Last Event Attended

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited July 2008
    Just returned from a family reunion, which took place in St. Louis, Missouri---home of the new Belgian beer company, Anheuser-Busch ( :# ), and my beloved St. Louis Cardinals baseball team. My brother's family, (currently living in L.A.) and my sister's family (from Florida) converged on St. Louis with my wife and kids---and my parents---for a few nights of fun.

Unfortunately, the Cardinals---in the midst of their biggest losing streak of the season! :'( ---lost both games I attended...but my parents had never seen a professional baseball game before, so it was a rare and wonderful event despite our team's disappointing performance.

Best of all, last night, was a free concert put on in downtown St. Louis last night---in a 'street festival' setting---by the fabulous rock band The Black Crowes* B-) , who rocked through a nearly two-hour set of hits, rarities and extended blues jams. I'd estimate that at least 30,000 people were in attendance, and a good time was had by all :)

* For anyone not familiar with the Crowes, they're a very blues-oriented outfit, and I recommend their entire music catalogue with great enthusiasm. Their most recent release, Warpaint, might be their most 'rootsy' blues effort to date...another great two disc set is Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes - Live At The Greek, wherein the Led Zeppelin guitarist leads the band through an all-Zep set. My brother and I caught this show in Chicago a few years back, and it absolutely kicked ass. The only Crowes song they did was "Talks To Angels," and Page's solo was one to remember.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    .another great two disc set is Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes - Live At The Greek, wherein the Led Zeppelin guitarist leads the band through an all-Zep set. My brother and I caught this show in Chicago a few years back, and it absolutely kicked ass. The only Crowes song they did was "Talks To Angels," and Page's solo was one to remember.

Not really familar with The Black Crowes, but the disk live at the Greek caught my eye. Is this the Greek Theater on the Cal Berkley Campus? I'm going to a concert there later this year and it looks to be a awesome place for a concert. (I'll post my review of the concert later this year. Look for it around Sept 10th or after).
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Not really familar with The Black Crowes, but the disk live at the Greek caught my eye. Is this the Greek Theater on the Cal Berkley Campus? I'm going to a concert there later this year and it looks to be a awesome place for a concert. (I'll post my review of the concert later this year. Look for it around Sept 10th or after).

Incredibly, my CD doesn't say exactly where it was recorded (!), but I'd say that's a good possibility...not sure how many 'Greek' venues are out there that could support a show like this. If you like Zeppelin, you'll like this one. They do "In My Time Of Dying," "Sick Again," "Heartbreaker"...18 songs in all. They even do an old Yardbirds tune, "Shape Of Things To Come." B-)

As for the Crowes...if you like blues, and you like rock and roll, you'll probably love these guys. Here are their CD releases:

Shake Your Money Maker (1990)
    The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion (1992)
    Amorica (1994)
    Three Snakes and One Charm (1996)
    By Your Side (1998)
    Jimmy Page and The Black Crowes - Live At The Greek (2000)
    Lions (2001)
    Warpaint (2008)

I've seen them four times now; my brother (Another Loeffelholz), has probably seen them twenty times, including hanging with them backstage a half dozen times (it's a long story!)...anyway, I'd urge you to give them a listen!
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    The Sir Hilly Summer '08 Concert Attendance TourTM rolled on last night, when I took my 14-year old daughter to see a double bill at the Hammerstein Ballroom in Manhattan.

First up was Collective Soul. This band has been cranking out some really catchy numbers since the early 1990s, and while I am no aficionado, I am definitely a fan. They did not disappoint. Frontman Ed Roland, while looking a bit goofy in his 1980s-style bleached long hair, has a lot of charisma, and the band clearly love what they do. They played all their best-known hits, with particularly great versions of "Shine", "December" and "Better Now." I will absolutely see them again some day. I caught a pick thrown by the bassist -- a lucky and insignificant event which nonetheless raised my daughter's esteem for me. :D

Next up was Live. They have never been able to replicate the success of 1994's brilliant Throwing Copper album, but they soldier on and continue to delight hardcore fans, of which there were a lot last night. I don't know much of their catalog except for that album, so the experience wasn't quite as fun as Collective Soul was. However, they too had great stage presence and generated some great sound. We both walked away wanting to learn them better.

All in all, we left energized and wanting more. What more can you ask of a concert?
    Hilly...you old devil!

Next up was Live. They have never been able to replicate the success of 1994's brilliant Throwing Copper album, but they soldier on and continue to delight hardcore fans, of which there were a lot last night. I don't know much of their catalog except for that album, so the experience wasn't quite as fun as Collective Soul was. However, they too had great stage presence and generated some great sound. We both walked away wanting to learn them better.

Now there's a band I haven't listened to in a long time. Some of my favorite songs of theirs are Freaks, Dolphins Cry, Lakinis Juice. Why did I have to give up the Throwing Cooper Album? Maybe it's time to go to the music store and see if i can get their albums. Sounds like you had fun Sir Hillary. Can't wait to read about your other concerts.
    WWE Wrestling - RAW Summerslam Tour, at the Prairie Capital Convention Center in Springfield, Illinois B-)

Took Loeffs Jr and Loeffs III...we had seats in the fourth row, main floor, very close to the action. Got to see Brit Paul Burchill (and his hot-but-villainous sister, Katie Lee) in the first match vs Koffi Kingston, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan vs Snitsky, WWE Divas Beth Phoenix vs Mickie James in a great cat fight, Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiasi Jr vs John Cena, Batista vs Kane...and the main event, Chris Jericho vs CM Punk.

Quite a lot of fun...like going to the circus. Other than a baseball game or a great rock band in concert, this is really one of my favourite things to do.
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    Eddie Izzard at the Paramount Theatre in Denver.

I've never laughed so hard in my life! :))

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
    Pendragon wrote:

~Pen -{

Cheers, Pen! {[] When I was in LA in May, I saw where Izzard was scheduled to play the Kodak Theatre on Hollywood Blvd (where they do the Oscars, right next to the famous Graumann's Chinese Theatre B-) )...I'd love to see him live. I've got a couple of his DVDs...brilliant.
    For its third leg, the Sir Hilly Summer '08 Concert Attendance TourTM went into family mode last Friday, when my wife, three daughters and I saw a double bill at Jones Beach Theater on the south shore of Long Island. Great venue, right on the water, made all the more beautiful by the sunset.

Let's call this concert "The Adam Show"...

First up was Counting Crows, fronted by the dreadlocked Adam Duritz. I would characterize myself as a casual fan of the band, but nothing more. Duritz sings and performs with a great deal of pathos, and his sloppy, unpretentious look makes him appear quite genuine. Definitely no poseur here -- just an artist expressing himself passionately. My lack of familiarity with the band's catalog dampened the fun somewhat, and my youngest (9) spent the entire show on my lap, upset that the music was so loud. Still, a worthwhile show to experience, especially since the kids were really there for the next band...

...Maroon 5. Oh, to be young, handsome, charismatic and talented. Adam Levine certainly fits the bill. Short-haired and relatively tattoo-free (only a couple on his left arm), he looks nothing like a pop/rock star. But he and the band certainly deliver the goods, and with only two studio albums under their belt, they couldn't avoid playing every familiar song they have. We all loved it, including the 9-year-old, who rallied to dance in the aisle to "This Love" and "Makes Me Wonder". A particular treat for me was a cover of Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game" which segued into "She Will Be Loved". Maroon 5 are not for everyone (Levine can come across as really slick) but they write catchy pop songs and are far better live than I was expecting.

Three-for-three so far. Stop number four is tonight, at the same venue. Will report back tomorrow.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    My lack of familiarity with the band's catalog dampened the fun somewhat, and my youngest (9) spent the entire show on my lap, upset that the music was so loud.

Hmm, any chance you could get your kid ear plugs from the chemist? Avoids risk of tinnitus... bad enough risking it anyway but not for music you're not enjoying! There's a campaign about this over in the UK currently.

Not all tinnitus is caused by loud music, mind.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    Pendragon wrote:

~Pen -{

Cheers, Pen! {[] When I was in LA in May, I saw where Izzard was scheduled to play the Kodak Theatre on Hollywood Blvd (where they do the Oscars, right next to the famous Graumann's Chinese Theatre B-) )...I'd love to see him live. I've got a couple of his DVDs...brilliant.

A friend of mine is actually going to the LA show! I'm so happy I managed to get a ticket...another friend got four of them for her birthday, and offered me one! :D He wasn't wearing a dress on our stop, oddly enough :# :))

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Pendragon wrote:

~Pen -{

I saw him when he was in New York. Great time. Very funny, as always.
    Last night, the fourth leg of the Sir Hilly Summer '08 Concert Attendance TourTM started inauspiciously, with yours truly in an absolutely vile temperment following a rotten day at work (I'm sure you are all just oozing sympathy at poor Hilly's plight :))). I was not in the mood to go to this show, and I made my wife suffer for much of the drive back to Jones Beach. What an arse I can be!

Fortunately, the beautiful beach setting and a summer concert did just what they would be expected to do -- the red mist lifted, and I enjoyed a stress-free, fun-filled night. Yet another double bill, this one representing the pinnacle (at least in terms of album sales) of all the shows I have seen this year.

Leading off was Elvis Costello. Anyone making a case that this man is the greatest lyricist in the history of rock music would get no argument from me. I have always thought of him as a poet who happened to set his works to music. It was slightly bittersweet seeing him last night, playing as an opening act to a theater that was one-third full at most. I felt like he deserved better, given his contributions to music over the years. That said, he seemed not the least bothered by the sparse attendance, and he played an energetic, if short, set. In between some of his new stuff (which sounded great even though I don't really know it) he threw in some old classics, including "Watching The Detectives", "Everyday I Write The Book" and "Alison". For the latter, he was joined onstage by a thin gentleman with sandy blond-gray hair and a gray beard, dressed in all white linen, who sang a wonderful duet with Elvis. My only disappointment was "What's So Funny ('Bout Peace, Love and Understanding)" which was marred by an overenthusiastic keyboardist doing a completely inappropriate Keith Emerson imitation -- extraneous, OTT playing at its worst.

Next up, The Police. I last saw them in 1983, when I was a freshman in college. To say that this band played a significant role in my enjoyment of music as a teenager would be to understate the case greatly. There is probably no single musical act that I have greater knowledge of, in terms of knowing the songs cold. My wife is the same way, with the added complication that, to this day, she nurses a serious crush for Sting. For this set, he had changed from his white linen into black jeans, a skin tight black shirt (to show off the effects of all that yoga and tantric sex, I suppose) and black combat boots. We all know what a pretentious weenie Sting can be, but last night he ceded the spotlight to his bandmates. While Andy Summers takes a lot of the spotlight because he's the guitarist, for me the real driver of the band onstage is Stewart Copeland, who must have broken at least 10 sticks because he was pounding his drums so hard. The set included the usual staples like "Roxanne", "Message In A Bottle" and "Every Breath You Take", but the highlights for me were raucous versions of "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" and "Next To You". Two encores, probably 1h 45m in all, no preening by Sting -- top marks all around. Supposedly, their last show ever will be later this week at Madison Square Garden, so I feel quite lucky to have seen this.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    Not sure if this really counts as an "event" but when I was recently in Los Angeles on vacation I went to the Hammer Museum at UCLA to see an exhibit on the architect John Lautner. He was a student under Frank Lloyd Wright and went on to become a designer of aggressively futuristic homes, mostly in Southern California. His connection to Bond is that one of his designs was the home in which Bambi and Thumper tussle with our hero. For those of you who are in the L.A. area and enjoy this sort of thing, it's worth the $10 and couple of hours it will cost you. For more, see below.

http://www.hammer.ucla.edu/exhibitions/139/
    Hilly...you old devil!
    The Sir Hilly Summer '08 Concert Attendance TourTM wrapped up last night with Hilly and wife seeing Chris Isaak at an intimate setting in NYC. For probably about 10 years now, if you forced me to listen to only one musical artist, this would be the one. I absolutely love his music. Roy Orbison meets Elvis meets an old-fashioned crooner -- really, how can you go wrong?

Last night, he reached deep into the catalog and played many songs I had never seen live before. He has become quite the clown prince onstage -- lots of banter and jokes, venturing into the crowd. He wore his usual gaudy blue "Nudie suit" and changed into his shiny chrome suit for the encore. All this is old hat, perhaps a bit cliched, but I didn't care. His longtime band -- all dressed in matching black suits -- were flawless as usual. I could go to a Chris Isaak show every day and never get bored.

So, that concludes the Summer '08 Tour. Not sure I will do it again -- probably spent a decent chunk of the kids' college fund! :))

Thanks for putting up with these self-indulgent posts.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    The past three nights (Sept 5th, 6th & 7th) were my only concerts I'll be attending this year. I attended the Dave Matthews Band concert at the Greek Theater on the University Of California, Berkley campus. I've been reading reviews from the start of the tour, and every review has been outstanding. But, early in the tour, the bands saxophonist was involved in a terrible ATV accident. This didn't stop DMB from going on with the tour. Rumors were the saxophonist was trying to heal up quick for the Berkeley shows, sadly, he passed away about two weeks before my shows. I didn't know what to expect from this band after the founding member passed away. I must say, the band delivered and delivered big. Three nights, and only one song was repeated. Friday, we were treated to a guest spot from Warren Haynes on a song (creatively called) #41. The rest of the set was just as stellar. Saturday night was almost as good as Friday, no guest spots though. That brings us to Sunday. Sunday, September 7th would of been Leroi Moores 47th birthday. It must of been a little hard for the members of DMB to go out on stage. But they came out and played a great variety of tunes. Steffan Lessard (the bassist) played a intro of Somewhere Over The Rainbow (a special song that Dave and Leroi shared (long story)). At the encore break a tribute video was played in Lerois honor (it had been played at his funeral and a couple of other tour stops). In all, this is the band I love. I hope they continue on after this tour, because the three shows i saw were close to perfection. Jeff Coffin (the replacement sax player from Bela Fleck & The Flecktones) should tour with them all the time and do studio stuff with them. Let's hope DMB continues on after this. Thanks for reading!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,579Chief of Staff
    Just got back from watching Kaiser Chiefs at the Manchester Academy - fantastic gig. I'm knackered..I'm too old to bounce around like that for so long :))

First up were another Leeds band - The Hair - a good solid set, here's Half Cut

Then came Late Of The Pier - took themselves far too seriously and weren't up to much...all pseudo-pop...no content...

The Kaiser's previewed about 6 new songs from their forthcoming album - Off With Their Heads, and old classics...Ricky Wilson certainly knows how to work an audience :D

Try - You Want History - my fav. so far - builds into a great anthemic song...especially live - and Like It Too Much - also Half The Truth

Top gig -{
    YNWA 97
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Well, since QoS hasn't opened in America yet, I went to "King Tut and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs," the travelling exhibit of Tutankhamun's artifacts, currently on display in Dallas. According to the elders in my family it isn't as spectacular as the exhibit from the '70s--in part because the famous death mask isn't there--and there were waaaay too many people, but it's hard not to be stunned by the beautiful artistry of the artifacts. Of course, it all ended in a gift shop, the tackiness of which makes Steve Martin's old "King Tut" number all the more appropriate.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Spurs, who are propping up the table, beating Liverpool, who were heading it, 2-1 at White Hart Lane! {[]

Liverpool played better throughout but Spurs equalised and then got ahead in stoppage time. Great stuff, first time I've seen them win at the ground. Of course, all the priviliged bods leave about 10-15 minutes early to get to the car park before all the crowds and therefore always miss the exciting last gasp equaliser or win! :)

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Spurs, who are propping up the table, beating Liverpool, who were heading it, 2-1 at White Hart Lane! {[]

Liverpool played better throughout but Spurs equalised and then got ahead in stoppage time. Great stuff, first time I've seen them win at the ground. Of course, all the priviliged bods leave about 10-15 minutes early to get to the car park before all the crowds and therefore always miss the exciting last gasp equaliser or win! :)

Your sailing very close to a lifetime ban with that post, young man ! X-( ;)

How we didn't stuff you I have no idea..you weren't even the second best team on the park..the ball boys were better than you :))

Anyway..you gotta love Harry's tactical chat to Pavleyachenko before he came on..."tell him to just f**king run around" :)) Class ! Bloomin' worked though :#
    YNWA 97
    Went to watch Goldfrapp at the Manchester Apollo last night...Alison Goldfrapp has one of the best voices I've ever heard...truly stunning...

...once again I was right at the front...to see Alison in her very, very short smock...and when she was backlit :o :x

A fantastic gig...they played songs from all their albums...which are an eclectic mix in their own right...but the ease in which they could switch sounds is remarkable...and in my next life I want to come back as Alison's theremin...that is one LUCKY instrument :007)
    YNWA 97
  • Mewtwo3090Mewtwo3090 Posts: 72MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    In July, I went to visit my brother, Nathan, who just recently turned twenty-five in October, for about a week. It was a nice visit. :D :)
    Saw The Feeling last night at the Manchester Apollo...okay...not really my gig..my wife really likes them..and I don't mind a few of theirs...they do play some really good covers :D

Whatever you say about them...they are a great live band...

They where supported by a Belgian group called Das Pop..they were ok...the lead singer sounded like Mark Owen though !
    YNWA 97
    Back at the Manchester Apollo tonight for a triple '80's whammy !

First up was Heaven 17...decent enough set...but they brought the house down with their classic track - Temptation

Then came ABC...Martin Fry can still knock out a good tune.

Top of the bill were The Human League...a great set list...and should have been on for longer...at least they played one of the greatest pop tunes of all time Love Action -{
    YNWA 97
    Once again it's back to the Manchester Apollo...this time for The Bootleg Beatles...seen these a number of years running now....and they are still great...a fair old mix of songs too...highly recommended ! -{
    YNWA 97
    Went to The Lowry last night to watch Allo Allo...a specially written extended episode. The cast was completely different from the TV series, but they where superb.
    A great show.
    YNWA 97
    Was at the Bridgewater Hall last night...to watch Honor Blackman and the Halle Orchestra perform their 'Bond Night'.

I've seen this concert before, but it is a good night out...only one singer this evening though - Mary Carew...and she did very well....even singing a couple of the theme tunes that were recorded by male artists.
    The evening finished with AWTD - a surprise choice I suppose, but performed quite well.

Honor was fantastic...and still doesn't look her age...and I was sat on the front row...right in front of her !

A good night out if you like Bond music -{
    YNWA 97
    5 posts in a row Sir Miles... :o Can't you stay in and read a book once in a while... oh.

:))

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    5 posts in a row Sir Miles... :o Can't you stay in and read a book once in a while... oh.

:))

It would appear that only I have an outside life :))

And that last book took me months to read X-( Good job I don't get them from the library :))
    YNWA 97
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    Aladin! the pantomime naturally! we were told by the school it would help with our drama exam in the summer so most our class went. only a small theatre and i hadn't been for years. it's changed an awful lot and (surprise surprise!) i remember it as much bigger lol. it was still very good and we had a great laugh, though one of the lads was bored for most the time. i saw Peter Pan just after christmas as well, at a bigger theatre so it was much better. i hadn't seen a pantomime for years then all of a sudden 2 within a couple of weeks - fantastic!
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{