Tributes Thread

Comments

• AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    The Vampire Lovers, Countess Dracula, The House That Dripped Blood, Doctor Who ...

RIP, Ingrid Pitt. Your image will never fade.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Leslie Nielsen has died at 84. In the last 30 years he's been best known as a comic actor, but he started out as a dramatic performer. Who says there are no second acts? Godspeed, sir!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • mrbain007mrbain007 Posts: 393MI6 Agent
    I once had the opportunity of meeting Leslie Nielsen during a UK tour he was doing. Very nice man. I'll remember him best from Airplane and Naked Gun - loved those movies while I was growing up. They never failed to put a smile on my face, even after 100 or so viewings.

However he also did plenty of serious roles including The Forbidden Planet and The Posiedon Adventure.

RIP, thanks for the laughs :))

RIP
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    I've only seen him in four movies. Man could he make me laugh. Rest in peace sir. Airplane is one of my all time favorite movies.

Rumack: Can you fly this plane, and land it?
    Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.
    Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Rumack: You'd better tell the Captain we've got to land as soon as we can. This woman has to be gotten to a hospital.
    Elaine Dickinson: A hospital? What is it?
    Rumack: It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.
    :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Very sad news.

He scared the heck out of me in Creepshow, you can be sure nobody was laughing during that role. I thought he was brillant in the first Naked Gun and solid as a rock in Forbidden Planet.

RIP
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Sad news indeed about Leslie Nielsen...but he left us a great legacy of fun films!
    And I just read that Irvin Kershner, director of Never Say Never Again, and, more significantly, The Empire Strikes Back, has died at 87. Another light dimmed.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    So sad to hear about Leslie Nielsen. I've always been a fan,sad news.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Ricardo C.Ricardo C. Posts: 916MI6 Agent
    So sad to hear about Leslie Nielsen. I've always been a fan,sad news.

Airplane, Police Squad, and The Naked Gun films changed the shape of comedy forever. Sad to see him go.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Leslie Nielsen. Can't even think of him without smiling---or laughing outright. Remarkable career. "Win one for the Zipper!" He WILL be missed. Rest in peace.

And RIP Irvin Kershner as well. A talented filmmaker.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,230MI6 Agent
    RIP to Irvin Kershner, one of the best directors ever, he somehow managed to make even poorly scripted films like Never Say Never Again and Robocop 2 work to an extent.
    edited November 2010
    PPK 7.65mm wrote:
    RIP to Irvin Kershner, one of the best directors ever, he somehow managed to make even poorly scripted films like Never Say Never Again and Robocop 2 work to an extent.

Besides the gun-toting, drug dealing kid I thought Robocop 2 was a hell of a fun ride. The stuff about turning Robocop into a postive role model for kids was just enough to watch the film alone. :))
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    edited December 2010
    _44286597_lennon13.jpg

It was 30 years ago today...

Here's a terrific youtube link of a very little-known Lennon song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J6HXbUXbSA
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I just found out Blake Edwards died.
    Ricardo C. wrote:

Very sad--he really did some great movies. Today we also lost Bob Feller, a great baseball pitcher from a bygone era.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Ricardo C. wrote:

Very sad news; a hugely talented and important director. The Great Race is probably my favourite of his...and of course the first four Pink Panthers and '10' rank highly for me...but he did many great films.

A classic light has gone out in Tinseltown :( Rest in peace.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Ricardo C. wrote:

Very sad--he really did some great movies. Today we also lost Bob Feller, a great baseball pitcher from a bygone era.

Yup. He was one of the last people alive to have faced Lou Gehrig.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Ricardo C. wrote:

Yup. He was one of the last people alive to have faced Lou Gehrig.

Bob Feller has a mention in my book---there's a radio report saying that Feller had joined the Navy in the days following Pearl Harbor, which I took from a newspaper headline from December 9th, 1941.

Rest in peace to an American hero and a baseball great!
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Saddened to hear about Blake Edwards. Also Jean Rollin, director of countless movies about lesbian vampires and such like passed away recently as well. 2010 has been a sad year for movie lovers. :(
    That bloke from Boney M has died, aged 63.

Many laughs from his performance, in particular for the TOTP performance of Rasputin. Great stuff, though I don't think he actually sang on the records, it was a Milli Vanilli situation.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    ...actually, it was the same guy, who sang!

Boney M and Milli Vanilli followed the same formula:

The producer Frank Farian composed, produced and sang the male voice and the guys did only perform or what they called it.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    Pete Postlethwaite, the man Spielberg described as "probably the best actor in the world" has died of cancer aged 64.
    He was known for his roles in The Usual Suspects, In the Name of the Father, Jurassic Park 2, Dragonheart, and most recently, Inception.
    He will be sorely missed.
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung
    Aw, man. . .Postlethwaite was an actor who highlighted everything he was in. What a loss! :#
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Aw, man. . .Postlethwaite was an actor who highlighted everything he was in. What a loss! :#

This is terrible news...I'm like you, Hardy. I always enjoyed him. One of the great character actors of his time. Rest in peace :(
    Anne Francis, a lovely and gifted actress. Farewell Honey West and Altaira. Loved that TZ episode.
    Her and Leslie Nielson... it's the curse of Forbidden Planet. Watch out Robbo the Robot! :#

Gerry Rafferty of Baker Street fame has died, early 60s. Not really unexpected, a long-term alcoholic and he even went missing for six months. Mourning tempered by the fact the sax player claims he never got a royalty for creating that sax signature... It's a great song, best version imo is the slightly speeded up one now found only on the Good Will Hunting LP, that's the one we enjoyed as a single in the UK, 1978. It sounds like the sort of song the Beatles might have done if you blended Lennon and McCartney's vocal styles. It - perhaps not ironically - has that Abbey Road vibe.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    A personal tribute for me.

My Uncle passed away today, on his 70th Birthday.

I was very fond of him, and his loss will be keenly felt.

I don't often buy expensive bottles of red, but tonight, I think I will make an exception.

I will raise my glass in his honour.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    I'm so sorry for your loss, Lexi :( the loss of a close loved one is always hard.

cheers to his memory -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    Bullitt/For Petes Sake director RIP
    Lexi wrote:
    A personal tribute for me.

My Uncle passed away today, on his 70th Birthday.

I was very fond of him, and his loss will be keenly felt.

I don't often buy expensive bottles of red, but tonight, I think I will make an exception.

I will raise my glass in his honour.

My condolences, Lex.