief return we though we'd never get, leaves us where we were before - WANTING MORE MCGANN!
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Agreed. I would rather have seen McGann battling it out in the Time War than Hurt. That small segment just shows what an amazing actor he would have been in the role, possibly rivaling all the others.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Agreed. I would rather have seen McGann battling it out in the Time War than Hurt. That small segment just shows what an amazing actor he would have been in the role, possibly rivaling all the others.

Yup. 100%. -{
    Doctor Who 50th anniversary special rewinds to 1963 to look at how show was ... - Mirror.co.uk
    http://tinyurl.com/qxsnfog
    Asp9mm wrote:

After seeing the awfulness and low energy of John Hurts performance in Day of the Doctor and with the reset ending he now ends up not being a war doctor but another Doctor & Capaldi saying hes number thirteen? Zygons were lame and they came and went, it was so slowwwwww especially after the manic episodes Moffat has been throwing for the past 3 years. Tom Baker was the saving grace though..wow what a missed opportunity for Mcgann, I've always loved his Doctor Who movie..and despite all the bitching about it..they used it as a template for the series starting with Ecclestone. Mcgann is the Timothy Dalton of the Who universe. -{ -{ Way underwhelmed by Day of the Doctor and tonight I have tickets to see it in 3D, they didn't simulcast it where I live in the theatres on Saturday. I guess since those seven minutes of Night of the Doctor were the best thing of Doctor Who I've seen since about 3 episodes of Matt Smith's first series I was expecting equal quality or better..they had enough time. -{ -{ :(
    I agree, I'd rather of had McCann as the Doctor.. I did think the bits with the three Doctors very funny
    Tennant and Smith played off each other brilliantly, and Yes what a joy to see Tom Baker again. I'd
    Only just watched his first apperence as the Dr earlier that day in Robot.