Comments

• 007007 ClassifiedPosts: 372MI6 Agent
    I like the way they look personally.
    Things I hate:
    1. People who hate things.
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.
  • pyratpyrat Posts: 260MI6 Agent

Baretta??? pfftttt...... Not nice guns (well I do like their shotguns), but the handguns arent great......

Beretta make great shotguns - I have a .12 bore 687 multi-choke sport, and it's still like new after 20 odd years use. The pistols are ok, but the American-made ones are inferior to the Italian ones. I owned a 92 FS, and changed it in favour of a Browning hp-35. The first pull of the 92 on DA is terrible, the trigger is way out there and extremely heavy. The gun was also tinny and toy-like. Stripping it is also unnecessarily awkward.

Agreed, shotguns are lovely to shoot and nicely made.

If i was buying a pistol for use everyday, it would be glock or H&K

Keep in mind Beretta was the selection of JSSAP in the 70s and it's successor the XM9 program in the 80s where the 92F/M9 tied with the Sig P226 but was the selection due to better bidding on the part of Beretta. These tests were redone even later, known as the XM10 trials and again the M9 won out so I find it interesting you would suggest there are issues with the Beretta. I do agree, that the US made Berettas, like the US made Walthers are inferior to their home country made versions, unfortunate but seemingly true.
    Pyrat
    Reflections in a double bourbon...
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    a short video on guns and eye protection. I've never seen this in a movie. :))

http://youtu.be/yMyvLq_jSjw
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    pyrat wrote:

Beretta make great shotguns - I have a .12 bore 687 multi-choke sport, and it's still like new after 20 odd years use. The pistols are ok, but the American-made ones are inferior to the Italian ones. I owned a 92 FS, and changed it in favour of a Browning hp-35. The first pull of the 92 on DA is terrible, the trigger is way out there and extremely heavy. The gun was also tinny and toy-like. Stripping it is also unnecessarily awkward.

Keep in mind Beretta was the selection of JSSAP in the 70s and it's successor the XM9 program in the 80s where the 92F/M9 tied with the Sig P226 but was the selection due to better bidding on the part of Beretta. These tests were redone even later, known as the XM10 trials and again the M9 won out so I find it interesting you would suggest there are issues with the Beretta. I do agree, that the US made Berettas, like the US made Walthers are inferior to their home country made versions, unfortunate but seemingly true.

I have no idea why American-made Walthers and Berettas are so bad. To be fair, the Berettas always seemed fine to me, but I've shot P99's and there is a vast difference. Colts and Smith & Wessons of the 70's to 90's were so good they were probably a world benchmark - I guess things are made to budget nowadays. :#
    The sig P226 would have been an all-round better choice for the US military - and now so many military units and law-enforcement agencies use the sig anyway...
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
    007 wrote:

Glocks are functional, durable and practical. When I say they're a bit souless I mean that they are a bit plain and tool-like. Take a kitchen knife for example. All you need is something with an 8" blade, and sharp. Most people will do 99.9% of what they need to do with that. But people spend hundreds, sometimes over a thousand pounds on sets of knives with different implements, blade lengths, racks/blocks/holders - and it's all down to personal taste. You don't actually need any of these things.
    I've used a few Glocks and they're all OK. But a custom-made Safari Arms 1911 model with adjustable front and rear sights, rubber over-sized grips, hand-loaded .45 match ammunition will shoot it off the page. James Bond is a bit special so he needs a
    well thought out weapon to suit him. Glocks are not special enough. He either needs his PPK with history and heritage or a new direction of customised "Q" guns with guttersnipe sights, full-auto function and specially tailored ammunition. :D
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

• Coldheart96Coldheart96 Florida , USAPosts: 203MI6 Agent
    007 wrote:

Glocks are functional, durable and practical. When I say they're a bit souless I mean that they are a bit plain and tool-like. Take a kitchen knife for example. All you need is something with an 8" blade, and sharp. Most people will do 99.9% of what they need to do with that. But people spend hundreds, sometimes over a thousand pounds on sets of knives with different implements, blade lengths, racks/blocks/holders - and it's all down to personal taste. You don't actually need any of these things.
    I've used a few Glocks and they're all OK. But a custom-made Safari Arms 1911 model with adjustable front and rear sights, rubber over-sized grips, hand-loaded .45 match ammunition will shoot it off the page. James Bond is a bit special so he needs a
    well thought out weapon to suit him. Glocks are not special enough. He either needs his PPK with history and heritage or a new direction of customised "Q" guns with guttersnipe sights, full-auto function and specially tailored ammunition. :D

Couldn't agree more with your assessment of the Glocks. They are souless. I've been sitting here in AF (again) for over 2 months now supporting SOF, the Marines, and of course our UK brothers. Some of my observations are that the Beretta, while it fills the requirement, doesn't seem to stand up to this environment very well. Almost every Marine I see has one now and they are all pretty beat up with the finish just about gone on them. Most of them look silver and the guys are telling me they are starting to have function issues. I am carrying a Sig 229, which so far has been reliable. I haven't seen, nor do I expect to see any customized weapons out here, with the exception of the occasional long gun. I carry an H&K 416 with EOtech reticle sights. That is pretty much the standard for my gang out here. As for the PPK, I look at it as a simple, yet elegant looking piece, which does the job it is intended for. A defensive weapon, easy to conceal, looks great with a Dinner Jacket, and is quite effective in the hands of some one who know how to use it.
    Bond: "Who would spend $1 million to kill me?"
    M: "Jealous husbands. Outraged chefs. Humiliated tailors. The list is endless!"
  • 007007 ClassifiedPosts: 372MI6 Agent
    007 wrote:

I do agree with you actually - Bond is special and I know Glocks are a little plain looking even if I do like them...how about Bond with an 18c though!
    Things I hate:
    1. People who hate things.
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent

Couldn't agree more with your assessment of the Glocks. They are souless. I've been sitting here in AF (again) for over 2 months now supporting SOF, the Marines, and of course our UK brothers. Some of my observations are that the Beretta, while it fills the requirement, doesn't seem to stand up to this environment very well. Almost every Marine I see has one now and they are all pretty beat up with the finish just about gone on them. Most of them look silver and the guys are telling me they are starting to have function issues. I am carrying a Sig 229, which so far has been reliable. I haven't seen, nor do I expect to see any customized weapons out here, with the exception of the occasional long gun. I carry an H&K 416 with EOtech reticle sights. That is pretty much the standard for my gang out here. As for the PPK, I look at it as a simple, yet elegant looking piece, which does the job it is intended for. A defensive weapon, easy to conceal, looks great with a Dinner Jacket, and is quite effective in the hands of some one who know how to use it.

I would like to know what your opinion is of the HK 416. Like mst Norwegian males I used the HK AG3 (Norwegian-buildt G3 ), but now the armed forces have changed to 416`s. How is it compared to other assault rifles?
  • waltherppk7.65waltherppk7.65 Posts: 97MI6 Agent
    .40cal walther pps as used in carte blanche
    007 wrote:

Sounds like you've got some good kit there. I did a private security contract out there eight years ago, then one in Iraq - not a lover of either place and certainly not on my list of civvy tourist destinations. :))
    Keep your eyes everywhere and stay safe. -{

• Coldheart96Coldheart96 Florida , USAPosts: 203MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

I would like to know what your opinion is of the HK 416. Like mst Norwegian males I used the HK AG3 (Norwegian-buildt G3 ), but now the armed forces have changed to 416`s. How is it compared to other assault rifles?

To be honest I really do not have an opinion about it one way or another. It's a tool in my tool kit. I take care of it and it works when I need it. As far as comparing to other assult rifles, about the same as the M4, shorter barrel though, definitely better than the M16A2, prefer the G36C I used to carry, and I think a littel better than the MP5SD. Of course my choice of weapon has to be a great comms package. Nothing beats calling in the big boys when your executing the Taliban/Hellfire Rapid Integration program. :))
    Bond: "Who would spend $1 million to kill me?"
    M: "Jealous husbands. Outraged chefs. Humiliated tailors. The list is endless!"
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,296MI6 Agent
    I've no knowledge of weaponry but some of the chat on this thread is interesting, could use some of this in a Bond film, in a conversational sort of way.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

To be honest I really do not have an opinion about it one way or another. It's a tool in my tool kit. I take care of it and it works when I need it. As far as comparing to other assult rifles, about the same as the M4, shorter barrel though, definitely better than the M16A2, prefer the G36C I used to carry, and I think a littel better than the MP5SD. Of course my choice of weapon has to be a great comms package. Nothing beats calling in the big boys when your executing the Taliban/Hellfire Rapid Integration program. :))

Thanks for the reply. Yes, today the radio is often a soldiers most powerfull weapon. Are you in the military or a private contractor? Stay safe!
  • Herr MichaelHerr Michael Posts: 360MI6 Agent
    pyrat wrote:

This was as much a political move as a practical one. The US needed to base GLCM in Europe at the time and Italy was one of the chosen spots. The Walther P88 didn't measure up during trials and we weren't going to base missiles in Switzerland. Italy won the new sidearm contract and we were able to place GLCM where we wanted it.
  • LtPurcyLtPurcy Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    I doubt they will change the ppk to any other type of pistol outside of walther due to the fan reputation the firearm has ..

