Tributes Thread

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    welshguy34 wrote:
    RIP Jimmy Armfield.

Indeed -{
    He was a true gentleman.
    YNWA 97
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jan/18/actor-peter-wyngarde-department-s-dies
    Saddened to learn about the death of Peter Wyngarde. Best
    Known for playing Jason King in Department S .

Re Wyngarde, he was also in the notorious episode of The Avengers, in which he played the leader of the hellfire club. Banned because of Emma Peel's saucy get-up, though viewing imo was disappointing seeing as Ms Peel appeared to be acting under duress and not exactly enjoying the experience.

The-Queen-of-Sin-diana-rigg-19937079-263-456.jpg

Mind you, I don't suppose the snake enjoyed it that much either.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jan/18/actor-peter-wyngarde-department-s-dies

Re Wyngarde, he was also in the notorious episode of The Avengers, in which he played the leader of the hellfire club. Banned because of Emma Peel's saucy get-up, though viewing imo was disappointing seeing as Ms Peel appeared to be acting under duress and not exactly enjoying the experience.

I've read about that episode. Was it ever released in more recent times, Nap?
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    Oh, it's one of the many that were shown on the UK's True Entertainment channel 61, it was always on recently. I wouldn't get too carried away about it.... you could probably even find it on youtube, but the photos are more arousing and suggestive than the actual episode, which isn't bad incidentally.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Oh, it's one of the many that were shown on the UK's True Entertainment channel 61, it was always on recently. I wouldn't get too carried away about it.... you could probably even find it on youtube, but the photos are more arousing and suggestive than the actual episode, which isn't bad incidentally.

Good to know. Would like to see it some time. As you rightly say I'm sure it's fairly tame by today's standards, if not those of the time! :D
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    RIP Ursula K. Le Guin, author of The Lathe of Heaven, The Left Hand of Darkness, the Dispossessed, and many more.
    RIP to the crazy musical maverick that was Mark E Smith -{
    YNWA 97
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent

interesting! theres a classic storyline in the X-Men comics, from the early80s, known as the Dark Phoenix Saga, where Jean Grey (aka Marvel Girl aka Phoenix, and next to be aka the Black Queen) joins the Hellfire Club in Manhattan, seduced by an evil mutant named Jason Wyngarde! I've read that the X-Men story is directly influenced by that Avengers episode (which is available on the dvd's, and everybody should own those 2 Diana Rigg seasons on dvd just because...) ... now I see the naming of the villain was itself a tribute to the actor in that episode!
    2gljmy.jpg
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Today is Holocaust Memorial Day - we must never forget.

larbeit-maca-if-we-held-a-moment-of-silence-for-20505807.png
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    Mort Walker RIP (creator of Beetle Bailey , esp popular in Scnadinavia)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    edited February 2018
    Saddened to learn of the death of John Mahoney.
    The Dad in Frasier
    http://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/05/entertainment/john-mahoney-obit/index.html
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    John Gavin was never a great actor, but he was a good, reliable one. I'm not sure how credible he would have been as Bond; his "English" accent in Midnight Lace (1960) is just a notch or two better than the one Dick Van Dyke used. But for his career and for his service to his country, I salute him.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited February 2018
    Very sad news about the shocking early death of the lovely Emma Chambers at just 53 (from natural causes). I saw her in a repeat of the first Christmas Special of The Vicar of Dibley just this last Christmas Eve and was reminded of her great comic talent.

One of her best scenes of Emma's that my brother brings up from time to time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPsSzLnXJkg

The Guardian on her 5 funniest scenes in TV and film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIC8VzHUebw
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    RIP Lewis Gilbert (CBE)
    So sad to learn of this RIP Lewis Gilbert
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Wikipedia page hasn't even updated.
    :# :# :# :(
    He was my favourite classic Bond director.
    Was only just watching Moonraker and bits of Spy yesterday and thinking how well shot it was.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Lewis Gilbert was (I think) the last remaining of the major behind-the-camera figures of the Bond films of the '60s and '70s. He created the style for the otherworldly Bond epic, and--to coin a phrase--nobody did it better. RIP.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    Wikipedia page hasn't even updated.
    :# :# :# :(

Well, it has now. RIP.
    Very sad to hear of Lewis Gilbert’s death :# RIP -{
    YNWA 97
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Very sad - he brought a vision and a breadth of scale to his films which has scarcely been equalled. RIP.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    Really saddened to hear about this, worse is finding out he passed on my birthday so whilst I was celebrating... :(

Had the pleasure of meeting Lewis twice, lovely, lovely man, RIP.
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent
    Another true gentleman passes. Wonderful director. RIP Sir.
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Very sad to hear of Gilbert's passing. But what an achievement, to leave behind so many wonderful films and live to the age of 97!
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,230MI6 Agent
    edited February 2018
    Very sad to hear about Lewis Gilbert, he was a really incredible director both in his work for Bond and Beyond. Also I am sorry to hear about Mort Walker as well, Beetle Bailey is one of my favorite non-superhero comics which I still read in my Sunday newspaper. Additionally I just read on Facebook that writer Paul Demeo has passed away, he co-wrote the scripts for the video games Nightfire and Everything Or Nothing and also co-wrote the film adaptation of The Rocketeer (1991) which Timothy Dalton starred in.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    The Spy Who Loved Me was my first Bond film, so I assumed that was what they were supposed to look like.
    Even after I did my research and became a Fleming-snob, I still believe that film is the Bond Film Perfected.

Both Gilbert and Moore gone within the same year ... by way of tribute, they just gotta give us a big villains HQ and lots of gadgets in this next film.
  • welshguy34welshguy34 Posts: 219MI6 Agent
    Very sad to hear of the death of Lewis Gilbert. RIP.
    Very sad news about Lewis Gilbert passing away, though at least he had a good innings. He was nearly 98. -{

He directed three of the biggest and most outlandish Bond films and they are the ones that the public consciousness most associated with James Bond. That will assure his legacy in the history of the Bond films.
    Twitter has just reminded me that it was 20 years ago today [28 February 1998] that we lost Dermot Morgan of Father Ted fame. -{
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    And it would've been Elizabeth Taylor's birthday today.
    a reasonable rate of return