Tributes Thread

Comments

• AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    My thoughts are with you Jarvio. I'm sure your father would've been proud. Losing a dad is very hard.

All the best.
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    RIP Jarvios dad.......

My father died Dec 1st , I don't really feel sad as we never had any contact , he never called me or wrote......also he had kinda mental issues due to being POW in Bosnia.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the additional support people.

I'm going through a number of emotions right now, such as guilt for not being able to see him before he went, but at the same time content because I was told that he knew I had exams at uni, and so understood why I couldn't be there for that reason.

Now I just plain miss him. I think I'm slowly getting better however. It's still all sinking in really, and the fact that he's gone can be difficult for me to comprehend at times.

I've never been through this before, never lost someone this close. It's strange. I guess I'll learn from it.

Sorry for your news too, Grindelwald. My condolences
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Jarvio, I am so sorry for your loss - and during your exams as well - not having been able to see your Father before he passed, must add to your grief.

My thoughts are with you.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    RIP Jarvios dad.......

My father died Dec 1st , I don't really feel sad as we never had any contact , he never called me or wrote......also he had kinda mental issues due to being POW in Bosnia.

Sorry about your Dad. I was peacekeeping out in Bosnia, that was a really indescribable place. I saw the aftermath of things so utterly inhuman that I don't think I'll ever get over it. Being a pow out there would have been worse than hell. His head would never have right after that.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    Just heard about Jimmy Dean.

RIP.

http://www.ppc-news.com/jimmy-dean-dies/85951/
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    I just heard too :(

RIP Jimmy Dean :x
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Jimmy Dean, country singer, sausage-maker, and the man who played Willard Whyte in Diamonds Are Forever, has passed on at the age of 81. RIP.

Always liked and enjoyed Jimmy Dean. As the folksy Howard Hughes-type tycoon in DAF, he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, but it worked within the context of the production. Seemed like a genuinely nice fellow, and "Big Bad John" is a country music staple. Good sausage too.

Rest in peace.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I've never had the opportunity to sample Jimmy Dean sausage, but I must say I have always enjoyed his role in DAF, and 'Big Bad John' is an all-time favourite of mine... Rest in Peace Jimmy Dean.
    Actually what I meant is that I DID feel sad , even though he never contacted me........he prolly thought of it but it never happened.

Jeanie Sims (script writer OHMSS) RIP.......met her at Pinewood 5 yrs ago :(
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/4757-ALAN-HUME,-ACCLAIMED-JAMES-BOND-AND-STAR-WARS-DIRECTOR-OF-PHOTOGRAPHY,-DEAD-AT-85.html

ALAN HUME, ACCLAIMED JAMES BOND AND STAR WARS DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY, DEAD AT 85

Alan Hume, one of the most accomplished directors of photography has died aged 85. A veteran of over 100 films, Alan Hume began his career as a clapper boy on David Lean's In Which We Serve, Great Expectations and Oliver Twist. He progressed up the ranks to focus puller by his third film with Lean. When Our Girl Friday (starring a young Joan Collins) came along in 1953, Hume was promoted to camera operator and shot 27 more films as camera operator in 7 years. He gained a reputation for being fast, efficient and a brilliant photographer - which deeply impressed Carry On producer Peter Rogers, who put Hume under contract and offered him the chance to become a director of photography in 1960 on No Kidding. Over the next forty years, Hume lit over 150 films and TV shows.Among his credits were fifteen Carry On films, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, Stepping Out, Shirley Valentine, A Fish Called Wanda, The Land That Time Forgot, Shout At The Devil and TV shows The Avengers, Space Precinct and Acapulco HEAT. James Bond producer Albert R. Broccoli was so impressed by Hume's work that he hired him for four 007 blockbusters: The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy and A View to a Kill.

"Alan Hume was regarded as a true gentleman within his chosen industry. As a friend and supporter of Cinema Retro, we mourn his loss."- Dave Worrall and Lee Pfeiffer

**************************************************************************************************

A bundle of output here which left a rather large impression my first viewing. Rest in peace sir ....
    Alex wrote:
    http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/4757-ALAN-HUME,-ACCLAIMED-JAMES-BOND-AND-STAR-WARS-DIRECTOR-OF-PHOTOGRAPHY,-DEAD-AT-85.html

ALAN HUME, ACCLAIMED JAMES BOND AND STAR WARS DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY, DEAD AT 85

Alan Hume, one of the most accomplished directors of photography has died aged 85. A veteran of over 100 films, Alan Hume began his career as a clapper boy on David Lean's In Which We Serve, Great Expectations and Oliver Twist. He progressed up the ranks to focus puller by his third film with Lean. When Our Girl Friday (starring a young Joan Collins) came along in 1953, Hume was promoted to camera operator and shot 27 more films as camera operator in 7 years. He gained a reputation for being fast, efficient and a brilliant photographer - which deeply impressed Carry On producer Peter Rogers, who put Hume under contract and offered him the chance to become a director of photography in 1960 on No Kidding. Over the next forty years, Hume lit over 150 films and TV shows.Among his credits were fifteen Carry On films, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, Stepping Out, Shirley Valentine, A Fish Called Wanda, The Land That Time Forgot, Shout At The Devil and TV shows The Avengers, Space Precinct and Acapulco HEAT. James Bond producer Albert R. Broccoli was so impressed by Hume's work that he hired him for four 007 blockbusters: The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy and A View to a Kill.

"Alan Hume was regarded as a true gentleman within his chosen industry. As a friend and supporter of Cinema Retro, we mourn his loss."- Dave Worrall and Lee Pfeiffer

**************************************************************************************************

A bundle of output here which left a rather large impression my first viewing. Rest in peace sir ....

God Bless, and rest in peace. What a career.

In a completely different vein...George Steinbrenner, owner of the New York Yankees American League baseball team, has died suddenly of a heart attack, aged 80. He was convinced that he could buy a World Series Championship team if he spent enough money...and many times, he was exactly right. Rest in peace---although the afterlife is likely to be less peaceful from here on...
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    Tom Mankiewicz, screenwriter of several James Bond films as well as the classic Richard Donner Superman movie has passed away. He was 68. More info at the link below. R.I.P.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100802/ap_en_mo/us_obit_mankiewicz
    TonyDP wrote:
    Tom Mankiewicz, screenwriter of several James Bond films as well as the classic Richard Donner Superman movie has passed away. He was 68. More info at the link below. R.I.P.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100802/ap_en_mo/us_obit_mankiewicz

Sad to hear it; I enjoyed his stuff. Rest in peace.
    What a shame--I listened to Tom Mankiewicz's commentary on the Richard Donner take of Superman II, and it was incredible: witty and knowledgeable. Also, as much as I tend to bash Live and Let Die, I think TM's wit was a real highlight in the series. RIP.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Sad news about Tom Mankiewicz...My wife and I had watched the first couple of seasons of Hart to Hart and I could almost pick out the parts that were the result of his creativity. While not the greatest film, I never connected the dots that he had directed Dragnet. Might be worth revisiting, just for the sake of memories.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    RIP Tom Mankiewicz. I'm extremely fond of his work on LALD and Hart to Hart was the kind of lovely nonsense you just don't get anymore. Rest now, and forever hold your piece.
    Patricia Neal, great actress, heroic stroke survivor, and onetime wife of YOLT screenwriter Roald Dahl, has passed away at 84. RIP.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118022852.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

He-Mans nemesis Hordak.......RIP

Also 30th anniversary Dorothy Stratten , one of the most gruesome murders in Hollywood.
    Arthur Penn, director of a true classic--Bonnie and Clyde--has died at 88. RIP.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/30/movies/30penn.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Ricardo C.Ricardo C. Posts: 916MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:

I never was a huge B&C fan but I did enjot Night Moves. RIP.
    Hardyboy wrote:

A seminal classic, indeed---and a film that influenced me a great deal. Rest in peace.
    Greg Giraldo, a stand up comic has passed away at 44 from an overdose. So sad. enjoyed his comedy immensely. RIP
    GregGiraldo1.jpg

Pendragon wrote:
    Greg Giraldo, a stand up comic has passed away at 44 from an overdose. So sad. enjoyed his comedy immensely. RIP

Wow--this guy was a staple on Comedy Central. Quite a shock!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Pendragon wrote:

I refused to believe it when the news popped up on my MSN. quite a shock indeed. He and his dry wit will be missed.

• Ricardo C.Ricardo C. Posts: 916MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Pendragon wrote:

What shocks me is that this isn't Artie Lange we are talking about.
    Giant Gonzalez 44 (diabetes......he was also tall as hell and thus in wheel chair last few yrs)
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Tv show creator legend Stephen J. Cannell has passed away. He gave the tv viewing public The Rockford Files, 21 Jump Street and TENSPEED & BROWNSHOE (my favorite of the lot) among other great creations like the A-TEAM. RIP :(

http://www.theinsider.com/news/3368118__A_Team_21_Jump_Street_Producer_Stephen_J._Cannell_Passes_Away
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Tv show creator legend Stephen J. Cannell has passed away. He gave the tv viewing public The Rockford Files, 21 Jump Street and TENSPEED & BROWNSHOE (my favorite of the lot) among other great creations like the A-TEAM. RIP :(

http://www.theinsider.com/news/3368118__A_Team_21_Jump_Street_Producer_Stephen_J._Cannell_Passes_Away

A real force in the television business---and also a great novelist in his later years B-) I'm glad he got to see The A Team0 hit the big screen...Rest In Peace :(