PPK,P99 or new Handgun for Bond23?

Comments

• themongoosethemongoose Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    It is true that 99% of the time it is MONEY that makes the decision of what goes into big name films. But I truly think the ASP 2000 would be perfect for Craig. It jut looks like the mondern Bond- like it is meant to go with the Aston Martins he had- and the whole modern cold, cool, look and feel. So I am hoping someone who is working on the new films reads this site and thread :P

2ihnslf.jpg

Sexy.
    "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people...To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -George Mason, during Virginia's ratification convention, 1788

2exlqgp.jpg
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    It is true that 99% of the time it is MONEY that makes the decision of what goes into big name films.

..not in the case of Walther. They don't pay and never have
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Even if Walther was to invest in a Bond film, it would not make much sense since the PPK is "out of print", nothing to be gained by banging that gong.

Modern Walthers and most of the alternative handguns pictured in this thread are no improvement on the PPK in the "looks" department. Bond is cinema, and in that unreal world of make-believe a Walther PPK can kill elephants and shoot down rocketships!

Again, the last thing cinema Bond has that links him to his film "past" is the PPK. I would hate to see this last vestige from the start of the series be dropped - if that happens, the only antique will be Dame Judy. If that's all I have to look forward to I'll start watching Bourne movies!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    7289 wrote:
    Even if Walther was to invest in a Bond film, it would not make much sense since the PPK is "out of print", nothing to be gained by banging that gong.

Modern Walthers and most of the alternative handguns pictured in this thread are no improvement on the PPK in the "looks" department. Bond is cinema, and in that unreal world of make-believe a Walther PPK can kill elephants and shoot down rocketships!

Again, the last thing cinema Bond has that links him to his film "past" is the PPK. I would hate to see this last vestige from the start of the series be dropped - if that happens, the only antique will be Dame Judy. If that's all I have to look forward to I'll start watching Bourne movies!

Amen, pal. I was thrilled to see the PPK return. Classic :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    Despite its age the Walther PPK is still one of the best conceled carry pistols on market. Mind you a 7.65mm seven shot automatic would not be the best weapon for going up aganist an SMG or assualt rifle, thought in a pistol to pistol fight it will work just fine. As 7289 said the PPK is part of Bond's mythology in the films, so I feel pretty safe in saying that is likely going to stick around as long the films are made.
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    Can't beat the ppk for conceal carry. It's the perfect package - I've put thousands of rounds through ppk's both in the army and as a civilian enthusiast and never had a single stoppage. Yes the 7.65mm is low on power, but compared to what? Up against an smg or assault rifle no pistol is adequate. And the 7.65mm is punchier than most imagine. I've had good groupings at fifty metres and hit the target for a laugh at the two hundred mark. At twenty metres they cut straight through wet 4"x4" wooden posts!
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • Agent 114Agent 114 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote: Modern Walthers and most of the alternative handguns pictured in this thread are no improvement on the PPK in the "looks" department. Bond is cinema, and in that unreal world of make-believe a Walther PPK can kill elephants and shoot down rocketships!

That's an excellent point, 7289. You've changed my mind on the subject. Of course Bond should retain the PPK because it's simply the sexiest looking pistol on the market, most elegant automatic ever (with the possible exception of the Luger).

Alhtough I wouldn't want to see it myself (and I don't really know why), I find it odd that no one suggests Bond carry a PPK in the .380 (9mm kurz) caliber. The pistol's capacity is reduced by one round, but it's a larger caliber with a somewhat greater stopping power than the 7.65, especially with some varieties of modern ammunition. PPK's were always available in .380, so Flemming did have that option when writing Dr. No.

I always thought the P99 was actually a poor choice for Bond cinema. It strikes me as too large and ugly. Imagine if Connery had carried a P-38 in From Russia with Love. No offense, but just because a gun's a Walther (and Walthers are pretty much all excellent) doesn't mean it works as a primary carry weapon for Bond on film.
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    Agent 114 wrote:
    7289 wrote: Modern Walthers and most of the alternative handguns pictured in this thread are no improvement on the PPK in the "looks" department. Bond is cinema, and in that unreal world of make-believe a Walther PPK can kill elephants and shoot down rocketships!

That's an excellent point, 7289. You've changed my mind on the subject. Of course Bond should retain the PPK because it's simply the sexiest looking pistol on the market, most elegant automatic ever (with the possible exception of the Luger).

Alhtough I wouldn't want to see it myself (and I don't really know why), I find it odd that no one suggests Bond carry a PPK in the .380 (9mm kurz) caliber. The pistol's capacity is reduced by one round, but it's a larger caliber with a somewhat greater stopping power than the 7.65, especially with some varieties of modern ammunition. PPK's were always available in .380, so Flemming did have that option when writing Dr. No.

I always thought the P99 was actually a poor choice for Bond cinema. It strikes me as too large and ugly. Imagine if Connery had carried a P-38 in From Russia with Love. No offense, but just because a gun's a Walther (and Walthers are pretty much all excellent) doesn't mean it works as a primary carry weapon for Bond on film.

I respectfully disagree with the idea of arming Bond with a .380 PPK. The PPK functions far better as a 7.65, the caliber it was designed for. The .380 versions have overly stiff slides, less refined trigger pulls, and sharper recoil compared to the 7.65. Reliability and accuracy seems better with the 7.65 as well. I seem to recall that "Gun Tests" magazine recommended the PPK in 7.65 but not .380. The late gun-writer Jerry Ahern said much the same thing. As for stopping power, I question how much is really gained from moving from 7.65 to .380, especially with such modern ammo as the Silvertip.

At some point, I'd like to get a 7.65 PPK for myself. I just wish it wasn't so hard to find one with a blued finish!
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Agent 114, Hard to believe I changed someone's mind!

The .32 chambered Walther was originally chosen for Bond because at the time in the 1950's the 7.65 mm round was a Euro standard Police cartridge and was extensively used around the world.

Because Bond is fiction, I hesitate to add that a Walther PPK in .380 can be a bear to shoot. It is a very light pistol and without custom handles, the stock PPk will twist in your hand and the slide can cut you up. This is why the hideous modern PPK redux by S&W has the long and unsightly extended grip "tang".

In real life the .32 PPK is a joy to shoot, with just enough recoil to let you know you have something more powerful than a .22! The real life effectiveness of the .32 round as a "killer" is best left to the endless/fruitless debates on some gun forum.

Bond is best when not taken literally. I always enjoy reading the chapter in "From Russia with Love" that describes the fight in the gypsy camp, Bond kills two Bulgarian's each with a single shot from the hip with his .25 Beretta! Fleming is much better describing the two naked, glittering bodies of the gypsy girls rolling around in the mud and tearing at each other breasts with their teeth! Wow!
    .380 PPK's are rubbish - they were made for the American market because American's have a thing about small calibres hence .45 acp and .357 magnum are still the biggest selling calibres over there. I don't think the power difference between 9mm short and 7.65 mm is really negligible as the bigger bullet looses velocity very quickly indeed. To be down on capacity in such similar ballistics is a bit pointless, not like the difference of full 9mm luger/9X19. Also, 7.65mm is still regarded as one of the most suitable calibres to use with a sound moderator.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

• Coldheart96Coldheart96 Florida , USAPosts: 203MI6 Agent
    Re: PPK,P99 or new Handgun for Bond23?.380 PPK's are rubbish - they were made for the American market because American's have a thing about small calibres hence .45 acp and .357 magnum are still the biggest selling calibres over there.

That may have been true in the 70's and 80's, but today the most common calibre is the 40 S&W. Almost all LEA's carry that now and the Glocks seem to be the most popular.
    Bond: "Who would spend $1 million to kill me?"
    M: "Jealous husbands. Outraged chefs. Humiliated tailors. The list is endless!"
    Sorry - I was talking about handguns in general and not law enforcement. True the Glocks are popular, as is the .40s&w, but many are going back to .45 for it's stopping power. Union County PD and SWAT, NJ for instance (who I have worked with training) use H&K USP's in .45 as standard as 9mm and .40 were not adequate for junkies on crystal meth. Many weapons ordered through Glock are now going to .45 and the reletively new .357sig (auto).

• cdsdsscdsdss JakartaPosts: 144MI6 Agent
    Sorry - I was talking about handguns in general and not law enforcement. True the Glocks are popular, as is the .40s&w, but many are going back to .45 for it's stopping power. Union County PD and SWAT, NJ for instance (who I have worked with training) use H&K USP's in .45 as standard as 9mm and .40 were not adequate for junkies on crystal meth. Many weapons ordered through Glock are now going to .45 and the reletively new .357sig (auto).

True, but the prevalence of those calibers overseas is still hit-and-miss. Peru, for example, wouldn't allow DEA agents to carry .40s no matter how much begging or pleading we did. FBI agents often trade in their Glock 23 .40s for Glock 19 9mms when they're stationed overseas. While it's unlikely that Bond would be shopping for ammo on the local market during one of his assignments, it would be better to arm him with a 9mm, and not something that is going to leave unusual shell-casings laying around (particularly ones that would lead back to him).

Hence I go with the PPS 9mm.
    I agree with your pro-9mm choice. I'm not saying Bond shouldn't have a 9mm, I am just stating that the 7.65mm PPK is the one to have. Bond isn't law enforcement though, and should tailor his calibres and weapon choices to the task at hand. It might call for something powerful or it might call for something small, low velocity with a sound moderator, or it might call for a plastic high-capacity tactical weapon in 9mm or .40. I worked in close protection and generally only ever carried 9mm, though usually something well-worn and very 2nd hand like a Browning or Czech copy, or a CZ 75. 9mm is a world-wide calibre, although in countries like France is strictly forbidden by all but military and law enforcement. I had to carry a .38 snubby out there, and also in Switzerland. .40 is hard to get hold of in much of Asia, so 9mm is almost obligatory.
    I like Bond with the PPK, because it's classic Bond. But I don't care what he picks up and uses along the way.

I ask a friend of mine who works at the FBI lab in Quantico about the most popular calibres in the US based upon weapon sales reported to the ATF. Here's what he provided:

1- 9x17mm (9mm Browning, 9mm Short/Kurz, .380 ACP)
    2 - 9x19mm (9mm Para, 9mm Luger, 9mm NATO)
    3 - .40SW
    4 - .45ACP
    5 - .38 Special
    6 - .357 Magnum
    7 - .44 Magnum

While not mentioned, the .22 cal still seems to be one of the top contenders for all the gun related homicides in the US. I suppose bigger doesn't always mean better. :))
    Are you sure you have those in the right order? Just a quick search over the net and 9mm (luger/9x19) is not only America's largest selling handgun and ammunition, but the rest of the world also. 9mm short seems to be far behind the others you mention. .22 is the largest selling calibre in the US for both rifle and pistol combined.

Yes. They in the right order. Ammunition sales do not necessarily reflect handgun sales.
    I was refering to both handgun sales and ammunition sales. Surely the two are linked - as people tend to shoot their weapons.

But not directly linked. I own about a dozen handguns and four rifles, all in assorted calibres. When I go to the range, I only take two or three of them. Since most of my shooting is done with my 22 cal beretta or my 7.62 PP, that doesn't correlate to the four 9mm pistols or the 38 cal revolver I own. Most people I know own several weapons (I love living in VA) but typically favor one or another weapon for shooting. Hense the skewed numbers between gun sales and ammunition sales.
    I don't mean to dispute your source. However, I have worked with and trained many agencies, private security companies, civilian enthusiasts and worked heavily with the NRA. My work took me to over two hundred civilian ranges over ten states and I've even lectured the ATF and been a guest of the FBI - so I know a bit about America and the people's attitudes to firearms. I don't think I saw anyone using .380's with the exception of leo's practising with back-up weapons. To think it's America's most popular pistol calibre seems a bit bizzare when everyone seems to shoot 9mm or .40 or larger .357/.44 mag revolvers. I do know a few ATF officers in your own Virginia, but it's a little late to call them up, especially after a few years. Perhaps an email later. I think the NRA would be a better souce anyway. If I'm wrong, then appologies.

