Sci-FI

123457»

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Great news -{ I love Star Trek and may even be one of the few who like the rebooted films. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    CBS has announced Alex Kurtzman will Executive Produce their new Star Trek tv series, due on their US network channel in 2017.
    No word on timeframe or whether Prime Universe, Ahrahmsverse or neither at this stage. It will be seperate from the curent Abrahms films.

I am on the fence until those points are clarified.
    As always, I AM THERE. Yes, I'm a die hard Trekker. :x
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Robbo88Robbo88 Newcastle, England.Posts: 253MI6 Agent
    It's actually going to air on TV. The first episode anyways. The rest will be on their streaming service, which is currently only available state side :(.
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    "Greatness From Small Beginnings."
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Robbo88 wrote:
    It's actually going to air on TV. The first episode anyways. The rest will be on their streaming service, which is currently only available state side :(.

I am sure I read somewhere Robbo that export to Europe will be the same as normal. Ie Sky will prob get it in the UK first, before the BBC, Channel 4 and Channel 5 bid for rights.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Robbo88Robbo88 Newcastle, England.Posts: 253MI6 Agent
    Robbo88 wrote:

I am sure I read somewhere Robbo that export to Europe will be the same as normal. Ie Sky will prob get it in the UK first, before the BBC, Channel 4 and Channel 5 bid for rights.

Hopefully buddy. TV has definitely been lacking a Trek based show.

Also the sequel to Prometheus has officially been revealed.

Titled; Alien:Covenant

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/16/9744156/alien-covenant-prometheus-sequel-ridley-scott-title-change
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    "Greatness From Small Beginnings."
    A question for sci-fi buffs.....
    Has there ever been a character, who is basically a "spirit" haunting the space ship, but who is accepted
    as a member of the crew, and can through "possession " communicate and help on adventures ?
    Even if needed " take over " ships computer or an enemy crew member ?
    The idea came to me tonight watching Penny Dreadful, what if Demons were infact an alien race
    with no physical form, but survive symbiotically in a host ?
    Or is this a load of bollocks ? :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited November 2015
    Not Bollocks at all Pussy!

Can't say I know of a series or film with a regular crewmember like that, but certainly Star Trek has featured several stories involving non coporial entities, most notably the Prophets and Pah Wraiths in DS9.

There was a season 1 ep of Voyager called Cathesis, where a non coporial being who is coercing the crew, while another is trying to stop them. The latter is a disembodied Commander Chakotay!

Stargate SG1 had a running thread where the Ancients the race who built the gate networks and Atlantis had evolved, ascended to a higher plane of existance and would occasionally show up. I think there were a couple of Stargate Atlantis episodes that reflected this too. Again no regular characters though.

Babylon 5 had a few episodes dealing with illusion and tekepathic control, and in Buffy spin off Angel, Cordellia had a poltergist as a flat mate for a while?
    The Supernatural is a sub genre I don't know as well as Sci fi, so there may be others?
    " coporial entity " I knew there was a better name for it. :)
    I'm sure someone's done it, but I think it would be fun to have
    a returning character, played by different people every week. ;)
    So they could be any race, or sex etc.
    I must start writing straight away. :D
    Oh! In that case, the closest match would probably the Q from Star Trek. Although Voyager established gender for them as male and female, we never knew antthing else about their physiology ir the limit of their abilities.
    That's the great thing about Sci-Fi, no limits to the imagination. I remember
    Explaining to my daughters, when they were doing a school report on the
    Civil Rights movement. How forward thinking Star Trek was, showing how
    " Mankind" could live together.
    For the 60s having a black woman giving orders to white men, and being
    Obeyed. They ( Thankfully) couldn't see what was special about that, I pointed
    Out it was very advanced thinking, given a simple interracial kiss couldn't be shown .
    Many Sci-Fi shows have dealt with so many diverse subjects, arranged marriage,
    euthanasia etc. That many other programmes wouldn't deal with.
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    It's Star Trek, Jim......but not as we know it. New official trailer for Star Trek: Beyond. Scheduled for release on the 22nd July 2016.

Star Trek: Beyond - Trailer (2016)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,590Chief of Staff
    ^ I really enjoyed the last two films...will look forward to that one too -{
    YNWA 97
    With this and Independence day 2, there are some films I'm
    really looking forward to next year. -{
    Wish I could agree Pussy. It seems space based Sci Fi is back - which is good. But it's all of a Starship Troopers meets Star Wars meets Original era Battlestar Galactica approach. Even the new Stargate films will be going down that road.

I'd love to have something with wonder, intrigue, surprise and a story that challenges my intellect, rather than just explosions, laser fights, ships disintegrating and everyone running around shouting and screaming.

We need a new 2001 A Space Odyssey or Robinson Crusoe in Space or ET type film as well.
    There was Interstellar and The Martian ?
    Sadly, I'm one of those who like space ships and " Phew, Phew" lasers. :#
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Id like to see a SC-FI film ,where the aliens come to help us ,rather than trying to blow the sh*t out of us .Keneau Reeves slightly touched base ,CEOT3K did well ,ET sort of helped ,but its mostly come and kill the humans time .
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    :)) It will be funny if Aliens ever do make contact. As we'll be so brain washed
    by movies, we'll be shooting first :))
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    :)) It will be funny if Aliens ever do make contact. As we'll be so brain washed
    by movies, we'll be shooting first :))

Well that is my theory ,why they havnt

"shall we visit Earth Krondak"
    "sod that Vartoh ,they will blow the crap out of us" :))
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Although we'll have nothing to worry about, as the first alien to
    set foot here. Will kill us all with those nasty space germs. :))
    There was Interstellar and The Martian ?
    Sadly, I'm one of those who like space ships and " Phew, Phew" lasers. :#

Interstellar was great, if a bit po faced. Not seen The Martian yet, but I want to. Don't get me wrong, I do love Classic Star Wars, Starship Troopers is entertaining and I have modern Galactica on DVD in its entirity! So I do enjoy the pew - pew sub genre myself. But we need some Star Trek TNG and Stargate SG1 style exploration and clever humour too. I'd add The Prisoner too, for its surreal yet intelligent and forward thinking writing.

Plus Bond has always been there for blowing up the crap out of stuff over the years!
    I've started to rewatch the Star War films, to get me in the mood for the new one.
    I know they're not films but I loved the Twlight Zone and Outer Limits. For more
    thought provoking sci-fi stories.
    Caught the trailer today for " The Fifth Wave" which looks great -{
    More Aliens coming down all bad ass to us.