Tributes Thread

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    A bit of a shock, Boyzone singer Stephen Gateley has died, only 33. Nothing suspicious exactly, seems he didn't wake up after a night out drinking.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • TobiasTobias Chelmsford UKPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    I read somewhere that he never had a drink or smoked he was only a couple of years younger than me
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    my friend's grandmother passed away today, and I was with her when she found out. she's really torn up and could use the extra good thoughts.

poor kid. :#
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Pendragon wrote:
    my friend's grandmother passed away today, and I was with her when she found out. she's really torn up and could use the extra good thoughts.

poor kid. :#
    I'm sorry to hear that. :(
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    80s wrestling manager Lou Albano died , he managed 15 tag teams & also did several Lauper videos.....in the early 90s most known as Super Mario (the skits) in the toon
    While we're on the topic of The Godfather on another thread:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article6875091.ece

Al Martino, who played crooner Johnny Fortune, (said to be based on Sinatra) has died.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Al Martino, who played crooner Johnny Fortune, (said to be based on Sinatra) has died.

Johnny Fontane, actually...but sad news. RIP :(
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    80s wrestling manager Lou Albano died , he managed 15 tag teams & also did several Lauper videos.....in the early 90s most known as Super Mario (the skits) in the toon

Lou Albano's association with wrestling dates all the way back to the 1960s. In addition to being one of the dirtiest, meanest toughest wrestlers on the ciruit, he was also one of the most colorful managers representing tag teams like the infamous Valiant Brothers. I grew up watching the infamous Captain Lou in the 70s and his run-ins with the likes of Chief Jay Strongbow (whom he once attacked on television with a fake arm cast), Ivan Putski (who he once tried to attack with a concealed hammer before the Polish Power turned the tables on him) and then WWWF champion Bruno Sammartino were the stuff of legend and truly entertaining; his later antics from the 80s onward pale by comparison. Nobody gave an interview like him, starting out calmly and rationally only to work himself up into a furious frenzy. R.I.P. Captain, you won't be soon forgotten.
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    Murray Kash passed away earlier this year.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jun/18/obituary-murray-kash
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    edited October 2009
    We've lost an icon of the series! :(

Joseph Wiseman, aka Dr. No, has passed away aged 91.

From the New York Times:

Joseph Wiseman, a longtime stage and screen actor most widely known for playing the villainous title character in “Dr. No,” the first feature film about James Bond, died on Monday at his home in Manhattan. He was 91.

His daughter, Martha Graham Wiseman, confirmed the death, saying her father had recently been in declining health.

Released in 1962, “Dr. No” was the first in what proved to be a decades-long string of Bond movies. Starring Sean Connery and Ursula Andress, the film featured Mr. Wiseman as Dr. Julius No, the sinister scientist who was Bond’s first big-screen adversary.

Mr. Wiseman’s other film credits include “Detective Story” (1951); “Viva Zapata!” (1952); “The Garment Jungle” (1957); “The Unforgiven” (1960); “The Night They Raided Minsky’s” (1968) and “The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz” (1974).

He had guest roles on many television shows, among them “Law & Order,” “The Streets of San Francisco,” “The Untouchables” and “The Twilight Zone.” In the late 1980s, he had a recurring role as the crime boss Manny Weisbord on the NBC drama “Crime Story.”

On Broadway, Mr. Wiseman was seen most recently, in 2001, as a witness for the prosecution in Abby Mann’s stage adaptation of his film drama “Judgment at Nuremberg.” In 1994, he appeared Off Broadway in the Tony Kushner play “Slavs!” in the role of Prelapsarianov, “the world’s oldest living Bolshevik.”

Writing in The New York Times, Vincent Canby said Mr. Wiseman played Prelapsarianov “to frail perfection.”

Joseph Wiseman was born in Montreal on May 15, 1918, and moved to the United States with his family when he was a boy. His first Broadway role was in the company of “Abe Lincoln in Illinois” (1938). Among his many other Broadway credits are “Joan of Lorraine” (1946), “Antony and Cleopatra” (1947), “Detective Story” (1949); “The Lark” (1955) and the title role in “In the Matter of J. Robert Oppenheimer” (1969).

Mr. Wiseman’s first marriage, to Nell Kinard, ended in divorce; his second wife, the choreographer Pearl Lang, died in February. In addition to his daughter, Martha, from his marriage to Ms. Kinard, Mr. Wiseman is survived by a sister, Ruth Wiseman.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/20/arts/20wiseman.html?_r=2&ref=obituaries

He has long been my favourite villain of the series, and Wiseman was an underrated actor.

Rest in Peace!
    edited October 2009
    Well, he set the standard. An excellent villain in an excellent film.

"You disappoint me Mister Bond, you are nothing but a stupid policeman..."

"That was a good line, but the way Joseph delivered it, it was excellent," said writer Richard Maibaum in an interview once.

dr_no.jpg

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited October 2009
    Well, he set the standard. An excellent villain in an excellent film.
    Hear hear! :D He was a fantastic villain and he will most certainly be missed. :( Still, 91 is a great age at which to depart. Anyway, RIP -{
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    I was very glad to see the great Joseph Wisemen get the respect he so richly deserved in our Villain Elimination Game B-)

He remains the 'Gold Standard' (take that, Goldfinger! :v ) for James Bond supervillains, and he was excellent in 'Detective Story.' I hope his later years were good ones for him. Rest in peace.
    aw sad day.

R.I.P. mr. Wisemen

• 84208420 Posts: 721MI6 Agent
    I don't believe it :( R.I.P Mr.Wiseman.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Goodbye to a very fine actor.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,558Chief of Staff
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Goodbye to a very fine actor.

My sentiments exactly. RIP -{
    YNWA 97
    Sir Ludovic Kennedy passed away this week. An Anglo-Scot, as he dubbed himself, he was a tireless campaigner against miscarriages of justice, in particular the hanging of Timothy Evans. The book of this case became 10 Rillington Place, starring Dickie Attenborough as the creepy serial killer Christie and John Hurt as the patsy (though didn't he start things rolling by, er, killing his wife? Will have to look into that one again). Americans may be interested to know that he also challenged the hanging of the Charles Lindenburgh kidnapper, arguing that he had been framed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/politics-obituaries/6374967/Sir-Ludovic-Kennedy.html#

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    Joseph Wiseman, aka Dr. No, has passed away aged 91.

I'm sad to read about this.
    A few years ago I received a nice inscribed 8x10 photo of Joseph Wiseman, so I'm pleased to have received this now. Not for it's monetary worth, but for the fact that he took the time to sent it to me.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • JADE66JADE66 Posts: 238MI6 Agent
    I believe Mr. Wiseman was the last of the Connery era supervillains to pass away. I do not count henchmen and secondary villains. It's ironic and perhaps somewhat fitting that he was the last in that he was also the first of the Connery era baddies. A terrific actor, I can remember, as a boy, seeing him on television in other roles and saying "Hey! That's Dr. No!"
    I have watched Dr No countless times, read and re-read Fleming's novel. Mr. Wiseman's face, his voice, the way he held himself, will always be burned in my memory as the image of the greatest of the Bond supervillains.
    R.I.P. Joseph Wiseman.
    Don Lane, an American-born Australian TV variety show host died today at the age of 75 of a a dementia-related illness. Lane was a legend; the host of Australia's highest ever rating variety show The Don Lane Show. He was, and remains, beloved and highly respected. He also guest commentated on the NFL Superbowl, had an earlier show called The Tonight Show (based on Carson's version of the same name), and formed with the (perhaps more) legendary Bert Newton one of Australian TV's greatest partnerships. RIP -{
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Another part of my childhood...it seems he was always on TV...it was cool, in the 1990s, when Sales' sons, Hunt and Tony, played with David Bowie in the band Tin Machine...

Rest in peace, Soupy -{
  • scottmu65scottmu65 Carlisle, Cumbria, UKPosts: 402MI6 Agent
    More of a personal one but RIP Gaga (my grandad). He was rushed into hospital 7 years ago this evening, he passed away at 2am on November 6th 2002.

Cant belive it has been 7 years already.

Rest in peace, miss you everyday.

My Idol.
    http://www.classicbondforums.tk - Please support our community.
    RIP Claude Levi-Strauss (nothing to do with Jeans)...the father of American Anthropology. he passed the other day at the ripe old age of 100. my department is rather depressed about this and we're going to have a memorial party in his honor.

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited November 2009
    Our national goalkeeper, Robert Enke committed suicide yesterday evening.
    Enke.jpg

He was 32 and recovered from a rare unknown virus infection, which kept him off the goal in our national team for the last couple of months.

His daughter died 3 years ago at the age of 2 and he just came back from a visit to her grave when he apparently ran in front of a train to take his life.

He was very respected by many german fans for being a sensible and reasonable guy, who's life was not only a solely glamorous track.

PIP Robert
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:

His daughter died 3 years ago at the age of 2 and he just came back from a visit to her grave when he apparently ran in front of a train to take his life.

He was very respected by many german fans for being a sensible and reasonable guy, who's life was not only a solely glamorous track.

PIP Robert

I heard about this on MSN, but didn't read the story. How tragic. But then, how do you get over the death of your child? :(

Let's hope he is at some rest now.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    To all those who have fallen in the line of duty protecting our freedom and ensuring our security.

Rememberance Day lands at a particularly poignant time for HM Forces, in what's been a difficult year of loss so far.

We will remember them.
    unitedkingdom.png
    As a veteran myself, I'd like to wish a happy Veteran's Day to all who've served---and especially those who serve now. This drink's for you: {[]
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,558Chief of Staff
    To all those who have fallen in the line of duty protecting our freedom and ensuring our security.

Rememberance Day lands at a particularly poignant time for HM Forces, in what's been a difficult year of loss so far.

We will remember them.

Beautifully put, M5....I echo those sentiments whole-heartedly.
    YNWA 97