Based on your pedigree it seems most of your experience is with LEO (Federal and State), which would account for your obsevations of the larger calibres. The larger calibres are way more expensive to shoot nowadays (think $20 for a box of 50 9mm, even more for 40 S&W). Also, over the last 2 yrs there is a definite lack of reloading supplies available in the US to the retail market and supplies for those popular calibres are hard to come by unless you want to pay a premium price (if you can find them). My point to all this is that the smaller calibres are making a comeback because they are more economical for the average shooter. As I mentioned in the previous email those numbers came from the FBI and are only as valid as what's reported to them. Anyway, I think we have digressed from the original thread. Wouldn't you agree?
    My friend has just bought one of these as a back-up piece. I'm going over to the states in January so will get to put it through it's paces... :D

Rug_380_LCP_Com.jpg

It's a Ruger LCP in .380 cal.

Yeah - think I can let it go. Only posted this about a .380 a while back... Doh! Perhaps it's the way things are going. -{

Actually going over there at the end of this month - so will take a closer look at how things might have changed in the past three years or so since my last visit. Is .380 cheap ammunition in the states? The recession might have shifted things.

P238_N_detail_L.jpg

The Sig Sauer P238 seems to be the hot seller for the moment at the local gun shows. If you find your way to the DC area, I'd be happy to buy you a pint.
    Cheers! -{

• PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    This is one cool looking gun....

42626.jpg

beretta px4 storm
  • Mr_IceMr_Ice USPosts: 137MI6 Agent
    .380 was impossible to find for about 2 years. I ordered some from Cabellas in July '09. It finally came in December '09.
    I think that folks buy .380's because it's what they can afford that is bigger than a .22.
    Heck, it'll all kill.

Those arguments about the .380 PPK vs the .32 are pretty common. .32 is more accurate,reliable and kicks less.
    Poppycock. I have both pistols. The .380 is just as accurate and reliable.

Rubbish? An Ulm Walther from the '60s?
    .380 or not, a German/French PPK is not rubbish.

Yes, the .380 has more recoil than the .32.
    And a .38 special has more recoil than the .380
    And a .45 has more recoil than the .38.
    This is not surprising.
    These gun mag reviewers need to take their skirts off. It's not so bad.

Having said all that, Bond shouldn't use a .380 because that's not what Fleming spec'd.

It should be a 7.65mm, just so someone can say ..."seven point six-five millimeter"
    It should also have a silencer on it. At some point. Please...
    Beretta's Px4 Storm. Compact. .40 SW caliber.Light-weight polymer construction and changeable back strap options for the grip. Perfect for discreet carrying under a 3 piece business suit or a tux', reliable and powerful.

PX4-Storm-Sub-Compact-7.jpg

It was a good suggestion all the way back here as well! :))

• PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    Beretta's Px4 Storm. Compact. .40 SW caliber.Light-weight polymer construction and changeable back strap options for the grip. Perfect for discreet carrying under a 3 piece business suit or a tux', reliable and powerful.

PX4-Storm-Sub-Compact-7.jpg

It was a good suggestion all the way back here as well! :))

Aaaa that's where I first learned about it....great looking gun
    It ties in well with Bond, being a Beretta. I don't know anything about it but Beretta's are brilliant quality and it has the look of a secret agent's weapon (whatever that is!)...

While I'm a fan of the PPK, I do enjoy shooting the PP more. Here are some of my favorites.

Walther PP

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

Walther P5

IMG_0535.jpg

Walther P22

IMG_0523.jpg

Walther PPS

IMG_0539.jpg

Beretta Minx

IMG_0528.jpg

Beretta Tomcat

IMG_0547.jpg

MAC Stinger. A nice "Last Ditch" weapon.

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg