Sci-FI

Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    If Jennifer Connelly is in it, I am there.

:)) I had a feeling you'd approve of that bit of casting; I was wondering when you'd chime in.

Now I know that you're not a big sci-fi fan Barry, but next time your renting or net-flixing a movie, you may want to check out the original. It's actually quite an intelligent and thoughtful film with a really powerful performance by Michael Rennie - that's why people like Alex and myself are a little concerned about Keeanu's involvement.
    Variety is reporting that current Batman Christian Bale has indeed signed on to play John Connor in the upcoming Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins (is it me or is that an awkward title?). The film is slated to be something of a reboot to the franchise (what isn't being rebooted these days) and it is uncertain if Arnold Schwarzennegger will participate (doubtful given his advancing years and political ambitions/commitments).

Here's the IGN article:
    http://movies.ign.com/articles/839/839052p1.html
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    it is uncertain if Arnold Schwarzennegger will participate (doubtful given his advancing years and political ambitions/commitments).

I should be so lucky if I live to be his age and have half his build now. Still it would be cool if he made a cameo at the end of the movie if nothing more. It would sort of tie the old with the new. I hope that they approach him at least. ;)

I certainly hope that this entity isn't milked to death ala Child's Play or something. Part 3 already made light of itself with the certain winks to the previous 2 and got away with it.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    edited December 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:
    it is uncertain if Arnold Schwarzennegger will participate (doubtful given his advancing years and political ambitions/commitments).

I should be so lucky if I live to be his age and have half his build now. Still it would be cool if he made a cameo at the end of the movie if nothing more. It would sort of tie the old with the new. I hope that they approach him at least. ;)

He is still in good shape and a cameo would be cool. Don't know if you ever saw the deleted scenes to Terminator 3; but there is a short, very funny scene that explains why the Terminator looks and sounds like Arnold. It borders on parody (which is probably why it was cut) but maybe they could incorporate something like that.
    I certainly hope that this entity isn't milked to death ala Child's Play or something. Part 3 already made light of itself with the certain winks to the previous 2 and got away with it.

Having Bale on board (assuming the story is true) gives the film an added air of legitimacy, much moreso that if they'd hired Ed Furlong or Nick Stahl ( who I still think did a very good job in T3 - take that Dan Same :p ). My big concern is that McG (of Charlies Angels fame) is curently attached to direct. The guy isn't my first or even hundredth choice to oversee something like that but maybe Bale knows something we don't.
    There's a new Aliens vs. Predator movie coming out this month (Christmas day here in the states) and the first 5 minutes of the movie have been put up online. Some interesting stuff here including a few quick glimpses of the Predators' homeworld and the film looks to take place right after the events of the first AvP movie.

The original script pretty much threw away any sort of continuity with the first couple of Alien movies as the Aliens were running amok on modern day Earth (it was made pretty clear in Alien and Aliens that this species had never before been encountered); and the original climax was to have taken place in a Walmart. Don't know if any of that survived into the final release.

Here's a link to the clip:

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/a/Aliens-Vs-Predator-Requiem/index-3687454.html
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Anybody else a fan of the new Battlestar Galactica? Razor aired in the UK the other night. I noticed that Jane Espenson has joined the production staff. I hope she is going to write some of Season 4's episodes. I loved her writing on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I do wonder if the writers have been watching LEXX. The whole "All of this has happened before. And it will happen again," stuff is very similar to the ideas of the past being eternally repeated used in LEXX. And it was great to see the old 70's style cylons in action once again.
    edited December 2007
    John Drake wrote:
    Anybody else a fan of the new Battlestar Galactica? Razor aired in the UK the other night. I noticed that Jane Espenson has joined the production staff. I hope she is going to write some of Season 4's episodes. I loved her writing on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I do wonder if the writers have been watching LEXX. The whole "All of this has happened before. And it will happen again," stuff is very similar to the ideas of the past being eternally repeated used in LEXX. And it was great to see the old 70's style cylons in action once again.

I missed Razor but the Sci-Fi Channel will repeat it about 1000 times over the next month so no worries there. There's also supposed to be a hi-def DVD of the movie released at some point.

I go back and forth on the new Battlestar Galactica. On the one hand, I do like the overall story arc and the characters are far better realized than in the old show - especially Baltar. I can also watch Tricia Helfer's No. 6 for hours and hours without getting bored.

On the other hand, certain characters really get on my nerves; especially Starbuck who vacillates all over the place and has turned into one of the most annoying characters on TV for me - there is such a thing as being too complex. I was one of the few people jumping for joy when she was killed off, only to be disappointed by her return.

I've also been hearing that because of the ongoing writers strike, the series may not end this season as it was originally supposed to.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Run for the hills! Brett Ratner is directing a remake of The Incredible Shrinking Man. Eddie Murphy will star. Sounds terrible already.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22401
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    John Drake wrote:
    Run for the hills! Brett Ratner is directing a remake of The Incredible Shrinking Man. Eddie Murphy will star. Sounds terrible already.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22401
    The fact that Murphy is starring is what IMO makes it sound questionable. I like both Murphy and Ratner (especially Murphy) but I don't quite see it as a comedy. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    As if the Lily Tomlin assault on the story wasn't bad enough! With today's special effects a filmmaker could really do justice to Shrinking Man, but somehow I doubt this will be the serious and suspenseful film it should be. How much you wanna bet that Eddie Murphy will be playing multiple roles and that there will be lots of jokes about his decreasing ability to satisfy his wife? Sigh. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited April 2008
    If Eddie Murphy is really in this, then it's a pretty safe bet it will have more in common with the Lily Tomlin farce than the classic film from the 50's.

It's stuff like this and Keannu Reeves' remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still that give sci-fi a black eye with the general public. 8-)
    edited November 2008
    So, has anyone else heard about Joel Silver's planned remake/sequel to Forbidden Planet? Here's a link to a story at the Hollywood Reporter; Forbidden Planet Remake

Now, before everyone gets in a tizzy, it should be noted that J. Michael Straczynski is writing the script. And based on some of his blog entries he's treating it as more of a sequel than a remake. Furthermore, the plan is to go retro with the look of the film so that the production design will echo the look of the original film. And Straczynski's script even includes Robby The Robot, as he appeared in the original.

Straczynski clearly respects the source material (he had more than one reference to Forbidden Planet on Babylon 5). Let's cross our fingers and hope that this one won't be a trainwreck.
    Looks like another sci-fi reboot is on its way. Back in the late 1960s, Gerry Anderson (of Thunderbirds and Space 1999 fame) created a live action sci-fi show called UFO, about a secret government agency called SHADO who was fighting a war with advanced aliens who were coming to Earth to kidnap humans to harvest their body parts. As was the case with Anderson's other shows, UFO had some fantastic sets, toys and special effects. The show lasted only one season and can be viewed as something of a very loose prequel to Space 1999 with a somewhat quirkier and more 60s vibe.

Well according to this article at AICN - UFO To Be Rebooted - it now looks like the property is headed for the big screen via a big budget reboot.

The show is widely available on DVD (UFO at Amazon.com) and if you're into sci-fi or Gerry Anderson's stuff, you may want to check it out so that you can be properly upset and heartbroken when the "new and improved" version is released.
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    Space 1999 and UFO must have two of the most enjoyable - and retro camp - theme tunes in television history. I hope they remember the music if they ever update these shows...and have everyone dressed in silver foil with luminous wigs. Overall, I think Captain Scarlet might possibly have been Gerry Anderson's finest hour.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    Looks like another sci-fi reboot is on its way. Back in the late 1960s, Gerry Anderson (of Thunderbirds and Space 1999 fame) created a live action sci-fi show called UFO, about a secret government agency called SHADO who was fighting a war with advanced aliens who were coming to Earth to kidnap humans to harvest their body parts. As was the case with Anderson's other shows, UFO had some fantastic sets, toys and special effects. The show lasted only one season and can be viewed as something of a very loose prequel to Space 1999 with a somewhat quirkier and more 60s vibe.

Well according to this article at AICN - UFO To Be Rebooted - it now looks like the property is headed for the big screen via a big budget reboot.

The show is widely available on DVD (UFO at Amazon.com) and if you're into sci-fi or Gerry Anderson's stuff, you may want to check it out so that you can be properly upset and heartbroken when the "new and improved" version is released.

Spec, ol' buddy...what were you saying about a certain show, that we both love, that might be a little too obscure for a reboot?

UFO is more under the radar than Space:1999 was. What do you think might be next if that one takes off well? :#
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    Space 1999 and UFO must have two of the most enjoyable - and retro camp - theme tunes in television history. I hope they remember the music if they ever update these shows...and have everyone dressed in silver foil with luminous wigs. Overall, I think Captain Scarlet might possibly have been Gerry Anderson's finest hour.

Arthur, long time no see! Glad to see you back on the boards. And before you ask, no, they haven't gotten rid of Daniel Craig yet. :))

My brother and I used to watch UFO religiously when we were kids; when the shows were released on DVD we pounced on them. Some of the 60s kitsch dates the series, but it still holds up well. I never got into Captain Scarlett but I'd like to give that one another viewing; sadly, those shows are never on TV anymore.

RogueAgent wrote:
    Spec, ol' buddy...what were you saying about a certain show, that we both love, that might be a little too obscure for a reboot?

UFO is more under the radar than Space:1999 was. What do you think might be next if that one takes off well? :#

Spec just came over to my office; they called a skeleton crew at his court (he gets all the perks!). Yeah, we were marvelling at this news as well. UFO was very much a show of its time; it'll be interesting to see what they do with it if it sees the light of day. You should definitely check out the show if you get a chance.

And speaking of sci-fi reboots, I'm reading that ABC has got a new version of "V" in the wings. The pilot has been completed and it looks like the network will be ordering a series. There are some previews over at AICN and it looks like the delectable Elizabeth Mitchell from Lost is one of the leads.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    edited May 2009
    (Claps hands) I can't beleive I didn't spot this topic till now!

Whre do I start? Ok, all Trek (except Enterprise, and I was flim-flam on the latest film.) I love Stargate SG1 as well, and my favorite of the cult classics is of course, the great sixties icon that is Thunderbirds!

Others I enjoy...

Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Captain Scarlet (original version), The Time Tunnel, X Files, The classic Star Wars films, Dr Who, Stargate Atlantis (Seasons 1 and 2 only.) Forbidden Planet, Day The Earth Stood Still (Original version) The Andromeda Strain, Lost In Space, The Prisoner, The Invaders, Seaquest DSV (I only saw season 1) Terrahawks, Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, The Tomorrow People (90s version). Bugs, The Girl From Tomorrow, Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, The Tripods, The Bionic Woman (New Version), Red Dwarf, Buffy The Vampire Slayer & Angel series. (In Angel's case I only saw up to halfway through season 2), and - Primeval! It makes me laugh.

Needless to say, this is an incomplete list!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?

Welcome to the fold brother! A lot of those titles you mentioned adorn my DVD library as well; I only wish WB would get off its arse and release a BluRay version of Forbidden Planet already.

BTW, when are the folks at ex artis scientia going to give us a rendering of the bridge from the new movie? I'm always on the lookout for a new background...
    TonyDP wrote:

Welcome to the fold brother! A lot of those titles you mentioned adorn my DVD library as well; I only wish WB would get off its arse and release a BluRay version of Forbidden Planet already.

BTW, when are the folks at ex artis scientia going to give us a rendering of the bridge from the new movie? I'm always on the lookout for a new background...

You nosey around Ex Astris Scientia? Fantastic! - You could send Bernd an email and ask him? A lot of them are from the Star Trek fact files. - I winced when I saw the Excelsior one, so I provided the corrected version.
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    Arthur, long time no see! Glad to see you back on the boards. And before you ask, no, they haven't gotten rid of Daniel Craig yet. :))

:D Yes, I've certainly kept very busy running the Daniel Craig Fan Club and Appreciation Society. If you join now you get a free Some Voices themed bubble bath. Captain Scarlet is a great show if you ever get to see it. An indestructible puppet, who looks like Scottish football pundit Alan Hansen, dressed in a camp red uniform battling ghost Martians. They don't make them like that anymore! I'd add Crusade to Thunderbird's list. The effects were rubbish but I liked the characters and the story arc was interesting. They pulled the plug after 10 episodes or something.
    Time to revive a long dormant thread with some cool news: master special effects artist Douglas Trumbull is putting together an extensive documentary on the making of 2001: A Space Odyssey which will include tons of behind the scenes info and interviews with surviving cast members and many behind the scenes artists. This looks to be an official production financed by Warner Bros. and a he has already put together a preliminary trailer. Click on the link below for more info and a look at the trailer for 2001: Beyond The Infinite.

http://blastr.com/2010/09/first-trailer-for-the-epi.php
    edited September 2010
    Great link, Thanks Tony!

One thing I am not clear on, with the documentary be a one off, either on the telly or DVD, or is it planned to be a mega bonus feature to be released with the film itself?

I love the technical production precision and elegance of 2001, but I always find the film so flat and depressing. There is more emotion conveyed in the book, but I find the film extremely depressing and up its own rear. To me its far from the greatest Sci Fi movie ever as most of the critics would have us believe! It lacks characterisation, - no humanity.

Even as a book Arthur C C wrote another story that is far more engaging than 2001, while still remaining true Sci Fi. "The Songs Of Distant Earth." At first I found it hard to believe it was by the same author!
    I get the sense the documentary will be a standalone feature ala the "Hearts of Darkness" documentary of Apocalypse Now, probably with a limited theatrical run followed by a home video release. I find it hard to believe so much effort would be put into a simple DVD featurette.

2001 is a cold and impersonal film but I think Kubrick meant it to be that way, showing the dehumanizing aspects of outer space. It is an acquired taste and you have to be in the right mood to watch it but it still is a mesmerizing film to me. Its also interesting how 2001 the novel and its sequels have such a different feel from the movie and really highlights the differences in philosophy between Clarke and Kubrick.

I've been a huge fan of Arthur C. Clarke for ages (even corresponded briefly with him in the mid 1980s). Songs of Distant Earth is a great novel; if you like that one you should also check out The Fountains of Paradise at some point. The stories are vastly different in terms of plot but they share a similar emotional tone IMO.
  • Ricardo C.Ricardo C. Posts: 916MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    I get the sense the documentary will be a standalone feature ala the "Hearts of Darkness" documentary of Apocalypse Now, probably with a limited theatrical run followed by a home video release. I find it hard to believe so much effort would be put into a simple DVD featurette.

2001 is a cold and impersonal film but I think Kubrick meant it to be that way, showing the dehumanizing aspects of outer space. It is an acquired taste and you have to be in the right mood to watch it but it still is a mesmerizing film to me. Its also interesting how 2001 the novel and its sequels have such a different feel from the movie and really highlights the differences in philosophy between Clarke and Kubrick.

I've been a huge fan of Arthur C. Clarke for ages (even corresponded briefly with him in the mid 1980s). Songs of Distant Earth is a great novel; if you like that one you should also check out The Fountains of Paradise at some point. The stories are vastly different in terms of plot but they share a similar emotional tone IMO.

Both Blade Runner and 2001, IMO, ruined the fantasy of the future and space travel forever in film. Yeah it's harsh but that's what I honetly believe. I especially hate the look of Blade Runner with it's ugly "boxy" set design and it has dated terribly. I love the fun stuff like Buck Rogers or Forbidden Planet, so much more pleasing to the eye and much more imaginative.

I also understand 2001's intent to be "a nature in real time" sort of film but it's boring, I don't have the patience for it. Yes, I am also not ashamed of saying that. I love sunsets but I would never be so bored as to look at one occur.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    TonyDP wrote:
    Time to revive a long dormant thread with some cool news: master special effects artist Douglas Trumbull is putting together an extensive documentary on the making of 2001: A Space Odyssey which will include tons of behind the scenes info and interviews with surviving cast members and many behind the scenes artists. This looks to be an official production financed by Warner Bros. and a he has already put together a preliminary trailer. Click on the link below for more info and a look at the trailer for 2001: Beyond The Infinite.

http://blastr.com/2010/09/first-trailer-for-the-epi.php

My favourite film of all time.

Bar none.

Perhaps the closest any film has every come, IMHO, to pure art. I'll own the documentary the instant it's available. And yes...I have paused to watch complete sunrises occur. The event never fails to have a poetic impact on me as it unfolds. Wish I had the time to do it more often {:)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Ricardo C. wrote:
    Both Blade Runner and 2001, IMO, ruined the fantasy of the future and space travel forever in film. Yeah it's harsh but that's what I honetly believe. I especially hate the look of Blade Runner with it's ugly "boxy" set design and it has dated terribly. I love the fun stuff like Buck Rogers or Forbidden Planet, so much more pleasing to the eye and much more imaginative.

I also understand 2001's intent to be "a nature in real time" sort of film but it's boring, I don't have the patience for it. Yes, I am also not ashamed of saying that. I love sunsets but I would never be so bored as to look at one occur.

2001 and Blade Runner are not for everyone but I can't see how they ruined the future and space travel. 2001 is really something of a blip on the radar as far as sci-fi films go; there really hasn't been anything like it before or since (except maybe the original Solaris and Star Trek: The Motion Picture) and most modern sci-fi films eschew its sensibilities in favor of a more ADD approach to plot and action. Even the sequel, 2010, was plotted very differently with an attempt at more of a mass market appeal. I guess the fact that so few movies have followed its approach is is part of 2001's charm.

As for Blade Runner, I don't see it as being dated at all and like it or not, its art style is something has has been and continues to be copied by film after film - everything from Judge Dredd to Tim Burton's Batman. If you are ever inclined you should check out the book Future Noir as it goes into great detail into the making of the film and does a good job of explaining the rationale behind the movie's aesthetic.

I never really fancied Buck Rogers (either the old serials or the campy TV show) but Forbidden Planet is an undisputed classic that stands right up with with the best of them including 2001. The BluRay edition was released last week and features a really nice, sharp master with vivid colors and tons of supplemental material. My copy should be arriving in a few days.
    edited September 2010
    TonyDP wrote:
    I guess the fact that so few movies have followed its approach is is part of 2001's charm.

I can't see the film as charming personally, a bit more disdant than that. As why I feel 2001 and BR ruined space travel and fantasy, everything became regulated to the mundane and the atmosphere of both films were just bleak and cold and generally just depressing. If that's the future then please put me out of my misery right now.
    As for Blade Runner, I don't see it as being dated at all and like it or not, its art style is something has has been and continues to be copied by film after film- everything from Judge Dredd to Tim Burton's Batman.

Yes I have seen that awful style of Blade Runner imitated constantly in weaker and weaker imitations, Judge Dredd is a good example and that awful Lost in Space movie. Also Tim Burton's Batman ? I am not entirely sure where you can see even a remote influence from BR. Gotham City in Batman was art-deco combined with german expressionism; I guess even some steampunk thrown in. I found that a lot easier on the eyes.

I never really fancied Buck Rogers (either the old serials or the campy TV show) but Forbidden Planet is an undisputed classic that stands right up with with the best of them including 2001. The BluRay edition was released last week and features a really nice, sharp master with vivid colors and tons of supplemental material. My copy should be arriving in a few days.

Forbidden Planet, War of The Worlds, and The Day The Earth Stood Still are all the films, IMO, should stand for what science fiction should be.
    Ricardo C. wrote:
    I can't see the film as charming personally, a bit more disdant than that. As why I feel 2001 and BR ruined space travel and fantasy, everything became regulated to the mundane and the atmosphere of both films were just bleak and cold and generally just depressing. If that's the future then please put me out of my misery right now.

Forbidden Planet, War of The Worlds, and The Day The Earth Stood Still are all the films, IMO, should stand for what science fiction should be.

Kind of interesting that you find 2001 and BR bleak and cold yet enjoy War of the Worlds (I assume you're talking about the 1953 version) which for about 9/10 of its running time was about as bleak and hopeless as they come. Watching the Martian War Machines lay waste to so much of the world was one of the more depressing viewing experiences of my youth. As far as George Pal movies go, I've always preferred his more hopeful take on The Time Machine, even if it doesn't quite capture the more cynical spirit of the novella its based on.
    TonyDP wrote:
    Ricardo C. wrote:

Kind of interesting that you find 2001 and BR bleak and cold yet enjoy War of the Worlds (I assume you're talking about the 1953 version) which for about 9/10 of its running time was about as bleak and hopeless as they come. Watching the Martian War Machines lay waste to so much of the world was one of the more depressing viewing experiences of my youth. As far as George Pal movies go, I've always preferred his more hopeful take on The Time Machine, even if it doesn't quite capture the more cynical spirit of the novella its based on.

The mood was grim in The World of The Wars but it was a visual feast and yes I do mean the 1953 adaptation.

Believe or not I found The Time Machine more depressing because of the vision of the future; In this day and age it's too easy to see that society will become so inept that people will simply cease to develop their minds. However that is candyland compared to Terry Gilliam's Brazil; Funny, imaginative, and down right horrifying. Still I can enjoy all the times I mention over 2001 and Bladerunner because all those films have a truly unique and imaginative look to them. Yes I enjoy the natural beauty displayed in 2001 but I can't stand the interior of the space station for example.
    I have awful news - found this link on Doug Drexlers web blog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2cG1dkkqwY&feature=player_embedded

Mr Trumbull says it himself - the Documentary project got bashed on the head by Warner Bs! 8-)