Novel 6 Suggestion & Criticism Thread

Comments

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    edited June 2007
    I think the ressurection of the soviet union can be amalgamated into our current plot ideas -although the Thorndyke trilogy -the last three collaborative novels did see a reemergence of SMERSH -so perhaps we shouldn't necessarily go that route. -what do others think?

(BTW I will post the list of contributers today. Just working out the best way to go.)

SC1

I'm not a huge fan of the Soviet Union idea, as I personally feel that it is something which has had it's day. Also, since a resurrected SMERSH featured in the Thorndyke trilogy, I agree with Sc1 that we should probably find some new threat.

However, if the majority of the contributors like the idea, I would certainly go along with it.
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Ok Here are the list of "writers" that will be contributing to Novel 6 and the suggested running order that they should write in:

Scaramanga1
    delicious
    Golrush007
    The Sly Fox
    Willie Garvin
    DAWUSS
    darenhat

This thread -the S&C thread is open to all members -but the actual novel 6 thread is open only to those that are listed above.
    The running schedule is usually three days for each contributer -to keep up momentum -if longer is needed -it has to be requested.

I suggest that we continue writing the prologue at the moment to get into the swing of things -and then we can start to develop the plot thereafter. After a contributer has posted their piece can they please pm the next in line -so they know they can go ahead and start on their section.
    Happy writing! :)
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I personally am looking forward to working with you guys! Everyone has had great ideas so far...it'll be fun to see this project evolve! {[]
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited June 2007
    Due to time constraints I will not be able to contribute to the novel, and I feel it is unfair on fellow contributors to not be fully onboard. I just wanted to say good luck to all those involved in the project and make a couple of suggestions if I may be so bold. :)

It is probably best to get a pretty firm storyline set before the writing process begins proper. This way there will be an end goal and the story won't grow arms and legs along the way. Also, perhaps a thorough discussion of the attributes of different characters would help so that the depiction of the characters is consistent throughout the novel.

The next bit is just personal preference, however a suggestion might be to avoid clichéd elements. Avoid silly Bond girl names and such. Sometimes in continuation novels one gets the feeling of 'Obligatory Moneypenny/Bond banter scene' and 'Insert M scene here'. Perhaps it would be an idea to not have Moneypenny featured at all, or the armourer, or a different character. In this way the novel would be quite different from other works of fan fiction out there, and it would ensure that the novel is not too formulaic.

That point sort of leads to this one: perhaps the team should decide on what *sort* of novel this should be. Give the novel a clear direction: is it to be a down-to-earth, gritty espionage story, or a light-hearted fun romp? Both could be excellent. Or it could be a crisp man-hunt novel, or something different altogether like a Bond mercenary novel. If the basic concept, the very raison d'être of the novel, is agreed by all the novel might be tighter and even more gripping.

Another point of preference again, however I would argue that it is story and character that is paramount. I know many thrillers of the modern day are cold and matter-of-fact with big bangs and shiny things as the primary attraction, however I think this Bond novel should have a heart. Obviously action scenes will come up, and tense and enthralling action scenes can make for riveting reading. I would suggest using them sparingly though; like an expensive aftershave they chafe if used too often.

I am being terribly forward here, giving suggestions when I'm not even involved in the writing of the project! If any of the above helps use it; ignore it all if unhelpful. There are many talented writers on this team; as I say good luck and I look forward to reading the finished product in due time. :)
    Every bit is excellent advice, L880. I personally would like to see us firm up direction before jumping in, but then again, the spontaneous nature of a collaborative fiction is part of the fun.
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    Yeah we could polish the main direction of the novel up a bit more. This may sound awkward, but have we finalized the plot of the novel? Granted we still have some time for that as we're only in the PTS, which only leads to a series of other questions:

Will the PTS:

have any significance on the main plot?

involve Bond at all?

be a Hollywood action sequence, with lots of explosions, death-defying moments, and bullets?

even exist?

For my thoughts on the PTS (if we're even going to have one), involved Bond being on a Royal Navy Carrier (or some other ship) (in military uniform, badges and all) for some sort of military occasion. Somehow all hell breaks loose (I haven't formed out any specifics yet) and Bond is the leading man in saving the day. Following that he gets to "practice his salute" with a lovely Lieutenant Colonel (on the ship perhaps?). End PTS.
  • TOOTSTOOTS Posts: 114MI6 Agent
    edited June 2007
    Ok Here are the list of "writers" that will be contributing to Novel 6 and the suggested running order that they should write in:

Scaramanga1
    delicious
    Golrush007
    The Sly Fox
    Willie Garvin
    DAWUSS
    darenhat

Out of interest and curiosity, who of the above have read all the following:

1) The Fleming novels and short stories
    2) The Gardner novels
    3) The Benson novels and short stories
    4) The Kingsly Amis book
    5) The John Pearson 007 biography; and
    6) The Higson Young Bond books?

Fair thee all well. Good luck!
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited June 2007
    TOOTS wrote:

Scaramanga1
    delicious
    Golrush007
    The Sly Fox
    Willie Garvin
    DAWUSS
    darenhat

Out of interest and curiousity, who of the above have read all the following:

1) The Fleming novels and short stories
    2) The Gardner novels
    3) The Benson novels and short stories
    4) The Kingsley Amis book
    5) The John Pearson 007 biography; and
    6) The Higson Young Bond books?

