Bonds Pistol in QOS

Comments

• Apocrypha23Apocrypha23 Posts: 177MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    The real versions are really comfortable to use with ergonomics surprising similar to the P99. I don't know what difference they've made to the airsoft one, but the use and feel of the PPS is completely different to how it actually looks. Plus it isn't forged by Chuck Norris, it's forged by Andy McNab :D

Fair enough, I'll give a real one a squeeze when I can. Unfortunately I have to be a bit picky. I can't afford to buy every pistol I have a passing interest in.
    Oh and did you know Andy McNab (like Bond) doesn't actually do press-ups? He lays on his back in space and bench-presses the Earth. ;)
  • StrykeStryke U.S.A.Posts: 41MI6 Agent
    I carry my P99 everyday and everywhere so the PPS really interests me for summer carry, although I have little trouble with the full size P99 in a Vega Holster (Thanks 007). But right now I am about to buy a Beretta 92 Compact L Type M so the PPS has to wait. Bond using a PPK is great but I really would have prefered the PPS or P99 for a modern Bond.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,838MI6 Agent
    Slightly off topic, but: 10 people were murdered in Norway during the first six months of 2008.
    It's official - I'm buying an Uzi to protect me and my family!{[]
  • FitzochrisFitzochris Posts: 242MI6 Agent
    edited July 2008
    Being from the UK, I find all this gun talk a little bizzare. Surely you guys in the States aren't permitted to walk the streets armed to the teeth? I thought you could just own firearms for home defence?
  • Red IndianRed Indian BostonPosts: 427MI6 Agent
    If you have a clean record you can go through the proper channels and obtain a concealed carry permit. However, laws vary from state to state.
    I see.

I'd hate to think what would happen if those laws were passed in the UK. It's bad enough with regards to people carrying guns and knives here without permits.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    "An armed society is a polite socety."

- Robert Heinlein
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Fitzochris wrote:
    I see.

I'd hate to think what would happen if those laws were passed in the UK. It's bad enough with regards to people carrying guns and knives here without permits.

Yeah, it would be horrible to allow law abiding citizens to carry weapons. Better to keep them in the hands of criminals only. 8-)
    edited July 2008
    And they say Yanks don't do sarcasm :))

How do you really define a law abiding citizen?

Unblemished record - driving happily down the motorway - someone cuts in front of them complete with a one-fingered salute - blam blam blam.

Nobody really knows if anybody is suitable to carry a firearm so my argument is that nobody should carry them.

If you've got one, the only reason you could possibly have for doing so is to use it.
    We try. :)

I think in a perfect world nobody would have guns, but to only "allow" criminals to have them seems silly and frightening.

Also, target-shooting is fun. {[]
    Forgive me. I posted above but promise to follow my own advise in the future........

"The Gun Debate" is really a poltical and social issue, best left for other venues. We'll never resolve it here. Especially since this forum covers the entire globe - hundreds of cultures and social systems.

So with all respect, if you dislike firearms, think no one should have them - post on another topic. Leave us JB firearms fans alone to celebrate "Bond's Pistol in QOS!
    I don't dislike firearms, I just don't think civilians should carry them. Wind your neck in.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Fitzochris wrote:
    Wind your neck in.

How rude.

Anyway, back on topic. I have heard today that P99's were requested for this film, but whether they receive any screen time is unknown.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited July 2008
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Fitzochris wrote:
    Wind your neck in.

How rude.

Anyway, back on topic. I have heard today that P99's were requested for this film, but whether they receive any screen time is unknown.

Maybe we are asking Revilo94 for his advise on both issues :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    The information on the P99's is interesting. Are the same folks supplying the firearms for QOS that supplied them for CR?

If so wouldn't they want to use some of the same weapons that appeared in CR, the HK rifle and the P99 come to mind.

It's all speculation, still I'm anxious for the upcoming "wankyness"!
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Fitzochris wrote:
    Wind your neck in.

How rude.

Honestly, I don't even know what that saying means. Before my time, maybe?
    It isn't rude. It means mind your own business. It's a UK saying.
    Fitzochris wrote:
    It isn't rude. It means mind your own business. It's a UK saying.

It is a public forum you know. In which case it is therefore a rude comment to make to someone who was being quite respectful in his reply to your posts.

Now can we please get back on topic. I opened this thread up to discuss Bonds sidearm and not the politics involved with citizens being armed and gun law.

And on the subject of the PPK, this could well be a personal choice of Bonds after he 'goes rogue', and the officially sanctioned P99 might still be in the beginning of the film. Well, one hopes ;)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    edited July 2008
    Asp9mm wrote:
    And on the subject of the PPK, this could well be a personal choice of Bonds after he 'goes rogue', and the officially sanctioned P99 might still be in the beginning of the film. Well, one hopes ;)

Guns are our business. And business is good.TM

B-)

Spot on, Asp9mm. I'd love to think that the PPK is a weapon to which Bond reverts when he's on his own...at any rate, I hope it's a plot point (however small) in the film.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • StrykeStryke U.S.A.Posts: 41MI6 Agent
    edited July 2008
    Interesting to hear about those P99's. I was figuring one would probably be in the film even with the PPK seeing that 007 has used one for the past 10 years now. (Wow, that long, seems like just yesterday.) I always said that the PPK is good for a backup gun or deep concealment but not exactly up to par when it comes to being a standard sidearm.

And for our UK friends who seem to be bothered by people carrying weapons, I will clarify and I only speak for myself. I carry a weapon daily because it is part of my job and the government says so. Nobody said we were all civilians.
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    Stryke wrote:
    And for our UK friends who seem to be bothered by people carrying weapons, I will clarify and I only speak for myself. I carry a weapon daily because it is part of my job and the government says so. Nobody said we were all civilians.

No problems here, the only ones I object to carrying weapons are the crims.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,677Chief of Staff
    Stryke wrote:

No problems here, the only ones I object to carrying weapons are the crims.

In a perfect world nobody would carry weapons - anybody looked out of a window recently.....?

As for Bond..... it's seems he will use a few different pistols this time - bringing back the Walther PPK is a nice fan moment, but would the modern Bond really use this weapon ? Over to the experts.........
    YNWA 97
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    edited July 2008
    Sir Miles wrote:
    As for Bond..... it's seems he will use a few different pistols this time - bringing back the Walther PPK is a nice fan moment, but would the modern Bond really use this weapon ? Over to the experts.........

Admittedly, though I proudly own and gleefully shoot a Walther PPK, I'm no expert---at least, not since the early '80's, when I shot 'expert' on a target range, for the U.S. Air Force Security Police, with a .38 Smith & Wesson---but I actually think Bond just might use this classic weapon by choice.

Assuming the PPK isn't just another of what is apparently a number of 'pick ups' during the course of this particular mission, it might be a piece for which Bond has a sentimental attachment---as a FlemingistTM, I always look to the source material :D ---I'm thinking of Bond's attachment to his admittedly underpowered Beretta .25.

If I were writing the script, I'd have Bond keep a PPK in reserve, for when he's either been stripped of his primary weapon, or has simply lost it.

However it appears, I'm certainly looking forward to the moment {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Just got back from "Hellboy 2", was hoping to see the QOS trailer - will have to go the "Batman" for that.... So I turned to "U tube" for another seek peek at the Bond 23 trailer .....

Really can't tell where the PPK is in all those quick shots. Didn't see the DB5 either - but I like the idea of Bond having/using the PPK as a "personal choice" with the P99 as his issue gun,

Maybe like ASP9mm, Bond was issued a PPK while in the "service" and developed an affinity for it. Closest I ever got to carrying a "Bond Gun" was the S&W Centennial as an off-duty weapon. At the time I chose the all-steel version as opposed to oo7's Airweight - so it was a rather "heavy" hunk of metal.
  • SIS7777SIS7777 Lots of different placesPosts: 45MI6 Agent
    edited July 2008
    A friend of mine bought a P99 a few years ago when he got his concealed carry permit. He has since switched to carrying a PPK, it is smaller, lighter, and easier to hide. This may also be the case with Bond. Once he goes rogue, he has no official sanction for carrying a pistol... and would thus want something he can hide more easily. With modern hollow-point ammunition the 7.65, or .380 as we have it in the US, is sufficient at close range. Like Major Boothroyd so eloquently put it, "Like a brick through a plate glass window."
    edited July 2008
    7289 wrote:
    Maybe like ASP9mm, Bond was issued a PPK while in the "service" and developed an affinity for it.

I was issued a PPK, but I was never without a BHP as my main sidearm, two if you include the ones we used in cars with extended mag. The PPK was mostly used by women in hotter months. I only knew of one person that carried the PPK as the main arm, and that was only under exceptional circumstances.

In this day and age, carrying a PPK when there are other more reliable and more powerful pistols of near enough the same size with equal and higher capacity magazines is a dubious choice. Personal preference may play a part. My favourite pistol is the S&W 3913, which holds half the rounds of a BHP, but I'm faster and far more accurate with it. And that confidence always has an edge.
    Wait a minute ASP9mm, are you saying the Walther PPK is a "ladies gun"?

;)
  • swg0586swg0586 Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    I know 7.65 mm ammunition as .32 ACP :)
    7289 wrote:
    Wait a minute ASP9mm, are you saying the Walther PPK is a "ladies gun"?

;)

Er, kinda, well er... not really, abit perhaps. It was just more natural with the rest of the kit we carried on our belts and in pockets (radio, batteries, 2x spare mags, cameras etc.) for women to choose the smaller PPK when it was hot. People wouldn't look twice at men with a jacket on, but women had it much harder as it was unnatural for them to wear bulky clothing in heat. They never carried their main arm in a handbag as you see so often on TV. We'ed of much rather faced an Armalite with a BHP than a PPK :D
    Phew!

For a moment there ASP9mm, I was afraid you were trying to inject "reality" into a discussion about Bond's pistol!

;)