Sci-FI

Comments

• arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    I'm interested in this film and will go and see it but the one thing that seems odd to me is that the actors being touted (Matt Damon, Adrien Brody etc) must be nearly as old or the same age as Shatner and co were in the original series. The other thing is, and it probably won't happen now, I could have lived with another Next Generation film. I think Picard and his crew deserved a proper send-off and they left a few things up in the air like the whole Data/B-4 story.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Does anyone here like THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN? Man, I loved this film as a kid.

I've seen this movie several times. It's a good film but it leaves me cold. It's very dry, clinical, and minimalist. In other words it's presented in a true to life manner but is also not a particularly dramatic film.
    I'm interested in this film and will go and see it but the one thing that seems odd to me is that the actors being touted (Matt Damon, Adrien Brody etc) must be nearly as old or the same age as Shatner and co were in the original series. The other thing is, and it probably won't happen now, I could have lived with another Next Generation film. I think Picard and his crew deserved a proper send-off and they left a few things up in the air like the whole Data/B-4 story.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/769/769279p1.html

According to the above article, it appears the movie will be more about Kirk and Spock's early adventures than their academy days - which would make sense if the casting rumors pan out. Also, Harve Bennett (who produced Star Trek II - V) had pitched a Starfleet Academy movie back around 1990 and making an academy movie without his approval or participation might be a little tricky.

While my personal preference would be for an all original cast and story in some other era, I do prefer an "early adventure" story to an "academy" story. Something tells me the movie will show us Kirk's first mission as captain, where he solidifies his bond with Spock and McCoy and starts to build his rep as a great commander - ie: it'll probably be Star Trek Begins.
    A little more info on the new Star Trek movie courtesy of writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci. The film is indeed shaping up to be a reboot (or reimagining as the writers like to call it). It will simply be called "Star Trek" with no subtitle or roman numerals. Have a read for more info.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/771/771425p1.html
    TonyDP wrote:
    A little more info on the new Star Trek movie courtesy of writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci. The film is indeed shaping up to be a reboot (or reimagining as the writers like to call it). It will simply be called "Star Trek" with no subtitle or roman numerals. Have a read for more info.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/771/771425p1.html

Interesting to read that this film will be the most action-packed one yet with the biggest budget. That last next Generation film had a lot of action but got panned. I like the idea of Gary Sinise as Bones. I saw him playing George in Of Mice and Men recently and he's a good actor when he gets a good part.

I'd add The Day the Earth Stood Still to the sci-fi list. And The Last Starfighter. Nostalgic fun.
    I'd add The Day the Earth Stood Still to the sci-fi list. And The Last Starfighter. Nostalgic fun.

The Day the Earth Stood Still is a classic of the genre. A very literate and intelligent film (though I'd expect nothing less from Robert Wise). Of particular interest are all the Christ parallels (right down to Klaatu taking the name of Carpenter and even rising from the dead) and the fact that they escaped the censors' notice.

Here are two more films I find entertaining that fall within the genre:

Rollerball with James Caan as the legendary Johnathan E who shows that the individual can still prevail against any odds. The Rollerball matches are still breathtaking.

The Tenth Victim a farce starring Marcello Mastroianni and the divine Ursula Andress about a future society where people with violent tendencies (or those who are just bored) engage in a literal game of life and death. This one is purely for laughs but still holds many memorable moments, not the least of which is Ms. Andress using her double barrelled bra at the Masoch Club.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Another one of my favorite films is TIME AFTER TIME starring David Warner and Malcolm MacDowall. Others that have seen it don't share my opinion but man, it's good. B-)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    The Man Who Fell To Earth and Robinson Crusoe On Mars are two unappreciated films. I like Donnie Darko although I'm not sure it falls under sci-fi. It has a time-travel theme.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    I'll add It Came From Out Of Space as my most watched -- Heavy Bradbury vibes, beautiful cinematography, (love that opening shot), great theramin score, and Barbara Rush :x

The Incredible Shrinking Man is awesome too. Best Matheson adaption ever.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Do you fancy posting a letter into R2-D2?

For the full article

'Star Wars' R2-D2 to collect post

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6457467.stm

Postboxes across the US are to be dressed up as Star Wars robot R2-D2 to celebrate 30 years since the release of the sci-fi series' first outing.

The USPS website is running a clip from Star Wars in which robot C-3PO asks "R2D2, where are you?"  In the next shot, someone is seen slotting a letter into the little beeping robot.Star Wars clip

http://www.uspsjedimaster.com/teaser/index.html
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:

Amazing film. Wonder if it's out on DVD?
    For the Star Wars fan who has everything, how about an R2D2 DVD projector, complete with Millenium Falcon Remote Control ...

http://gear.ign.com/articles/754/754184p1.html

ces-2007-r2-d2-dvd-projector-20070109062708500-000.jpg
    ces-2007-r2-d2-dvd-projector-20070109062650517-000.jpg
    Alex wrote:
    I'll add It Came From Out Of Space as my most watched -- Heavy Bradbury vibes, beautiful cinematography, (love that opening shot), great theramin score, and Barbara Rush :x

Both real classics. I remember seeing Shrinking Man one lazy Saturday during summer vacation on an old black and white 19" TV and being totally blown away.

