Last Event Attended

Comments

• John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Aberdeen 4-Celtic 2

{[] Great win. Hopefully they'll play like that against They Who Must Not Be Named next Saturday.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    edited February 2009
    Took my two oldest daughters to see The Killers last Sunday at Madison Square Garden in NYC. The band is pretty polarizing in the US, and they've taken a lot of stick here for the increasingly synth-pop nature of their music. I have to say, when I first listened to their latest release Day & Age I was a little underwhelmed.

But live, they are unquestionably excellent. In terms of showmanship, I would never put anyone on the same level as Freddie Mercury (for one thing, I would get 1000 flames a day from Dan Same!) but Brandon Flowers has a lot of Mercury in him. Soaring high-register voice, dramatic stage presence, quasi-fey outfits -- he's really quite a frontman. For 90 minutes, they truly rocked the house. My daughters loved it, and so did I. They're heading off to Europe soon, with dates in (among other places) Belfast, Sheffield, Manchester and Newcastle.

And just to prove the power of live music...I now can't stop listening to Day & Age.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • TylerTyler Posts: 184MI6 Agent
    NFL Experience. Tampa, Florida.....Super Bowl Party afterwards. Awesome
    Never fear the event
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    edited February 2009
    Camille ****arro's Lower Norwood Under Snow

Neige%20a%20Lower%20Norwood%20by%20Pisarro.jpg

Or rather the original location, two stops on the train from me! :) I found out it is Fox Hill, a five minute walk from Crystal Palace station. With snow all over London still, I thought I catch it as ****arro did; lots of parked cars however.

The painting itself is in London's National Gallery.

Edit: Honestly! To edit out Pisarro because he has two s's! How ******dly!
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    :o WHAT'S that name again?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    went to an Industrial Metal show in Denver with some friends last weekend. Not my fave kind of music, but hey. Concerts are always good :D

~Pendragon -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
    Hardyboy wrote:
    :o WHAT'S that name again?

Rhymes with Kissaro. Starts with a P.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,579Chief of Staff
    Last Friday I went to watch Franz Ferdinand at the Manchester Academy.

I'm glad to report that the boys are back in top form - a storming gig, and always better when the crowd are 'up for it'. They played most of the tracks off their new album, all the new songs have a 'harder edge' when played live, and a good smattering from past albums. A really great gig -{
    YNWA 97
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Aberdeen 0 Dunfermline 0 (1-3 on pens) X-(

Once again we tumble out of a cup competition to lower league opposition. Time for the manager to take a trip to a land called f*&^ off. Useless ****.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    Aberdeen 0 Dunfermline 0 (1-3 on pens) X-(

Once again we tumble out of a cup competition to lower league opposition. Time for the manager to take a trip to a land called f*&^ off. Useless ****.
    JD, what do you really think? :))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    There are times when it really sucks, but last night was one of those times when it's great to live in New York. My wife and I took in "God and Carnage" on Broadway. The play is by Yasmina Reza (most famous for penning "Art" a few years back) and stars Jeff Daniels, Hope Davis, James Gandolfini and Marcia Gay Harden. It's 90 minutes (no intermission) of scenery chewing by four fabulous actors. Things start slowly, as two couples meet to politely discuss a recent playground altercation between their 11-year-old sons. Forced niceties gradually give way to each person's inner rage, which provides lots of both comedy and sadness. Great stuff.

We walked into the theater alongside Morley Safer from "60 Minutes" who seemed a jovial sort judging from the conversation he was having with his companions. Only in New York.

Although, to be fair, the play has been running in Europe (Reza is French) for a few years now -- including the West End last year with Ralph Fiennes as the character Daniels is now playing.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Chicago

At the Cambridge Theatre in London. Wow, what a show. Amazing. And I still have the song 'All That Jazz' in my head.

The girls and boys were superb, and the show was sexy, sassy and funny. Ian Kelsey (from Casualty) - who played Billy Flynn was in fact, very good, and his voice was surprisingly strong - although the American accent was slightly dodgy :D

Highly recommend it to anyone thinking of seeing a 'West End' performance.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Lexi wrote:
    Chicago

We're not a 'showtune' household, per se, but my sons are both big fans of the film, with Catherine Zeta Jones, etc., and the soundtrack gets heavy rotation. Glad to see it's still doing business in its most proper venue: on stage :)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    I saw the 1990s at Monto Water Rats, a small venue in the back of a Kings Cross pub. Right up front and the Glasgow trio were fun and personable. Not totally sure about their new album Kicks - the production by Bernard Butler of Suade seems a bit lightweight, not punky enough, but throughly recommend their debut Cookies.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Last night I went to watch Derren Brown in his latest show at the Lowry in Manchester.
    The first half is half a dozen or so tricks - all beautifully played out and tremendous fun. The second half is really only two pieces - but each crafted with wit and style. The first piece is a spirit box...I've seen this before but Derren still managed to amaze...the second piece is a combination of trickery, mind control and pop music ! Tremendous.

The show is called Enigma - and he really is. Brilliant -{
    YNWA 97
    I was at the Manchester Academy last night to watch White Lies. A superb band that are most definately on the way up.

They had two support bands on...

Wintersleep were up first...they were fine...nothing special...but the drummer did work very hard :))

The second act was School Of Seven Bells...a trio...one guy and two lovely ladies :D...probably sisters :D :D
    Couldn't understand a word they sang mind...but that certainly didn't spoil my enjoyment at all :))

White Lies came onstage at 9:30 and played their entire debut album To Lose My Life....they are a really solid band with great tunes and thoughtful lyrics...which does suprise as the lead singer looks all of 12 years old 1 When they came out for the encore it was all I could do not to tell him it was way past his bedtime :)) Great band though.
    YNWA 97
    Last night I got to see my first burlesque show.

No No no no no no no! It's not what you think, and you can stop sniggering too Dan Same.

I was about to see a stand-up show with Norwegian comic Daniel Simonsen. However, the show at the Leicester Square theatre got pulled, due to not enough people, so the manager allowed us to go into watch some burleque show featuring the Hurly Girlie girls or something.

Loads of young women in the audience, about fifty fifty ratio. The girls did some PanAm style strip tease, butt to be honest (pun intended) the posturing poses and affected coyness did grate a bit, it wasn't quite to my taste. Just dance numbers in fancy states of undress, however some interesting bizarre acts in between, a gal with a ukelele was good value.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Last night I got to see my first burlesque show.

No No no no no no no! It's not what you think, and you can stop sniggering too Dan Same.

I was about to see a stand-up show with Norwegian comic Daniel Simonsen. However, the show at the Leicester Square theatre got pulled, due to not enough people, so the manager allowed us to go into watch some burleque show featuring the Hurly Girlie girls or something.

Loads of young women in the audience, about fifty fifty ratio. The girls did some PanAm style strip tease, butt to be honest (pun intended) the posturing poses and affected coyness did grate a bit, it wasn't quite to my taste. Just dance numbers in fancy states of undress, however some interesting bizarre acts in between, a gal with a ukelele was good value.
    :)) Sorry, NP, I refuse to believe that this was your first burlesque show. :v
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    This was the first burlesque I went to see. The others I appeared in. :D

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    :)) That doesn't surprise me at all. :D
    Man U v Barcs. er, at The Plough in Holborn.

Sadly Man U didn't show up. :# Distraction provided by a man bloke sat on a bar stool gurning and making triumphant noises, like he was in On The Buses.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Man U v Barcs. er, at The Plough in Holborn.

Sadly Man U didn't show up. :#

Sadly ? Really ?

Made my week -{
    YNWA 97
    I have to admitt I was also delighted when I heard that Man U had lost. I like Barcalona, although they are not my favourite team, but moreso because I am certainly no fan of Man U.
    Last night I went to watch Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds at the MEN Arena.

I've wanted to see this for a long time and it certainly doesn't disappoint ! It's a fantastic show, a nice video-show showing you the story, great singers, but my favourite is to watch the orchestra - and hear the great Richard Burton, he probably got the biggest cheer at the end too !!

A fabulous production -{
    YNWA 97
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    This isn't such an 'event attended' but well for me, an event non the less.

My maternal grandmother died in 1984, I was extremly close to her, and I always feel she is 'with me' somehow - she was cremated, and scattered at a beach (Godrevy) in Cornwall (where she lived, with my family) and this weekend, I travelled the 300 miles to visit a friend, but more importantly, to visit my granny.

w-godrevy-beach-350x150.jpg

The beach is breathtaking, and I can't think of a better place for her to look over. And although it took almost 7 hours to drive home, the trip was well worth it. I just musn't make it another 5 years before I visit again.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Springfield Sliders - 10, Du Quoin County Bombers - 1 B-)

Minor league baseball game, at Robin Roberts Stadium in Springfield Illinois. Former St. Louis Cardinals slugger Jack Clark is the manager of the Sliders, and they're having a good season so far...

Today was my birthday...and my wife surprised me by having my name---and the fact that I'm now 47---blasted out over the PA system, and my name was put on the scoreboard. 'Mark Loeffelholz' is lot of lights, at that size... ;%

A great night.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent

Minor league baseball game, at Robin Roberts Stadium in Springfield Illinois. Former St. Louis Cardinals slugger Jack Clark is the manager of the Sliders, and they're having a good season so far...

Is that the same Jack Clark that was a San Francisco Giant to? ;)
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Mr Martini wrote:

Are you thinking of Will Clark?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Mr Martini wrote:

He probably was---ironically, Will Clark ended his career as a Cardinal, as well!
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Mr Martini wrote:

He probably was---ironically, Will Clark ended his career as a Cardinal, as well!

Nope. Jack Clark was a SF Giant from 1975-1984. We was a Cardinal from1985-1987 a Yankee in 1988. A San Diego Padre 1989-1990 and a Boston Red Soxs 1991-1992.

zzclark.jpg

Jack%20Claerk.jpg
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope