Sci-FI

Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    I have awful news - found this link on Doug Drexlers web blog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2cG1dkkqwY&feature=player_embedded

Mr Trumbull says it himself - the Documentary project got bashed on the head by Warner Bs! 8-)

That stinks; I'm willing to bet some beancounter got cold feet and nixed it. Oh well, at least there will be a new book on the making of the movie. Not the same as what this documentary was shaking up to be but better than nothing.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I'm currently going through the collected works of ACC and have always enjoyed sci fi shorts - their escape from the worries of life captivated my attention as a young boy. Reading "Cosmic Casanova" yesterday and it's only three pages but I love that first person style and of course those twist endings. Kubrick's collaboration with Clarke resulted in one of cinema's greats for sure. However I do so absolutely love golden age Astounding stories influenced genre classics like Day & Worlds. The Time Machine and Journey To The Center of the Earth. Just hearing the music from Day gives me chills.

Ever seen Capricorn One? I watched that at a drive in. (at least, I think i did, all I remember is an astronaut dying of hunger in the desert and snake for dinner)
    Arthur C. Clarke's short stories are pure gold. A few years back I bought a big far hardcover that collected all his short fiction into one volume and I'm always going back to it. You're absolutely right that those stories did (and continue to) just take me away from the care of our hum-drum world.

I saw Capricorn One ages ago when it first played on NBC. Quite honestly I didn't care for it as it played right into the hands of those conspiracy theory nuts who say we faked the moon landing and similar garbage. With Peter Hyams it seems no matter what the subject matter he always has to spin it into some political statement. He did the same thing with his overall lackluster adaptation of Clarke's 2010.

As for me I saw Star Trek (the JJ Abrams 2008 edition) last night and I must say the movie does hold up to repeated viewings. Have you seen that one yet Alex?

My brother and I also finally received the Forbidden Planet BluRay and that looked phenomenal.
    Sorry but I've yet to visit that movie, it's available for five dollars in some places and I still am not inclined to give it a fair shake. Go figure. Feel free to sigh in my general direction. I probably deserve it.

I seem to recall parts of the plot to C1 now that you mentioned those asinine conspiracy theories, something about diverting or substituting a planterary surface with that of a desert. I don't know why I brought that one up it just popped into memory. I prefer the 50s and 60s styles and set designs to those of the 70s or 80s, the latter tended to be more accurate and realistic, yes, but something brimming with the beautiful art of Chesley Bonestell from the 50s is pioneer stuff and ultimately, more fulfilling to me.
    Alex wrote:
    Sorry but I've yet to visit that movie, it's available for five dollars in some places and I still am not inclined to give it a fair shake. Go figure. Feel free to sigh in my general direction. I probably deserve it.

No sighs here Alex; if you're not inclined to watch it that's your choice. FWIW, I have a sneaking suspicion you may not like it anyway given the way some scenes play out and some of the stuff that happens.
    I seem to recall parts of the plot to C1 now that you mentioned those asinine conspiracy theories, something about diverting or substituting a planterary surface with that of a desert. I don't know why I brought that one up it just popped into memory.

From what I recall of the plot Capricorn 1 was about how NASA and the US Government fake a landing on Mars after they discover a critical flaw in the space capsule that was to take astronauts there for real. As part of the elaborate cover-up they film the actual landing on a soundstage and even arrange for an unmanned capsule to fall back into the ocean. When the capsule burns up on re-entry the government decides to kill the astronauts, who have been reluctantly playing along lest NASA lose its funding. From there its a madcap race to see if the astronauts can make to a network news station before they are all picked off. As a fan of space exploration and NASA's accomplishments, I found the whole thing pretty insulting actually.
    I prefer the 50s and 60s styles and set designs to those of the 70s or 80s, the latter tended to be more accurate and realistic, yes, but something brimming with the beautiful art of Chesley Bonestell from the 50s is pioneer stuff and ultimately, more fulfilling to me.

As do I. Sadly most movies don't go for that aesthtic anymore. But, briefly getting back to Abrams' Star Trek, there were a few scenes of the Enterprise flying thru space that strongly evoked the covers from those 1970s James Blish adaptations.
    NASA picking off their astronauts? Oh, dear.

The fake landing conspiracies have always burned me up too. They underestimate the true capacity of man and are contemptible to say the least. I'm not sure how you feel about Erik Von Daniken, I remember Chariots Of The Gods and it was fascinating reading, yes, but I believe we are seriously poo pooing the accomplishments of the human race when extraterrestrial help is attrributed to building the monuments of the world. Same goes for Appollo 11 and all the later flights. Human ingenuity is also a natural human resource.
  • Ricardo C.Ricardo C. Posts: 916MI6 Agent
    edited September 2010
    I really hate the way JJ Abhrams directed Star Trek, ludicrous camera angles and constant lens flares. This is the "Michael Bay" film that sadly people go nuts over, something made by a man of limited imagination and too much money thrown at him. Everything and EVERYTHING is over blown, nothing feels remotely intimate in this film at all; It's all one massive action piece following another of planets being destroyed, car chases, one on one fights, giant monsters, etc. Nothing in this film seems bound to gravity or developed. Nero, who suppose to be the main villain but has little screen time, destroys entire planets and space fleets with a gigantic ship in mere moments; This villain is too silly and too powerful to be believed. The character development is also nil. Once again returning to Nero, what was his problem again ? All I can gather is Spock is blamed for not destroying a black hole in time which destroyed Nero's home planet and some crap about an alternate reality because of Nero's interference with Time, it's all just so stupid. This is the kind of story that is present in today's hackneyed super hero comic books. It's all so easy to write about entire planets being destroyed in science fiction and it's a poor route to take, you have to do something more creative if you want to generate thrills. Lastly, this is the same old crew of the Enterprise but they are hot, young twenty somethings who promoted instantly at the end of film. A "reboot" ? Please. More like a re-cast.

I am not a Trek fan and I haven't watched the tv series or previous films but really, wasn't the previous material more intelligent than this over budgeted flash in the pan ?
    Alex wrote:
    I prefer the 50s and 60s styles and set designs to those of the 70s or 80s, the latter tended to be more accurate and realistic, yes, but something brimming with the beautiful art of Chesley Bonestell from the 50s is pioneer stuff and ultimately, more fulfilling to me.

All those decades reflected the architecture of their times. Personally I find modern architecture is too cold and too impersonal, that's why I really don't like any space travel films of the 1970's and onward.

As for Capricorn One, I don't think anyone should take it too seriously especially something directed by Peter Hyams.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Alex wrote:

If you're a fan of Trek (any variety or subdivision) you really ought to give it a go, Alex. I think you'll enjoy it more than you might anticipate! B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Thanks guys, your recs for the JJ Abhrams Trek are food for thought and much appreciated. As well as your patience for my dragging heels.

I'm also flipping through De Kelly's biography right now, (off leave from work with a nasty case of flu), people who know me know the original TREK's the greatest program of all time. Since I have free time I'm also planning on watching an obscure film called Moon Zero Two which is in my collection and viewed once before. There's a pretty neat Neil Armstrong reference in this since it was made around the same time. I believe it was lampooned by Joel and the Bots at one point, but I think it's a pretty interesting picture, albeit a flop, about colonizing the planets. MST3K was an okay show but I actually enjoy this film on it's own merits. You have to meet these things half way because they actually made a few nice attempts at actual science. Of course I'm not too sure about discharging firearms in zero gravity. At least there were no bazooka rounds aboard ship like another oldie which comes to mind!
    Hope you get better real quick Alex. Once you're on the mend you may want to think about getting a flu shot; I got my first last year and it seemed to help me get thru the winter.

I remember reading about Moon Zero Two in one of my old Starlog photo guidebooks (anybody else remember those?) but I've never come across the movie; going to have to check youtube to see if there's a streamable version around.

BTW, since we're talking classic sci-fi movies and 50s style artwork, here's a little display that my brother and I recently put together. We're working on hunting down the pieces to put together another one.

forbiddenplanet01.jpg
    Alex wrote:
    Thanks guys, your recs for the JJ Abhrams Trek are food for thought and much appreciated. As well as your patience for my dragging heels.

If you like Transformers and it's ilk you'll love Star Trek.
    TonyDP wrote:
    Hope you get better real quick Alex. Once you're on the mend you may want to think about getting a flu shot; I got my first last year and it seemed to help me get thru the winter.

I remember reading about Moon Zero Two in one of my old Starlog photo guidebooks (anybody else remember those?) but I've never come across the movie; going to have to check youtube to see if there's a streamable version around.

BTW, since we're talking classic sci-fi movies and 50s style artwork, here's a little display that my brother and I recently put together. We're working on hunting down the pieces to put together another one.

forbiddenplanet01.jpg

Nice.
    Seeing as 2001: A Space Odyssey is pretty much my favorite movie of all time, the recent acquisition of a movie poster signed by stars Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood was the perfect opportunity to put together a little display that had been rolling around in my head for a long time. I printed up some mini-posters of other famous artwork from the film and pulled out an autograph I'd received from the late Arthur C. Clarke way back in 1987. It took 23 years for all the pieces to come together and the frame and matting job actually cost more than the other components, but I think the result was worth it.

MGMSciFiPoster.jpg
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Your geek collection is so vast and cool that I feel like I'd be charged admission just to do the grand tour, Tony. :))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Amazing, Tony B-) Congratulations.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Looking great Tony -{
  • darththorpedarththorpe Croydon, UKPosts: 5MI6 Agent
    im a big sci-fi fan, my favs are: Alien saga, Terminator 1&2, BSG, Predator saga, and i have some signed bits from films and BSG
    My brother put together another display from a classic sci-fi film. As you can imagine, we spent a lot of time ... ahem ... researching this one. Saving the galaxy once again ... Barbarella.

BarbarellaCollage.jpg
    Horns of a dilemma. What is my favorite Barbarella outfit? -{
  • SpectreIslandSpectreIsland spectreislandPosts: 274MI6 Agent
    Hey Alex, I'm glad I've given you some food for thought! :))
    I'm kind of partial to the skunk outfit myself :))
    Alex wrote:

My favorite picture was actually one that we couldn't post here. :v
    TonyDP wrote:
    Alex wrote:

My favorite picture was actually one that we couldn't post here. :v
    :))

I've always been a fan of the Ice Forest outfit - torn!! :x
    edited December 2011
    The trailer to Prometheus, Ridley Scott's kinda, sorta but not really a prequel to Alien is up. Looks really interesting to me and despite Scott's denials it and the original Alien do seem to share some of the same DNA. Have a look.

Quicktime
    http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/prometheus/

Flash
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=85434
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    MSN.com had an article today on the 50 greatest sci-fi movies of all time. For you sci-fi fans I thought I would post it. I don't claim to be a sci-fi expert so I won't comment. I warn you ahead of time, that this is one of those dreaded internet articles where they expect you to click 50 times to see the top 50 films. Annoying I know, but here it is anyways.

http://movies.msn.com/paralleluniverse/50-greatest-sci-fi-films/photo-gallery/feature/
    Thanks for posting Barry; that was a pretty interesting list and for what its worth I thought he covered a lot of the better sci-fi films made but also included some real stinkers. I don't think Starship Troopers or Total Recall should be anywhere on the list myself and I think John Carpenter's version of The Thing is far superior to the 1950 original (much more faithful as well). Forbidden Planet should also rank higher. Kudos for acknowledging Planet of the Vampires (also known as Demon Planet), an obscure but very entertaining little film.

There were what I consider to be some pretty glaring omissions:

- Planet of the Apes is an unquestioned sci-fi masterpiece (the 1968 original, not the horrible Tim Burton remake).
    - Soylent Green, if only for Edward G. Robinson's heartbreaking performance, should be viewed by any sci-fi fan
    - Logan's Run, released one year before Star Wars, really marked the end of the so-called "Golden Age" of sci-fi.
    - Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea should also definitely be on any top-50 list
    - Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove and A Clockwork Orange are seminal sci-fi tales.
    - First Men in the Moon (based on the novel by Jules Verne) is another often overlooked but very entertaining sci-fi film
    - George Pal's The Time Machine is also a far superior entry to many of the titles mentioned.
    - Rollerball, released in 1975 is another solid MGM entry that should be recognized.
    - Escape From New York is one of those movies that really transcended its limited scope and budget to earn its status as a classic.
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Another sci-fi fan here. Most of my favourite's are from the 1950's so that is my golden era. There are three noticeable absentees on that list from the 1950's that I can recall, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Them! and The Fly. Strangely enough I have yet to see the 1980's version of The Fly, but then I have never seen ET either. I tend to avoid films with kids.

One of my very favourite sci-films is not that well known. It features no aliens, monsters, apes or zombies. It's called The Day The Earth Caught Fire (1961). The story revolves around the devastating effects of nuclear testing gone wrong seen from the perspective of a British national newspaper and in particular one of it's reporters. It's extremely well written and acted and has a clever ending. I thoroughly recommend it.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    Strangely enough I have yet to see the 1980's version of The Fly, but then I have never seen ET either. I tend to avoid films with kids.

One of my very favourite sci-films is not that well known. It features no aliens, monsters, apes or zombies. It's called The Day The Earth Caught Fire (1961). The story revolves around the devastating effects of nuclear testing gone wrong seen from the perspective of a British national newspaper and in particular one of it's reporters. It's extremely well written and acted and has a clever ending. I thoroughly recommend it.

I second The Day The Earth Caught Fire. It has an almost Ray Bradbury feel about it, and is frighteningly compelling because of its down to earth style and believable effects.

You haven't see ET?! Oh Man I don't rate modern kid centric films, but the eighties had some golden classics, The Goonies and ET being top of the pile. The kids Mr Spielberg cast are great, and gave wonderful performances. I saw it when I was seven years old, and along with the undigitised, unedited 2/D original classic Star Wars, it was the film that introduced me to my love of Sci Fi.

The 80's version of The Fly is very different from the 50's film, scary, creepy and downright gross! Jeff Goldblum has to be seen to be believed.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    Nice to see a fellow fan of The Day The Earth Caught Fire.

As for ET and The Fly (1980's). I can see myself watching ET at some point in the future but I am a lot less certain about The Fly given the clip I have just seen on You Tube. Downright gross is right.

As for your avatar. Not exactly ideal for a James Bond forum but absolutely FAB. Three things stick in my mind when I think of Thunderbird 2.

1. The launch procedure, love the palm trees splitting.
    2. Flying through the Himalayas? in the Sun Probe episode.
    3. The crash on Tracy Island and the release of the foam to extinguish the fire (Countdown To Disaster).

Brilliant stuff.
    Here is the full international launch trailer of Prometheus. Ridley Scott's Alien prequel? It certainly looks familiar, judging by the trailer.

Prometheus International Launch Trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1byZkbNB3Jw