As for It Came From Outer Space, I only wish somebody would release it on DVD in 3D, like it played in the theaters. That would make for a fun time.
    TonyDP wrote:
    Both real classics. I remember seeing Shrinking Man one lazy Saturday during summer vacation on an old black and white 19" TV and being totally blown away.

As for It Came From Outer Space, I only wish somebody would release it on DVD in 3D, like it played in the theaters. That would make for a fun time.

Remember Night Of The Comet? I recorded this from HBO back in the day and my sister's friend stole it. Picked it up for under ten bucks. Not as good as I remembered but Catherine Mary Stewart was always a hottie. The score was terrible though.
    John Drake wrote:
    Amazing film. Wonder if it's out on DVD?
    Universal finally released a 3 disc set late last year which was exculsive to BestBuy. That means it might be available elsewhere by now. ISM is there. (Region 1)
    Alex wrote:
    Remember Night Of The Comet? I recorded this from HBO back in the day and my sister's friend stole it. Picked it up for under ten bucks. Not as good as I remembered but Catherine Mary Stewart was always a hottie. The score was terrible though.

Saw it many years ago; not exactly my cup of tea but there is something inherently amusing about a comet wiping out all life on Earth and the only ones left are a couple of valley girls. :))

Another one Catherine Mary Stewart did was Nightflyers, about a group of scientists trapped on a spaceship that is trying to kill them. I belive it was based on a novella by George R.R. Martin. Like Comet, nothing particularly memorable but still had some chills and decent (for the time) effects. Starlog made a big deal about this one when it was in production; but it came, went and as largely forgotten very quickly.
    edited March 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    Alex wrote:

Saw it many years ago; not exactly my cup of tea but there is something inherently amusing about a comet wiping out all life on Earth and the only ones left are a couple of valley girls. :))

Another one Catherine Mary Stewart did was Nightflyers, about a group of scientists trapped on a spaceship that is trying to kill them. I belive it was based on a novella by George R.R. Martin. Like Comet, nothing particularly memorable but still had some chills and decent (for the time) effects. Starlog made a big deal about this one when it was in production; but it came, went and as largely forgotten very quickly.
    I know Stewart was also in The Last Starfighter but I never got into that one. Sure, the effects were terrific, the cast boosted by veteran Robert Preston and the story of a kid being recruited by an alien civilization had some merit, but it was all just too soon after Return Of The Jedi for me. Nothing else was acceptable in my eyes. Seemed like SCI-FI light.

Of course it wasn't no Battle Beyond The Stars either. :))
    Alex wrote:
    I know Stewart was also in The Last Starfighter but I never got into that one. Sure, the effects were terrific, the cast boosted by veteran Robert Preston and the story of a kid being recruited by an alien civilization had some merit, but it was all just too soon after Return Of The Jedi for me. Nothing else was acceptable in my eyes. Seemed like SCI-FI light.

That movie left me cold from the first time I saw it; I thought the CG effects were way too crude and the sets looked like they came off an episode of Buck Rogers. It also had all the stereotypes that I hated - decent folk stuck living in a trailer park, the adoring kid brother, the frustrated girlfriend. Nope, pass on that one as well.
    Of course it wasn't no Battle Beyond The Stars either. :))

For a Corman epic, it wasn't that bad, and it gave him tons of stock footage that he could re-use again and again and again. But John Boy's ship (sorry, can't remember his character name or his real name right now) had to be one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. Was it just me or did it look like a naked woman's torso?

The best two things about that movie were definitely Sybil Danning. ;)
    TonyDP wrote:
    Alex wrote:
    The best two things about that movie were definitely Sybil Danning. ;)
    You're alright in my book :D

Danning's space Valkyrie definitely a pair of highlights. And Robert Vaughn re-channeling his Magnificent Seven role. Not to mention John Saxon. Now I liked that one because it's heart was in the right place. Like most of Corman's were.
    TonyDP wrote:

That sounds a lot like Event Horizon which is probably the only half-decent film that Paul W Anderson has been associated with.
    That sounds a lot like Event Horizon which is probably the only half-decent film that Paul W Anderson has been associated with.

Yeah, Anderson makes films for half-wits. Like 'Alien vs Predator.' X-( X-( X-(

Wonder what the W in Paul W Anderson's name stands for. I suspect it ryhmes with banker. Or maybe just Why? As in, Why would anybody hire this guy?

Mind you 'Mortal Kombat' did have Christopher Lambert in it. :D
    Caught a movie called Zathura. It's geared for young adults but never the less quite compelling. Once you start you have to see it through.

