Bond song...

Comments

• Alec 006Alec 006 Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 211MI6 Agent
    I am with Zaphod here, using Shirley Bassey would be a sentimental mistake. With the amount of decent thrillers competing with Bond nowadays, and the shot in the arm the franchise received from Bourne, it needs to keep moving forward, fresh, modern and gritty… and as great as she was for her time Bassey is neither fresh nor modern.
    A relatively unknown new artist is the key to the theme, someone on the pulse of 2012. It's all very well appealing to Bond fans of old, and preaching to the converted, but what JB really really needs is the new generation to get onboard.
    :007) -{

zaphod wrote:
    Red Indian wrote:
    Without question it should be Shirley Bassey! The timing could not be more perfect; what a great way to honor John Barry!

She is great, and could of course do a fantastic job in her sleep. I feel that Bond needs to avoid nostalgia and do something new and vibrant that is disconnected from its past though.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    zaphod wrote:
    She is great, and could of course do a fantastic job in her sleep. I feel that Bond needs to avoid nostalgia and do something new and vibrant that is disconnected from its past though.

Thinking about the last decade in terms of nostalgia and also doing something new and vibrant that is disconnected from the past.

In terms of nostalgia, DAD and QoS contained numerous homages to previous films. In terms of doing something new and vibrant that is disconnected from the past, CR contained the re-boot with DC as Bond. For me, CR is easily the best film which may suggest that I would rather avoid nostalgia. However, the homages in DAD and QoS worked pretty well in general (not much else worked in either film), IMO.

Now we have Skyfall the 50th anniversary film. Rather difficult to avoid nostalgia I'd say. Which makes Dame Shirley the ideal candidate for the title song. Bond 24 should be the time to start looking more to the future and less to the past.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    I don't see how using her is going to be some big dated step back like some seem to be thinking. It is the anniversary. It is the perfect time for a new theme with a voice that is closely associated with the series. I won't be hurt if she doesn't come back as there are some brilliant artists out there, but it would be an awesome treat to hear her voice belt out as Craig's silhouette appears for the opening titles.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    i think having dam shirley back for SF would be great, maybe as a duet with someone, but please, no duffy ideas ffs.

although another way to die is a grower for me, the reject bassey tune for QoS was, imho, a better tune. maybe she was rejected as BB was trying to save her for this year? :))
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Mr Beech wrote:
    I don't see how using her is going to be some big dated step back like some seem to be thinking. It is the anniversary. It is the perfect time for a new theme with a voice that is closely associated with the series. I won't be hurt if she doesn't come back as there are some brilliant artists out there, but it would be an awesome treat to hear her voice belt out as Craig's silhouette appears for the opening titles.
    Have to agree.

She had a very successful critically acclaimed album in 2010 (and a few bars from the Arnold-composed No Good About Goodbye* make it into the QoS soundtrack) that drew contemporary artists in to write for her, she performed Glastonbury in 07 (including a Bond medley, of course, complete with Moonraker); she's a legend. Sentimental mistake? I don't think so. Contemporary nod to the history of the series without hackney-eyed references to past films (<ahemDieAnotherDayahem>)? Yes.

Will I be crushed if she doesn't do it? No. There are some brilliant artists out there, many British, but - for a UK public anyway - Bassey would be far from laughed at if chosen.

*And they went with that, that...shouty thing. That collection of screaming and nails-down-a-blackboard torture from White and Keys, all about Bond poppin' da gangstas 4 da Maj. Yeesh.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    :))

... still preferred it to Madonna.
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Mr Beech wrote:
    Have to agree.

She had a very successful critically acclaimed album in 2010 (and a few bars from the Arnold-composed No Good About Goodbye* make it into the QoS soundtrack) that drew contemporary artists in to write for her, she performed Glastonbury in 07 (including a Bond medley, of course, complete with Moonraker); she's a legend. Sentimental mistake? I don't think so. Contemporary nod to the history of the series without hackney-eyed references to past films (<ahemDieAnotherDayahem>)? Yes.

Will I be crushed if she doesn't do it? No. There are some brilliant artists out there, many British, but - for a UK public anyway - Bassey would be far from laughed at if chosen.

*And they went with that, that...shouty thing. That collection of screaming and nails-down-a-blackboard torture from White and Keys, all about Bond poppin' da gangstas 4 da Maj. Yeesh.

I agree with a lot of what you say, Ms. Bassey is still making great records. My reticence is with the association with Bond, the sixties etc. I really hope that the homage element is kept to the absolute minimum. When Bond first hit our screens many commentators stress how fresh and modern the films were.

However if it were a choice between Ms.B and something like that desperate to be hip disaster that was the Alicia Keys thing I'd be with you in a flash. The QOS theme was like the worst embarrassing ' Dad-Dancing' imaginable.
    Predator wrote:
    :))

... still preferred it to Madonna.

You must give me the name of your otologist. :D
  • DanielCraig007DanielCraig007 Posts: 588MI6 Agent
    Adele gets my vote
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,838MI6 Agent
    Adele will sing at the Grammy awards in LA on sunday, according to newspapers. a good sign, I say.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Will Karl Largerfeld be there ? :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,838MI6 Agent

Hope not - she might destroy her voise again!
    Number24 wrote:

Hope not - she might destroy her voise again!
    :)) :)) :))

He said Lana Del Rey looks like a modern singer, despite the fact that the biggest part of her styling appeal is looking like a 60s icon.

lana-del-rey-screen-grab.jpg
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    I'm with the Dame Shirley Bassey contingent ...

This has been reinforced having just seen Sir Tom Jones sing 'Thunderball' brilliantly, live, at the opening of the BAFTA Awards ....

Either of these two would do for me ... It is an Anniversary and should be marked as such
    Lady Rose wrote:
    This has been reinforced having just seen Sir Tom Jones sing 'Thunderball' brilliantly, live, at the opening of the BAFTA Awards ....
    Brilliant, wasn't it? A nice montage in the back and a fleeting glimpse of Dame Judi looking so immensely proud among the acting elite.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Brilliant, wasn't it? A nice montage in the back and a fleeting glimpse of Dame Judi looking so immensely proud among the acting elite.

Dame Judi looked beaming during the montage and it was lovely to see. She is obviously very fond of her Bond work.

Sir Tom was terrific. Voice still as strong as ever. They make those Welsh singers with a lifetime guarentee ... :))
  • Roger Mo'Roger Mo' Posts: 33MI6 Agent
    I posted months ago that Sir Tom should get one more chance at singing a theme tune. Hearing him tonight singing one of my favourite Bond themes has just reaffirmed it. Shirley Bassey has had three goes now. I think she singing the theme for Skyfall would be cliched and would set the 'reboot' back. Vote Sir Tom! THUN-DER-BALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!! Brilliant!
    Sir Tom himself has nominated Adele saying she would be the perfect choice.

Tom tells Adele to do Bond theme.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/4125316/Tom-Jones-tells-Adele-to-do-James-Bond-theme.html
  • oscar rubiooscar rubio Madrid (Spain)Posts: 286MI6 Agent
    I agree with you
    That montage showed just about everyone except Judi Dench. :))

Great performance.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Didn't see much of Timothy Dalton, either. Still loved it, though.
    Mr Beech wrote:
    That montage showed just about everyone except Judi Dench. :))

Great performance.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Very nice, thanks for posting MR.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters

Very, very cool. Thank you, sir! :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Well, so much for Adele. Accordingly, she's decided to take a four- to five-year break to focus on having a life:

http://www.spinner.com/2012/02/14/adele-break/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D135541
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Well, so much for Adele. Accordingly, she's decided to take a four- to five-year break to focus on having a life:

Four or five years does seem rather too long. Perhaps Adele just wants to lead as normal a life as possible. The recent passing of Amy Winehouse and Whitney Houston cannot have gone unnoticed. If Adele is wise she will choose a different path to them.
    I want her to do another album in 2013 at the latest :( Four or five years is forever. This reminds me of Duffy, who decided on taking hiatus, though she is supposedly working on something again since last fall.

Perhaps she will do the theme still. It is just one track that she seemed to have hinted at already working on months ago, so it wouldn't be tons more time to finalize and do a video.

Oh well. As long as she doesn't decide she likes her home life for good and retires! :))
    She's confirmed in her blog that it was an off-the-cuff remark ...

Adele plays down 'five-year hiatus' remark
    unitedkingdom.png
    She's confirmed in her blog that it was an off-the-cuff remark ...

Adele plays down 'five-year hiatus' remark

Good. Now is not the time to stop!