The Rant Box

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,615Chief of Staff
    I'm guessing you're a Liverpool fan, Sir Miles. :D

Yes I am.

But I haven't defended him...so what's your point ? He will get a lengthy ban - about 9 games I reckon - even though the FA have set a precedent by taking NO ACTION when Jermain Defoe bit Javier Mascherano.
    As I've already stated we all have different standards,
    Some think Bitting an oponent os OK, Some (like me)
    think it's a little nasty. Still each to their own. So long
    as it doesn't interfere with the high standard of sportsmanship
    and Role models for future generations, Who cares.

Whom thinks biting is ok ?

High standard of sportsmanship ? Typical bollox quote from someone whom has no idea what they are talking about - lets make a comical quip and then flounce out X-(
    But I will confess I know nothing about football, don't follow a team
    Haven't watched a full game ( Except world cups) in years. So I'm
    going to stop now. The world of football is Simply too rough for
    a delicate soul like me.

You don't have to confess that - it's bleedin' obvious.

I'm still waiting for your list of "people lining up to defend him" - or are you one of these people that spout nonsense as fact and then leave when challenged on it ?
    YNWA 97
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,287MI6 Agent
    Yay, alright, simmer down Sir Miles.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Damn, It's like a Dog with a Bone with you. ( I was going to put an
    angry face here, But I'm too nice )
    I don't like the term "Bleeding " on the subject of biting, ( I get a bit
    queasy )
    I though you'd be used to my Posts by now.
    " are you one of these people that spout nonsense as fact and then leave when challenged on it ?"
    so far On AJB. YES.
    " lets make a comical quip and then flounce out "
    Yea, that the way I roll. ( and I think you'll find it's usually more than one quip )

So I've learned a valuable lesson, I'll NEVER give an opinion on Blokes running
    about kicking a Ball ever again. ( Well not here on AJB ) I'll quietly slink away
    Tail between my legs, and get back to My chess club.
    Although it's about time to put up the Maypole.
    ( this is not a euphemism )
    and begin the flouncing around it. My own fault for trying to hang out with
    the rough Boys. My mother did warn Me.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

Why ? Why should I ? Are you saying it's alright for people to come here and make false accusations about others just because they think its funny or to try and make themselves look clever ?

TP made accusations and suppositions...I asked him to back up his 'facts' - he hasn't done...in 'fact' he has made them up just to try and make a point....I think thats cowardly and pathetic.
    YNWA 97
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Hey, Grany Miles,

TP is one of the good guys. And he's genuinely funny.

I think that a well deserved 2 weeks ban will be enough for him :D ;)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Damn, It's like a Dog with a Bone with you. ( I was going to put an
    angry face here, But I'm too nice )
    I don't like the term "Bleeding " on the subject of biting, ( I get a bit
    queasy )
    I though you'd be used to my Posts by now.
    " are you one of these people that spout nonsense as fact and then leave when challenged on it ?"
    so far On AJB. YES.
    " lets make a comical quip and then flounce out "
    Yea, that the way I roll. ( and I think you'll find it's usually more than one quip )

So I've learned a valuable lesson, I'll NEVER give an opinion on Blokes running
    about kicking a Ball ever again. ( Well not here on AJB ) I'll quietly slink away
    Tail between my legs, and get back to My chess club.
    Although it's about time to put up the Maypole.
    ( this is not a euphemism )
    and begin the flouncing around it. My own fault for trying to hang out with
    the rough Boys. My mother did warn Me.

I am like a dog with a bone...I should bury you in the back yard.

If you are going to come on this thread and rant...then do so...do not come here with lies and stupid arse comments to try and make your argument/rant seem better/clever...

I'm still waiting for this list of people that are defending him...but we both know that that was a bullshit line you used to try and 'beef up' your point to which there isn't a shred of proof - and THAT'S what really makes me rant X-(
    YNWA 97
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Hey, Grany Miles,

TP is one of the good guys. And he's genuinely funny.

I think that a well deserved 2 weeks ban will be enough for him :D ;)

Mmmmm...remember...you can't teach your Granny to suck eggs B-)

I genuinely have no grievance with TP other than the lies he's used here...I thought him better than that and I was wrong...and THAT'S even more annoying....
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

Why ? Why should I ? Are you saying it's alright for people to come here and make false accusations about others just because they think its funny or to try and make themselves look clever ?

TP made accusations and suppositions...I asked him to back up his 'facts' - he hasn't done...in 'fact' he has made them up just to try and make a point....I think thats cowardly and pathetic.

Because you seem quite highly strung these days. Spouting nonsense isn't the same as spouting vitriol, you're reacting as if these lies were on a par with the Hillsborough slurs or something. Badmouthing a football player isn't in the same league.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Sir Miles wrote:

Because you seem quite highly strung these days. Spouting nonsense isn't the same as spouting vitriol, you're reacting as if these lies were on a par with the Hillsborough slurs or something. Badmouthing a football player isn't in the same league.

Do I ? Funny...I got a PM the other day saying the exact opposite...seems you can't please everyone...or anybody...

Are you accusing me of spouting vitriol ? In the rant thread ? Better than lies, IMO.

I'm surprised and saddened that you would drag Hillsborough into this...that ranks as a cheap shot.

But I'm glad you recognise TP's comments as lies though.

I asked for a list of people defending Suarez - as was claimed....and am still waiting...
    YNWA 97
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    It would appear that YouTube has finished being useful for pretty much anything and descended into an ad-ridden mess of attention seeking morons.

Take this bunch of ADHD suffering imbeciles and my initial thoughts;

FF7BFA85-6966-4ABB-A961-28DDD13BAD7D-41194-00000C5C220A9A4A_zps51fe87ed.jpg

That's not a duck.

856643E0-BFA4-413C-842A-9AE7DFF7FF0E-41194-00000C5C26F15182_zps3df23a39.jpg

I don't think that's him.

86104312-A2FE-4F9D-BF6C-C79712E34D88-41194-00000C5C2B3139B6_zps53fef1f5.jpg

Pity you didn't use an elephant.

E5DED7E9-D68F-4CD3-AEA3-D76213269037-41194-00000C5C2F60EFB7_zps342c9dcf.jpg

By looking exceedingly camp and annoying?

F648347F-BECD-4CF8-8F87-2AC297C6F0DA-41194-00000C5C33C096EA_zpsaf654fe9.jpg

No one looked the first time so it's resorting to wearing a bunny costume.

C29F2561-84E2-41BF-A8BD-18AC0C61E50E-41194-00000C5C37CDA7EB_zps31d3701a.jpg

What? I mean, seriously, what?

2804B7BE-B9F0-46C4-9FDF-79771BCF5335-41194-00000C5C3BD91078_zps3d53dbf3.jpg

Good for her.

682B17FA-9DF3-4D33-9502-4438D7AB42A2-41194-00000C5C3FFDEFCD_zps3663f780.jpg

Lets get a life.

9CCACF25-CEBF-4118-B314-C666C8259202-41194-00000C5C444A7BD6_zps0be28f97.jpg

What, no firearms involved? Shame.

CEF985B7-95A9-4490-B626-CFD3A7E2984A-41194-00000C5C48A8D2FD_zpsbb11ddba.jpg

I imagined a hairier hand would enter into shot.

A4B43184-1825-4604-A0EB-00112A986673-41194-00000C5C4CF741C9_zpse09b376c.jpg

So being a pedo wasn't enough and you actually had to make a video then show the world it?

D2897439-25E6-45DA-99B6-CAD315B85098-41194-00000C5C511C1237_zpsa19e9cdc.jpg

This guy chose not to choose life, he chose something else. Being a knob.

933FA441-C06F-4CD1-9742-DC03D799BD1F-41194-00000C5C551509A7_zpsed0d2090.jpg

Why's this guy constantly look like he's about to spill a bit of dribble out?

So there ya have it, a selection of today's 'choice' clips from TardTube.

I'm slowly loosing the ability to comprehend today's 'youth'....

Rant over, back on yer 'eads.

MG -{
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Can't find the youtube thread but it seems to be end of an era... :#

It now seems impossible to play many of your fave vids on youtube, due to a message from Sony that appears onscreen talking about SME content. Not sure how to get round that, or even if we're supposed to; it appears to be a blanket ban also affecting non-Sony material. Not sure if there's a reason to log on to You Tube ever again, mind...

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I do love it when a Multi-millionaire, tells the rest of Us working class scum.
    That we 'whinge', and so called poor people live on unhealty food but spend their
    money on big TVs.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/jamie-oliver-says-british-workers-whinge-235845331.html#M8zWdnd

Jamie Oliver says British workers 'whinge',His controversial comments come just 24 hours after he sparked anger by saying that families trapped in "modern-day poverty" forked out on giant televisions instead of healthy food.

Although Isn't He now Whinging himself ? Not to mention all those ads he does for Sainsburys, which sell the very
    food he's complaining about. As some commenters have posted I do hope this is his ' Ratner ' moment, But I do expect
    a statement soon from him explaining to all us stupid workers that He was misquoted.
    I hope his Tax affairs are in order as I'd bet a paper or two will be looking in to it for some juciy stories. Along with
    interviewing some former employees, As I'm sure he pays way over the odds in wages.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I don't have a problem with his comments, I thought everyone held that view.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    :)) I'm not going to get in to a row over politics, but I'd say we're poles apart NP. -{
    Oh, I'm not trying to pick a fight really. But you know, most cleaners are foreign so why aren't Brits doing that work, when so many are signing on? Cos of a sense of entitlement and unwillingness to do rubbish work, a lack of grit, although also that sense (justified) that cos of the class system once you do that kind of work that's all you'll be fit for, for life.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I strongly advise anyone interested in today's 'benefit scandal' topic to take a look at a motoring documentary on the BBC called Das Auto: The Germans, their cars and us. Whether you're a petrol head or not it makes a great viewing. The programme basically asks why has the UK car industry gone to **** while the Germans have been more successful in the same field.

It's got nothing to do with the 70's, dads crappy Austin princess or even them 4 bastards at Longbridge. Wind the clock back 65 years.

1947 saw (correct me if I'm wrong here) the birth of the welfare state. You paid in, when you needed help, it paid back. Save now for a rainy day. The UK car industry was doing ok, the war was over, the nazis were wiped out and everything was great for Great Britain. Or was it?

The Germans meanwhile had been flattened. Places like Dresden were literally wiped out and much of the infrastructure was being rebuilt by the allied forces. Factory managers, shop stewards and labourers alike were all equal. There was no financial upper hand, wealth meant nothing with superinflation and all people worked together to get the country and its people back on their feet.

Back in blighty however, we'd won! Hurrah! And our brave men returned home to reclaim their jobs. But now everyone slipped back into the 'he looks up to me but I look up to him' mentality. The class system reigned and people who'd fought bravely alongside each other now wouldn't even look at each other due to being in different classes. The car industry likewise was back in its old groove. People returned to banging out old lanchesters and alvis'.

The Germans were still at work and one guy, Mr Porsche had come up with a vunderbra idea! The beetle, with all it's evil herbie ways had started to roll off the lines. It was ****. But the engineers said ok, this is why it's ****, lets perfect it. And they fixed it, and fixed it, and fixed it. There was no class system, people were still considered equals. Working as a car manufacturer was deemed a highly skilled job and workers were genuinely respected.

Back in Britain, Alf Garnet, that scummy little greasy wretch from the crappy side of town was still banging out wooden framed noddy mobiles where the doors fell off. But they were good enough before the war and by Jove they're good enough now! The 'it'll do' mentality had started to rot it's way in.

