Bonds Pistol in QOS

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote:
    [quote=Asp9mm Again, I think it was you that pointed out that there could well be a link between Theodore and Bonds Beretta, the ASP and PPK. It was the PPK that Theodore first converted into an ASP. It would be cool if the Fleming books created that spark in Theodores mind.

To that I plead most guilty!

While I think it likely that Theodore was inspired by Fleming and the Bondian Beretta, I suppose some folks out there would say it was more likely that both Fleming and Theodore were out to create the same result, and just took different routes. I'd say that Theodore's end product was infinitly better than Fleming's. ;)

As for the PPK, absent being made famous by Fleming, I think we would still hold it in high esteem for the classic firearm design it is. Except for it's chambering, it's damn near the perfect pistol - all due respect to J.M. Browning![/quote]

Agreed, the PPK is one good looking pistola with an extraordinary history, and it is still in the top ten for what it was designed for. Good designs like the BHP, 1911 and PPK will never die.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    The notion of a 'pretty' gun has always disturbed me. Sure, it looks cool on a poster, but these things kill people :s
    edited May 2008
    The notion of a 'pretty' gun has always disturbed me. Sure, it looks cool on a poster, but these things kill people :s

Nope, that's down to the people shooting them. Guns like knives and samurai swords are tools, and can also be beautiful pieces of engineering and art, you can't blame an inaminate object for the bad people in the World and what they do with them.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent

I agree 100% with ASP9mm, and would hate to see this thread derailed by a "political" discussion that belongs elsewhere.

Thanks but no thanks!
    Yeah, back on topic...

pps6.jpg

And for anyone that missed the pics, scroll down page 16... http://www.ajb007.co.uk/index.php?topic=28521&cpage=16
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Here's one for Nighshooter with a BIG suppressor...

pps13.jpg

Much appreciated, Brother. {[]

Seriously, awesome stuff. A very neat little pistol.
  • Herr MichaelHerr Michael Posts: 360MI6 Agent
    The Walther PPK was the first successful DA pistol marketed. Every pistol before it had been SA only.

There was another DA a couple of years earlier, but the design doomed it to failure.

It was (and still is) dangerous to carry a loaded SA weapon with the hammer down on a live round, but it was either carry it like that, or carry it with an empty chamber and pray you had time to rack it before needing it.

JMB solved part of the SA problem with a design that could be carried with the hammer locked in condition 1 and carried safely. He followed it up with the successful BHP.

Unfortunately, this design didn't translate well to smaller pistols, and it took Walther to design a DA pistol that could be safely carried with a round in the chamber and ready as soon as it was in your hand.

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
    With those nifty pictures, it's really hard not to think that EON missed the boat when they declined the PPS for oo7.

Still, I'm trying to keep and open - spoiler free - mind on QOS and am hoping it proves me wrong. Would lie to see the PPK rise like a Phoenix from the ashes of the P99 - Just hoping the P99 makes a guest shot at the least!
    How could they not like this combo:

pps7.jpg

Lets hope Eon trawl these sites and get wise, if they havn't already :v
    I'm praying that they pick me as firearms consultant for the next film!

I'll get 'em straightened out!

;)
    New images are out and Bond is holding yet another pistol 8-)

This time it looks like a Browning Hi-Power:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/quantum-of-solace-20080509114305623.jpg

Here's a close up picture:

quantum-of-solace-20080509114305-1.jpg

Clearly different from the earlier indentified Sig:

24577_Quantum_of_Solace_519_122_573.jpgquantum-of-solace-20080509114305-1.jpg
  • Cynjin SmythCynjin Smyth Rocky MountiansPosts: 98MI6 Agent
    OK so it's not the best looking weapon out on the market but will it do the job as Bond would need it to, Yes. I do hope that the new PPS will so up in QOS. Not sure how but it does look nicer with the silencer on it. I all was thought that Bond should have two guns, his main weapon and a small back up. For those who say the P99 is hard to concel I use a P99AS as a cop and even in the summer I can hide it in shorts and a t-shirt. You just got to know how to do it.
    Bond: You don't think I enjoyed what we did this evening, do you? What I did tonight was for King and country! You don't think it gave me any pleasure, do you?
    Fiona: But of course, I forgot your ego, Mr. Bond. James Bond, who only has to make love to a woman and she starts to hear heavenly choirs singing.
    It's certainly slim enough for a BHP. The ejection port, sights, and hammer look correct too.
    Seeing this picture I retreived my trusty P.35 from the safe and did a quick compare with the larger picture in ASP9mm's photobucket file.

The ejection port looks too big - they do open them up for blanks though, and the rebate on the front of the slide too short, and the taper at the back of the slide a bit long.....

I am thinking one of those newer Astra's or prehaps a CZ?

Could be just a P35 ....

Looks like oo7 is making use of "found" weaponry in this outing .... very realistic!!!!
    The ejection port looks the same as mine held at that angle. Where do you see a taper on the slide? It looks straight as an arrow to me.
    The ejection port on the pistol DC is holding appear to me to come further over the top of the slide than on my BHP, even when held at that angle.

By taper, I mean the end of the slide where the hammer interfaces ... seems longer to me - like a the tang is extended.

One thing I am sure of, the rear sight seems to far back on the slide and the cuts on either side of the slide are shorter.

I could be all wet, it is after all not a great picture of the firearm, just voicing some doubts. There are alot of "foreign" autos out there like the PMK(?) that are BHP ripoffs and it could be one of those....

BHP004-2.jpg
    The muzzle taper looks too short for a BHP, but a MK I matches up in every other way apart from that, I did think it may be a CZ, but can't remember what the port looked like and other things don't match up to the CZ.
    Oh No!

Another mystery Bond gun......how neat!
    Woo hoo. QOS is looking like a splendid gunfest. I was told that I'd be exited by whats going to happen in terms of Bond pistol. So now we know he used at least three. Going with BHP on the last on though. Now how about some leaked pics of Bond using the P99 or PPS, or both hyper.gif
    7289 wrote:
    BHP004-2.jpg

Is this your BHP? And if so why have you not had the mag safety removed yet ;)
    edited May 2008
    Yes, that particular BHP is mine. It just got back from a loan to some International gang of firearms trainers who used it for familiarization practice. I was impressed that they didn't bang it up and they even cleaned it!

The first modifaction I did was to remove that horrible magazine safety - I replaced the pin and staked it in! I had Novak's add the sights and I installed a C&S hammer and sear. The grips are from Craig Spegel.

It's too nice a pistol for a rough fellow like oo7, who tosses his pistol around like it was a hockey puck!
    edited May 2008
    I lived with a BHP for 2 years not being more than 12 inches from me throughout, and more rounds through it than most serious shooters shoot in a lifetime. The only pistol that came even close to it was a S&W 3913.

bhp.jpg
    ASP9mm,

You can't go wrong with the P35, probably the best 9mm "out there", but it is a very crowded field these days.

It's a tribute to the designers that these classic designs (BHP, 1911, PPK) are still viable and competetive even when they are getting pretty "long in the tooth".

Like those grips on your P35 ASP9mm, are they micarta?
    I've got Micarta on mine from brownell's, but i repainted them brown.

I like them because they are much thinner than the factory grips.

Speaking of 'best' 9mm's, don't count out the P5 and P88 among those. The P88 is a mechanical marvel and second only to the SIG P-210 for out-of-the-box accuracy.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Woo hoo. QOS is looking like a splendid gunfest. I was told that I'd be exited by whats going to happen in terms of Bond pistol. So now we know he used at least three. Going with BHP on the last on though. Now how about some leaked pics of Bond using the P99 or PPS, or both hyper.gif

I have to agree..... I not sure where all this gun savvy is coming from considering the "cowboy" way EON has treated gunhandling in the past. But we do know for sure that what has been released so far is very encouraging.

All this is really making it hard to wait until November with any dignity at all!

:007)
    [quote=7289All this is really making it hard to wait until November with any dignity at all!

:007)[/quote]

Oh God!! You've soiled yourself havn't you :o
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited May 2008
    Asp9mm wrote:
    hyper.gif

nurse.gif
    ... and I've told you to take your pills today, Asp9mm!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    I need them. I've fallen in luuuurve with this...

tiki_375_375.jpg

tiki1_368_206.jpg

tiki3_217_309.jpg

But for $10,000, I'll have to give it a miss.

A prize to the first person that can guess what it is :007)
    That looks to me like some form of STI, but for $10,000 - not sure I really want to know!

:s