Also where have people been getting that the SIS carry p226's? mi5 and mi6 agents dont even carry firearms, especially here in the UK

too much spooks I think, unless your talking about bond lore only.
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    I own and shoot a modest collection of firearms, but I can't find myself caring much which pistol Bond carries, for some reason. For practical realism, I suppose it should be a 9mm of some sort due to the global ubiquity of the cartridge, but I don't suspect 'Bond struggling to find ammo' to be a plot point anytime soon.
    LtPurcy wrote:
    I doubt they will change the ppk to any other type of pistol outside of walther due to the fan reputation the firearm has ..

Also where have people been getting that the SIS carry p226's? mi5 and mi6 agents dont even carry firearms, especially here in the UK

too much spooks I think, unless your talking about bond lore only.

I drove and helped to protect a few MI5 operatives in Northern Ireland. They carried handguns at all times.

On the subect of guns: The Norwegian Police Union just polled their members on general arming of the police force. 80% opposed carrying guns durring normal service, 20% wanted general arming av the police force and the rest were undecided. The poll was made before the terrorist attack this summer. In my opinon the arming of the police officers involved was not a factor on the 22nd. He blunders they made had nothing to do with this issue. Norwegian police are now handing in their 38. revolvers for Heckler & Kock and Glock automatics.
    Here are some Gun related Facts, which might be of Interest. :v

TOP 10 REASONS WHY SOME MEN FAVOR HANDGUNS OVER WOMEN

10 - YOU CAN TRADE IN AN OLD 44 FOR A NEW 22, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

9 - YOU CAN KEEP ONE HANDGUN AT HOME, AND HAVE ANOTHER FOR WHEN YOU'RE
    ON THE ROAD.

8 - IF YOU ADMIRE A FRIEND'S HANDGUN AND TELL HIM SO, HE WILL PROBABLY LET YOU TRY IT OUT A FEW TIMES.

7 - YOUR PRIMARY HANDGUN DOESN'T MIND IF YOU KEEP ANOTHER HANDGUN FOR A BACK UP.

6 - YOUR HANDGUN WILL STAY WITH YOU EVEN IF YOU RUN OUT OF AMMO.

5 - A HANDGUN DOESN'T TAKE UP A LOT OF CLOSET SPACE.

4 - HANDGUNS FUNCTION NORMALLY EVERY DAY OF THE MONTH.

3 - A HANDGUN DOESN'T ASK, "DO THESE NEW GRIPS MAKE ME LOOK FAT?"

2 - A HANDGUN DOESN'T MIND IF YOU GO TO SLEEP AFTER YOU USE IT.

1 - YOU CAN BUY A SILENCER FOR A HANDGUN.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • DanielCraig007DanielCraig007 Posts: 588MI6 Agent

ON THE ROAD.

8 - IF YOU ADMIRE A FRIEND'S HANDGUN AND TELL HIM SO, HE WILL PROBABLY LET YOU TRY IT OUT A FEW TIMES.

7 - YOUR PRIMARY HANDGUN DOESN'T MIND IF YOU KEEP ANOTHER HANDGUN FOR A BACK UP.

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

ON THE ROAD.

Pure class! :))

Not really about Handguns But I saw these very funny Photos, Of a Military sence of humor. :))

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2009603/Hilarious-collection-photos-soldiers-seeing-funny-life-frontline.html
  • whiteknight86whiteknight86 MexicoPosts: 43MI6 Agent
    What about the new walthers?

PK 380

2009shotshow.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

PPQ

1292495832_83_6_o.jpg

W_PPQ40_WAP00_Q40_R_cmyk.jpg
    Half monk, half hitman
    What about the new walthers?

PK 380

2009shotshow.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

PPQ

1292495832_83_6_o.jpg

W_PPQ40_WAP00_Q40_R_cmyk.jpg

Going the way of Glock, I'm afraid. Starting to look the same throughout the range...

• DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent

ON THE ROAD.

Pure class! :))

Seconded
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung