Last Event Attended

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,569Chief of Staff
    edited November 2007
    The Blues Band at The Lowry.

It had been about 20 years since I last saw them, which kinda scares me a little :)) They are still a great band, and for the first time I really appreciated 1920s and '30s blues, a storming night and it certainly won't be another 20 years before I see them again ! And you got to sit down down too - my aching, ageing bones thank you :D

Great blues version of the Beatles You Can't Do That as well.
    YNWA 97
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Macbeth with Patrick Stewart at the
    Gielgud Theatre.

Absolutely brilliant. The whole production was terrific and Stewart was tremendous.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    A 'Director's Cut' interview with Raul Ruiz, the Chilean filmmaker who made Time Regained at Aberdeen University. Fascinating stuff.
    The Human League at the Manchester Apollo.

More for my wife than me, but they can turn out the odd classic tune.
    YNWA 97
    The Bootleg Beatles at the Manchester Apollo.

If you're a Beatles fan and these appear near you, then buy a ticket and go see them !
    YNWA 97
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    Flogging Molly at the Fillmore Auditorium, Denver Colorado

EPIC!

I moshed like crazy last night while maintaining my hold on a friend's little sister...her father would have killed me if anything happened to his youngest...pushed up to about 7 feet away from the band though...^^ AMAZING ^^

After, the lead guitarist, Dennis Casey, was down on the floor talking to people. I asked his for a picture, but he had just been called away by one of the backstage people...he promised that next year he'd find me and we'd take a pic, however. "Next year! I swear to God, kid! I'll find you! or you find me! *grabs my hand and shakes it*" :D I was miles off the floor with happiness...see, Dennis is my fav...

Ah...what a night!

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
    Aberdeen 4 Copenhagen 0 in the UEFA Cup.

One of the best football matches I've ever been to. I couldn't believe the scoreline. I thought we'd be lucky to scrape a 1-0 win, but to score four goals against the Danish Champions was unbelievable.
    Dad's Army at The Lowry.

A fabulous evening - all the actors involved did their best to invoke the spirit of the characters, and a really good job they did too.
    YNWA 97
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Natalie Merchant at the Hiro Ballroom in NYC. I regard her voice as a true gift from above, so was really pleased to hear she was coming back my way. Seeing even moderately recognizable names in a small club atmosphere is rare these days, so the venue (about 500 people) was a real treat -- felt like watching a jazz band at the Blue Note or something like that.

Her voice still soars, and while there were a number of new tunes that are not well-distributed (she has no label currently) and unfamiliar to me, they were all really good. She also brought plenty of material from her big-selling late-90's period. She remains an old-fashioned minstrel in many ways -- no make-up or glamour here -- which adds to the authenticity. Occasionally, she toned it down so much that I was regretting my three Jack Daniels and Cokes and wishing she would crank it up, but at the end of the day it was great to see someone I enjoy so much from only 30 feet away.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    The Halle Orchestra at The Bridgewater Hall in Manchester as they performed their Bond Evening conducted by Carl Davis - great stuff !
    YNWA 97
    Editors at the Manchester Apollo - another cracking gig, Tom Smith's voice just gets better and better -{
    YNWA 97
    Dropkick Murphy's at the Fillmore in Denver.

oh wow. it was crazy, even for punk concert standards. The crowd as a little too violent for their own good, and I nearly lost my shoe. While I was trying to put it back on, I went and stepped in a puddle of beer, sweat and goodness knows what else. woooo! The music itself was really fun. great beat, fun to dance too :D

~Pen -{

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Pendragon wrote:

oh wow. it was crazy, even for punk concert standards and I nearly lost my shoe. While I was trying to put it back on, I went and stepped in a puddle of beer, sweat and goodness knows what else.

~Pen -{

Not really Cinderella, is it? :p
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    no, not really. :D My shoe was retrieved by a cute guy though...;) (he POUNCED on it while his friend, also attractive, helped me up...)

I took a sharpie to the side of the nearly lost shoe, so now it says "Almost lost in the Dropkick Murphy's pit 2008" so I'll never forget ^^

~Pen -{

The Feeling at the Manchester Academy.
    YNWA 97
    New Jersey Nets vs. Utah Jazz last Saturday. My daughter was dancing in a pre-game show, so we all trekked to the Meadowlands for a game featuring two teams we couldn't care less about. Have to say, aside from the hoot of seeing my kid dancing down on the court, the game was far more fun than I had expected. I'm not much of an NBA fan (haven't been to a game in 15+ years) but the games go much more quickly when you're there live as opposed to watching on TV. Also, it happened to be about as thrilling a regular season game as you'll get in pro hoops -- 117-115 Nets, on a basket with 1.5 seconds left.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    edited August 2009
    On Saturday, March 15th, I attended the Hollywood Collectors and Celebrities Show, presented by Ray and Sharon Courts. The show took place at the Marriott hotel located at 8535 West Higgins Road in Chicago.

At the show, I met with:

Larry Thomas

the_soup_nazi017.jpg

Larry Thomas is best known for portraying the infamous "Soup Nazi" (pictured above) on the American sitcom Seinfeld. He was a really nice man in person. We had quite a bit of a chat. He shared with me his experiences playing wanted man Osama Bin Laden in the 2007 comedy Postal as well as his secret to perfecting a Middle-Eastern accent (providing some of his own dialogue as a sample). I didn't purchase his autograph as I had already obtained his via his website, but he did agree to pose for a photograph with yours truly. Unfortunately my digital camera was acting up that day, so I had to buy a disposable from the gift shop. I will post the photographs once I get them developed so stay posted.

Katey Sagal

MarriedWithChildren-PoppysBytheT-5.jpg

Katey Sagal is best known for her role as the lazy, unhappy, sex-crazed housewife "Peggy Bundy" (pictured above) on the American sitcom Married With Children. Ms. Sagal had some of the longest lines of fans of any celebrity at the show. I met with her right after she had returned from lunch. Due to a long line forming behind me, I only got to speak to her briefly and was not allowed to take my picture with her. However, she did sign and personalize an 8x10 color photograph for me, in exchange for $25. :v All in all, Ms. Sagal seemed very nice and down-to-Earth.

David Faustino

320_dfaustino_070206_rmora_1541054.jpg

David Faustino is also best known for his role in Married With Children. Faustino plays "Bud Bundy," the smart, weak, and hormonal teenage son of Katey Sagal's character. When I met Mr. Faustino, there was no one else waiting behind me. This allowed me to speak with him for a good few minutes. He told me about his latest television project, currently seeking a network. Mr. Faustino was a really nice guy as well and quite a jokester. When asked about his personal life, he told me that he was "happily divorced." He signed and personalized a photograph for me (also $25) as well as posed for a snapshot. Normally he charges for pictures, but after discovering that I'm a poor college student, he offered to do it for free! What a nice guy!

:x Caroline Munro :x

carolinemunro.jpg

The last celebrity I met was none other than Caroline Munro, known forever to Bond fans for her role as "Naomi" in The Spy Who Loved Me. Ms. Munro is the first actor/actress from a Bond film that I have encountered. Of everyone that I met at the show, I was most impressed with Ms. Munro. She was incredibly sweet and genuine. She told me about her experiences filming in Sardinia and had nothing but good things to say about Roger Moore. But I wasn't the only one asking the questions. She asked me my opinion of Daniel Craig ( :v ) and she herself admitted that she thinks he's "different." I didn't purchase her autograph as I had already obtained hers via Bondstars (Do I get any $ for this plug? ;) ), but she was more than happy to pose for a photograph with me. Such a lovely lady, inside and out. She still looks amazing at 58.

All in all, I had a great time! I'll post those pictures as soon as I can.

There will be another show coming to Chicago in September. Who knows who'll be coming to my backyard then?
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited March 2008
    My congratulations, Mr. Hee---especially on your meeting with the exquisite Ms. Munro. Surely, that is what 58 ought to look like :x :D

Rarely, in life or in baseball, does one get the rare opportunity at a hanging curve ball such as the one she tossed you with her question about (Formerly) Poor Danny :v ...hardly surprising, upon reflection, that she'd say he's 'different' than her Bond; an understatement, to say the least :007)

Looking forward to your pics... -{
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Tee Hee wrote:

Katey Sagal

MarriedWithChildren-PoppysBytheT-5.jpg

The first time I saw Katey on a tv interview she wasn't in charector. I was shocked to see she didn't have red hair. That wig she wore sure did look real. Congrats TH on meeting some really cool tv personalitys.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Tee Hee wrote:
    :x Caroline Munro :x

The last celebrity I met was none other than Caroline Munro, known forever to Bond fans for her role as "Naomi" inThe Spy Who Loved Me. Ms. Munro is the first actor/actress from a Bond film that I have encountered. Of everyone that I met at the show, I was most impressed with Ms. Munro. She was incredibly sweet and genuine. She told me about her experiences filming in Sardinia and had nothing but good things to say about Roger Moore. But I wasn't the only one asking the questions. She asked me my opinion of Daniel Craig ( :v ) and she herself admitted that she thinks he's "different." I didn't purchase her autograph as I had already obtained hers via Bondstars (Do I get any $ for this plug? ;) ), but she was more than happy to pose for a photograph with me. Such a lovely lady, inside and out. She still looks amazing at 58.

