What american actor would you like to play James Bond if possible ?

Comments

• spidermanspiderman Posts: 20MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    Cloony screwed Batman, imagine what he would do to Bond franchise.

Another aspect is his age, it´s like to hire Roger Moore for the shooting of VIEW TO A KILL - imagine it as his first movie in his age

I think Brad Pitt is nice choice for Bond - even if he is maybe too handsome.

But best Bond for me is Colin Farell (yeah, yeah, he is not american :-)

and GREAT AMERICAN bond could be Paul Walker from Fast and Furious
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    There should be NO American actor to be allowed to play James Bond. The mere suggestion is not funny; its downright ludicrous. 8-)

The day an American is signed for the part of Bond is the day I lose total respect for the people who run Eon, and I would stay well away from any such resulting film(s). X-(
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    There should be NO American actor to be allowed to play James Bond. The mere suggestion is not funny; its downright ludicrous. 8-)

The day an American is signed for the part of Bond is the day I lose total respect for the people who run Eon, and I would stay well away from any such resulting film(s). X-(

You're right, dammit! English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Australian are OK, but no Americans!!
    Yeah, now I feel better!!! GROWWWWLLL!!!!

8-)
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Barry Nelson?

I am honored, but no thanks. If they thought Craig wasn't good looking enough for the part I can't imagine what they would say about me.

For the record, an American should not play Bond.
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited December 2007

Full agreement!Bloody Hell!It's insult enough that nearly all of the screenplays are/were by American writers and that the Broccoli family is itself American!Jeezus!Whatever could they possibly know about making James Bond films?The bloody cheek!Who the hell do these Yanks think they ARE, anyway?Let's see some proper British producers handle this series instead.

And if Eon should ever even consider using Englishmen or Welshmen or Irishmen or Australians to play 007, this series will immediately go right down the drain!My God,it'll be the death knell for 007!!!

Everybody knows that James Bond must always be played by a Scotsman--after all,007's creator Ian Fleming made that Bond's nationality.Only Scots need ever apply for this role.

Grrrr.....
  • AlessandraAlessandra Lake Garda, ItalyPosts: 633MI6 Agent
    If an American actor acts well and can pull off a good British accent, I don't see why he couldn't be Bond.

This said, my vote of course goes to the one and only Hugh Jackman, who has English parents and can definitely do a very good British accent, plus is just perfect for Bond. :x

I'd love George Clooney as well, but still think Jackman would be the best choice.

If not, I think there are various other very good choices depending on whether we look for a very young or normal age Bond.

Young: Christian Bale, Enrique Murciano (who is great on Without A Trace. And a few who have blond hair which I am not a fan of for Bond, but hypothetically..we can dye their hair I suppose. :)):)) Paul Walker (very interesting one there), Scott Speedman (he'd be the best one IMO) and Eric Close.

"normal" age: Josh Hopkins (he looks mighty fine in a tuxedo and totally has that impertinent smile a la Sean Connery), Josh Duhamel (swoonnn), James Marsden (although he does comedy mainly, but he's definitely a good actor) and even if a bit older Dylan McDermott (YES, watch Big Shots and you'll understand what I mean.. he totally plays Bond there :D) and Michael Vartan (even though he's blond, but he was awesome on Alias and I love him! :D).
    "Are we on coms?" (if you don't know where this is from... you've missed some really good stuff! :D)
  • ant007ukant007uk Great BritainPosts: 67MI6 Agent
    An American play Bond, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO never in a million years!!!! Not meant to be racist in any way shape or form, I just feel Bond has to be played by someone from Britain or the Commonwealth at the very least!!!!!!!
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent

You're right, dammit! English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Australian are OK, but no Americans!!
    Yeah, now I feel better!!! GROWWWWLLL!!!!

8-)

What about a Kiwi? Could a New Zealander play Bond? IMO I think one could, just don't know if one would be cast as Bond. Maybe Karl Urban? He was rumoured at being a possible Bond way back before we knew about Craig. What do you think?
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • BS 007BS 007 Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    jamesfan wrote:
    I propose George Clooney.
    What else ?:(|)

Jake Gyllenhaal maybe.
    293638172smalllg0.th.jpg
  • SB_DiamondSB_Diamond North Miami Beach, FLPosts: 126MI6 Agent
    Ok, now I think that Bond should always be played by someone from the UK or an Aussie, but, I'm not completely against the idea of an American though. Just like Bond doesn't necessarily have to be a smoker to create a mood, he doesn't have to be British to be good. Like others have said, if the actor is good enough and can pull off a believable accent, then why not, who knows, he could turn out to be the best Bond yet (please don't lynch me for that one). Now I actually agree with CTrent49 on Jeffery Donovan. He is good looking and if you've seen Burn Notice you know that its basically a super smart@$$ American James Bond 'on the lamb' so to speak. I think he could work...;)
    *~Orbis Non Sufficit~*
  • Martini007Martini007 Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    American ?:s

Well, Climax did it but...:(|)
  • Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent
    I am an American and I think every James Bond should be British. I love the fact that they have gone back to Fleming's Bond. One this about Bond that should be absolute is that he be British.

The blond hair thing never really bothered me. Craig has obviously done a fantastis job and I hope he continues to do so for a very long time.

In my opinion, you can change Bond's hair color, his car, his tailor but NOT HIS NATIONALITY!

Now if this was purely a hypothetical question ...Clooney would have been decent about 10 years ago. I think we can all agree that no one can pull off a tux like he does.
    "I musht be dreaming."
  • Martini007Martini007 Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Now if this was purely a hypothetical question ...Clooney would have been decent about 10 years ago. I think we can all agree that no one can pull off a tux like he does.

Brosnan does it better in my opinion.-{
  • Jordan16Jordan16 Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    Wow guys, I never knew that the idea of an American actor for Bond was so rejected! I really would not mind, as long as the actor adopted a British accent to make it seem more like a Bond film.:)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    Everybody knows that James Bond must always be played by a Scotsman--after all,007's creator Ian Fleming made that Bond's nationality.Only Scots need ever apply for this role.

Seems reasonable. :)
  • Jordan16Jordan16 Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    James Bond is English. It is mentioned in the films. Also, he says For England, Alec.
    Jordan16 wrote:
    James Bond is English. It is mentioned in the films.

James Bond is Scottish/Swiss. It is mentioned in the books.
  • SB_DiamondSB_Diamond North Miami Beach, FLPosts: 126MI6 Agent
    Commander James Bond, CMG, RNVR is an AGENT of the British Secret Intelligence Service (SIS) (more commonly, MI6). That doesn't make him British. James Bond's parents are Andrew Bond, a Scotsman, and Monique Delacroix, from Canton de Vaud, Switzerland. Their nationalities were established in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Fleming emphasized Bond's Scottish heritage in admiration of Sean Connery's cinematic portrayal, whereas Bond's mother is named after a Swiss fiancée of Fleming's. A planned, but unwritten, novel would have portrayed Bond's mother as a Scot. Ian Fleming was a member of a prominent Scottish banking family, so you can guess why he made Bond a Scot.

Just to clear this up once and for all...
    *~Orbis Non Sufficit~*
    SB_Diamond wrote:
    Just to clear this up once and for all...

Ah, if only that were so :) . Thanks for the back-up, SBD!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Have you seen the latest edition of GQ magazine?
    James Brolin looks very bondian there. Look at the picture where he is sitting in a boat and spitting beer. It's amazing how much he looks like a Brosnan picture where he was spitting water! ....But Bond shouldn't be american anyway, so this is just an "intelectual exercise"
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    That should have been Josh Brolin, obviously.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Have you seen the latest edition of GQ magazine?
    James Brolin looks very bondian there. Look at the picture where he is sitting in a boat and spitting beer. It's amazing how much he looks like a Brosnan picture where he was spitting water!

I've seen the cover and Josh Brolin looks great. I think the tag-line is 'Return of the Tough Guy.' Haven't looked inside though. I remember the Brozzer spitting water picture too.
  • Apocrypha23Apocrypha23 Posts: 177MI6 Agent
    Apropos of nothing, I just read that Josh Brolin may play The Terminator in yet another sequel.
    Jordan16 wrote:

Just out of interest, where exactly is this mentioned?
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Jordan16 wrote:

James Bond is Scottish/Swiss. It is mentioned in the books.
    Barbel wrote:
    Jordan16 wrote:

Just so long the actor isn't Swiss. :))
    Barbel wrote:
    Jordan16 wrote:

There is the exchange with 006 in GE,

"For England, James."
    "For England Alec."

Somehow I don't think Sean Connery would have delivered that line. :))
    highhopes wrote:
    Just so long the actor isn't Swiss. :))

I'm kinda neutral on that one! :))
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:

"For England, James."
    "For England Alec."

Then by that logic, Brosnan wouldn't have delivered that line either, because he's Irish.

I'd tend to take the word of Fleming's books over the films. Fleming says Bond is half Scottish, half Swiss, but brought up in England and educated at Eton. Nowhere in the novels that I know of does he ever attribute James Bond as being English, perhaps with the exception of From Russia With Love, when the Russians referred to him as "Angliski Spion" - English spy. Perhaps they should've more accurately called him a British spy.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
  • PinewoodSpyPinewoodSpy Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    Im very sorry - but Bond is the VERY BRITISH (emphasis on both) secret agent - much as i know our cousins over the pond would like to adopt him I afraid you have your Bourne and Jack Ryan, Dirk Pitt, - he is actually ours and we will fight to keep him. I really feel that to cast an american actor as Bond would truly do the franchise and its creator a disservice. Better to let the franchise die and go invent a new more explosive character. If Bond must be American then look to the reams of americam literature (or comics) to find one of your own. Its like casting Richard3 and saying its set in downtown maimi. I mean no offense by this - but in context - lets get Clive Owen to play Lincoln as an Oxford don during the Civil War
    John Drake wrote:

"For England, James."
    "For England Alec."

Then by that logic, Brosnan wouldn't have delivered that line either, because he's Irish.

It was Brosnan's first film, with a lot riding on it, so I'm betting he would have said anything the producers asked him. I do remember seeing GE for the first time and thinking Brosnan delivered it through gritted teeth. :)) But Connery, Scottish National Party mascot/pet that he is, would have sooner made a sequel to Darby O'Gill and the Little People than delivered that line.