Tributes Thread

Comments

• PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    I wish my grandfathers were still alive so I could have called them and wished them a happy veteran's day.

{[] cheers, vets and those serving presently :x
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,317Chief of Staff
    Edward Woodward (1930-2009)

(Callan, The Equalizer, The Wicker Man)

Sadly missed.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Awwww. . .I was a huge fan of Edward Woodward, and I always thought he'd have made a great M. Rest in peace, sir.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    "Am I not young and fair?"

1035t.jpg
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    The Wicker Man was superb, however another film of his that was almost as good was Breaker Morant. :D RIP -{
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    RIP Mr. Woodward. The Equalizer was 'must watch' for my dad; we always watched it together. I always saw the Equalizer as a retirement-age Bond B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,568Chief of Staff
    I'd like to add my condolences to Mr Woodwards family.

I can still remember watching The Equalizer when I was younger - a fine series.

RIP -{
    YNWA 97
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    I was also very saddened to read about Edward Woodward's passing. I first heard about him via The Equalizer and then went on to discover much more of his vast body of work including The Wicker Man and a surprisingly memorable performace as the ghost of Christmas present in the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol. Like HB, I always thought he would have made an excellent M.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Sad news indeed. RIP Edward Woodward.
  • Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
    RIP Wiseman and Woodward. :(

91 is a better innings than most and Joseph Wiseman's wife had died earlier on this year, pushing the poor man over the edge.

I never heard about The Equalizer, but I know about Ed Woodward as the pompous, clueless cop from The Wikerman and a nutty member of Sandford's Neighbourhood Watch Alliance from Hot Fuzz. He died at the ripe, but slightly disappointing age of 79.
    'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'
  • The Sly FoxThe Sly Fox USAPosts: 467MI6 Agent
    Edward Woodward was a brilliant actor, singer, and an excellent performer all around. I know him best from The Equalizer, one of the best TV shows from the '80s, as well as being my favorite TV show of all time. I can't believe he's gone...

Edward-Woodward-in-The-Eq-001.jpg

Farewell, Mr. Woodward, you will be sorely missed. :(
    Richard Todd, of The Dambusters, has died aged 90.

17175-4293.gif

He also starred in The Longest Day, of particular resonance as he reenacted the role he took in the actual D-Day landings some 20 years earlier; the taking of Pegasus bridge after using gliders to land in the area. So he knew what he was doing.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Sadly, the great Gene Barry, Bat Masterson himself, has passed away.

To classic sci-fi fans, he will be remembered for the role of Dr. Clayton Forrester in George Pal's adaption of H.G. Wells' The War Of The Worlds.

-{
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Actress Brittany Murphy passed away today at the very young age of 32. Early reports cited cardiac arrest as cause of death. Too young, R.I.P.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=448013&GT1=28101
    Actress Brittany Murphy

Very sad to hear this. Though I was not a huge follower, or fan of her films, I always thought she had that 'something.' I'm sure more information will be forthcoming. Rest in peace.
    Actress Brittany Murphy passed away today at the very young age of 32. Early reports cited cardiac arrest as cause of death. Too young, R.I.P.
    She was indeed far too young. :( I think she was a very talented actress who had a lot of potential. To die at such a young age, however for anyone, is horrible. RIP -{
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Aw Hell. Just found out about this. Brittany Murphy excelled at playing fragile young women and you always felt there was a lot of her in the parts she played. Rest in Peace.
    edited December 2009
    Abdurrahman Wahid, also known as Gus Dur, died on Wednesday at the age of 69. :( Indonesia's fourth president, and first elected president, he was also a former president of the Nahdlatul Ulama; one of the world's largest, if not largest, moderate Islamic groups. Wahid was an extraordinary man who was heavily involved in interfaith work, and in fact, received a peace prize from Israel. As well as being a Islamic scholar held in high regard, he was revered for his work in furthering peace and religious tolerance. In one of my fondest memories, I attended a talk by him a few years ago, and at the end of it, I shook his hand. :D Truthfully, he wouldn't have noticed me since he was half-blind, and unwell. Still to shake the hands of this magnificent man was brilliant. :D

Anyway, I'll just end by saying that Gus Dur; a man who fought for religious and ethnic tolerance as well defending the honour of his beautiful religion, will be forever missed. RIP -{

Indonesia pays tribute to president Wahid, dead at 69

Indonesia prepared Thursday to bury enigmatic former president Abdurrahman Wahid, a devout Muslim scholar who courted ties with Israel and staunchly defended the country's pluralist traditions.

Flags were flying at half mast as a sign of respect for the frail but pugnacious Wahid, who died in hospital on Wednesday evening aged 69 due to complications arising from diabetes and stroke.

Popularly known as Gus Dur, he was practically blind and in later years used a wheelchair, but remained active in public life until the end.

He was Indonesia's fourth president, coming to power in 1999 after the country's first general elections following the fall of military strongman Suharto in 1998.

In a nationally-televised address, President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono called on Indonesians to pay Wahid their "highest respects".

"I say this with prayers and hope that he is accepted at the side of God for his enormous service to the public, the nation and our beloved state," he said.

Wahid is expected to be buried around midday in a family graveyard at his birthplace in Jombang, East Java, in a ceremony to be presided over by Yudhoyono.

His younger brother, Salahuddin Wahid, told AFP the family was "shocked, sad and grieving".

"He was humorous, happy, clever, brave and really cared about the community. He was full of life and his fighting spirit was strong. Even when he was sick, he would fight on," he said.

Wahid rose to political prominence through his role as a leader of one of the country's biggest mass Islamic movements, the moderate Nahdlatul Ulama (NU), having been a critic of Suharto during the general's three-decade rule.

He defeated Megawati Sukarnoputri to scoop the presidency in a parliamentary vote, even though her Democratic Party of Struggle put in the strongest showing in a general election earlier in 1999.

His time in government was an exciting period of democratic change under the country's post-Suharto "Reformasi" drive, and Wahid was an enthusiastic advocate of ethnic and religious tolerance.

But there were also fears the unwieldy, Muslim-majority archipelago of 234 million people would crumble under the weight of separatist and sectarian conflicts in places such as Aceh, Papua and the Malukus.

Violent Islamic extremism reared its head with the coordinated Christmas-eve bombings of churches in Jakarta and other cities in 2000, which killed 18 people and were blamed on regional terror network Jemaah Islamiyah.

Wahid's response was to crack down on Islamist extremists while seeking dialogue and conciliation with ethnic separatists, the latter strategy putting him at odds both with the military and the Jakarta elite.

He also broke a taboo in Indonesian politics by calling for diplomatic relations with Israel, and backed the lifting of a Cold War-era ban on communism.

It was the liberal and democratic ideas that had earned him international respect that ironically were often at the core of the steady growth of domestic opposition to his leadership.

A moderate religious scholar, Wahid was also criticised in office for his erratic leadership style and was sacked by the national assembly in 2001 amid unproven allegations of corruption and incompetence.

Despite his obvious ailments, Wahid led an active public life and even considered a comeback for the 2009 presidential elections, even if he was often photographed snoozing at conferences and meetings.

NU vice-president Maskuri Abdillah said Wahid would be remembered as a "pluralist" who stood for tolerance in the most populous Muslim-majority country.

"His death is a big loss not just to Nahdlatul Ulama, but also to Indonesians from all races and faiths," he told AFP.
    I just read that the novelist Robert B. Parker died at 77--appropriately enough, at his writing desk. I was a dedicated reader of his "Spenser" novels (basis of the TV series Spenser: For Hire) and always looked forward to the yearly appearance of my favorite Boston P.I. He also wrote the Jesse Stone novels (basis of a series of TV movies starring Tom Selleck) and had a series about a female P.I., Sunni Randall. Welcome to the arms of your forebears, Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett, Mr. Parker.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    RIP Robert B. Parker. What a craftsman.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Let me add my sadness over the passing of Mr. Parker, like Hardy and Loeffs I was a fan of Mr. Parker's work having read many of his novels, my favorite being Looking for Rachel Wallace. RIP
    "She - she seems very proud..."

GreatExpectations6.jpg

Jean Simmons has passed away, aged 80.

Simmons played the young Estella in Great Expectations, who tormented Pip at Miss Haversham's request. Though the older Estella was played by Valerie Hobson, it's the young Estella who makes the most impact in the film (it must be said the two actresses don't look alike).

Simmons possibly made her debut in The Way to the Stars, where she is shown for a few minutes only, singing a spiteful little ditty in a dance hall scenario. John Mills was also in that film, though they never shared a scene in the Dickens classic.

She also went on to be in Great Narcissus, another classic, playing another temptress role.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Jean Simmons was a beautiful lady who exuded sheer class; and my 78-year-old father mentions her as his first movie crush (he felt disappointed that in Great Expectations her character is later played by Valerie Hobson). RIP, great lady of the bygone cinema.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Sad news, I loved Jean Simmons. She was a big time crush for me growing up on Biblical epics such as Kirk's lady in Spartacus and Richard Burton's in The Robe. She also played Patrick Swayze's mother in the North & South miniseries. All three long time favorites.

I'll miss her, think I'll watch Guys and Dolls in her honor.
    Alex wrote:
    Sad news, I loved Jean Simmons.

I too enjoyed her in everything she did...ironically, the boys and I are in the process of watching the complete Star Trek: TNG series in order. About a month ago we saw the episode, entitled "The Drumhead" where Ms Simmons plays an Admiral who court-martials Picard on charges of treason...she could do anything.

One of the few remaining remnants of Hollywood's fading Golden Age :( Rest in peace.
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    they included Joseph Wisemen in the "In Memoriam" segment of the SAG awards tonight. made me tear up. -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    Martin Grace the former stuntman has died suddenly yesterday - very sad and shocking news.

http://www.bondstars.com/martingrace/index.htm
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Catcher In The Rye author J.D. Salinger has passed away at 91.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/0128glsalinger.1ba543a.html
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Catcher In The Rye author J.D. Salinger has passed away at 91.

There was a great Episode of Frasier where they pay a tribute to Salinger's work - a subtle parody of his character - it was aired just a few weeks ago, and I was thinking I really must read Catcher in The Rye again - as it was many, many years ago when I read it.

A real classic.

May he rest in peace -{
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    http://www.theonion.com/content/news/bunch_of_phonies_mourn_j_d

Actually, the Al Quaida attack report made me laugh out loud.

Roger Moore 1927-2017