Bond song...

Who would you like to sing the new Bond song? Would you like a classic approach or a more modern one like QOS?

I think this song by Florence and the Machine would be absolutely perfect if it had a slight bond rift in parts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1otiuQTUYc

Comments

• Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    Kevolution wrote:
    Who would you like to sing the new Bond song? Would you like a classic approach or a more modern one like QOS?

I think this song by Florence and the Machine would be absolutely perfect if it had a slight bond rift in parts

Does anyone think the QoS song was a success? I'm thinking we should never try that again.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    edited November 2011
    Well, looking through my eyes, I want a classical song, strong female voice, great orchestration and lyrics I can understand. Looking through the producers eyes, I imagine they want to sell some records (cd's, digital downloads) so they probably want something more contemporary, unfortunately, their last few tries have been horrible. Perhaps, something romantic with some popular singer, along the lines of Nobody Does it Better, would be a compromise.
    Well, looking through my eyes, I want a classical song, strong female voice, great orchestration and lyrics I can understand. Looking through the producers eyes, I imagine they want to sell some records (cd's, digital downloads) so they probably want something more contemporary, unfortunately, their last few tries have been horrible. Perhaps, something romantic with a some popular singer, along the lines of Nobody Does it Better, would be a compromise.

Thankfully, Adele being in the running mean someone who is BOTH classy and popular has a chance, potentially pleasing almost everyone.
  • mediapigmediapig Los AngelesPosts: 87MI6 Agent
    Personally, I have been waiting a while for the Killers to do a Bond theme. I think they would be great for it, but that being said... Both of CR and QoS had male heavy vocals (yes, QoS had Alisha Keyes but I felt Jack White's vocals were more prominent.) So maybe it's time for a more classic female vocal heavy piece? Lady GaGa could be different, or perhaps Christina Aguilera? Neither are my favorite artists, but I do think they could do something interesting.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,808MI6 Agent
    mediapig wrote:
    Personally, I have been waiting a while for the Killers to do a Bond theme. I think they would be great for it, but that being said... Both of CR and QoS had male heavy vocals (yes, QoS had Alisha Keyes but I felt Jack White's vocals were more prominent.) So maybe it's time for a more classic female vocal heavy piece? Lady GaGa could be different, or perhaps Christina Aguilera? Neither are my favorite artists, but I do think they could do something interesting.

I would like something more classy and classic. I`m a fan of Katie Melua, she has so much style. Listen to her song "The Flood", it sounds very Bondian to me.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,610Chief of Staff
    Mr Beech wrote:
    Does anyone think the QoS song was a success? I'm thinking we should never try that again.

I do....but I know I'm in the minority in thinking so.... :#

As for Florence and the Machine.....she's my favourite current artist and I'd love to hear her record a Bond theme.....she certainly has the vocal range and hers would be an interesting take on it -{
    YNWA 97
  • mediapigmediapig Los AngelesPosts: 87MI6 Agent
    Florence and the Machine is another great choice... obviously, it is unlikely that production will go with a lesser known artist, so it has to be someone with just the right amount of exposure, and I think they would fit the bill perfectly, and their musical style fits too.
  • GaddGeneGaddGaddGeneGadd Posts: 189MI6 Agent
    Either Adele or Florence & the machine would be a great choice. You know they are going to go with someone popular, so here is hoping they pick someone with cross appeal talent. I loved " You know my name, but AWTD was just awful. They wasted Alecia Keys completely.
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    Mr Beech wrote:
    Kevolution wrote:

I did. I thought it had a raw grittiness to it that matched the film. And I liked the film as well.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
    Mr Beech wrote:
    Kevolution wrote:

I did. I thought it had a raw grittiness to it that matched the film. And I liked the film as well.

I like the film, but the one word I could use to describe the song is "ugly." It didn't have a flow, it had a broken non-melody thing, they didn't harmonize, and it had these banging instrument explosions that happened each time the singers' voices started. The slower parts between the chorus were a smoother sound, but then BAM! Chorus. It was just lots of those heavy amounts of sudden instrument entry and then it would go again in just this messy banging style.

