What american actor would you like to play James Bond if possible ?

Comments

• Rick RobertsRick Roberts Posts: 536MI6 Agent
    Jeremy Renner would be my first choice because of The Hurt Locker and Dahmer. A shame he is a yank, terrific young actor.
  • deliciousdelicious SydneyPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    Weird Al Yankovitch
    Robin Williams
    any of the ex-presidents
  • InfernorhythmInfernorhythm Los AngelesPosts: 88MI6 Agent
    As far as I'm concerned, Nelson played "Jimmy Bond", a completely different person to the James Bond that was created by Fleming.

James Bond is British, and should continue to be played by British actors. I don't know why anyone is even entertaining the idea of getting an American to play the character. As a British icon, I see no reason why this series of movies shouldn't continue to support British acting talent.
    Well, Lazenby and Brosnan weren't British and they did pretty well.

I'm not really sure what American actor could pull off Bond, at least now. Maybe some older actors from the 50s and 60s, but right now I can't think of a single one.
    "You're both, what's the expression? Damaged goods."
  • zig zagzig zag EnglandPosts: 244MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    John Drake wrote:
    There is the exchange with 006 in GE,

"For England, James."
    "For England Alec."

Somehow I don't think Sean Connery would have delivered that line. :))

Then by that logic, Brosnan wouldn't have delivered that line either, because he's Irish.

It was Brosnan's first film, with a lot riding on it, so I'm betting he would have said anything the producers asked him. I do remember seeing GE for the first time and thinking Brosnan delivered it through gritted teeth. :)) But Connery, Scottish National Party mascot/pet that he is, would have sooner made a sequel to Darby O'Gill and the Little People than delivered that line.
    Actually connery said "ah the things I do for england" in YOLT.This is in the scene where he cuts the straps off the dress on,helga brandt.
    Bet that made the bugger sick,ha ha.
    Anyway bond is british,NO yank should ever play him.And thats a fact :p
    "Yes,dammit,I said "was".The bitch is dead now."

"It's not difficult to get a double 0 number if your prepared to kill people"
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    One American actor I admire is Jeffrey Donovan, the star of the superb Burn Notice. I don't want an American to play Bond, but if one were to do so, I think he would be a great choice; he's cool, an impressive actor, is great in action scenes, is good looking, and could perhaps do suave. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    Sorry to any Americans out there, but I never want an American to play Bond. You kind of already own the film industry, and the Bond franchise - I just want to keep Bond British! I even hated Craig driving the Ford in CR! It's all make believe, so let's keep the illusion. Britain has given up just about everything in recent years, especially its dignity in the Bush/Blair butt-boy years. For God's sake let us keep Bond!
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Well, I'll steer clear of the political commentary, since I'd gladly take that over what we both have now :# ...but I'm totally with you on Bond remaining as British as humanly possible :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • zebondzebond DolletPosts: 103MI6 Agent
    I can second this nod as an American. I would also want Bond to stay as British as possible, but all the while noting a handful of Bonds, indeed perhaps even the most famous, was not British ;) So I say let's try not to get too hung up on nationalities, and more hung up on quality of actor.
    "Guns make me nervous!"
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Extended commonwealth seems to count... :v
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    im american and dont think one should play Bond, though i honestly dont care as its just a nationality,christian bale is batman after all so you never know.
    Well I thought this was a purely speculative thread. I wouldn't want an American as Bond either.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,326Chief of Staff
    zebond wrote:
    I can second this nod as an American. I would also want Bond to stay as British as possible, but all the while noting a handful of Bonds, indeed perhaps even the most famous, was not British ;)

You're obviously not talking about Lazenby or Nelson, so does that mean you consider Brosnan's the most famous...?
    No I was referring to Connery whom I believe is Scottish, but seeing as Brosnan is Irish and very popular with some fans of his era I can see how one would assume.
    "Guns make me nervous!"
    zebond wrote:
    No I was referring to Connery whom I believe is Scottish, but seeing as Brosnan is Irish and very popular with some fans of his era I can see how one would assume.

Whom you believe ? LOL !
    zebond wrote:

Sean Connery is most certainly Scottish- I can't see how that could be doubted- so on what basis do you assert that he is not British, Mr zebond?
    My sincere apologizes Mr Barbel, I was erroneously thinking in the novelistic sense and had already zoned in on England as the basis of the topic, which as pointed out, was indeed incorrect. So if I may rephrase, switching the words of my previously lackluster post-mistaken self.

I would like to keep Bond as humanly possible to the literary character as can be. Though I would like to point out that of the actors to have portrayed him, only 2 were actually English, so lets not get hung up on petty things.

And Mr Roberts, you pointed out I should indeed switch my point, I'm positive he's Scottish, thank you for the rather helpful post which I believe did little more than raise your post count by 1.
    "Guns make me nervous!"
    zebond wrote:
    And Mr Roberts, you pointed out I should indeed switch my point, I'm positive he's Scottish, thank you for the rather helpful post which I believe did little more than raise your post count by 1.

Relax zebond, just a friendly jab. ;)
    zebond wrote:
    I would like to keep Bond as humanly possible to the literary character as can be. Though I would like to point out that of the actors to have portrayed him, only 2 were actually English, so lets not get hung up on petty things.

Ian Fleming is generally considered a good source for information on the literary character James Bond:

OHMSS Page 69
    YOLT Pages 20 and 240
    TMWTGG Page 219 (All page references from the Jonathan Cape editions)
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 983MI6 Agent
    In a magazine interview with Pierce Brosnan I remember quite well (I'll even quote off the top of my head), he was asked...:

Who would James Bond be if he were American?

"Less reserved. Next question."

No, but what actor would play him?

"George Clooney."
    Seeing as we don't know where Bond was born as Fleming never divulged, this is rather pointless. I conclude, however, Mr Barbel you would be equally pleased with a Swiss actor playing Bond as his mother was such, which is why I take it you have taken such offense to the Scottish mishap as his father was Scottish.
    "Guns make me nervous!"
    Well, that's that concluded then. :)
    I really meant no harm, I'd always assumed it was generally assumed Bond was English (correct me if I'm out of line) and that his bloodline mattered very little in the picking of the actor.
    "Guns make me nervous!"
  • dr. evan-gelistdr. evan-gelist SheffieldPosts: 398MI6 Agent
    I'd never want an American as bond, but in their day, actors like Nick Nolte, Mel Gibson and Dirk Benedict would have been fine.
    "You're in the wrong business... leave it to the professionals!"
    James Bond- Licence To Kill
  • Paul ThomasPaul Thomas Missouri USAPosts: 25MI6 Agent
    Being an American, I can say that James Bond should always be played by a British man. I've never met many fellow Americans that had the culture and class that it takes to play James Bond even in real life. If an American man would act as James Bond it would certainly only be an act. Not all but most American men would play a better role like the brown nosing self serving Federal agent riding in the jet on Quantum Of Solace. :)
    I would ask you if you could remain emotionally detached. But I don't think that's your problem is it Bond?

No
    edited August 2009
    zebond wrote:
    Seeing as we don't know where Bond was born as Fleming never divulged, this is rather pointless. I conclude, however, Mr Barbel you would be equally pleased with a Swiss actor playing Bond as his mother was such, which is why I take it you have taken such offense to the Scottish mishap as his father was Scottish.

Didn't they say in one of the Fleming documentaries on one of the UE James Bond DVD's where Bond was born ? I can't remember it may have been with the THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS UE.
  • Paul ThomasPaul Thomas Missouri USAPosts: 25MI6 Agent
    A correction here, I meant a man from the UK should always play the role of James Bond. James Bond with an American accent would be ridiculous. :))
    I would ask you if you could remain emotionally detached. But I don't think that's your problem is it Bond?

No
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    zebond wrote:
    the Scottish mishap .

I have some very bad news Mrs Bond. You'd better sit down. It's your son, I'm afraid he's...Scottish.
    John Drake wrote:
    zebond wrote:
    the Scottish mishap .

I have some very bad news Mrs Bond. You'd better sit down. It's your son, I'm afraid he's...Scottish.

:)) :))

"Oh, thank you doctor- but does that mean he isn't British as well?"

"No, Mrs Bond, he's both. Now, just lie back while I see to Mrs Connery in the next bed."

(Just a quick thought- does this make Monique Bond the very first person to have been able to say "I've been expecting you, Mr Bond..." :s )
  • jimmyb_1jimmyb_1 Kansas, USAPosts: 2MI6 Agent
    I think having Bond be an American would be a bad idea. I can't tell the difference between an English and a Scott's accent or even an american doing a very good impersonation of the accent but I think other aspects of the actor's character would reveal him to be not a true Brit. Not referring to anything in particular just I think viewers would be able to tell especially if you've already read about it prior to viewing the film.
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    Extended commonwealth seems to count... :v

While Pierce Brosnan is not much to be proud of, he does not come from the British Commonwealth so that doesn't quite cut it either
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung