Tributes Thread

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Gunnar Sønsteby, the legendary resistance fighter, WWII, died today. I have chosen my name on ajb007 after him out of respect. After the Germans attacked neutral Norway in April 1940 he and his friends (including war hero Max Manus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8RPdzrSKXE ) soon started the resistance. After some time he had to flee to the UK and enrolled in the Norwegian SOE-company. After after having been a star pupil at this spy- and saboteur-school he parachuted into occupied Norway to fight in the Oslo region. He soon became the leader of "the Oslo gang", a saboteur group that some consider the best in occupied Europe. They blew up a guarded office containing the registration cards for a planned forceded recruitment of Norwegians to the eastern front, sprung resistance fighters from prison, blew up ships carrying German troops to Norway and jews to their deaths on the return journey and many other famous missions. Often he got the orders from his childhood friend Jens Christian Hauge, the 27 year old leader of the Norwegian resistance. Together with Hauge he decided who should be asassinated by the resistance, included torturers and double agents. Sønsteby juggled multiple identities as the Gestapo new his name, and he became a master in the cat-and-mouse game with the Gestapo. He claimed he could smell German soldiers around street corners and had an almost clearvoiant danger sense on when to switch safe houses. British SOE wrote in classified reports that they considered him and his friend Gregers Gram the best secret agents in Europe. When the war ended The Oslo Gang was given the task of being personal bodyguard to Crown Prince and Commander of Norwegian armed forces Olav. Olav was driven through the capital filled with jubilant crowds, but also still armed German soldiers and Norwegian nazis. http://daria.no/skole/doc/html/10381.doc-filer/image007.jpg. Sønsteby remained a close friend of the royal family the rest of his life.

After the war he moved to Boston and studied at Harward business school. After his studies in the US he moved back to Norway and became a successful business-man. He also wrote books on his experiences during the war, debated military and security matter in the media and toured schools to speak on the war. Gunnar Sønsteby died at 94. He is still the most decorated person in Norwegian history, including a medal only he has recieved!

http://www.filmweb.no/multimedia/archive/00126/Gunnar_S_nsteby_126806b.jpg

In respect and gratitude.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    News has just come out that Donna Summer, legendary disco queen of the '70s, has died of cancer at 63. RIP.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    I am sorry to hear that Donna Summer has passed away. I will remember her for three songs in particular that I have enjoyed very much. I Feel Love - Theme from The Deep - No More Tears (Enough Is Enough) with Barbara Streisand. Rest In Peace.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tblde1QT7DU

10th anniversary British Bulldog Davy Boy Smith........
    Bee Gees' singer Robin Gibb has died aged 62. A statement from the family: "The family of Robin Gibb of The Bee Gees, announce with great sadness that Robin has passed away today following his long battle with cancer and intestinal surgery. The family have asked that their privacy be respected at this very difficult time."

Bee Gees' singer Robin Gibb dies after cancer battle
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18140862
    1 yr since Macho Man Savage died , he spawned many wannabe's in the world of wrestling but there's nothing like the real thing.........ohhhhhhh yeah , DIG IT !
    Gotta say, Gibb was amazing. I mean, their songwriting credits.... shame was, Bee Gees start off with dodgy, metallic stuff like Mining Distaster and Gotta Get a Message To You, rather grim stuff. But aside from their amazing disco hits - Staying Alive, Night Fever, How Deep is Your Love, If I Can't Have You, Must Be Dancing... yeah! Jive Talking, they had stuff like Dolly Parton and Kenny Roger's Islands in the Stream, Ross's Chain Reaction, Dionne Warwick's Heartbreaker. It's fab stuff, stunning. I had no idea for many years that they wrote this stuff. Greatest Hits, they are right up there with the best, including the Beatles, Stones, Kinks et al.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    Ray Bradbury, one of the last true grandmasters of science fiction and author of numerous genre classics including The Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451 and The Illustrated Man (a personal favorite) has passed away at the age of 91. While other writers may have crafted more scientifically accurate stories, few matched Bradbury in terms of the heart and emotion he was able to convey through his words.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/science-fiction-author-ray-bradbury-dies-144137431.html
    Rather amazingly, and I hope I don't put the curse on them, but Ernest Borgnine, and sisters Joan Fontaine and Olivia de Havilland are still going. Mind you, the sisters haven't talked to each other in decades!

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I was lucky enough to see one of Ray Bradbury's public talks in Tucson, AZ, some 24 or 25 years ago. He was a fantastic speaker who held everyone's attention from the word go. We'll miss ya, Ray. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Soon it'll be 30 yrs since Curt Jurgens died :(
    Ah c'mon Grindelwald. I doubt even his own close family can get worked up about that...

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    George Leech has sadly died apparently aged 91.
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
    Did Leech play the SPECTRE who Bond chokes with the ski in OHMSS ?

Anyway , RIP.....another member of the OHMSS "family" I met that's gone :(
    Victor Spinetti has died at the age of 82. He had been diagnosed with cancer. He appeared in more than thirty films, including the Beatles movies and Under Milk Wood starring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. Tributes from Rob Brydon, Britt Ekland, Sian Phillips, and Barbara Windsor.

Victor Spinetti, actor and star of Beatles films, dies
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18148017

victor1.jpg
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,230MI6 Agent
    @Grindelwald Yes, Leech did play the strangled SPECTRE skier in OHMSS, he also appeared on camera(uncredited) as a henchman in Thunderball during the hydrofoil fight, in The Spy Who Loved Me as a henchman firing a revolver during the car chase with the Lotus Espirt, and in For Your Eyes Only as the hapless thug that gets eaten by a shark.

RIP to a talented stunt performer.
    Andy Griffith has died at 86. Admit it. . .as soon as you read his name you started whistling that tune. A true American icon. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Happy US Independence Day! {[]

Stars-and-Stripes-Forever.jpg

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited July 2012
    Eric Sykes, Brit comedian, has died. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18704263

Appeared in long-running sitcom Sykes with Hattie Jacques, which oddly never gets a repeat, and also in The Others, with Nicol Kidman, bizarrely.

I got his autograph in 1980 when he played the Bob Hope Celebrity event at the RAC Club in Epsom. Nice fellow, then posed for a photo, this was on one of the preview days before all the crowds descended, I was off from school, recovering from an illness.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    So sad to hear About Eric Sykes, a great comedian and actor.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    First Andy Griffith, and now Ernest Borgnine. . .the legends and links to old Hollywood are fading away. . . :#
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Rest in peace to Messrs. Griffith and Borgnine---two remarkable careers.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Peter O'Toole - wait for it, wait for it - has done a Connery and decided to bow out of showbiz.

They should have him, Connery and Gene Hackman present an Oscar at the ceremony next year.

BTW there's a good obit of Borgnine by Quint on the Aint it Cool website.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Celeste Holm has died. :(

High Society

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Simon Ward, perhaps best known for Young Winston, has died, only 70.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18951504

D'know, looking at the photo there, he really could have had another crack at playing Churchill, in older years.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Sally Ride, the first US woman in space has died aged 61. She flew on the space shuttle Challenger in 1983. Since her first mission, more than 45 women from the US and other countries have flown in space, including two as Shuttle commander. President Obama is quoted: "As the first American woman to travel in space, Sally was a national hero and a powerful role model."

Sally Ride, the first US woman in space, dies aged 61
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18963939
    Actor Geoffrey Hughes has died aged 68. He was probably most famous for his role as Eddie Yates in Coronation Street. But I will remember him most of all for his role as Onslow in Keeping Up Appearances, he was often hilarious.

Coronation Street actor Geoffrey Hughes dies aged 68
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19032928

_61876621_000303821-1.jpg