I won't say it is bad, but it is not Bond and it sure is ugly.
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    Mr Beech wrote:
    Mr Beech wrote:

I like the film, but the one word I could use to describe the song is "ugly." It didn't have a flow, it had a broken non-melody thing, they didn't harmonize, and it had these banging instrument explosions that happened each time the singers' voices started. The slower parts between the chorus were a smoother sound, but then BAM! Chorus. It was just lots of those heavy amounts of sudden instrument entry and then it would go again in just this messy banging style.

I agree with your analysis, but not your conclusion. I like the fact the song is chaotic and "broken" sounding. But bear in mind I come from a sort of punk/postpunk background. Years of listening to bands like the Velvet Underground no doubt has warped my sensibilities. Of course, I also love far more melodious stuff like Bach and Bill Evans, for whatever that's worth. Diverse tastes=big music collections=my 1,000 or so CDs.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • FatsnbulFatsnbul Prospect, KentuckyPosts: 79MI6 Agent
    Robbie Williams. Love that Tom Jones sound.
    Mr Beech wrote:

I agree with your analysis, but not your conclusion. I like the fact the song is chaotic and "broken" sounding. But bear in mind I come from a sort of punk/postpunk background. Years of listening to bands like the Velvet Underground no doubt has warped my sensibilities. Of course, I also love far more melodious stuff like Bach and Bill Evans, for whatever that's worth. Diverse tastes=big music collections=my 1,000 or so CDs.

Make no mistake, my tastes are diverse. Every genre is represented in my music collection (well I am sure there is something obscure that isn't there, but I have from Bambi to Bond scores to Jay-Z to Jimi Hendrix to Blondie to Take That etc. etc.). I just think that song has little place anywhere except in the context of watching those opening titles. That is the only scenario that it doesn't bother me too much in because of the visuals. The song in any other place doesn't shine at all for me, and I wouldn't have picked it for Bond, but it isn't like I mute that part of QoS, it synchs with the titles for a good enough movie moment.
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    Kevolution wrote:

Dame Shirley Bassey :007) -{

And definitely a more 'classic' Bond theme full of big, bold brass notes.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
  • WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    It's been mentioned before about Joss Stone being given the job. I was sceptical at first, but then I heard this, quite impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8n7XNUuMXE

Anyone but that bloody Adele, every ounce of my being would crumble whilst sat through the first 5 minutes of the film, having to listen to her.

Regards,
    Wilde -{
    Mr Beech wrote:

So .... not bad, but ugly.
    Can you be so kind and give us examples of songs that are ugly, but good?
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Mr Beech wrote:
    Kevolution wrote:

Yep, I loved the QoS theme.... gritty and dirty riffs, which suited the movie very well IMO.

I think Adele would be brilliant - but it looks like it's not just her vocal chords that have taken a battering, apparently she has/is suffering from anxiety and depression.

Looks like the fame thing has got to her... however, I do hope she makes a recovery soon.

Michael Bublé would do a great song too.... listening to the 'cry me a river' track he did... Big, bold and brassy....a great combination -{ ;)
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Thomas-CrownThomas-Crown London, KnightsbridgePosts: 156MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    Mr Beech wrote:
    Kevolution wrote:

Yep, I loved the QoS theme.... gritty and dirty riffs, which suited the movie very well IMO.

I think Adele would be brilliant - but it looks like it's not just her vocal chords that have taken a battering, apparently she has/is suffering from anxiety and depression.

Looks like the fame thing has got to her... however, I do hope she makes a recovery soon.

Michael Bublé would do a great song too.... listening to the 'cry me a river' track he did... Big, bold and brassy....a great combination -{ ;)

Michael Bublé would be an inspired choice.
    Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
  • Alec 006Alec 006 Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 211MI6 Agent
    Here's a curve ball for the topic. Marina and the Diamonds, as seen here…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdOP_m1j9s
    Okay now ignore this particular song, but picture her image and the range of her rather weird but captivating voice on a Bond-style composition.
    -{ -{ -{ -{ -{ … still to make the CR six Vespers in one sitting, after another fiver at the weekend.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I agree with you that Alicia Keys was completely wasted on Another Way to Die. In my opinion she has a terrific voice and could pull off a great Bond theme song. But Another Way to Die wasn't it!
    Either Adele or Florence & the machine would be a great choice. You know they are going to go with someone popular, so here is hoping they pick someone with cross appeal talent. I loved " You know my name, but AWTD was just awful. They wasted Alecia Keys completely.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Lexi wrote:
    Mr Beech wrote:

Michael Bublé would be an inspired choice.

Not a Bublé fan. He sounds like boyish/nasily/arrogantly non-chalant version of Frank Sinatra. He has a talented voice, but I just don't think I like the youth in it. Although I really like his version of "Sway", but it isn't really a theme. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmYMkl1Grzc

I'd love Adele, Duffy, or Joss Stone most. Florence and the Machine would be pretty great too. I'm leaning towards hearing female vocals again, as no suitable man's voice is coming to mind for my interest.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    I do find it odd that one can think of a theme without knowing about the pts, or how it's suited. Just can't see how Adele can be writing it without knowing that, or maybe she's been briefed. Even so, it's how the hands go around Moore as he parachutes that makes the tinkley piano so wonderful on NDIB.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I do find it odd that one can think of a theme without knowing about the pts, or how it's suited. Just can't see how Adele can be writing it without knowing that, or maybe she's been briefed. Even so, it's how the hands go around Moore as he parachutes that makes the tinkley piano so wonderful on NDIB.

My guess is that they give some guidelines as to what the theme is for to do a demo and if they want that artist based on that, they go into full production with the song and rewrites later on when they are ready for the opening and syncing. But who knows.
  • Martin AstonMartin Aston LondonPosts: 408MI6 Agent
    Just read this over on the MI6 HQ Website
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=9811&t=mi6&s=news

Noel Gallagher linked to 'Skyfall' title song
    Skyfall (Bond 23) - 19-11-11

According to a tip sent to MI6, and a report published by The Sun two days later, former Oasis star Noel Gallagher might be penning the title song to the new James Bond film "Skyfall".

His critically acclaimed and top-selling debut album "Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds" has put him back in the frame after splitting from Oasis.

A usual anonymous (and probably made-up) 'source' told The Sun: "They're going to talk about potentially writing and performing the song for next year's new Bond film. Nothing is signed or official, it's just being discussed at the moment."

The paper claim Gallagher is "set to meet Bond producer Michael G. Wilson in LA — could use a song he has already written, called Freaky Teeth. The track has been played a few times at gigs but never released."

But in 2008 Noel said of the tune: "I listened back to it thinking, 'That'd make a **** great Bond theme'. He admitted the title was "not very Bond-esque". But he reckoned it was time a British act recorded a Bond theme song again. It's a bit of a piss-take that the greatest British agent of all time has to be soundtracked by a bunch of Americans."
    FREAKY TEETH?!!

He is absolutely right, its not very Bondian. Could be a shoe-in for the next Austin Powers movie, though....

Seriously, I doubt this rumour.`
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    Adele would be fab but this is such a cliche now.
    Lady Gaga is fab!

:)) :)) :))
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Wilde wrote:
    It's been mentioned before about Joss Stone being given the job. I was sceptical at first, but then I heard this, quite impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8n7XNUuMXE

Anyone but that bloody Adele, every ounce of my being would crumble whilst sat through the first 5 minutes of the film, having to listen to her.

Regards,
    Wilde -{

NOT Joss Stone.... sorry but she is to me, what you think of Adele. Urgh. *shudder* - utterly cringeworthyl

Noel Gallagher.... now that is an interesting thought....
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond +++ Classified +++Posts: 569MI6 Agent
    Despite being a big fan Noel's music, I do not believe he would be the right choice for a Bond tune.

But then again - who knows?

Having an english band do the tune again would be fantastic!!
    The name's Bond_James_Bond
  • WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    I agree, I don't think it would work. Shame though, as Oasis are the best.

Regards,
    Wilde -{
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,610Chief of Staff
    Just read this over on the MI6 HQ Website
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=9811&t=mi6&s=news

And all reported in press today....

The song isn't bad at all...it could be re-worked very well...but I very much doubt this will be used...here is the song in full - Freaky Teeth
    YNWA 97