Tributes Thread

Comments

• GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    Feb 2nd , 1995......the day we lost Blofeld #1 :(
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    British comedy star Ian Carmichael has died aged 89.

article-1248981-082D5599000005DC-632_468x413.jpg

He's seen above in School for Scoundrels, a classic comedy with Alistair Sim and Terry-Thomas. What is also amazing about this movie is that the actress who plays April (seen in the pic above) is the daughter of Lancashire battleaxe Thora Hird...

Carmichael also used his silly ass persona to great effect in I'm Alright Jack and Privates Progress, as well as Bertie Wooster in some Jeeves adaptations. He was also opposite Arthur Lowe as Charters and Cauldicott in the remake of The Lady Vanishes.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    I've just found out on msn that Dick Francis has died :(

I was an avid reader of his books - they were easy to read, and incredibly popular. Most of his stories were based on the horse racing world - and always involved some mysterious murder....of which the protagonist would cleverly solve.

Saw me through many a dull 'prep' time at school.

He's to a peaceful rest -{
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Another fine mystery writer gone... :( Rest in peace.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Roger Moore 1927-2017

I didn't even know he was sick! :o
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff

And how bad is our health care system? It took us 3,000 years after the kid's death to diagnose his illness!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:

And how bad is our health care system? It took us 3,000 years after the kid's death to diagnose his illness!

That's it. I'm moving to Cuba.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:

That's it. I'm moving to Cuba.

Has anyone told his Mummy? As pharoah's I know, she'll be devastated.
  • Rainier WolfcastleRainier Wolfcastle Posts: 484MI6 Agent
    British actor Lionel Jeffries died yesterday at the age of 83. I have not seen much else of him but will always remember him as Caractacus Potts' father in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (although he was half a year younger than "son" Dick van Dyke).

"Port out, starboard home, posh with a capital P-O-S-H
    P-O-S-H, P-O-S-H ...
    Posh!"

Time to view Chitty again ...
    I've seen Jeffries in a few things--Camelot, Royal Flash, the list goes on. A very reliable character actor who will be much missed.

Also of note is the death of former Secretary of State Alexander Haig at 85. I was in high school when Reagan was shot, and Haig became something of a national punchline when he declared, "I'm in charge here!"

Man, I feel old. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Don't feel too bad Hardyboy, I was well beyond high school when Reagan was shot. Sad to hear about Lionel Jeffries, wonderful actor who was underappreciated in his time!!!

If "moxie" can get you through the "pearly gates" then Haig should sail through without a ripple!
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I love Lionel Jeffries as the absent minded, yet extremely lovable Dr. Cavor in the 60s adaption of Wells' First Men in the Moon. I'd even quote him frequently. "Imperial, absolutely Imperial!"

Rest in peace to a great character actor.
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I've seen Jeffries in a few things--Camelot, Royal Flash, the list goes on. A very reliable character actor who will be much missed.

Also of note is the death of former Secretary of State Alexander Haig at 85. I was in high school when Reagan was shot, and Haig became something of a national punchline when he declared, "I'm in charge here!"

Man, I feel old. . .

I was in Spain when Reagan was shot...and the base went on high alert.

Rest in peace to both these guys...different ends of the spectrum -{
    Not to mention that Mr Jeffries directed The Railway Children, though methinks this may not be a US staple.

railway-pic.jpg

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    And I loved his Grandpa Potts on Chitty, chitty bang bang - even though he was only a few years older than Dick Van Dyke - very sad indeed.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    RIP Lionel Jeffries. The Railway Children gets me every time. :'( (Tried to insert the crying smilie but it does not appear to be working).
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    And I loved his Grandpa Potts on Chitty, chitty bang bang - even though he was only a few years older than Dick Van Dyke - very sad indeed.

From what I've read in the press recently, he was actually 6 months younger than DvD.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    edited March 2010
    Robert McCall passed away on Friday. Mr. McCall was a renowned artist who spent his career envisioning the future for NASA and Hollywood. His association with space exploration began at the dawn of the U.S. space program, and since then his work has graced U.S. postage stamps, NASA mission patches and even the walls of the Smithsonian. He also did conceptual work for numerous classic sci-fi movies including 2001: A Space Odyssey and Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Even if you don't know his name, chances are you've seen some of his work...

3812700807_f83ca4a1ff.jpg

003.jpg

You can see more of his incredible work at his website: http://www.mccallstudios.com/
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Hey Tony! What's that last image? Original storyboard art from the fake moon landing film?
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    Hey Tony! What's that last image? Original storyboard art from the fake moon landing film?

Actually, that's one of McCall's more famous paintings entitled "First Men on the Moon". The original was a 7' x 9' oil painting done in 1971 and commemorated Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin's lunar landing and moon walk.
    One Foot in the grave... :(

Michael_Foot.jpg

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    RIP Michael Foot. This bunch we've got now aren't fit to button up his duffel coat.
    96 though.... you got to give it to the guy!

An Iconic figure from my childhood.... I guess I'm at that age now :(
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    Hello chaps, it's been a while. Hope you're all well.

Just dropped by to report the sad news that we've lost Martin Benson, who played Mr Solo in Goldfinger, today. He was 92.

http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstory.php/27418/actor-martin-benson-dies
    Just dropped by to report the sad news that we've lost Martin Benson, who played Mr Solo in Goldfinger, today. He was 92.

I thought he'd died ages ago. Well, it was a good, long life and a fine career.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I believe he also played a Vogon in the old Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy BBC series...I think.

RIP
    Very sorry to hear it. Ninety-two's a pretty good ride, though---good for him. Hope the quality of life was there. Rest in peace.
    "Well, if you've got to go, you've got to go..."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Who does he think he is, Sebastian Foucan?

Racing driver Stirling Moss, 80, has fallen down a lift shaft from three floors up. Don't worry, he's 'only' broken two ankles and no internal injuries.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/08032010/58/stirling-moss-falls-lift-shaft.html

Roger Moore 1927-2017