Tributes Thread

Comments

• danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Ens007 wrote:
    RIP Larry Hagman. Iconic TV villain & judging by what his co-stars have said about him, an absolutely brilliant man. Grew up watching him in Dallas & his portrayal of JR Ewing was absolutely superb.

As an aside, it would seem that the family of former boxing champion Hector 'Macho' Camacho will soon be turning off his life support following his shooting. May he RIP.

:# RIP J.R.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Sad to learn the news about Larry Hagman.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,302MI6 Agent
    Very odd, because I understood he was ill during the recent filming of Dallas, but now was recovered and would look healthier for series 2. He seemed to have been giving interviews only a month or so ago - maybe they'd been scheduled much earlier? Probably.

He was also good in I Dream of Jeannie, though that doesn't get much of a mention. You get TV obit writers saying he was in Superman, yeah for one minute or so.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    I agree with Patrick Duffy , he said Hagman lived 10 yrs overdue.....he used to drink 4 bottles champagne a day and nearly died in the 90s due to liver problem and then came the cancer & his wifes Alzheimer :(
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    RIP Sir Patrick Moore, probably the most famous British Astronomer. One of those people who you thought would go on for ever.
    Sad news about Sir Patrick Moore, a real British Instution.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Very sad to hear about Sir Patrick Moore, a real eccentric and institution. I have a fairly keen interest in Astronomy so would often watch The Sky At Night over the years. I also remember the Apollo mission broadcasts he appeared in with James Burke. Rest In Peace.

Obituary: Patrick Moore
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10525469
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Sad news about Sir Patrick Moore, a real British Instution.

OMG....really?

Sad indeed...a real British Legend. My thought are with his family.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Was it Ronnie Barker who did a sketch of Patrick Moore?

Anyway, truly sad to hear old Pat has gone to the stars. RIP Sir Patrick Moore, you really was an inspiration for many, myself included. As soon as I spotted the next door neighbour changing I too bought my first telescope. I've been 'star gazing' for years now. ;%

Just don't tell the bird next door.

Or the police.

Or the Mrs.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    To all the families who have suffered from the Sandy Hook shootings.

Words cannot even begin to convey how tragic this is...for all involved.

My thoughts are with the families. :x
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Lexi wrote:

Absolutely. I still can't believe what I have seen via TV & other media. No words can convey my feelings, sadness & thoughts.
    Ens007 wrote:
    Lexi wrote:

Absolutely. I still can't believe what I have seen via TV & other media. No words can convey my feelings, sadness & thoughts.

Ditto.

Will this finally be what tips the scales towards a reform in US gun regulation?

We don't know the whole facts yet, we probably never will, but it seems to me that it's all too easy to stockpile arms legally.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    I do wonder whether seeing the President with tears in his eyes whilst talking about the tragedy could possibly be the catalyst to changes? Or maybe I'm just living in hope. I'm not particularly knowledgable about the US Gun Laws tbh, but how on earth can a 20 year old kid - yes kid - be able to get hold of these weapons so easily & I'm guessing legally?!

I know we've had our own issues in the past, but this seems to happen way too often over there, often carried out by young people. Senseless & chilling stuff.
    From what the press are saying, the guns involved were legally held by the suspect's mother (his first victim).

In the UK, a firearm should only be able to be accessed by the firearm certificate holder that the firearm is registered to. Ie if 2 people shared a gun cabinet, they'd need to have all firearms on each of their licences.

One trick the police used to use would be to call at a shooter's address and ask to inspect the cabinet. If the licence holder wasn't home, the police would trick whoever was home (wife, partner, etc) by asking to see the guns. If the cabinet was opened, ("oh certainly officer, I've got a spare set of keys somewhere") the handcuffs came out, as only the FAC holder should have access.

I dunno if this is the case in the states, but it seems that young angry males can all too frequently get access to some pretty dangerous stuff way too easily.

