Tributes Thread

Comments

• WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    Actor Geoffrey Hughes has died aged 68. He was probably most famous for his role as Eddie Yates in Coronation Street. But I will remember him most of all for his role as Onslow in Keeping Up Appearances, he was often hilarious.

Coronation Street actor Geoffrey Hughes dies aged 68
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19032928

_61876621_000303821-1.jpg

I remember him more from The Royle Family and Heartbeat. :(
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    He was a great comedy actor. Sad news.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    On the Paul McCartney website, it's down as 'Voice of Paul McCartney dies' - turns out he voiced cartoon Paul in the movie Yellow Submarine all those years ago.

Not the only time this week that Macca's voice has died... :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Moore Than wrote:
    Actor Geoffrey Hughes has died aged 68. He was probably most famous for his role as Eddie Yates in Coronation Street. But I will remember him most of all for his role as Onslow in Keeping Up Appearances, he was often hilarious.

Coronation Street actor Geoffrey Hughes dies aged 68
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19032928

_61876621_000303821-1.jpg

My late father was a BIG fan of "Keeping Up Appearances." Sad to hear; RIP.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Gore Vidal, as you will know by now. I'm only familiar with his sour soundbites or pithy epigrams, such as 'Never a good deed goes unpunished' and 'When a friend succeeds, something inside me dies.' He wrote Spartacus, I understand.

And Tony Martin, singer in Casbah, one of my dad's favourite films.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    George Leech has sadly died apparently aged 91.

A rather belated obit to Bond stuntman Leech in today's Independent (UK newspaper).

Here

He was (also) the weasly, balding guy who cut Melina Havelock's clothing in a famous-ish shot from FYEO, where they're about to be keelhauled.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    Really sorry to hear of Marvin Hamlisch's passing today. A single but very memorable soundtrack to TSWLM.

RIP
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Very sorry to hear about Marvin Hamlisch. The Spy Who Loved Me is a pivotal film that revived the series and his score is an integral and memorable part of it. A match for any of the great John Barry's scores apart from You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Moonraker, IMHO.

I already knew Hamlisch was an accomplished composer but did not realise how accomplished until I read the article below. Rest In Peace.

Marvin Hamlisch, composer of The Sting and A Chorus Line, dies aged 68
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19162758
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    Odd, isn't it, that those who came in for Barry did such sterling work in terms of songs, they raised the bar. Live And Let Die, maybe you can count the James Bond theme, Nobody Does it Better, and For Your Eyes Only, then AVTAK. Oh, FRWL, as the song was done by Lionel Bart (soundtrack by Barry).

But in the last few outings since Brosnan, we've had a new song each time and they've been very drear.

Well, if you have a top 5, Macca's and Marvin's would be in there. Bond 77 leads up to an iconic Bond moment, though the hi-hat on the remastered DVD is mixed wrongly. Incidental stuff like the music at the Fekkish Club works well, though overall the score is a bit thin.

The Way We Were is a great song too.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    RIP Mr. Hamlish -{
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    RIP Sid Waddell - the true voice of darts.

Larger than life character who helped to raise the popularity of the game beyond belief. His one-liners were unrivalled and brought many a chuckle. Very intelligent guy by all accounts too. Will be missed by many.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    gladly this tribute isn't one that follows the passing of anyone;

i've just read this great bit of news;
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2189069/Michael-J-Fox-return-TV-decade-new-comedy-show.html

as a huge back to the future fan, i'm thrilled to hear Micheal is returning to a more regular acting role. He's an inspiration for so many people who have parkinson's, and I wish him the best of luck with his new venture.

could this news reignite the BTTF4 theories? :))
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    -{
    Great to hear
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Never got the hang of Parkinson's, my mum's had it for 10 years, no way could she appear in a drama or even know her own name some days. It's very variable, not just a physical thing of 'Oh, I'll take these to stop me shaking'.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    edited August 2012
    An absolutely heartbreaking end to such a sad and hurting life. Friday night saw the passing of Winnie Johnson, the mother of Keith Bennet, the only victim of Ian Brady and Myra Hindley not to be found.

Winnie never stopped searching for her murdered boy's body, hidden by Brady and Hindley on saddleworth moor, Yorkshire. Her only wish was to see her son's remains properly buried, but this dying wish was so cruelly denied by the only person who could let her find her son, Brady.

I was born many years after Brady was convicted in 1966, but I've never heard of such a disgusting way that one human could treat another on such a personal basis. With Brady sent down for life, his only handle on life, or leverage over people is his information on the location of Keith's body.

I was truly gutted to hear that she passed without seeing her dying wish come true. I just hope that whatever comes after this life, there is a possibility that she will be reunited with her boy.

RIP Winnie,

MG
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Mr Martini wrote:

Apparently he'd recently been diagnosed with a brain tumor, and decided not to go that route. What a shame to lose such a talented filmmaker.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Neil Armstrong took the greatest step of all. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    I was an eight year old boy watching those ghostly black and white images in awe as Neil Armstrong took that one small step for man. A very brave man, a pioneer, an icon, a true hero. Rest In Peace.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    So sad to read about Neil Armstrong.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    Neil Armstrong was a hero in the truest and purest sense of the word. His brilliance and vision were exceeded only by his modesty and sincere, down to Earth humility. He had the courage and skill to pilot the Eagle over those last miles and turn one of Mankind's oldest dreams into reality and the class and grace to never exploit that achievement for his own personal gain. The stars are all a little dimmer tonight for his passing.
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    "I wanna tell you a story"... Max Bygraves dies aged 89
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    RIP to lyricist Hal David. A man connected to Bond through CR 67 and 'Moonraker.' Beautiful partnership with Burt Bacharach. "And all the stars who never were...."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqWt49o7R-k&feature=related
    Hal wasn't always the deepest lyricist, but you can't argue with success. RIP, Mr. David.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    "The Look Of Love" was perhaps the best thing about CR67, although the title song was fun. "Moonraker" was a beautiful song, too, though less appreciated than Shirley Bassey's other two Bond vocals.
    "Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown?" was completely overshadowed by the other song Mr David wrote lyrics for in OHMSS, his major contribution to Bond history. RIP Hal David.
    Very sad to hear about the death of Michael Clarke Duncan, probably most famous for The Green Mile:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/actor-michael-clarke-duncan-dead-54-214440462.html

In one of my Bond fantasies, the producers would have used the Mr. Big character as Fleming wrote him, not the disguise for Dr. Kananga, and Duncan would have played him. Alas, it will never be. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Only just read the sad news on Michael Clarke Duncan, he made such an impact with the green mile.
    I too had hoped he'd of joined the Bond line-up at some point..
    Sad to hear about MCD......he was awesome as John Coffey in The Green Mile.