Tributes Thread

Comments

• JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I just read about Lena Horne--it was impossible to not love her. And my respects to the man who gave us Modesty--and Willie Garvin!

May I ask what's happened to Willie Garvin? Have I missed something?

Maybe my wording was bad. . .Patrick O'Donnell gave us Modesty Blaise and the character Willie Garvin; nothing happened to our AJB friend. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Oh right I see, no worries!
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    5 yrs since Riddler died , Frank Gorshin is missed -{ :(
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    Alex wrote:

Very sad news; a great rock voice. I got the chance to see him once at Compton Terrace out in Tempe, Arizona, in 1983---he opened for Aerosmith. Very memorable show; his latest album was "Holy Diver"...as he took the stage a big electrical storm was happening in the distance behind him---the kind of lightning that only happens out in the desert...very cool B-)

He did great work with Rainbow and Sabbath, and of course solo. Rest In Peace.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Actor Gary Coleman has died at the age of 42.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/obit/2010-05-28-gary-coleman_N.htm
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Mr Martini wrote:

:o I was only just reading today, at lunch, that he was in hospital....

and now he'd died - very sad.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Sad to hear about Gary Coleman. I never really watched his show, back when it was on---it was kind of the background noise to my teenage years---but I always felt a bit sorry for the way everything turned out for him. Rest in peace.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Sad to hear about Gary Coleman. I never really watched his show, back when it was on---it was kind of the background noise to my teenage years---but I always felt a bit sorry for the way everything turned out for him. Rest in peace.

Agreed. Actually, I did watch the show back when it was on, but I think that's because I had a thing for the tragic Dana Plato. Gary Coleman had pretty much become a punchline and give him credit for frequently laughing at himself; but it's easy to forget that his life was a hard one--before and after he became famous.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Besides the show I remember a film about the dangers of pyromania. Coleman played a kid who underwent a transformation from naive innocent to fullblown arsonist. I think it was one of those morale movies made for tv like the anti drug episode with Nancy Reagan on Strokes.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,609Chief of Staff
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Actually, I did watch the show back when it was on, but I think that's because I had a thing for the tragic Dana Plato.

Same reason here too ;% :))

It was quite a funny show back then and most people 'of a certain age' can quote his catchphrase.
    It sounds as though he had a tough time of it after the show ended...
    YNWA 97
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    RIP Dennis Hopper.
    RIP Dennis Hopper.

First I heard of this, though it was expected. A quirky and talented film and TV presence is gone.

And here's a news release:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37414779/ns/today-entertainment/
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    This is a tough one, though as Hardy says everyone knew it was looming. A unique individual with a distinctive light behind the eyes. David Letterman once called him the Elder Statesman of Sensory Derangement*...but I'm sure he'd rather be remembered as an actor, director, writer and artist. I never failed to enjoy his stuff. Rest in peace.

* Personally, I think Hunter S. Thompson is more deserving of this moniker...
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    geeze...not Dennis Hopper too... :#

if the stupid trend of threes is still in effect, we've got one more too lose... :#
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
    Pendragon wrote:
    ...if the stupid trend of threes is still in effect, we've got one more too lose...:#

Too bad a wish list can't be submitted :(
    Loved Dennis Hopper. My favorite character is the unbalanced fugitive from River's Edge.

I know he's most remembered for Easy Rider but much prefer the early westerns. Small roles which he made extremely memorable. Shot onscreen by Duke Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Burt Lancaster, etc. Rip to a unique talent.
    Pendragon wrote:

if the stupid trend of threes is still in effect, we've got one more too lose... :#

Would Art Linkletter be the first? Gary Coleman Second and Dennis Hopper the third?
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Pendragon wrote:

Would Art Linkletter be the first? Gary Coleman Second and Dennis Hopper the third?

this is true...

A big thank you to all our veterans and current service members on this, memorial day 2010! :x :x :x

Rest in peace Rue McClanahan ... Thank you for being a friend.
    Alex wrote:
    Rest in peace Rue McClanahan ... Thank you for being a friend.

Very good comic actress...she had many fine moments. RIP
    R.I.P. Rue.

It's sad, one Golden Girl has passed away each year since '08

Estelle Getty 2008
    Bea Arthur 2009
    Rue McClanahan 2010

If there's a god, please leave Betty White alone.
    What's really ironic is that Betty White was actually the oldest of the four actresses (though only a few months older than Bea Arthur), but she's still around and even enjoying a kind of career renaissance. I would imagine when she goes it will be in the knowledge she had a long, good life. May that be so for all of us!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    I would like to post a tribute to my father, who passed away this morning.

Naturally I am distraught. I thank any support in advance
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

Mr Martini wrote:
    If there's a god, please leave Betty White alone.

SECONDED :#

Jarvio wrote:

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Jarvio... :( *big hug*

Jarvio wrote:

Sorry to hear this, Jarvio. Losing a parent is always tough, which I know from experience. You have my best.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:

Jarvio,
    My condolences on your loss; my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,609Chief of Staff
    Jarvio - I'm sorry for your loss, my deepest condolences.
    YNWA 97
    Thanks for the support everyone. Gonna be very hard for a while, but hopefully things will improve in time.

On the up-side, I finally finished my degree today. Just gotta wait for results and graduation and then I'll have a degree.

I'm sure my father would have wanted me to do well.

Again thanks everyone. Obviously feeling very down at the moment, hopefully time will heal.

Sorry for your loss Jarvio.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you during this most difficult of times, Jarv.