Mods, you can close this thread now, because Tee Hee has maxed out its potential.

Awesome, Tee Hee! {[]
    Hilly...you old devil!
    Can't beleive it's almost a month since I headed to Munich to watch Aberdeen get hammered by Bayern Munchen 5-1 in the UEFA cup. Despite the result it was one of the finest experiences as a football fan, and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
  • SurrieSurrie Surrey, UKPosts: 79MI6 Agent
    I went up to Bournemouth a few weeks ago and saw Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, Motorhead and Alice Cooper. The loudest Concert ever, well Motorhead had to keep their title after all!
    What counts is what the heroine provokes, or rather what she represents. She is the one, or rather the love or fear she inspires in the hero , or else the concern he feels for her, who makes him act the way he does.

Author of 'Pussy Galore - A Representation of Women in James Bond Films'.
    Active tweeter and tumbler - https://twitter.com/surrie_fullard
    Tee Hee wrote:
    On Saturday, March 15th, I attended the Hollywood Collectors and Celebrities Show, presented by Ray and Sharon Courts.:x Caroline Munro :x

The last celebrity I met was none other than Caroline Munro. Such a lovely lady, inside and out.

What are you not telling us, Tee Hee? :D

(Be glad I did nothing with "Who knows who'll be coming to my backyard then?")

On Sunday I went to White Hart Lane to see Spurs get thrashed by Newcastle 4-1. I got free tickets with my sister as her boss is on the board of Spurs. Spurs played scrappily cos they know they won't get relegated and they won't get into Europe either, so it's like term time is over. The Magpies had a point to prove under the still-new and beleagoured manager Kevin Keegan, and Owen scored one of the goals. They mostly just tapped them in, Spurs did the only spectactular goal, though we were at the right end for all of them.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Spurs played scrappily cos they know they won't get relegated and they won't get into Europe either....

Spurs have already qualified for Europe next season by winning the Carling Cup.
    YNWA 97
    Oh, okay, yeah. Get mixed up with that and the FA Cup. :#

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Saw Dara O'Briain last night at The Lowry - an absolute comedy giant, fantastic when he's riffing off the audience.
    YNWA 97
    Director's Cut

An interview with Nic Roeg, the director of Don't Look Now, Bad Timing, The Man Who Fell to Earth and Eureka amongst others.
    Goldfrapp at The Bridgewater Hall.

I didn't think Goldfrapp could get any better - boy was I wrong !! An absolutely fantastic concert and Alison's voice just gets better. They really MUST do a Bond theme tune at some stage.

As a side note, we saw Phil Oakey there - Human League lead singer for all of you under 30's out there ;) , and my wife has had a crush on him for over 20 years :)) We went over and had a chat with him for a couple of minutes - lovely chap :D
    YNWA 97
    The Sir Hilly Summer '08 Concert Attendance TourTM (five concerts in 4 weeks) kicked off last night at the Central Park (NYC) Summer Stage with Mark Knopfler. I am a huge fan of both Dire Straits and all of his solo work, and he is probably my all-time favorite guitar player, so this was a huge treat for me.

He played a great mix of old and new -- some obvious ("Sultans of Swing", "So Far Away"), some not obvious at all ("Marbletown", "Song for Sonny Liston") and some great surprises ("Telegraph Road", "Speedway at Nazareth"). As a guitarist, he retains a uniquely identifiable sound, and hasn't lost any of his chops. As a vocalist, he is admittedly an acquired taste (I have bought in!) but I thought he sounded true to form.

He was backed by six crack musicians, including a young guy from Scotland who played the violin, flute, acoustic guitar, and bouzouki. The arrangements were by and large true to the recordings they came from, but also included some extended jams.

All in all, a great night, which ended literally minutes before the skies opened up in what became a tremendously violent thunderstorm.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    edited July 2008
    The Sir Hilly Summer '08 Concert Attendance TourTM (five concerts in 4 weeks) kicked off last night at the Central Park (NYC) Summer Stage with Mark Knopfler. I am a huge fan of both Dire Straits and all of his solo work, and he is probably my all-time favorite guitar player, so this was a huge treat for me.

He played a great mix of old and new -"Telegraph Road"...

A great, great track - my fav. Dire Straits infact.

I've only seen Mark play live briefly when he came on to play a few songs with Eric Clapton.
    YNWA 97