Tributes Thread

1105106107108109111»

Comments

• GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 2,940MI6 Agent

George Segal was one of those great, underrated actors who could do both drama and comedy quite skillfully. Unfortunately, I think he had a rough time being selective in his movies as he does have a lot of stinkers out there.

If you haven't seen it and want to see a wild movie, watch WHERE'S POPPA? with Segal and Ruth Gordon. Directed by Carl Reiner, it's definitely out there. Very funny but kinda bizarre.

Current rankings:
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
    TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 9,027MI6 Agent

We were discussing Quiller on the Last Film thread, weren't we? It never occurred to me to think whether he was still alive. One film of his I love is Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf with Burton and Taylor - only that film for some reason is simply never shown on telly any more.

Wasn't he in A Touch of Class with Glenda Jackson? Again, never shown, but a goodie if I recall.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

I have just looked up Dick Van Dyke to check if he's still alive. Born 1925... that's it. So he is!

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,251MI6 Agent

Dead Barbra co stars : Richardson , Segal , Sharif , Sarrazin

• PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,090MI6 Agent

Very sorry to hear about George Segal's passing, he was a member of the cast of the tv sitcom The Goldbergs (one of my current favorite tv shows) and always stole every scene he was in as the grandfather of Adam Goldberg.

• Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 615MI6 Agent

R.I.P. Prince Philip

What makes you think this is my first time?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 17,544MI6 Agent

In memory of Prince Philip.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 1,735MI6 Agent

RIP HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 7,579MI6 Agent
    edited April 9

Sad to hear of the death of Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh. 99 is a great age but I was hoping he'd make it to the big milestone of 100 later this year. What a life of massive public service well lived to the fullest extent.

Prince Philip was an Ian Fleming Bond fan too which is confirmed in O.F. Snelling's Double O Seven James Bond: A Report (1964):

"One sees in the gossip columns that the Duke of Edinburgh reads Fleming avidly." (p. 183 of the Panther Books paperback edition, 1965).

Perhaps more surprisingly the Duke was also a subscriber to the long-running British journal the Flying Saucer Review since its inception in the 1950s:

http://www.fsr.org.uk

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,237MI6 Agent

RIP Prince Philip.

The Duke of Edinburgh's passing has given pause to reflect on aspects of his life and service often forgotten, including details about his active service in WW2 and the ways in which, in previous decades, he was a Royal Family moderniser.

According to many who knew Prince Philip, the private and personal support he gave to the Queen as her consort, and to his family as a whole, was often understimated and may never be fully appreciated. This being so, he should be celebrated, despite his occasionally mis-firing one-liners, as a one-time naval hero whose life was truly lived On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 50 years.
  • Unknown007Unknown007 Posts: 141MI6 Agent

Would it be correct to say that in a way Prince Philip - Duke of Edinburgh was very similar to James Bond? A Royal Navy Commander Suave Debonaire and as we've seen in the tributes over the Weekend a little handsome too.

R.I,P. Prince Philip - Duke of Edinburgh.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 25,131Chief of Staff
    YNWA 96

Remembering the 96🙏

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,018MI6 Agent

Really sad and unexpected news here, Helen McCrory of Peaky Blinders and Skyfall has died at the young age of 52 - RIP.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 25,131Chief of Staff

Shocked to hear of the death of Helen McCrory at only 52 😢

She was excellent in Peaky Blinders and was always extremely watchable…thought she was great as Clair Dower in Skyfall

RIP 🍸

YNWA 96

She always came across as a genuinely nice person during interviews. Loved her appearance in Skyfall. Terrific actress. Beautiful woman. My heart goes out to Damian and her family. RIP

Not a major role in Skyfall - I understand an early draft dealt with M's dodgy past life as a younger woman - in that her past came back to haunt her - and McCrory was down to play the younger Dench. Not getting that, she got the prim minister.

She was very very good in an early role as Cherie Blair in The Queen - written by the guy who came up with the 'M dying' suggestion for Skyfall.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 2,940MI6 Agent

She was a great actress with real presence to her. I liked her in everything that I saw her in, but she really excelled in PEAKY BLINDERS. 52 is too young.

Current rankings:
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
    TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,748Chief of Staff

Helen McCrory was a fantastic performer and far, far too young to die. RIP.

Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,039MI6 Agent

She also had a memorable role in Penny Dreadful with Tim Dalton and Eva Green. May she RIP.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,091MI6 Agent

She would have been a great young Dench.

I’m glad she got her star turn in Peaky Blinders.