Tributes Thread

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Dominick Dunne passed away.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32572362/ns/today-today_books/?GT1=43001

I knew him only from Trutv's Power, Privilege, and Justice. Oh well, RIP.

RIP Sir. Wherever his daughter Dominique is, he's with her now.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Senator Ted Kennedy passed away last night at 77.

I'll not repeat many of the swipes I've taken at the late senator in many political essays ;)

It's been said that he watched James Bond films on DVD, with his wife, during his last days. I can respect that.

Rest in peace.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Senator Ted Kennedy passed away last night at 77.
    :( He had his flaws, however he was a magnificent senator who did wonderful things for numerous people. He will forever be remembered. RIP -{
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Over on mi6.co.uk it's saying how Ted Kennedy's last days were spent watching Bond films on DVD.

Now, do you suppose there's a scene in The Spy Who Loved Me that just might have given him the odd twinge? :#
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Rick RobertsRick Roberts Posts: 536MI6 Agent
    Mind if I steal your quote John ? ;)
    John Drake wrote:
    Mary Jo Kopechne, July 26 1940-July 19 1969. RIP.
    This may not mean much to US folk, but Sixties TV presenter Simon Dee has died.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8229429.stm

Most famous now for his fall from grace, where he annoyed a few people and never worked mainstream again. Also had a bit part in Caine's The Italian Job, as a camp tailor.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    9-11-01

Rest in peace.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    9-11-01

Rest in peace.

Amen
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    9-11-01

Rest in peace.

Amen
    May we never forget it.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    It's just been announced that Patrick Swayze lost his battle with pancreatic cancer; he was 57. Regards to his friends and family; this is a hard way to go.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    sad day :( He'll be missed :#
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
    :(

Road House is a classic. His SNL 'Chippendale Dancer Audition' skit with the late Chris Farley reset the bar for that show.

Patrick Swayze will be missed. His was a long, hard and very public battle. May he rest in peace.
    I really liked the Swayze and I often overheard the girls in high school discussing him in '87 during the Dirty Dancing craze. His best known roles might be DD and Ghost but to me he will eternally remain Ori Maine of Mount Royal. North and South was my favorite miniseries back then and I never missed it.

I also loved him in Point Break, he stole that movie.

Rest in peace, Patrick. Hopefully you'll gain some now. Lord knows the parasitic trash tabloids never gave you any when you were fighting this terrible cancer ...
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    Sorry to hear about Patrick. Rest in peace sir!
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited September 2009
    Hardyboy wrote:
    It's just been announced that Patrick Swayze lost his battle with pancreatic cancer; he was 57. Regards to his friends and family; this is a hard way to go.
    :( Dirty Dancing, Road House, Point Break, Ghost; he made some terrific films and was an extremely underrated actor.

The final dance scene in Dirty Dancing is an absolute classic; Road House itself is a macho classic; Ghost is a fantastic romantic ghost film which also serves as a thriller and has a nice sense of humour; while Point Break is among the all-time great action films with Swayze playing a superb villain. He had a fantastic career and will most certainly be missed. RIP -{
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    If you're a guy Patrick Swayze appeared in the greatest movie ever made, Roadhouse. If you're a girl, Swayze appeared in the greatest movie ever made, Dirty Dancing. Feel very old and saddened by Swayze's passing. RIP.
  • TobiasTobias Chelmsford UKPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    If you're a guy Patrick Swayze appeared in the greatest movie ever made, Roadhouse. If you're a girl, Swayze appeared in the greatest movie ever made, Dirty Dancing. Feel very old and saddened by Swayze's passing. RIP.

Next of Kin and Red Dawn are 2 good films
    Not forgetting his small but key role in the cult classic Donnie Darko.

Floyd-On-Rugby-th.jpg

TV chef Keith Floyd has passed away, he of the sweary, forthwright, let's have some vino with this 1980s cooking shows. A shock for anyone in the UK who only last night watched Channel 4's When Keith Met Keith, a doco in which fellow hellraiser Keith Allen met up with his namesake in his French villa and chewed the fat. Great TV, as Floyd was typically upfront but you could cut the atmosphere with a knife when his adult, long estranged daughter showed up, and Floyd betrayed the alcoholic's various personas of sentiment, se;f-pity, honesty and belligerance.

Floyd's biting humour was present as he took us round his villa, soon to be repossesed by his ex-wife, surrounded by little ponds and a charming family of ducks. "Are there any foxes nearby?" asked Allen. "No," replied Floyd. "But I'm gonna get some!"

At the melancholic finale of the documentary, it was revealed that Floyd had bowel cancer but vowed to fight it. In the end it was a heart attack that got him.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    And lets not forget Swayze's role as the eldest in The Outsiders either. We read Hinton's book in english literature and also got to watch the film.
    Felix Bowness who played the retired jockey in UK sitcom Hi-di-Hi has passed away. One for Brits of a certain age methinks...

cast.jpg

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    With all due respect to Patrick Swayze, who was a fine actor and will be missed, Road House is not a "classic." It is a very lame movie, highlighted by the very oh so original "prepare to die" line before the final fight.

Anyway, RIP Patrick.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Dirty Dancing and Ghost are two of my top 10 'chick flic' films. I've seen them many a time, with various friends, at different times in my life - but each time conveying that true love does exist, and even if it's gone in death, it still stays within.

Also Keith Floyd, the first real 'TV chef' that had any personality and flair - and the flamboyant style of 1/2 a bottle of red wine for the pot, and the rest for the chef ;) Can't argue with that.

Two very different characters, from either side of the pond, but still very sad may they both find peace.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Lexi wrote:

Two very different characters, from either side of the pond, but still very sad may they both find peace.

Two very different characters indeed... but that doesn't stop The Sun newspaper from running their slightly contrived tribute... 8-) Headline: a picture of Swayze and Floyd, with "They had the time of their lives". Reminds me of when Mother Teresa died the week of Princess Di and the cartoon and the unlikely pair up in heaven, with Di's arm around the diminutive old woman, with some corny caption like "United in heaven..." :o

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    For UK viewers, Brian Barron has died. Not trying to be trivial, he was the BBC war reporter who had a passing resemblance to Christopher Walken. Read more here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8259005.stm

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited September 2009
    With all due respect to Patrick Swayze, who was a fine actor and will be missed, Road House is not a "classic." It is a very lame movie,

Okay, Barry, if you say so.

Sometimes you're so sunshiny I have to wear shades B-)
    On a more parochial and more trivial note, The London Paper, a freesheet by Murdoch, closes today.

A shame, it had poor layout but better writers than its rival, London Lite.

Why is this a 'temporary' tributes thread? Are any expected to 'rise again'? ?:)

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Former Aberdeen Football player Stevie Gray was found dead at home at the age of 42. Saw him play in the 80's and he had the potential to be a big star, but something went wrong along the way. RIP Stevie.
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    25th anniversary his death :

NH.jpg

I miss him :(

Todays stars could learn a little about being humble......can you even imagine the bat actors turning down autograph request -{:(|):x

Respect !
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    A bit of a personal one for me. Yesterday would have been my grandmother's 99th birthday, but alas she died last year, 6 days before her 98th. However, this weekend we celebrated her life, and scattered her ashes, very near to her house on Cleve Hill in Cheltenham. It was a beautiful day, and finally she can rest overlooking her home of many years.

I miss you, but hope you're finally now with Alec. Be Peaceful -{
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony