PPK,P99 or new Handgun for Bond23?

Comments

• Mr_IceMr_Ice USPosts: 137MI6 Agent
    Aaaaannyhoo...

After handling the p239, I retract my suggestion. Much too big, although very nice looking.
    The PPS has it beat in the size department: also in the ugly department IMO!
    Generally, looks do not matter much to me in a pistol: but this is Bond's sidearm. It should have nice lines.
    The new Ruger LC9 is interesting, but I'm not sure it's, um...expensive enough! :))
    (The damn Sig sure is!)
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    People tend to know about a subject if they are either strongly opposed to it, or deeply for it. The people in the middle tend to know little, but will always lend opinion if asked. Guns will always be one of these subjects. Nobody will sleep better at night knowing British licencing laws are tougher - they are the most controlled and enforced in the world, bar none.

Sir Miles - if you think you could lay your hands on an illegal gun so quickly, then inform the police with the details and help to them off the street.

And it's not "knickers in a twist". Like all responsible shooters I am used to people attacking my sport and probably over-reacted in defense. The thought of UK gun laws becomming tighter is laughable to someone who has had his home inspected and life investigated so thoroughly every time a licence is renewed.

I'm out of this now.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
    Mr_Ice wrote:
    Aaaaannyhoo...

After handling the p239, I retract my suggestion. Much too big, although very nice looking.
    The PPS has it beat in the size department: also in the ugly department IMO!
    Generally, looks do not matter much to me in a pistol: but this is Bond's sidearm. It should have nice lines.
    The new Ruger LC9 is interesting, but I'm not sure it's, um...expensive enough! :))
    (The damn Sig sure is!)

The sig range is almost exclusively chunky both in frame and grip - don't forget Bond has used a sig recently - the P210 at the end of QOS.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Bond should be issued with a Spanish Cucumber as an effective weapon. The're deadly. One of the reasons I never eat salads.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Dalkowski110Dalkowski110 Posts: 1,314MI6 Agent
    "Dalkowski110 - you do get nasty when debating gun laws ? I'd rather leave that confession there....enough said I think."

Check your PM...exaggerating for effect...
    By the way, are you gonna eat that?
    I think I'd like to see Bond use a variety of interesting pick-up weapons throughout the next film. Finding himself unarmed in a situation and taking the weapon off the bad guy is more interesting anyway. That way there is always a case for having the right tool for the job. The variety of assignments and useage is almost impossible to arm for - that's why nobody can agree on much here. :)) This is why it generally comes back down to semi-auto, mid-size frame, 9mm/.40, med-high capacity magazine. That is what covers the bases most.

• james John Smythejames John Smythe Station N, Netherlands Posts: 162MI6 Agent
    Bond should be issued with a Spanish Cucumber as an effective weapon. The're deadly. One of the reasons I never eat salads.

:))

Anyway. Me being a total gun-dummie, the only "experience" being firing my uncle's "Bond" Beretta 1/2 times and having numerous PPK/P99 airsoft models, I am still for the PPK. It just has a sense of refinement and style to it. the PPS might be a very good weapon, I take your word for it, bus it just looks to "busy" for Bond. So, therefore:

licence-to-kill-ppk-alt.jpg

There you go. And, to bleid in with the 50th anniversary, cameo's etc; give it a brown handle...
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    A PPK with Brown stocks...... best idea put forward in a long time!

BRAVO!!!!!!
  • DanielCraig007DanielCraig007 Posts: 588MI6 Agent
    How about the compact Sig Sauer p228?
    Sig Sauer pistols are used by The S.A.S, US Navy Seals, US Secret Service and the F.B.I among others...
    SIG_P228_p1030033.jpg
  • StrykeStryke U.S.A.Posts: 41MI6 Agent
    Sig Sauer pistols are used by The S.A.S, US Navy Seals, US Secret Service and the F.B.I among others...
    SIG_P228_p1030033.jpg

The FBI issues Glocks, not SIGs now. Not a big thing but I just wanted to mention it.

I think Bond should carry the P99 when he is in "Mission Mode" and the PPS as his social pistol and maybe have the PPK as a back-up at some point. Keep it with Walther but the PPK should not be his main weapon of choice. I love the PPK and would not begrudge its return but it really will be out of place in a modern Bond film as the main weapon.
    edited June 2011
    Stryke wrote:
    SIG_P228_p1030033.jpg

The FBI issues Glocks, not SIGs now. Not a big thing but I just wanted to mention it.

I dident say it was the only handgun used by the FBI. New FBI agents are issued the Glock 22 or 23. But there are still agents using the SIG p226 and p228. The Springfield Custom Professional Model 1911A1 pistol is used by FBI regional SWAT teams and the Hostage Rescue Team.
    Anything SIG gets my vote.
    US SWAT teams get pretty much what they want - if it can be justified. The .45 1911 series gets used because of sheer stopping power and accuracy, and at close range in the hands of a professional locked and loaded who needs more than 7/8 rds? I hear it's getting used by a few mainstream police departments as well. Not bad for a 100 year old design!

• Coldheart96Coldheart96 Florida , USAPosts: 203MI6 Agent
    Our issued weapon is the Sig 229. Very accurate and very reliable. Have been carrying it for years. :D
    Bond: "Who would spend $1 million to kill me?"
    M: "Jealous husbands. Outraged chefs. Humiliated tailors. The list is endless!"
    Our issued weapon is the Sig 229. Very accurate and very reliable. Have been carrying it for years. :D

When was it issued to you? What exactly do you work with?
    edited June 2011

When was it issued to you? What exactly do you work with?

Issued in 2001. Originally issued to me in 1992 (P228 then) when I was in the US Army as a CI Agent. Now I work as a civilian for the US Gov't.
    What calibre are you issued with? I'm guessing 2001 would have seen you with .40. I'm pretty impressed with .357sig myself after testing it on the range.

Sorry, 9mm both times. DoD mandates NATO standards for their sidearms. Of course, there are always exceptions, such as SOCOM.
    I'm down with 9mm - I carried 9mm Brownings and sigs, and the odd 7.65 and 9mm short ppk in service, and 9mm on security contracts. Apart from .45 once, where the contractor had a deal with Colt for the M4 carbines and got the pistols to go with it, I never carried anything else. On the range I've used about everything there is... and bloody loved it! :D
    9mm seems to becoming unpopular compared to ten years ago, but for all round use it's got to be the best.

• Mr_IceMr_Ice USPosts: 137MI6 Agent
    I too am down with the 9.
    I'm 'almost' 'sort of' about to buy a pps 9mm. Can't decide, there isn't really anything else that size that's close the pps that I like. I can't understand why Deaver gave Bond a .40 pps, but that should probably be another thread.

On an unrelated note, I'd like to disqualify my claims of reliablity in my PPK 9mmk which I made somewhere on this board.
    Damn thing had 6 fail to eject and 2 straight up jams today. 600 rounds with 0 problems then today everything went south.
    Still fun as hell. :v

Looks like it's a vodka tonic and some ejector spring replacement-ing for me...
  • gussguss South Wales, UKPosts: 195MI6 Agent
    just had some good info, Bond will be using a PK380
  • Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 387MI6 Agent
    I'm partial to my M9 Steyr, but it's a bit bulky for a social gun..or BBQ gun as we call them here in the South.
    SteyrM9.JPG
    "I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
    'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    I too like the idea of Bond using the P99 for serious stuff, and either the PPS or PPK in the concealed carry or back up role.
    guss wrote:
    just had some good info, Bond will be using a PK380

Can you back that up? Does your source have a solid connection?

Ammo08 wrote:
    I'm partial to my M9 Steyr, but it's a bit bulky for a social gun..or BBQ gun as we call them here in the South.
    SteyrM9.JPG

Looks good. I like the high position of the grip in relation to the frame, like the weapon will nestle nicely between thumb and trigger finger - bringing the sight-line down and keeping the working parts lower whilst cycling. I bet it's pretty accurate fired rapidly.

It's really very accurate and very controllable. It has a little more angle to the grip and took some getting used to after shooting 1911s for years. I can carry it very well in the winter, with a coat or jacket to hide it,,,but summer wear is a little harder.
    "I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
    'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)
    Ammo08 wrote:
    It's really very accurate and very controllable. It has a little more angle to the grip and took some getting used to after shooting 1911s for years. I can carry it very well in the winter, with a coat or jacket to hide it,,,but summer wear is a little harder.

Just interested - do you work in Law Enforcement or Security? Or do you just carry a pistol for personal protection?

I carry for personal protection. I spent close to 30 years in the USAF and Air National Guard but Uncle Sam gave me what they wanted me to have there. :)
  • PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    Sig is a great gun...gets my vote
  • 007storm007storm The NetherlandsPosts: 345MI6 Agent
    I would like to see the PPS for Carte Blance.
    http://www.walther-pps.com/
    My James Bond Collection:
    Antens007Archive
  • Dalkowski110Dalkowski110 Posts: 1,314MI6 Agent
    I'm wondering...with the "Daniel Craig at the Rifle Range with a PPK" (emphasis added) thread if they're not going to try and reintroduce it. The 1930's-1960's Walther as well as 1970's Interarms PPK/S's were fine guns, after all, despite the dubious reputation of the Walther/Smith & Wesson PPK. Would I like to see something more along the lines a SIG? Yeah (although Ammo08, your referencing the Steyr M9 is also a terrific idea...I've fired one of those on two occassions; first time out my target looked like someone hit it with a few rounds of 00 buck, though I did get used to the grip and did significantly better the second time). But does it look like we might see the PPK introduced? Possible. But of course, this being the Bond movie franchise, I'm guessing they'll work in a second, more modern pistol he's actually issued.
    By the way, are you gonna eat that?