Ever seen 'tannerite'? :o truly scary.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Ens007 wrote:
    I'm not particularly knowledgable about the US Gun Laws tbh, but how on earth can a 20 year old kid - yes kid - be able to get hold of these weapons so easily & I'm guessing legally?!

Let me point you to the wikipage on every states gun laws. Interesting how the laws differ from each state. Pay special attention to Connectitcut and the Assault Weapon law. Compare it to other states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)

Now back to tributes
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    I'm normally a big unemotional slob. But this shooting just pulls at the heart strings
    of any parent. I can't imagine the hell those parents are going through. I only hope
    that with time they can find some kind of peace.
    I just fail to comprehend how many terrible events like this have to take place before something changes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% for shooting sports etc, but the reoccurance of tragedies like this MUST result in a change of some sort, surely?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Jack Klugman has passed away aged 90. He starred in the hit TV series The Odd Couple, and Quincy M.E. He also appeared in films such as Twelve Angry Men. Rest In Peace.

US Odd Couple actor Jack Klugman dies at 90
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20840475
    Sad to hear Gerry Anderson creator of Thunderbirds and Stingray, has died at the age of 83.
    Very sad to hear about Gerry Anderson. The puppet series he created were the work of genius that inspired me and many of my generation. And not forgetting the memorable live action series UFO and Space 1999. Anderson's creations have given much pleasure over the years, I and millions of others around the world are very grateful for that. -{
    Massively massively gutted that Gerry has passed. His work inspired me from the word go, and I have the pleasure of meeting, working with a being taught by some very cool guys working on Gerry's productions.

I think if I could only choose one word to describe him it'd be 'pioneering'.

A sad day for the UK film industry and Sci-fi fans everywhere.

MG -{
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • SherbrookSherbrook Melbourne AustraliaPosts: 137MI6 Agent
    Former England cricket captain Tony Greig has passed away in Sydney Australia aged 66

He died from a heart attack after being diagnosed with lung cancer some months ago

He was a fierce competitor on the field whom Australians grudgingly came to love -he had lived there for 30 years

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/tony-greig-dies-of-heart-attack/story-e6frf7jo-1226545005855
    I must be dreaming
    Also want to add RIP Tony Greig.
    edited January 2013
    Another cricket legend has died ... the respected journalist & broadcaster Christopher Martin Jenkins following his battle with cancer. May he RIP.
    Michael Winner's a goner. :(

Director and bon viveur, known for his Death Wish films and Hannibal Brooks starring Oliver Reed, a mid-60s war movie staple of 1970s TV. Maintained he'd been offered a Bond movie in the early 70s but turned it down. Mainly known for his restaurant reviews in the Sunday Times and being a mate of the likes of Michael Caine and Roger Moore, both who starred in his Bullseye! possibly one of the worst movies of all time.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    The 1st DW was the best , RIP Winner :(

5th anniversary Heath Ledger.......such a damn shame , bet hed have 20-30 yr span career.
    Bernard horsfall , 82 :(
    Sorry to hear about Bernard Horsfall. One of those actors with a familiar face, but not familiar with the name.

Doctor Who and James Bond actor Bernard Horsfall dies aged 82
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-01-29/doctor-who-and-james-bond-actor-bernard-horsfall-dies-aged-82
    A bit of an obscure one.... but do any of you remember one of these?

etch_a_sketch.jpg

One of my treasured toys.... but the Inventor Andre Cassagnes has died, aged 86.

An interesting article about him here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2272617/Etch-A-Sketch-Inventor-Andre-Cassagnes-dies-Paris-age-86.html#axzz2JplKN2NS
    tumblr_m3xc1hNXLZ1rrfb56o1_1280.jpg

"Now is the winter of my disinternment!"

"A hearse, a hearse, my kingdom for a hearse!"

_65685076_976_emargoed_bones_dsc_2463al.jpg

Roger Moore 1927-2017