The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Apparently Today is Official "Fish fingers and Custard day" :))
    Still think I'll give it a Miss.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Perhaps, no surprise. The BBC has confirmed that Christopher Eccleston has decided he will not take part in the 50th anniversary special. Eccleston met with producer Steven Moffat a couple of times, but after careful thought decided not to be in the episode.

The FULL article.
    No Eccleston in 50th Anniversary Special
    http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/04/dwn050413130012no-eccleston-in-50th-anniversary-special.html
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • scottmu65scottmu65 Carlisle, Cumbria, UKPosts: 402MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    Perhaps, no surprise. The BBC has confirmed that Christopher Eccleston has decided he will not take part in the 50th anniversary special. Eccleston met with producer Steven Moffat a couple of times, but after careful thought decided not to be in the episode.

The FULL article.
    http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/04/dwn050413130012no-eccleston-in-50th-anniversary-special.html

I am gutted to hear this, Eccleston was my favourite and I think he should get more recognition
    http://www.classicbondforums.tk - Please support our community.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,675Chief of Staff
    scottmu65 wrote:
    Moore Than wrote:

The FULL article.

I am gutted to hear this, Eccleston was my favourite and I think he should get more recognition

I think its a shame too...ah well.

I heard today that the show has shed over a million viewers over the last two episodes....I was having the conversation yesterday that I thought it had now peaked and was on the way down...I do hope I'm wrong though.
    YNWA 97
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/galleries/p017w7y0

Three new posters Epic Images for Three More Adventures…
    A number of photo's from the set of the 50th anniversary special featuring Matt Smith, David Tennant, Jenna-Louise Coleman and John Hurt can be viewed at the link below.

Doctor Who: 50th anniversary photo round-up
    http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/25301/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-photo-round-up

untitled-4_60.jpg
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/The-Name-of-the-Finale

The title of the series finale has been revealed and is the hugely intriguing: The Name of the Doctor.

The ‘poster’ for the series’ final adventure (above) was unveiled today and it also confirms that Alex Kingston is back, joining Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman for what promises to be a jaw-dropping end to a spectacular series.

But we’re not there, yet! We’ve still to unravel the mystery of Clara – the woman ‘twice killed’ and yet still by the Doctor’s side… What secrets does she hold? And in the weeks ahead we’ve a trip to a haunted house, a journey to the centre of the TARDIS and a nightmare clash with the mighty Cybermen. But after all those adventures we have The Name of the Doctor and stand by for something that you might always have believed to be impossible…
    BBC Worldwide has announced full details and artwork for the Doctor Who Regeneration Box Set, to be released on the 10th June. The limited edition set contains six DVD's with over 1000 minutes of Doctor Who footage. It brings together every Doctor's regeneration episode. New to DVD is The Tenth Planet featuring the Doctor's first regeneration.

The FULL article.
    Doctor Who Regeneration Box Set
    http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-regeneration-box-set-48278.htm
    John Barrowman, who played Captain Jack Harkness in Doctor Who and Torchwood, is upset at not being invited to appear in the 50th anniversary special episode. "[The producers] don't want to put Jack in it. And I know fans are really upset about it, as was I. People have tried to say it was my schedule - it's absolutely not. I was told by the producers of 'Arrow' that if I was asked to do the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who they'd let me go and do it. It was nothing to do with my schedule. It's just a matter of fact that I wasn't asked."

The FULL article.
    John Barrowman On 'Doctor Who' 50th Anniversary
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/04/23/john-barrowman-doctor-who-50th-anniversary_n_3137280.html
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Lordy, lordy. . .I didn't realize until near the end that the wizened old lady in the latest episode was. . .Diana Rigg! I guess she doesn't have all the time in the world. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    It was...and her daughter in it was played by....her daughter ! It was in the press over here at the time of filming. A good episode from Mark Gatiss too.
    YNWA 97
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Indeed. BBC America breaks into the program(me) about four times to air commercials (ah--the good ol' USA!); but in one of those breaks they always feature some "inside" information on the episode. That's where I saw it was Diana Rigg and Rachel Sterling--and that it was the producer's idea to cast an actual mother and daughter.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • NeverSayDieNeverSayDie Posts: 495MI6 Agent
    The plot was similar to Moonraker.
    Villian wanted a super race, was going to spread the poison via a rocket.
    Henchman (the daughter/Jaws) has a redemption.
  • Jedi MasterJedi Master UKPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-22542222

Just to warn you guys, if you go to any conventions, look out for Star Wars fans! :))
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and everyone dies.
    With work commitments I haven't seen much of this series But I
    did catch last weeks show and Thought it was Brilliant. As always
    I think the next guy will have one hard act to follow. -{
    With work commitments I haven't seen much of this series But I
    did catch last weeks show and Thought it was Brilliant. As always
    I think the next guy will have one hard act to follow. -{

It was...certainly the best episode in a rather patchy season....
    YNWA 97
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Feel the time may be up on Smith. Best to go out while standards are still high(ish) and the demand is, largely, for him to continue. Before too much familiarity starts to breed contempt. Just like Tennant. Just like Brosnan.

Hope to Heaven that Hurt's casting isn't the cheap piece of illogical stunt-casting I suspect it is... X-(
    Feel the time may be up on Smith. Best to go out while standards are still high(ish) and the demand is, largely, for him to continue. Before too much familiarity starts to breed contempt. Just like Tennant. Just like Brosnan.

Hope to Heaven that Hurt's casting isn't the cheap piece of illogical stunt-casting I suspect it is... X-(

He's the true 9th Doctor....they one incarnation they 'blocked out' due to his actions in the Time War....
    YNWA 97

He's the true 9th Doctor....the one incarnation they 'blocked out' due to his actions in the Time War....
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

He's the true 9th Doctor....the one incarnation they 'blocked out' due to his actions in the Time War....

Quite possibly.

And yet in all DW "lore", derived from the new series and off-screen publications, the Time War was fought by 8 (McGann) or 9 (Eccleston). No mention of this "blocked out" "true" 9 has ever been muted.

Liberty-taking stunt-casting by Moffatt, as I said, sadly
    Sir Miles wrote:

Quite possibly.

And yet in all DW "lore", derived from the new series and off-screen publications, the Time War was fought by 8 (McGann) or 9 (Eccleston). No mention of this "blocked out" "true" 9 has ever been muted.

It's hard to mention someone that has been 'blocked out' of consciousness :))

And something that had to be done once Eccleston ruled out an appearance....you have to play the hand you're dealt...so hardly liberty-taking once you know the facts...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Quite possibly.

And something that had to be done once Eccleston ruled out an appearance....you have to play the hand you're dealt...so hardly liberty-taking once you know the facts...

Which facts d'ya know that I don't, SM? That Eccleston wouldn't play with the other kids? (Hardly surprising; Eccleston as an actor seems to be happy to move on to new stuff).

And, of course, they could have used part of the original hand they'd dealt themselves... Mr Paul McGann.

I wager more "fans" would like to see McGann - if only to give the poor bugger a second go and a bit of closure - than the apparent Hurt contrivance. Though I do conceed Hurt is a FAR bigger name for worldwide TV viewers...

PS - I assume McGann would have been interested in a return, as he's suggested in the past?
    Sir Miles wrote:

Quite possibly.

Which facts d'ya know that I don't, SM? That Eccleston wouldn't play with the other kids? (Hardly surprising; Eccleston as an actor seems to be happy to move on to new stuff).

And, of course, they could have used part of the original hand they'd dealt themselves... Mr Paul McGann.

I wager more "fans" would like to see McGann - if only to give the poor bugger a second go and a bit of closure - than the apparent Hurt contrivance. Though I do conceed Hurt is a FAR bigger name for worldwide TV viewers...

PS - I assume McGann would have been interested in a return, as he's suggested in the past?

Only that Eccleston had talks about returning for the anniversary episode but declined....he had no interest in returning at all but listened out of courtesy....

No idea about McGann though - maybe he's too old to reprise his original look ? Or maybe Moffat decided it was better to go down the route he's now chosen...and it has to do with regenerations also...this pushes Smith to doctor number 12, meaning only one more regeneration before the doctor dies....
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    No idea about McGann though - maybe he's too old to reprise his original look ? Or maybe Moffat decided it was better to go down the route he's now chosen...

Paul McGann Loses It with Steven Moffat! :D
    http://www.kasterborous.com/2013/05/paul-mcgann-loses-it-with-steven-moffat/
    I guess the "new series" guys - RTD and Moff - have an issue with McGann; he's clearly a better Doc than any of theirs! (Don't worry, it's just me - huge supporter of the Underdog; I was a huge Laz fan when most here weren't born and OHMSS was barely shown on TV and a crappy, cut VHS).

As for Hurt, we probably shouldn't worry: Moff'll **** it up and we'll find out he just a regeneration of David Morrissey.
    I love Lazenby...thought McGann was poor though...

And John Hurt isn't....he's the real 9th Doctor ;)
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I love Lazenby...thought McGann was poor though...

And John Hurt isn't....he's the real 9th Doctor ;)

Well, considering the "new series" Prods cack-handed ability with any major plot line - Bad Wolf, the Master, DT's non-regeneration, the wasted potential of Morrissey's character, a wee bit too much Smith by now ... Hurt could be 'owt.

Doubtless to be discussed here after the 50th ;) -{