Hmmm...since you asked,

I've read all of the books on this list, with the exception of the Young Bond novels,which I've only recently started reading.I was surprised at much I enjoyed Silverfin.In broad outline it reminded me of Fleming's Moonraker novel.Of all that story's colorful characters,I think Higson really shone with Uncle Max.

I've also read both of Christopher Wood's novelizations of his "The Spy Who Loved Me" and "Moonraker" screenplays-
    James Bond:The Spy Who Loved Me,James Bond and Moonraker-each of which is written in a style that duplicates Ian Fleming's own narrative voice to an eerie degree.As a Fleming "impressionist", I think that he's the equal of Kingsley Amis.
    Additionally,Wood writes the literary Bond in these books--as opposed to Roger Moore's famous interpretation--and even plays down(as much as possible) many of the more outrageous elements of the films these books are based upon.I recommend both of these novels highly.;)
  • deliciousdelicious SydneyPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    I've just posted my first instalment of the novel. Here are some points for continuity:

1. I have called the Identity Stealing Villain "Mr X" based on my villain portrait but this can be substituted with something else later on.

2. I didnt put in an Explainer re how the girl avoided the tranquiliser dart but there are lots of ways of doing that and it might not even need one because of that.

3. Scaramanga1 mentioned an old woman in his entry, who was receiving stolen information from Carter, so I turned her into a Finnish Hag who runs a pub called the Mortar and Pestle. Baba Yaga the witch from Russian folklore had iron teeth and drove about in a mortar which she propelled by banging it with a pestle. I envisioned the Finnish Hag having braces or metal dentures but thats up to the writer who develops her.
    I have now posted my first contribution to novel 6. I haven't fully described Baba Yaga yet, so the next writer may want to create little more (perhaps include the metal dentures or braces which delicious suggested). As I envisioned it, Baba Yaga got word of the skating incident, and sees Bond as a suspect, and as I see it, some form of interrogation would come next. Also, Bond's inebriated appearance is only intended as a cover - he is actually quite alert.
    Useful stuff about Baba Yaga:

1. She cooks her victims in a huge oven pushing them in with a big spatula

2. She often has pets - a dog and a cat.

3. There could always be more to the Baba Yaga in the novel than just being a receiver of stolen information - Zuchovsky was more than just a Russian agent and became Bond's ally eventually. I would like to see her outwit Bond several times before either being killed or escaping to the sequel.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A823402, I found the following:

The people of north Russia had stone statues called yagas or Golden Babas, which represented a local goddess who would be asked for advice and who was believed to be empowered with deciding about the fate of people...[Baba Yaga] represents life, death and rebirth, and has similarities to Kali and Hecate. She is a wise woman. The word 'witch' originally meant 'wise'.
    Metal teeth? Well we could try that. The last Bond character with metal teeth was quite popular...

I'd actually enjoy seeing a character survive Bond through the course of a couple of missions again (as I suggested in a way earlier post)

I know - I'm probably not being too much help for the plot at this point; I'm slowly generating ideas for when the flashback ends and we head back to Bond in the plane
    I wasnt thinking of doing a repeat of Jaws. her iron teeth/dentures would be more of a reference back to him. A joke virtually - imagine Bond's reaction when she first smiles. I cant imagine Baba Yaga actually biting people to death.
    Hopefully Sly Fox will be able to make his contribution soon. In the meantime, we can still kick around some ideas. As long as this PTS is centering in Finland, I thought it might be fitting if Bond treats one of his enemies to an early 'Viking's Funeral' on a nearby lake.

Also, I like the name delicious came up with for the villian - "Obsidian". Honestly, I prefer that to 'X' since it can be much more descriptive of the villian.
    Mister X is just an alias due to the man's extreme elusiveness.

The other stuff that could come up re Finland is its history with both the Nazis and the Soviets which was quite checkered. Baba Yaga would be old enough to remember both the Winter War and the Cold War. Google has lots of sites that give a good summary of what happened. For instance:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0107513.html

and

http://www.kolumbus.fi/rastas/nyky/reasons_ww2.html
    IMO Obsidian would be a bit more fitting than "Mr. X". Mr. X sounds (IMO) kinda bland and borderline cliche for someone mysterious
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Sly Fox's contribution will be in shortly - I have to say I am glad that people are adding links to pages that help with research -it is important that we look at such links.

so far so good chaps! :)
    Additional elements to add to my first chunk:

- The autumn temperatures in Urjala were similar to those of an English winter - around ten degrees during the day dropping to around zero at night. Bond was suitably attired for the freezing conditions.

- That night the weather was unusual, as though setting the stage for what was about to happen. There was a break in the monotonous overcast and the Aurora Borealis was clearly visible in the clear night sky. While an unremarkable sight to those living in Lapland, for the majority of the populace living in southern Finland this was a rare spectacle. Bond found that he did not need his night goggles. While this meant that his prey would be easier to see, so would he. Well never mind - he would just have to make the best of it.
  • The Sly FoxThe Sly Fox USAPosts: 467MI6 Agent
    Speaking of research, one good thing to check out is the Wikipedia page on Baba Yaga. Perhaps we could incorporate some elements from the folklore into the story? Maybe the Bond girl could be called Vasilissa (the damsel in distress from "Vasilissa the Beautiful"). You'll find all the info there on Wikipedia. :)

By the way, you'll find me writing my contribution right now. :D
    Lots of good information there, Sly, including an idea to consider as a title when we get that far..."Deathless"
    Titles relating to the theme of "Identity Theft":

You Know My Name
    What's in a Name
    The Man With No Name
    The man Who Wasn't There

Other possible words the title could be built around:

Mask
    Chameleon
    Disguise

But I think the narrative itself may generate a title eventually so let's wait and see.
    Writing process tip: "Advance or Expand"

I learned this from Theatresports but it is applicable to all story telling:

When you read the contributions made by yourself and others ask yourself as you read, do you want the narrative to move forward more quickly or to stop and expand on the current topic. Eg does the narrative need to open up more in the current scene (more detail, depth) or move the story forward to the next scene more quickly.

Some writers move the story along too fast and dont give the reader time to stop and look around, check out the details and build rapport with the characters. Other writers plod along and make the reader long for the pace to pick up. I tend to be someone who moves the story along too fast and need to go back and expand my narrative. And of course it is possible to do both.

We can benefit greatly from each other's feedback as to whether the pace is too slow or fast. However at the moment I think we are only sketching a storyline and can always go back and Expand or Advance where necessary during the editing process. So more is better at the moment.

F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote one million words when he wrote The Great Gatsby. The finished text was only 100,000 words so he cut 90% of the original draft. The first draft is like a brainstorming process so all ideas are good. We can always cut back later. Just keep the main them is mind to navigate by so the story doesnt become shapeless.

I love all the contributions so far and am eager for more.
    edited June 2007
    Some research shows that the southern region of Tampere has a history of glass production, including the Nuutajarvi glass works in Urjala. Could this have some connection to the 'glass in my brain' that Bond speaks of in SC1's opening paragraphs? Suppose some fiendish enemy tries to dispel Bond by stuffing his head in molten glass? Just a thought.
    darenhat wrote:
    Some research shows that the southern region of Tampere has a history of glass production, including the Nuutajarvi glass works in Urjala. Could this have some connection to the 'glass in my brain' that Bond speaks of in SC1's opening paragraphs? Suppose some fiendish enemy tries to dispel Bond by stuffing his head in molten glass? Just a thought.

I think that there is torture scene potential there!
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited June 2007
    Golrush007 wrote:
    darenhat wrote:

I think that there is torture scene potential there!

I agree.Perhaps Darenhat will write that for us.

Anyway,my entry's in.I'm the first to acknowledge that it's not very good, but I definitely intend to revise it.If I've inadvertantly put something in there that seems out of place,let me know-I'll happily alter what's been written.

I've suggested that Baba Yaga might be younger than she appears in order to offer the possibility of her being perhaps a master of disguise and therefore(if this sounds worthwhile)an important associate of Mr.X.Obviously,if 007 doesn't really know what she looks like,Baba(or whatever other name she might have)will thus be able to conceivably present a greater-even an initimate-threat to 007 and indeed the rest of X's victims.

Or then again,maybe not--maybe Baba's just in great shape for her age.That's also possible too.She's a witch,after all:)

Maybe Baba's driving towards Tampere and that glassworks...
    I would like to have seen Bond go into the encounter with Baba Yaga with some background on her and possibly a lever to get her cooperation.
    I'll have my entry in a day or two. I'll give darenhat his torture scene, though I'm still in the process of figuring out how I'll set it up.
    'my torture scene'? ...you make me sound like a sadist! :))

Anyway,my entry's in.I'm the first to acknowledge that it's not very good, but I definitely intend to revise it.If I've inadvertantly put something in there that seems out of place,let me know-I'll happily alter what's been written.

I've suggested that Baba Yaga might be younger than she appears in order to offer the possibility of her being perhaps a master of disguise and therefore(if this sounds worthwhile)an important associate of Mr.X.Obviously,if 007 doesn't really know what she looks like,Baba(or whatever other name she might have)will thus be able to conceivably present a greater-even an initimate-threat to 007 and indeed the rest of X's victims.

You're selling yourself short, WG. Your entry is excellent and has put Bond on the trail behind Baba -- the next link in the chain stretching from Carter to the mysterious Mr X. I like the fact that you left Baba's identity a bit elusive as I was thinking what she would have been like if she hadn't necessarily matched the stereotypical mythological description.

Does anyone have any ideas how Baba Yaga (in our story) got her name? Did the locals give her that name because of supposed acts of magic she had done? Or is it a cover she adopted to keep people in fear and awe of her?
    As the Baba Yaga of mythology eats children the Bond character could be someone who trafficks in child slavery/prostitution. She is Russian rather than Finnish so she may have links to the Russian black market and organised crime. See this link for information:

http://gvnet.com/humantrafficking/Russia.htm