Two brothers, ages 7 and 10, find a neglected board game in the basement of their dad's ancestral home and procede to play. They discover events happen for real and the entire mansion is now unbelievably floating in outer space and is, for all extensive purposes, a space craft. (abeit one with bathrooms and a kitchen) Only way they can return home is keep playing and win the entire thing or risk being lost forever. The title refers to the name of the game. Pretty interesting.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    Caught a movie called Zathura. It's geared for young adults but never the less quite compelling. Once you start you have to see it through.

Two brothers, ages 7 and 10, find a neglected board game in the basement of their dad's ancestral home and procede to play. They discover events happen for real and the entire mansion is now unbelievably floating in outer space and is, for all extensive purposes, a space craft. (abeit one with bathrooms and a kitchen) Only way they can return home is keep playing and win the entire thing or risk being lost forever. The title refers to the name of the game. Pretty interesting.

I saw this movie; it's Jumanji set in space. Really not much different... 8-)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    Never saw Jumanji but I remember when it came out. Zoo animals and Robin Williams kept me away. 8-)
    Here's a link to a feature by Mark Kermode on Danny Boyle's new film 'Sunshine.' It looks very promising.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,,2042102,00.html
    For any Blade Runner fans out there, looks like there will be a new deluxe DVD of the movie released later this year. AICN even says Ridley Scott is reshooting some scenes with Joanna Cassidy. The story is also mentioned on Ms. Cassidy's official website and other locations. The scene being reshot - Zhora's death - was one of the weaker stunts in the movie as it was clearly a stuntwoman with a bad wig falling thru a glass window. It's not surprising that a perfectionist like Scott would still be bugged by it, even 25 years later.

For me, Blade Runner was one of the last movies to present a truly unique and visually striking vision of the future. Really looking forward to what will hopefully be the definitive version of this movie. Here's the link to more info:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32449
    TonyDP wrote:
    For any Blade Runner fans out there, looks like there will be a new deluxe DVD of the movie released later this year. AICN even says Ridley Scott is reshooting some scenes with Joanna Cassidy. The story is also mentioned on Ms. Cassidy's official website and other locations. The scene being reshot - Zhora's death - was one of the weaker stunts in the movie as it was clearly a stuntwoman with a bad wig falling thru a glass window. It's not surprising that a perfectionist like Scott would still be bugged by it, even 25 years later.

For me, Blade Runner was one of the last movies to present a truly unique and visually striking vision of the future. Really looking forward to what will hopefully be the definitive version of this movie. Here's the link to more info:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32449

{[] Great news. They've been talking about this for ages.
    John Drake wrote:
    {[] Great news. They've been talking about this for ages.

Yes, the film was tied up in litigation for many many years. WB Home Video did release a remastered version of the Director's Cut on DVD in the fall of 2006. The picture and sound were very good - far better than the Criterion edition, but there were no extras on the DVD at all, not even a trailer. Hopefully, we'll get some goodies with this release.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto!

This one flew under the radar for a while, but it looks like 20th Century Fox is going to be filming a remake of the sci-fi classic The Day The Earth Stood Still with - gulp - Keannu Reeves as Klaatu. Jennifer Connolly has also joined the cast.

The original film is considered a sci-fi masterpiece and I honestly don't know what a remake can bring to the table; maybe they'll use it as an allegory to have us look at what a mess we've made of the world; I dunno.

Click on thru for more info:
    http://movies.ign.com/articles/832/832921p1.html
    TonyDP wrote:
    Klaatu Barada Nikto!

This one flew under the radar for a while, but it looks like 20th Century Fox is going to be filming a remake of the sci-fi classic The Day The Earth Stood Still with - gulp - Keannu Reeves as Klaatu. Jennifer Connolly has also joined the cast.

The original film is considered a sci-fi masterpiece and I honestly don't know what a remake can bring to the table; maybe they'll use it as an allegory to have us look at what a mess we've made of the world; I dunno.

Click on thru for more info:
    http://movies.ign.com/articles/832/832921p1.html
    You have got to be f*ckin kidding me. Keannu,(comatose acting style), Reeves!?!!

Let's hope the writer's strike nips this horrible idea in the bud. But today's scribes couldn't rewrite a classic anyway, so what the hell.

PS: Yes, I am very jaded and very cynical. Bah, Humbug!
    edited November 2007
    Alex wrote:
    You have got to be f*ckin kidding me. Keannu,(comatose acting style), Reeves!?!!

Let's hope the writer's strike nips this horrible idea in the bud. But today's scribes couldn't rewrite a classic anyway, so what the hell.

PS: Yes, I am very jaded and very cynical. Bah, Humbug!

In addition to being jaded and cynical I'm also feeling quite bitter today (it's a potent combination) so yeah, that was my reaction as well. I guess from now it it'll have to be "Klaatu Barada Nikto Dude!"
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    If Jennifer Connelly is in it, I am there.