Bond song...

Comments

• Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    edited October 2012
    I like it! The music is beautiful and the lyrics are OK (I think they suit the movie just fine).
    Gassy Man wrote:
    It's good, but it's an Adele song much more than a James Bond song -- take away the lilting Bond notes in the background, and it could be just another song on her CD. The lyrics don't strike me as consistently strong and the rhymes and images are cockeyed, but she does a good job smoothing over them. I don't think it measures up to anything in the 60s, but it beats a lot of the songs in the 80s and 90s and certainly is significantly better than the theme song to "Quantum of Solace."
    I've never listened to any Adele's CD, but I've listened to Bond soundtracks a lot and I think that this song is a real James Bond song.

I remember that after listening to "Another way to die" I thought: "Now, I'll listen to it again and maybe the next time I will like it". On the other side, I've liked "Skyfall" since the very first time.

And, as someone has pointed out before, this song will be perfect for the initial credits sequence.
    I was forced to listen to Adele months before she exploded in popularity here in the U.S. -- I never doubted she could sing a Bond song, though I was pulling for Amy Winehouse. Both have more throaty, "mature" voices than their contemporaries. Having heard pretty much all of Adele's songs, I can say this one is pretty much standard for her. What makes it a Bond song are the orchestrations in the background. Take them out, and this is nothing remarkable for Adele. (Set Fire to the Rain has as much of a Bond vibe as this song does, minus the orchestrations.) Is it a Bond song? Sure. But I still think it's more of an Adele song. For me, it falls in the upper half of all Bond songs, but it's no Goldfinger or You Only Live Twice. It's closest in spirit to Diamonds are Forever or The Spy Who Loved Me. That said, as I have maintained, it's going to be a huge hit, mostly because Adele is so popular right now that I can't see Skyfall being anything else. I guarantee it will be nominated for an Oscar.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Having finally been able to listen to a clean recording on decent audio equipment my verdict is I love it. IMO one of the five best theme songs ever. That is a BOND song!
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I like the song, and I agree it's even better when played over clips from the film. I'm getting more anxious with every clip from the movie that I see, and November 9 can't come soon enough for me!
    Moore Than wrote:
    Here is a new clip from Sony Pictures Austria showcasing Adele's Skyfall theme. Could this be part of the Skyfall music video? Includes some new footage from the film.

Wow. Juxtaposing the footage with the song like that adds an entirely new dimension. This looks like a remarkable film, regardless of being Bond.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Roger Mo'Roger Mo' Posts: 33MI6 Agent
    So relieved that it isn't another mess like the Alicia Keys/Jack White mash-up! I like it - it is definitely a step in the right direction. It isn't a mindblower. If you were to compare it other Bond themes similar to this (the moody female pieces) then it's in my top three, after the great Gladys Knight's 'Licence to Kill' and Garbage's 'TWINE'. I may be wrong, but I think the producers may have listened to all of us, because this film seems to be definitely putting right all the crap that was QoS. I can't wait. Blackleiter - you've got to wait Nov 9? Pity...!
  • TurnkeyTurnkey Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    Sounds like some of the older themes. Gotta say overall weak.
  • YouknowthenameYouknowthename Carver Media GroupPosts: 500MI6 Agent
    Turnkey wrote:
    Sounds like some of the older themes. Gotta say overall weak.

Agreed - this song doesn't seem to be going anywhere, it's just Adele repeating the chorus mostly. Disappointing :#
  • GordoLeiterGordoLeiter Posts: 462MI6 Agent
    My fart sounds better than her
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    after you all see the movie all your bitching will stop -{ :D
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

Hey this wouldnt be the first time a Bond movie had a terrible theme. Goldfinger doesnt have the best of lyrics ya know.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,608Chief of Staff
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

Hey this wouldnt be the first time a Bond movie had a terrible theme. Goldfinger doesnt have the best of lyrics ya know.

