What american actor would you like to play James Bond if possible ?

Comments

• DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    If Christian Bale counts as American(a debatable point) then he should be the first American Bond as he is an amazing actor and would have a perfect accent
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    DaltonFan1 wrote:
    Extended commonwealth seems to count... :v

While Pierce Brosnan is not much to be proud of, he does not come from the British Commonwealth so that doesn't quite cut it either

Ireland?

All right...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    DaltonFan1 wrote:
    If Christian Bale counts as American(a debatable point) then he should be the first American Bond as he is an amazing actor and would have a perfect accent

American??
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    DaltonFan1 wrote:

As far as I'm aware Bale was born in Timothy Dalton land and raised amongst the English. Making his background either Welsh, or Anglo-Welsh.
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    As an American I would have to say that the American actors are best suited for members of American international intelligence groups. The Felix Leiter role was invented so that there was a place for Americans. There's nothing wrong with Bond remaining British. That's one of his best qualities. -{
    jimmyb_1 wrote:
    I can't tell the difference between an English and a Scott's accent.

You must be able to tell Sean Connery and Roger Moore talk shlightly differently shurely?
  • OsatoOsato Aberdeen, ScotlandPosts: 99MI6 Agent
    Just to be accurate on the "Bond is half Scots and half Swiss" thing:

There was nothing Scottish (or Swiss) about Bond until after 1962. Fleming never delved into Bond's past before then, and the assumption (although never confirmed) was that he was English.

Fleming was so impressed by Connery's performances in DN and FRWL that in his next novel he referred to Bond being Scots/Swiss in his (unnecessary) obituary. This he did to "explain" Bond's obvious Scots accent in the movies, and thereby consolidate the whole Bond book & movie franchise.

Having said that, I can't argue with Fleming, whether or not he really intended Bond to be a Scot. It does seem to limit the actor choice to one with a convincing English or Scottish accent though.

So definitely NO AMERICANS!
    Green figs, yoghurt, coffee very black.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    I said this before, Bond has to stay British, or atleast to me anyway, i like having a hero i admire not be american,we have Indiana Jones anyway....
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Why does this question always deal with an American actor? Why don't people post more topics titled ... "What Albanian or Algerian or Austrian or Italian actor would you like to play Bond if possible?"

I'm just saying :007)
    Alex wrote:
    "What Italian actor would you like to play Bond if possible?"

Kim Rossi Stuart from Romanzo Criminale

419c9d35a207f_big.jpg
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    edited September 2009
    An american actor playing Bond is almost to bad to contemplate. An italian Bond is far worse ... :o
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    The point I was trying to make is that whenever this question appears, the responses are predictable.

I agree with them, we know where James comes from. But it seems like we are critical of other nationalities for their non-Bondish qualities in the process.

• TheMasterTheMaster Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Well, I don't know whether an American will be good for the role or not, but I am sure Daniel Craig is working good.

http://www.pablooceanique.com
  • Bond Fan_007Bond Fan_007 Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    jamesfan wrote:
    I propose George Clooney.

Are you under the influence of some kind of narcotic??? No yank ever should play Bond!!!!!!!!
    Bring Back Pierce Brosnan!
  • Mike ZMike Z San Francisco, CAPosts: 43MI6 Agent
    None at all please
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    edited September 2009
    Plenty of British Commonwealth actors portray Americans these days with perfect American accents. Even the current James Bond has done it (and will continue on Broadway using what reportably is a spot on Chicago accent) so I wouldn't have a problem with an American actor who was right for the role and could pull off a perfect British accent. If I was British I might feel differently based upon how iconic the role is. Jon Hamm, the actor from Mad Men has been mentioned in this thread. I recently began watching Mad Men and am very impressed with Hamm. However, I think what may color my assessment is the dead-on 60's setting of the show and how much Hamm's portrayal of ad exec Don Draper borrows from Connery's portrayal of Bond...there is a scene in one episode where Hamm as Draper uses a kind of powerful and very physical/sexual dominence to "influence" a female charactor that has to be seen to be appreciated that looked like it was right out of an early Connery Bond. It's almost as if you took Connery as Bond and made him an American ad exec in the 60's. What would be problematic IMO about Jon Hamm is that he could do a great job of playing Sean Connery playing James Bond but might be incapable of pulling off his own unique interpretation of a modern day Bond, as Daniel Craig has done with so much success. I hope that makes sense.

Are you under the influence of some kind of narcotic

To be honest I'm a bit pissed. :)
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I think the only way to pull off an American playing Bond would be if it is an unknown actor with an impeccable English accent. Having a well-known American actor playing Bond would defeat any suspension of disbelief if you ask me.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    I think the only way to pull off an American playing Bond would be if it is an unknown actor with an impeccable English accent. Having a well-known American actor playing Bond would defeat any suspension of disbelief if you ask me.

Ever heard an American with an impeccable English accent?
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    I think the only way to pull off an American playing Bond would be if it is an unknown actor with an impeccable English accent.

Whoa there, pardner; British accent!
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

Meryl Streep
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:

Meryl Streep

Touche... :v

Can't quite see her as 007 though... :))
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I thought Renee Zellwegger had a pretty dead-on British (thanks Barbel) accent in the Bridget Jones movies. So why couldn't there be an American male actor who could do the same. It's at least a possibility.
    HowardB wrote:

Meryl Streep

Touche... :v

Can't quite see her as 007 though... :))
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    What about Robert Downey, Jr., who handled an English accent in Chaplin, and who is now playing Sherlock Holmes? (And, no, I don't think he can play Bond!)
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Dmitri MishkinDmitri Mishkin Kansas CityPosts: 334MI6 Agent
    Joseph Fiennes, James Franco, Scott Caan, Vincent Kartheiser,
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    Joseph Fiennes, James Franco, Scott Caan, Vincent Kartheiser,

Fiennes isn't American, he's English. Which for playing James Bond is... acceptable -{.
  • VeronaVerona Posts: 54MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    Why does this question always deal with an American actor? Why don't people post more topics titled ... "What Albanian or Algerian or Austrian or Italian actor would you like to play Bond if possible?"

I certainly wouldn't care if the actor was born in Austria or Italy or wherever. If he had lived in England for years, spoke perfect English with a British accent and was a genuinely good actor, that's Bond material in my book. It comes down to performance in the end. Who gives a damn about the family he comes from?

Then again, I'm not British so maybe y'all have some national pride thing involved with JB.
  • Max EMax E In the northPosts: 80MI6 Agent
    Never an american actor, but in theory a swiss actor could play Bond. -{
    You know in America it’s “bling, bling”, but out here it’s “bling, bang”.
  • The NumberThe Number Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    American? I'm American and I do not want one of us as Bond.

To me it just fits the role to know the Actor is English or at least a bit English. It just completes the picture for me.
  • Dmitri MishkinDmitri Mishkin Kansas CityPosts: 334MI6 Agent
    Perhaps Jeremy Renner. I loved his work in the Hurt Locker and SWAT.
    jeremy-renner.jpg