Tributes Thread

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    Lewis Gilbert of course did other classics too, such as Reach for the Sky, Alfie and Educating Rita.

Personally, I thought he would have been good to have stay on and do FYEO, since he was obv good with actors and that film had a different kind of emphasis.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    Not to hijack. I figured this was a little better than the Rant thread. So today is Match 1st. March 14th is my birthday (Pi day) and the day my daughter died. It has been three years now and I literally can't believe it. Something about it being the first has literally hit me. I guess I am writing this because I can't ever talk about my daughter in real life. I just feel like I need to mention it once a year to keep me from going made or to make her seem more real. Anyway, happy! Here is the song she was named after:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8UaJTk8Ybw
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Not to hijack. I figured this was a little better than the Rant thread. So today is Match 1st. March 14th is my birthday (Pi day) and the day my daughter died. It has been three years now and I literally can't believe it. Something about it being the first has literally hit me. I guess I am writing this because I can't ever talk about my daughter in real life. I just feel like I need to mention it once a year to keep me from going made or to make her seem more real. Anyway, happy! Here is the song she was named after:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8UaJTk8Ybw

So sorry to hear this Lady Vesper :( I only wish I had words of comfort as I know just how hard grief can be on a person.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Likewise VM, grief is hard enough but I can’t begin to imagine how hard it must be to lose a daughter. I’m so sorry to hear of this but I’m glad you can share it a little with us.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    chipanddale.gif
    I was going to post in the Tributes about a close relative who died last year, but I never did. I could talk about it alright, but going on here... I suppose this is where I get to be wittier and more erudite than in real life, but of course in such an ideal world I wouldn't have to go on the Tributes section, as my relative would still be alive. I guess that's the opposite to you VesperM, and of course it affects us in different ways, along with who it is we've lost.

Grief comes and goes in waves, I've found. Some days it's okay, other times it can blindside you.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I think the idea of writing it out in "space" kind of helps. I don't know any of you (as far as I know.) Also in real life no one asks about her or talks about it so it just feels very surreal. I understand that no one wants to upset me. In some ways people being thoughtful makes it worse. Venting here was really helpful. Sending you hugs.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    edited March 2018
    I don't mean to cause you any panic but would you considering another baby someday?

Also, I think it would be quite a feat to bring her up in a conversation and it would be a difficult situation for anyone to manage but they should at least be aware that you need someone to talk about her about. Maybe, if you don't already, you'll find someone in your life that you can trust enough to talk about such delicate matters and get some kind of support.

Very sorry to hear about that, Vesper. Wish you well.
    a reasonable rate of return
    Hmm, not sure 'having another baby' is the right response either... :)) I've put the laughing emoticon, because really... I've no idea what VesperM's circs are anyway, I'm steering between 'sorry for your loss' and 'it's none of my business so I won't intrude'.

It's true that some people don't want to say anything for fear of saying the wrong thing. A friendly bloke gave me some condolences on the day but it made it worse! That's because grief is so very individual and tailored to what has happened (and why). I mean, suppose someone says 'You'll never get over it' in an understanding way (not that that's what he said to me, it was something else). That's an example of how they might make it worse if someone felt they were actually coping with it well.

It got worse for me after a month because I learnt to interpret the event, to process it. At first, it was just the event and I was mentally processing it, the new information, the emotion didn't have leg room then.

The things I might think up to comfort VesperM could also make it worse on reflection.

On a lighter note, it seems Dirty Punker and my signatures are more appropriate on this particular thread than VesperM's...

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Haha! I am known for poorly timed sex jokes ;%
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    David Ogden Stiers aka the pompous Winchester on MASH died......damn !

:#
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    RIP David Ogden Stiers, a very talented actor
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    RIP to David Ogden Stiers and to Sir Roger Bannister, the first man to break the four-minute mile:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/04/obituaries/roger-bannister-dead.html
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Sad to hear of the death of Sir Roger Bannister - a British sporting legend. -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Somewhat relieved to hear it wasn't from asthma... :#

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent
    RIP Trevor Bayliss. He was a wonderful character and I'm glad he received the recognition in life, he so rightly deserved.

Used to love his piece on The Big Breakfast with Johnny Vaughan :)
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent
    It's only March and already we have lost some amazing people in 2018..
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    It's only March and already we have lost some amazing people in 2018..

Yes, it is the way of the world. Some years seem to be worse than others - 2016 for instance. It's unfortunate, but there it is. As the 1986 John Gardner Bond novel title has it, Nobody Lives Forever.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    RIP Ken Dodd
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    RIP Ken Dodd

image_update_89d9b0489c086c95_1383824275_9j-4aaqsk.jpg
    He made it to 90, which reminds me of his joke about his showbiz agent dying at 90: 'We think he was actually 100, but kept 10 per cent for himself...'

Not sure Americans would know this comic, but here he is with fellow Liverpudlians The Beatles back in the day, when Lennon bests him.

Ken Dodd and The Beatles

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I mainly know Ken Dodd through an episode of Doctor Who he did back in the Sylvester McCoy years. RIP from my side of the Pond.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    My condolences to the Diddymen. They must be inconsolable.
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OfpHL5UY3Q

40 yrs ago.....amazing actor !

What could've been :(
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    I was extremely saddened to hear of the death of Sir Ken Dodd today...the man was just funny...he really was one of the last great vaudevillians...I’m sure the jam butty mines shut today as a mark of respect...

I loved the tweet from Gary Delaney...he said that Ken Dodd’s funeral will be held on Wednesday...Thursday, Friday and most of Saturday :))

RIP, Sir -{
    YNWA 97
    On the subject of Dodd and the Beatles, Lennon may have bested him but Dodd bested them in the charts: his ballad Tears was the third best selling record of the 1960s in the UK, second only to The Beatles' I Want to Hold Your Hand and She Loves You. Okay, so they bested him again but they're biggest pop band ever! Tears sold more than all their other records (okay, again, Beatles had the rest of the Top 5 to themselves).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_singles_of_the_1960s_in_the_United_Kingdom

BTW Tears is crap.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Here's a 'tribute' to Ken Dodd I enjoyed reading in The Guardian last November ('tribute' as he was very much still alive then) and only recently was chuckling about his joke about the Liverpool Football Club manager therein.

Ken Dodd Tribute Last November

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • welshguy34welshguy34 Posts: 219MI6 Agent
    Sad to hear about Ken Dodd. He was a good age though.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Stephen Hawking has passed away. We have lost one of the world's most brilliant minds.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    RIP Professor Hawking.