But that's only your opinion...doesn't mean that others will agree with you...
    YNWA 97
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    pfft call your self a Bond fan :v :D
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    A pity indeed! I'm considering moving to the U.K.!!!
    Roger Mo' wrote:
    So relieved that it isn't another mess like the Alicia Keys/Jack White mash-up! I like it - it is definitely a step in the right direction. It isn't a mindblower. If you were to compare it other Bond themes similar to this (the moody female pieces) then it's in my top three, after the great Gladys Knight's 'Licence to Kill' and Garbage's 'TWINE'. I may be wrong, but I think the producers may have listened to all of us, because this film seems to be definitely putting right all the crap that was QoS. I can't wait. Blackleiter - you've got to wait Nov 9? Pity...!
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Got to hear the entire theme with good sound. It's a classic style Bond theme. Is it up there with "Goldfinger" "YOLT" or "TB". Of course not, but it's more than decent and will do a great job during the tiltles to set the mood.
  • TurnkeyTurnkey Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

I'm sure the movie will be great, the theme is just unimpressive.
    my dad taking a **** sounds better
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    Count on good old AJB to give a broad spectrum of opinion---from the sublime to the ridiculous 8-) I love the song; downloaded it on iTunes and listened to it five times in a row. It's moody and dark, with proper Bond cues and a theme of apocalyptic romance. Bringing on Adele was a good move. Like Sir Paul McCartney, she'll be doing a Bond theme in every live performance she gives B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent

yeah, GL, we got it that you don't like the song.
    Putting your opinion (and it's not really more) into toilet comparison makes you sound a desperate little choild having lost his sucker.

I have mixed feelings about what I've heard so far, but I've been so busy yesterday that I did not hear it in full length yet.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent

:))

Btw, I'm not laughing at your loose attempt at humour, but the hypocrisy of the style of your post history old bean
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:

:))

Btw, I'm not laughing at your loose attempt at humour, but the hypocrisy of the style of your post history old bean

+1
    Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
  • WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    A pity indeed! I'm considering moving to the U.K.!!!
    Roger Mo' wrote:

Just take a well placed holiday around the 26th October! :)
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    The Sun is conducting a poll on what it calls the "Battle of the Bond songs: Adele's Skyfall vs Muse's Supremacy". The article features Adele's lyrics video and a fan made alternate trailer of Skyfall featuring Supremacy.

Battle of the Bond songs: Adele's Skyfall vs Muse's Supremacy
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/4573959/Battle-of-the-Bond-songs-Adeles-Skyfall-vs-Muses-Supremacy.html
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • Smiert-SpionamSmiert-Spionam Posts: 318MI6 Agent
    I've never been a fan of Adele. Would have prefered Muse due to my taste in music. However she's done a very solid job with the new Bond song here and I actually quite like it. Sure it'll never beat 'You Know My Name' IMO but it sound like a classic Connery era tune and what's wrong with that? -{
    Smiert Spionam
    I've never been a fan of Adele. Would have prefered Muse due to my taste in music. However she's done a very solid job with the new Bond song here and I actually quite like it. Sure it'll never beat 'You Know My Name' IMO but it sound like a classic Connery era tune and what's wrong with that? -{

My sentiments entirely. -{
  • Smoke_13Smoke_13 Kitchener Ont CanadaPosts: 285MI6 Agent
    Just had a chance to finally listen to Adele's Skyfall from start to finish. In my opinion it is the perfect tribute song to a franchise that is celebrating it's 50th anniversary. I believe it's a great "nod of acknowledgement" to the era that started it all.

My only real critique is that it feels like it should end about 45 seconds before it does, but still an excellent Bond song.

Many people will say, "Hey, it's my opinion and I don't like this song, and a persons opinions can't ever be wrong." Well, in this specific instance if you don't like this song, -your opinions are wrong. :))
  • CEOofawesomeCEOofawesome America Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    The song that we will get is by Adele, I like it, but that's me.
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?client=mv-google&v=7HKoqNJtMTQ&rdm=mbcvux6ij
    I believe that is the link to her song there. It is called let the sky fall.
    I live a wonderfully geeky life. James Bond deloreans and lord of the rings.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Am I still the only one that is annoyed by her not pronouncing many words correctly?
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Red IndianRed Indian BostonPosts: 427MI6 Agent
    I think it's the best one they've done in YEARS. I also love the nods to the Bond theme; I think that's what has been missing in the recent ones. They tried to go too modern and sometimes just plain crazy - Madonna???

That being said; I still think they should have let Dame Shirley take a crack at it!

VERY MUCH looking forward to the film. I have the oddest feeling this will be one of the best ever!
    Jarvio wrote:
    Am I still the only one that is annoyed by her not pronouncing many words correctly?

I actually thought this years ago, with her earlier songs; I used to think she was half-cut in the studio. It's just her style and by and large people don't seem to care.

You're obviously a stickler for enunciation! I can appreciate that. -{
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:

Yes.... she's got a real cockney accent... and I don't even notice the words you mention.... I just hear the song! :))
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    So, what is your accent, Lex :v
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!