The Madagascar Shirt - the deal

Comments

• David Brown 5David Brown 5 Posts: 20MI6 Agent
    Dear guys

Firstly thanks for your hard work regarding the shirt. I would be happy to get the buttons later on. Or if the shirt will be ready in new year i'll wait then.

ps forgive my entries Blackberrys are difficult!

DB5
  • JesseDartJesseDart Posts: 25MI6 Agent
    Is it to late to get one??
  • Coldheart96Coldheart96 Florida , USAPosts: 203MI6 Agent
    Any update on this project? I'm headed down to the islands in 2 weeks. Would love to take it with me. Cheers.
    Bond: "Who would spend $1 million to kill me?"
    M: "Jealous husbands. Outraged chefs. Humiliated tailors. The list is endless!"
  • Troubleshooter007Troubleshooter007 Fighting an evil organizationPosts: 23MI6 Agent
    Hi is it still possible to get one?
  • DrBondDrBond USAPosts: 110MI6 Agent
    I hope this doesn't undermine your shirt project, but I was too late to get in on it so I got two shirts from Magnoli. They are a little snug though, so I have to order another two. They're sized between a L and XL, with a good taper because I don't have a gut - I can give the exact measurements to whomever is interested - but I'm going to have to sell them here. Same as my cost - $150 - free shipping in the states.
    "My name is Pussy Galore."

"I must be dreaming."
  • BRIXMISBRIXMIS Great BritainPosts: 171MI6 Agent
    Be interested in actual sizes. How do you rate them as copies? I know magnoli is due to start making them again soon, dont know why he stopped, unless he wanted to change some details? Cheers, Brixmis
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    DrBond wrote:
    I hope this doesn't undermine your shirt project, but I was too late to get in on it so I got two shirts from Magnoli. They are a little snug though, so I have to order another two. They're sized between a L and XL, with a good taper because I don't have a gut - I can give the exact measurements to whomever is interested - but I'm going to have to sell them here. Same as my cost - $150 - free shipping in the states.

Am I the only one with the opinion, that this thread is long enough?

Do we need now a discussion for Magnoli replicas for sale in this thread?

Wasn't it, that Magnoli stopped his first production due some inaccuracies or eventually copyright issues?
    I suggest to do, what Dr. Bond didn't do: Start a new thread if necessary.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Who else received a Magnoli shirt here...I was under the impression they were on hold till this project was over.
  • cpoulos62cpoulos62 Station UPosts: 451MI6 Agent
    Nothing to add other then to be the 1000 post on this thread.

Woo hoo {[]
  • Mr WhiteMr White Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    Who else received a Magnoli shirt here...I was under the impression they were on hold till this project was over.

I guess they got impatient seeing this project has taken so long.
  • KittlemeierKittlemeier U.S.Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    Nope. Just a pile of cloth I've been sitting on for eight months. More than most I guess.
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    time for an update; excuse the xmas/newyear interlude, but shirtmakers go on holiday too.. 8-)

firstly, some genuine good news;

the alternative buttons have arrived at the shirtmakers and they are busy sewing them onto the remaining shirts.

yes that means that everyone who has paid for their order will be getting their shirts VERY shortly (unless the strange orange lights seen over Bristol recently are actually related to all those who have gotten in the way of this humble project...)

I'm hopeful that deliveries can resume towards the end of the week...I will update again mid-week.

anyone still wanting to join the list (Troubleshooter??) pls pm either me or sruzgar with measurements etc.....

secondly, I see we have yet more noise from below...

well being a gentleman, i will refrain from resurecting all the angst and bile from previous portions of this thread.

particularly the nonsense about how exclusive and pricey we were making this shirt. The raw fact is that the (genuine) material cost the earth and could only be made in bulk size (although someone managed to find a small piece - but hardly any use to the rest of us unless they were intending to assist in breach of the material manufacturer's copyright..... :(|) )

I'm hopeful that those genuine souls who have offered so much verbal support on AJB will forgive me the time and 1000's of replies :)) this has taken.

When I say i'm going to do (or more importantly to a gentleman, NOT DO SOMETHING :p) i stick to it.

so a Happy, Genuine New Year to all -{

cheers, Paul
  • InkedInked Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    Can't wait to receive mine, thanks for the update and all the hard work Paul

Vince
    ke02eww wrote:
    (although someone managed to find a small piece - but hardly any use to the rest of us unless they were intending to assist in breach of the material manufacturer's copyright..... :(|) )

Okay, I'll say it again, real slow so you can understand. If I, who knows nothing about sewing, tailoring, etc, can find the maker of this cloth, don't you think there's the slightest possibility that someone else could have also. From everything I've seen it's one of the most famous companies IN THE WORLD.

I may be the only one who's found the right color but one link posted and everyone here could order the wrong color, yeah? From there everyone has a pattern, yeah? Color is easy enough to approximate. You've posted scrap/swatch pics, David's posted great pics with pretty accurate color of his shirt, and I've given detailed pics to a handful of people(who were on the list for your shirt but curious) and ASSURED them that YOUR fabric was CORRECT!

I was number six on the list of buyers. I've been on this project since the beginning, not the beginning where you knew the original maker, the one where we were going to have the fabric copied from stills and a replica made. Remember that? Probably not. I know how much the fabric costs at retail. I know we're getting a pretty good deal, although the maker surprised me. Why would I derail you from trying to get the most you could get of your investment back(not that anyone who was going to buy your shirt would have backed out for a replica)?

I'm glad Magnoli has made a replica, it's probably nice and much more affordable for the non crazies. Can't be sure as I've NEVER ordered anything from him and only spoken to him about a leather jacket. Don't know how he made his fabric. Maybe it was from pics. Maybe he found the alternate color. Maybe one of the other fifty or so buyers or other interested parties found some cloth also. One would think if he had the fabric in front of him, it being one sided as it is, the hash marks would fall from left to right, properly, not right to left, as on the sample shirt(his could be double sided I guess.

Most everyone here appreciates your efforts and investment Paul, but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit here with you making snide remarks and say nothing about it. And the constant threat of lawsuits(since I found the fabric) is kinda getting old. It's so hypocritical to speak so lowly of Magnoli when plenty of people here buy his clothes that they can't find or couldn't afford otherwise. Maybe everyone should just buy a $4000 Armani jacket. I know I'm still looking for one. 8-)

So go ahead and ignore this response as you always do.
    I think the twist here is that Magnoli had told Paul/Simon that he would not sell the shirts out of respect for the project until the run was finished, and clearly that was not the case. I think there is a great deal of passion around this project and with passion comes emotion. The question that is probably being asked by the project managers of this initiative is, "Why didn't Magnoli just email Simon or Paul and tell them that the gates have opened up to sales of these shirts?" Believe me, once everyone starts getting their shirts this will al die away and people will start posting pix and sharing stories and then all the grizzle of this thread will burn away.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,489MI6 Agent
    Kettlehamster, I think you are taking it too personally, you were not even mentioned, you just presumed it was you Paul was talking about.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    The thing is I keep getting called Judas by Paul for something that doesn't involve me and I'm sick of it. It happened when Magnoli's shirt was released and again now. I haven't complained about cost, time, anything. The only mistake I made was excitedly telling people I found some of the original fabric. Should have just kept it to myself so as no to threaten anyone's precious ego.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Kettlehamster, I think you are taking it too personally, you were not even mentioned, you just presumed it was you Paul was talking about.

Ass3ft, thanks for your input, but I believe I'm the only one who has mentioned I found the fabric and it's not the first time it's happened. Thanks again.
    I wish you knew Paul personally...he is egoless. I promise you. I am not defending him blindly as I know online words can be cold but don't paint the strokes to broadly. If the two of you had a beer together you would be laughing within minutes. I think we should let this all cool a bit.
  • SpectreIslandSpectreIsland spectreislandPosts: 274MI6 Agent
    I just checked the Magnoli Clothiers website just for the heck of it. I don't see the Madagascar Shirt advertised anywhere on their site.

No reason to get upset about anything.

Let's try and stay cool about this entire affair shall we.
  • jack008jack008 London, EnglandPosts: 39MI6 Agent
    Good now we can move on and stop wasting bloody posts, you guys your shirt is amazing, well priced and genuine, PLEASE make sure you all pst your pictures when recieved, which as paul says will be very soon.

So close but still so so far, it must be agony for you guys?
  • BRIXMISBRIXMIS Great BritainPosts: 171MI6 Agent
    I just checked the Magnoli Clothiers website just for the heck of it. I don't see the Madagascar Shirt advertised anywhere on their site.

No reason to get upset about anything.

Let's try and stay cool about this entire affair shall we.

Agreed. I spoke to Magnoli a while back and he said December for the shirt, he's now saying soemtime in january. Seems like he may be waiting for this project to go through.
  • JimboBondJimboBond Lake Mary, FLPosts: 89MI6 Agent
    What is the price of the shirt?
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    From what I've heard from the parties concerned, Paul is a "stand-up guy". The Bond prop guru known as Ed Magianni speaks very well of him. That is endorsement enough for me.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • DrBondDrBond USAPosts: 110MI6 Agent
    I feel like I may have stirred up a hornet's nest here so I have some 'splainin' to do:

I just discovered this forum in Oct 08; I was excited to find the shirt thread. After reading 600-700 posts I (mistakenly?) concluded that the run was closed and that no more shirts were available.

You can imagine my ecstasy when I stumbled on the Magnoli site and found the same shirt for half the price. I promptly ordered one (and then two, by mistake). After I notified Magnoli that they did not quite fit, he said I could order two more and sell the others on "eBay or one of the forums." I've already explained all this to Magnoli. I apparently received the first because it was shipped by mistake and promised not to 'spill the beans' that the shirt was available. After I recieved the second shirt I thought the gag order was lifted and then offered the two shirts for sale here so I could at least recoup some of the cost before buying two more.

As I said in my first post, I don't want to undermine the "project" shirt (and if I can still order one I will, even though it costs more). If Magnoli agreed not to release his shirts until this "project" shirt was completed then I have to honor that and not sell the two I have yet.

So, I have a couple questions: Mantis, you have posted pics of your shirt; where did you get it (I thought the project shirts were not done yet)? Who elso has shirts and where did they come from? When are these project shirts going to be available and can I still get one?

My apologies to anyone who has been confused or offended or anything; I am trying to do right by everyone.
    "My name is Pussy Galore."

"I must be dreaming."
    I was the first to receive one of Paul's shirts...partly because of my involvelement with the project but mostly because everyone knew I would take pics of it, get people excited again, and help tied over the wait. Then the button issue sprang up. NOW shirts are going to be delivered "toot sweet" so it is NOT too late to get one.
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    where to begin?...

well firstly (and most importantly) the shirts project is moving again....that's all i truely care about.

secondly, Kittlemier, I think you've over
    reacted just a touch. I don't recall ever discussing copying the fabric. And there have never been any threats. Only clear observations on the likely legality of certain actions - akin to what ASP9mm posts on firearms - which might save someone their liberty one day, if not already...

thirdly, you didn't offend my ego...if you can find a single post where i've raved about being the first to find something, first to buy something, first to do something, that i have the most, biggest, costliest of anything, then i may concede you have a point.

anyway, i was deeply toiuched by the posts supporting my name...you guys are simply the best, and what make this forum worth attending.

as regards speaking lowly of magnoli, just where did i do that?....

unless you mean my snide remark about sticking to my word?....

now that DrBond has explained how he came by his shirts, i'm hopeful that when we talk to magnoli, all will be calm...

so finally, as usual, Mantis speaks sense when he suggests we just don't know each other..let's forget this nonsense and get on with the project.
    ke02eww wrote:

which might save someone their liberty one day

:)) Now that's funny. Those who know why know why. Those who don't won't.

All good here, but from the way it reads to me and the way it was read by a couple who PM'd me, well, I already quoted you before. If you can't or won't see it, I just don't know what to say.
  • MisterMan57MisterMan57 Posts: 67MI6 Agent
    Does anyone know if Magnoli is still planning on releasing his version of the shirt? Is he waiting for this project to end? If so, does anyone have an idea when that will be?
  • Mr WhiteMr White Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    It's definitely still on as of the last conversation I had with Magnoli.