Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Georgiboy wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    DEATH SCENE (The Untouchables) - Ennio Morricone

Just beautiful and moody. B-)

I love that music. He is a great composer IMO.

Indeed. I've been a fan of Morricone since I heard the Orca score as a kid. He's one of my favorites. B-)

His scores to Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns are absolutely amazing and my all-time favorite movie soundtracks; especially Jill's theme from Once Upon a Time in the West; the vocals are haunting in that one.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    Mind if I join in the love fest? :D Morricone is a magnificent composer and is IMO easily among the greatest of all time. His scores to the Dollars films are probably my favourites of his, however his score for The Untouchables was also phenomenal and his score for Once Upon a Time in the West was also really beautiful. He truly deserved the 2006 Honorary Oscar. {[]
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Georgiboy wrote:

I love that music. He is a great composer IMO.

Indeed. I've been a fan of Morricone since I heard the Orca score as a kid. He's one of my favorites. B-)

His scores to Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns are absolutely amazing and my all-time favorite movie soundtracks; especially Jill's theme from Once Upon a Time in the West; the vocals are haunting in that one.

I have to really look at OUATITW, Tony seeing that I can never catch it on or never have the time to watch it but I'm sure I'll love it if it's score is by him. B-)

Morricone is good painting music for me for some reason; I guess it's because of the mood he invokes in alot of his pieces.

My grandmother used to love the music in those old spaghetti westerns we would watch together on the late, late movies back in the day.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA is a beautifully made picture by Leone and Morricone's score is very stirring in that too. It fits with the cinematography perfectly. Sort of celestial.

But it wasn't until I saw Orca that I really paid attention to the man's power.

During The Untouchables when Malone (Connery) is dying and the music is playing, I can't help but shed a tear sometimes because it just works. Death Scene is such a beautiful piece to listen to that my son has gotten hooked to it where at first he couldn't understand what I saw in it.

I find it odd that I love this type of music seeing that as a kid, Music was one of my most boring classes. ;)

Also Morricone did the score for John Carpenter's THE THING. Very cool.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • SurrieSurrie Surrey, UKPosts: 79MI6 Agent
    Can't Stand Losing You - The Police

I'm going to see them at Twickenham on Saturday!

Argh I'm so excited!!!
    What counts is what the heroine provokes, or rather what she represents. She is the one, or rather the love or fear she inspires in the hero , or else the concern he feels for her, who makes him act the way he does.

Author of 'Pussy Galore - A Representation of Women in James Bond Films'.
    Active tweeter and tumbler - https://twitter.com/surrie_fullard
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I have to really look at OUATITW, Tony seeing that I can never catch it on or never have the time to watch it but I'm sure I'll love it if it's score is by him. B-)

It is IMHO one of the greatest westerns (if not greatest films) ever made. It clocks in at around three hours as the story takes its time to unfold, but it's well worth the investment.

BTW, here's a bit of Morricone trivia for you. It turns out that heavy metal band Metallica are big Morricone fans and I'm told they often use the song The Ecstacy of Gold from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly as their opening music before their show starts; sometimes they even play the actual scene up on a screen.

Now, bringing this back on topic, I'm listening to Towards the Light from the new Pat Metheny/Brad Mehldau Quartet album. Pat is a master of the guitar synthesizer and he really puts it to good use in this piece. Smokin' stuff.
  • Honey RiderHoney Rider Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    I'm currently listening to the new album from Australian Missy Higgins: 'On a Clear Night.' It's really great! :D
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:

BTW, here's a bit of Morricone trivia for you. It turns out that heavy metal band Metallica are big Morricone fans and I'm told they often use the song The Ecstacy of Gold from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly as their opening music before their show starts; sometimes they even play the actual scene up on a screen.

To my knowledge, Metallica opens every show with the end sequence from The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly with the Ectascy of Gold playing. At least the 5 Metallica concerts I've been to, each one started with the film clip and accompning music. A great way to start a show.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,558Chief of Staff
    Pressure Suit by Aqualung.

Another band that is overlooked in the UK, a real shame as they really produce great songs. This is from their third album.
    YNWA 97
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    "When You're Gone" by Avril Lavigne; I can't get enough of it.
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    Bodies by The Sex Pistols. Dead chuffed as I recently learnt to play this on me guitar! :D
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
    Another great song from The Young Knives called Terra Firma
    YNWA 97
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Mary Mary, by Velvet Revolver, from their kick-ass new CD, Libertad.

Thank God someone is still cranking it out like this B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

How does Velvet Revolver compare to Guns N' Roses? I'm a big Guns fan but I haven't heard any of Velvet Revolver's stuff.

How does Velvet Revolver compare to Guns N' Roses? I'm a big Guns fan but I haven't heard any of Velvet Revolver's stuff.

Kind of what you'd expect---as if Guns N' Roses and Stone Temple Pilots had had a child, since STP's Scott Weiland is VR's lead singer. I highly recommmend their two CDs...but I think their new one (Libertad) is even better than Contraband, their first.
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    I'm listening to a compilation of good Mod -rock tunes -Two of my favourites are:
    The Eagle Laughs at You by Jackie Lomax and Instant Whip by The Tremeloes

But the best has to be Garden of my Mind by The Mickey Finn
  • Andy A 007Andy A 007 Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    I'm listening to Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. Beautiful song. Pure poetry by David Gilmour and Roger Waters!
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent

Kind of what you'd expect---as if Guns N' Roses and Stone Temple Pilots had had a child, since STP's Scott Weiland is VR's lead singer. I highly recommmend their two CDs...but I think their new one (Libertad) is even better than Contraband, their first.

Don't forget Slash is part of Velvet Revolver.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    edited September 2007
    Mr Martini wrote:

Don't forget Slash is part of Velvet Revolver.

As are Duff McKagan (bass), and Matt Sorum (drums)---all G'n F'n R survivors B-)
  • Blakey FBlakey F Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    At the minute, im sat in front of the fire, singing along to George Michael and Wham, my personal favourite is Chama Chama Chama Chameleon. This is on now, and wait... Iv just put on, my Elton John album, "Candle In The Win" being a true classic :007)
    I'm currently listening to 'Welcome to the Jungle' by Guns N' Roses. It's awesome. :D It's my favourite song by one of my favourite groups. {[]
  • SurrieSurrie Surrey, UKPosts: 79MI6 Agent
    Im listening to 'She Sell's Sanctuary' By The Cult. :)
    What counts is what the heroine provokes, or rather what she represents. She is the one, or rather the love or fear she inspires in the hero , or else the concern he feels for her, who makes him act the way he does.

Author of 'Pussy Galore - A Representation of Women in James Bond Films'.
    Active tweeter and tumbler - https://twitter.com/surrie_fullard
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Surrie wrote:
    Im listening to 'She Sell's Sanctuary' By The Cult. :)

An absolute classic from an awesome band! {[]

For me, a very different but equally great 80's band: "The Headmaster Ritual" by The Smiths, from Meat Is Murder.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    I'm listening to "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey.
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    What else but "You Know My Name" by Chris Cornell. :D
    "We have all the time in the world..."
    I'm listening to 'Blue Sky Mining' by the excellent Midnight Oil. :D It's a great song. :D
  • The Sly FoxThe Sly Fox USAPosts: 467MI6 Agent
    I'm listening to the album Time by Electric Light Orchestra. I found the song "Hold on Tight" playing on the latest Honda Accord commercial, so now I'm listening to the album!

"Hold on tight to your dreams..."
    "Accroches-toi a ton reve..."

:D {[]
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    Hot Chip: Over and over.

From the album The Warning; a very interesting album and band, who weld all sorts of musical genres to create a thoroughly enjoyable sound.
    The Dream Academy: Life in a northern town
    Lazenby880 wrote:

From the album The Warning; a very interesting album and band, who weld all sorts of musical genres to create a thoroughly enjoyable sound.

They certainly do !

I've seen this band live, before I really knew who they where, and, looking at them, it was difficult to guess what style of music they would play - in fact I thought one of the band was a roadie when he walked out :))
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Lazenby880 wrote:

They certainly do !

I've seen this band live, before I really knew who they where, and, looking at them, it was difficult to guess what style of music they would play - in fact I thought one of the band was a roadie when he walked out :))
    I know what you mean. It was my brother who recommended them and I ended up thoroghly enjoying their stuff: totally bizarre, of course, but good nonetheless. I would struggle to describe their music style to someone, a bit of 80s electronica, indie, pop and lots of other bits and pieces. Fairly original band.