What american actor would you like to play James Bond if possible ?

Comments

• DrFragmentDrFragment South Coast Of EnglandPosts: 49MI6 Agent
    Bond played by an American ? - (Dr) No, No, No, No, No !!!!
    "Mm... Royal Beluga, north of the Caspian."
  • SkyfallSkyfall Rushhaaa with luvvvPosts: 19MI6 Agent
    george clooney .......................only if britain decides to sink and take the whole united kingdom with her
    "... I never left.."
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I wonder if many Americans are complaining that a Brit is now playing Superman (that whole "truth, justice, and the American way" thing. . .). I'm just sayin'. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,633Chief of Staff
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I wonder if many Americans are complaining that a Brit is now playing Superman (that whole "truth, justice, and the American way" thing. . .). I'm just sayin'. . .

Interesting point, HB...has there been any rumblings..?...although I guess it will probably depend on how the film is perceived...
    YNWA 97
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,283MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:

Interesting point, HB...has there been any rumblings..?...although I guess it will probably depend on how the film is perceived...

Well, technically speaking, Superman isn't American, he's Krpytonian, and as the Kryptonian talent pool is pretty shallow in Hollywood these days I guess Cavill is as good a choice as anyone.

Seriously though, no one seemed to complain when Christian Bale was cast as Batman and as long as the finished product is good, no one will probably complain too much about Cavill (except the fanboys, who complain about everything).
    I think some of my irony is being missed. Brits play Americans all the time--in fact, a bit on Saturday Night Live last night reminded me that the new Peter Parker/Spider-Man is British--and you don't hear a lot of complaining. So long as the accent is plausible, the actor is usually accepted. If there is an American actor who looks like Bond* and who can speak as if his background is Scottish/Etonian, then why shouldn't he play the character?

*Please note: I don't want anyone to chime in with "But Daniel Craig doesn't look like Bond!" Let's stick to the topic at hand.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I think some of my irony is being missed. Brits play Americans all the time--in fact, a bit on Saturday Night Live last night reminded me that the new Peter Parker/Spider-Man is British--and you don't hear a lot of complaining. So long as the accent is plausible, the actor is usually accepted. If there is an American actor who looks like Bond* and who can speak as if his background is Scottish/Etonian, then why shouldn't he play the character?

*Please note: I don't want anyone to chime in with "But Daniel Craig doesn't look like Bond!" Let's stick to the topic at hand.
    As if anyone would.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:

I get the irony HB - and I have to say that you're right in the fact, if they can do the accent then that’s okay.

I mean a girlie example would be Bridget Jones - a true British girl in the books.... and then she is played by Renee Zellweger :s However, she was good.... and I enjoy the films.... and forget she is from the US.

The point I think people are trying to make is the iconacy (is that a word???? :)) ) of the role. I mean, honestly.... would Americans like it if say the President of the US was played by a Brit? Let's imagine a set of books that had been written about one such President.... or if they did another re-make of JFK - and it was a Brit who had a lead role. I can't imagine it wouldn't have its criticisms and outcry of ‘not necessary’.

And so it should.

There are enough US actors out there that could fill that role, and the same goes for Bond…there are enough British actors who can follow the brief, without having to look across the pond.

Just my opinion.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    I think the iconagrphic element mentioned is important. The actor not only has to portray Bond on film, promote the film, and then clear off and enjoy the large paycheck.

He has to "be" Bond off screen.

By that I don't mean he has to be an action man, babe magnet. But he has to have something of Bond about him off screen, be papped as the current James Bond.

Rog did it perfectly. Brosnan lived it, the American version of an "Englishman" living among them in LA. Even Craig - perhaps shockingly when he first took it over as a luuvy North London serious actor - has taken to the Omega watches, the TF suits, the smart restuaraunts, the cars, OFF screen. (Notably, Tim Dalton didn't play that part...)

I wonder if an American, with the natural cultural differences between Britain and the USA, could pull that off 24/7. Surely, off screen he'd be an American, naturally, through and through, and that would jar.

Am I making sense???
    Lexi wrote:
    I mean, honestly.... would Americans like it if say the President of the US was played by a Brit? Let's imagine a set of books that had been written about one such President.... or if they did another re-make of JFK - and it was a Brit who had a lead role. I can't imagine it wouldn't have its criticisms and outcry of ‘not necessary’.

Lexi, hate to tell you this, but a Brit has played a U.S. president: Kenneth Branagh played Franklin Delano Roosevelt in the cable-TV movie Warm Springs. He was very good in the role and there wasn't even a peep of protest. Also, no American president is more iconic than Abraham Lincoln; Steven Spielberg is making a film about him, and Kentucky-born, Illinois-reared Honest Abe is being played by. . .Daniel Day-Lewis! If anyone is protesting, it's certainly not getting any play in the media.

Your serve. . . :007)
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Lexi wrote:
    I mean, honestly.... would Americans like it if say the President of the US was played by a Brit? Let's imagine a set of books that had been written about one such President.... or if they did another re-make of JFK - and it was a Brit who had a lead role. I can't imagine it wouldn't have its criticisms and outcry of ‘not necessary’.

Lexi, hate to tell you this, but a Brit has played a U.S. president: Kenneth Branagh played Franklin Delano Roosevelt in the cable-TV movie Warm Springs. He was very good in the role and there wasn't even a peep of protest. Also, no American president is more iconic than Abraham Lincoln; Steven Spielberg is making a film about him, and Kentucky-born, Illinois-reared Honest Abe is being played by. . .Daniel Day-Lewis! If anyone is protesting, it's certainly not getting any play in the media.

Ahhhhh..... well......

what do they say... do your research before you make an absolute statement.... ;%

oops! Back of the class Lexi :))
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:

Precious character Bruce Wayne/Batman is played by Christian Bale. I must say, I can't really take hearing Bale's real accent anymore. He just nails his American characters too well.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Let's not forget Anthony Hopkins, who played Nixon in Oliver Stone's movie.
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Lexi wrote:

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Let's not forget Anthony Hopkins, who played Nixon in Oliver Stone's movie.

And he also played John Quincy Adams in Spielberg's Amistad. . .and in the same movie, Martin Van Buren was played by Nigel Hawthorne. What is it with Spielberg getting Brits to play U. S. presidents?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • pyratpyrat Posts: 260MI6 Agent
    It's not that I'd be opposed to the right American playing Bond, it's just that I can't really think of Bond as other than a Brit, although this has not been the case in the past, notably Lazenby, but since he only did the one film, we never got the chance to see how he would have worked out in the long run.
    Pyrat
    Reflections in a double bourbon...
  • jamesfanjamesfan Posts: 56MI6 Agent
    How about Stuart Townsend ?
  • BodieBodie Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    I think Fassbender would be great, but as the question is about an American actor for the sake of chucking a name into the hat what about Matt Bomer from White Collar. Always reminds me of a young Tomothy Dalton and certainly looks good in the clothes.
  • oscar rubiooscar rubio Madrid (Spain)Posts: 286MI6 Agent
    No English actors to play James Bond?
    I guess Antonio Banderas would do a good job
    jamesfan wrote:

Antonio Banderas is not British
    Really? Shocking!
    jamesfan wrote:

Antonio Banderas is not British
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I think in the States we are just used to folks from Great Britain, Australia, etc playing American charactors. This goes back many, many years to Carey Grant, Errol Flynn, Ray Miland, Olivier, etc, etc. They played just about every type of American role from historical figuires to cowboys.....and sometimes with way more than a hint of their native accents. Nowadays so many actors from the UK, Australia, etc and so good at American accents that most Americans don't even know they aren't American until they hear them speak in their native accent.
    Ok,but for the James Bond role,I thing is for me important the actor birth in England
  • Martin AstonMartin Aston LondonPosts: 408MI6 Agent
    Ok,but for the James Bond role,I thing is for me important the actor birth in England

I don't agree, Connery is a Scot, Lazenby an Australian, Dalton is Welsh and Brosnan is Irish. Yes, Moore and Craig are English but does the role need to be played by an Englishman? Nope, but I do however think that the series could suffer if an established American actor was given the role. At the end of the day though it's like any role in life, it should go to the right person.

I don't agree, Connery is a Scot, Lazenby an Australian, Dalton is Welsh and Brosnan is Irish. Yes, Moore and Craig are English but does the role need to be played by an Englishman? Nope, but I do however think that the series could suffer if an established American actor was given the role. At the end of the day though it's like any role in life, it should go to the right person.

I just don't think I want it to be an American doing an extreme fake accent. I don't like knowing my American's are faking the British accent for a British icon. This is my main problem with Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes. I remember several times throughout the movie that he is faking the British thing while he is portraying an icon. It just takes it down a notch for me. I really don't mind any of the nationalities of the Bond's we've had, so I guess I just don't mind if they have a European accent already, or in Lazenby's case, an accent that is a cousin of Bond's own.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Bond is British. He should have a British accent. It is fine by me if it has a touch of a regional accent (Welsh, Scottish, etc). There is obviously precedent for this in the series. He should not have a touch of a French, German, Italian, Spanish, etc accent so I don't really get the European accent thing that Mr. Beech is referencing. Remember Christopher Lambert as a Scotsman in "Highlander" yeesh. That being said I surely would not want an American actor portraying Bond unless he could pull off a flawless British accent. Ironically, Roger Moore who portrayed Bond with a flawless uppercrust British accent could never have pulled Bond off with his native British accent which was heavyduty Cockney, much like Michael Cain's. Daniel Craig is from the North, but his Bond doesn't sound like one of the Beatles in "A Hard Days Night" either.
    HowardB wrote:
    Bond is British. He should have a British accent. It is fine by me if it has a touch of a regional accent (Welsh, Scottish, etc). There is obviously precedent for this in the series. He should not have a touch of a French, German, Italian, Spanish, etc accent so I don't really get the European accent thing that Mr. Beech is referencing. Remember Christopher Lambert as a Scotsman in "Highlander" yeesh. That being said I surely would not want an American actor portraying Bond unless he could pull off a flawless British accent. Ironically, Roger Moore who portrayed Bond with a flawless uppercrust British accent could never have pulled Bond off with his native British accent which was heavyduty Cockney, much like Michael Cain's. Daniel Craig is from the North, but his Bond doesn't sound like one of the Beatles in "A Hard Days Night" either.

I am aware there isn't one single European accent, but I would prefer a European one over a US one if they are going to try and pull off a different European accent.

Well, Lazenby is Australian, who was a British colony.
    For others, do not think the accent is very different accent from England.
    But if an American actor plays the role of James Bond, one of the details you'll notice is his accent.
    Like Javier Bardem and Antonio Banderas did 007.
    For me it is a very important point in time to see James Bond, elegance and glamor very typical of the British.
    And I like that.
    Although I honestly do not see any time actor playing James Bond, Daniel Craig only
    How about Billy Zane ?
    Stop! Please stop!