Bonds Pistol in QOS

Comments

• James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    Hmmm, interesting. Thanks.
  • jbholstersjbholsters Posts: 179MI6 Agent
    Yeah, I have a .32 PPK and wouldn't think of carrying it. Especially in cold weather. I'm not sure the bullet would get enough penetration thru a heavy coat. All of the "specialty ammo" such as Mag-Safe and Glaser are pretty much worthless in that caliber. The best ammo to carry is a plain old jacketed bullet with the .32.

Not crazy about .380's either. And with all of the small 9 and 40's now available the .380 and smaller chambered guns (for carry) are becoming obsolete.
  • Herr MichaelHerr Michael Posts: 360MI6 Agent
    Try some Sellier & Belloit for your PPK if you can find it. It's FMJ ball and feeds reliably. It's hotter than US made ammo, but not quite +P.

Good stuff.

I don't feel comfortable carrying anything less than 9mmK, but 9mm whenever possible. Much easier to carry the P99 in winter than summer, but not impossible.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    I'm told by my guru like supplier of all info, that the pistol that we have seen in the pic where Craig is running is a new prototype Walther P55. Anyone else heard of this ?:) No, thought not :D
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Just took a closer look at the "mystery pistol", it looks alot like a P35 to me - nothing about it suggests Walther in any way....

P55?????

ASP9mm you are right!

:s
    Yeah, I want a good picture of this new Walther, but there are none out there.
    Ran a check of the German Walther site - no P55!

Any information on this model at all?
    None, zip, nada. I think this will be the fanwanky moment when he has a Walther arsenal in his car.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    None, zip, nada. I think this will be the fanwanky moment when he has a Walther arsenal in his car.

I could deal with that!!!

:)
    I'm going to treat this as speculative until I get more evidence. Until then, there's at least two people who are going to be driven nuts :D

Josh, how close are your contacts at S&W ;) {[]
    Back in the late '80's or early '90's Walther had created a 1911 style pistol called 'The Big Bore' no model number was included in the name.

This project was shelved with the developement of the P99 and the proliferation of 1911 style pistols currently on the market.

I doubt they would have sold many at the price they must have been wanting to charge.

Maybe they brought the project out of mothball.
  • SharpeSharpe Posts: 84MI6 Agent
    If the ppk was good enough for bond pre-tomorrow never dies...then why isn't it good enough now? Surely the ppk has the same stopping power as it did before? Does it really matter that other guns (the same size?) have more stopping power? It's like saying 'well, before, bond always used a butter knife to butter bread, but why use a butter knife when you can cut it much more easily with a steak knife!'

It's like all technology - just because new models come out doesnt mean the older models work any less well than they did before. There's just something better out there. If the P99 is much better than the ppk it's a moot point for the movie as the ppk looks alot better and is 'bond's gun' to me. Plus most people around the world don't care about the realism with stopping power as it's mainly americans who fire guns.

And maybe it's a special MI6 ppk that has more stopping power than a normal one.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    N...n...n....n....new Walther? P55?

This is EXCITING! ;%
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    Asp9mm wrote:
    I'm told by my guru like supplier of all info, that the pistol that we have seen in the pic where Craig is running is a new prototype Walther P55. Anyone else heard of this ?:) No, thought not :D

Naaaaaaaa, ASP 9mm.
    I have been talking with the best source that can be: There is nothing about the P55 project to be seen in QoS.

So far the Gurus, listen to the right Gurus, I suggest :)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited April 2008
    N...n...n....n....new Walther? P55?

This is EXCITING! ;%

I'm inclined to go with Bondtoys info on this one. There is more involvement from Walther in this film, but to what extent we don't know as they are keeping shtum. My Guru is an absolutely reputable source and has never been wrong, but the P55 my have been a typo, could be PSS or PPS. As most people here know, Walther are not forthcoming in their association with the Bond franchise.

Only time will tell, but I'm putting the P55 myth to bed. Sorry folks :D
    24577_Quantum_of_Solace_519_122_573.jpg

Looks like a Sig P226 to me.
    It is! Look at the back of the slide and the grip tang. see also the cuts on the barrel hood.

Thanks for clearing that up.{[]
    It is! Look at the back of the slide and the grip tang. see also the cuts on the barrel hood.

Thanks for clearing that up.{[]

Yeah, that's what stood out so much to me. Very distinctive in the SIG range.
    You can just barely make out the decocker ahead of his thumb too.
  • StrykeStryke U.S.A.Posts: 41MI6 Agent
    Sharpe wrote:
    If the ppk was good enough for bond pre-tomorrow never dies...then why isn't it good enough now?

It wasn't. The PPK has really been underpowered for a long time due to its caliber and low-capacity magazines. It is much more of a Civilian defense weapon or a deep cover weapon than for someone like Bond. If Bond was like a real-life spy then the PPK would be adequate, but lets face it, he isn't.
    With Bond being pure Cinema at this point, and Fleming long gone to us. oo7's sidearm is really only a matter of tradition. It is nice to see oo7 continue on with the PPK, a beautifully crafted, classic pistol, chosen by Fleming himself.

No doubt Fleming would have dropped the PPK years ago, and prehaps like the follow-up authors suggested replaced it with a ASP or a Devel - someting thin, slick and in 9 mm. Had IF been with us long enough he may have chosen the P99!

IMO PB never looked convincing using the P99, especially when he shot two guns at a time - pure piffle! But DC's Bond with a harder, modern edge, made the P99 a perfect fit. How DC will handle a PPK or the P55(?) in QOS remains to be seen.

I really love the scene in TLD when Bond takes on Whittaker with a PPK, only to be nearly devastated by Whittakers machine pistol "You've had your eight, now I'll have my eighty!" Bond should prevail in films not because of his superior handgun, but because of his wits, skill and determination.

If that remains the formula - in the end I suppose I'll eventually accept any reasonable choice of handgun - even the good old PPK.
  • ClarkyClarky IndianaPosts: 200MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    24577_Quantum_of_Solace_519_122_573.jpg

Looks like a Sig P226 to me.

Or a P229. It looks shorter than the P226. I currently have a P229 in .357 Sig and have certainly fired my share of rounds out of the P226. It is definitely a Sig but it's kind of hard to tell from this pic.
    That sure looks like a P226, too long for the 229. Makes sense too as Bond's partner "Carter" at the beginning of CR'06 pulled a P226 when he tried to chase Mollacka.

The 226 was also used by the bad guys in Venice!So this could be a "pick up" or an MI6 issue piece.
  • jbholstersjbholsters Posts: 179MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    That is definitely a 226 or 220 and not a 229. From the width of the barrel hood in relation to the slide width I'd say it's a 226. Most likely grabbed from a baddy. Still holding out hope we get to see one of these little puppies.
    pps-1.jpg
    Nice setup, looks pretty good with that ...."extension" on the barrel!
  • James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    JB,is that your pistol, or a stock photo? It's a great looking set up. It's illegal to have a silencer here where I live in Mass. :(
    Anybody gonna start a 'PPS for Bond' petition? :p
    Grown on you now has it?

I shot one last week and was very impressed. It is a fantastic little gun with minimal muzzle flip and very accurate and small. It looks much better in the flesh. Later I'll do a write up and post some pictures which reflect how good it looks. I'm expecting a deac version soon so will get it done then.
    There have been some teething problems with the PPS reported, but the majority of the little pistols seems to be doing just fine.

The PPS would have been the ideal successor to the P99 for DC's oo7. I was amoung those who initially thought this was one ugly beast, but time has changed that - I think Walther has again produced what will become a classic!
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Grown on you now has it?

... Yes. Once again, you were right. :'( :))