The beetle went on to be a stunning success. Made cheaply by the people for the people it just kept getting better. The uk car market was having a good time, working hard in the sheds of working class scum-ville, our chaps put out around 1 million cars. The Germans in the same period put out 20 million. The steady road under our Avon's had turned into the slippery slope. While we thought we'd been having a good time, the Germans had been quietly banging out beetles in the thousands.

This class system still lives on today in Britain, where workers on the shop floor are still considered pond life and unimportant. The maintenance man who fixes the machine that goes ping is not considered as important as the doctor who switches it on, or the hospital manager who (while having no idea how the job is done) manages his staff, yet if that grubby little fix it bloke isn't there, and the machine doesn't work, and the doctor can't turn it on and the manager gets sued for negligence, then the whole corporation folds.

And this is where the benefit system comes in. People get fed up of being the scummy pond life. They get annoyed with being disregarded and ignored. They then figure that the crappy wage they're being offered is actually less than the amount of benefits they can claim, and so they jack it all in and let the state pay. And I can't blame them. There was a guy recently on the tv who was claiming benefit. Asked why he chose to do so, he said;

"I can get a job tomorrow picking cabbages if I like. I'd work from 8 til 7, and I'm either standing at a machine all day or working on my knees picking the cabbages by hand. All of the work is done outside obviously and you're on a zero hours contract so you can be let go at any time. I can claim more in benefits than I would in wages. What would you do? Break your back in the fields or earn more watching Jeremy Kyle?"

I can't say I blame the guy. And that's where things are going wrong.

'Great' Britain is working with a welfare system that was designed and set up in the late 40's. it's archaic, out of date and out of tune with today's society and its needs. People who can work aren't given enough insentive to do so, those who really need the help can't get enough due to all the hangers on.

Workers are disregarded. Trainees and apprentices are paid too little with no promise of work once they're finished training. The cost of living goes up, wages stay the same.

We're constantly told by people like Jamie 'fifteen minutes pukka meals' Oliver that we should be eating more healthily. Trouble is, Jamie, is that the everyday joe who you're trying to convert into a lentil chowing health freak is the kind of person who can't bloody afford **** like saffron and cinemon to put in their king prawn paella, and all they can afford is the bung it in the microwave tat that your beloved sainsburys is peddling.

And lets look at things objectively. Mr Oliver worked his arse off, 80 odd hours a week to become top chef, tv chef, restaurant owner and gods gift to food. But how many other people are out there doing just the same, people holding down 2,3 jobs to make ends meet? THEY are the unsung heroes. THEY are the ones who deserve as much credit.

So Mr 'sainsburys shines out my arse' Oliver is the personification of the problem with the UK today. Another lucky kid who's managed to be fortunate enough to make it, who's lost touch with reality and who now looks down and moans about the very people he purports to want to help. He makes out that anyone who works long hours will become catapulted into stardom and rewarded with a huge Belfast sink and a cooking programme. Dillusional I'm afraid Mr Oliver. How many kids want to be Wayne Rooney, and how many make it?

Hard work, grit, determination, blood, sweat and many tears does not guarantee success in the UK because there are too many people at the top who don't recognise, appreciate or understand who they have working under them, their importance or have any knowledge of what the pond life do.

The UK, IMO needs to pull its head out its arse and wipe the slate clean, get rid if this out dated class system and start pulling together to make things better for us all.

Britain won the war. Did it really?

Rant over,

MG -{
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,379Chief of Staff
    Well said, minigeff, you've hit it on the head.
    +1 -{
    edited August 2013
    ahem, knowing a bit about Germany's history and system, I slightly disagree with the short man:

First of all Mr. Porsche started his Beetle long before WWII. Just google "Kraft durch Freude Volkswagen"

The system of social benefits and nannying is not unfamiliar here (though there have been massive cuts in the last 10 years here as well - like in the UK). It's not all classless harmony and such all over the place here.

What really differentiates german car makers from their colleagues in the UK (Exception Aston Martin which is led by an ex-Porsche guy for like 10 years and he saved them from going over the edge) is simply one thing:

If you can't rely on natural ressources (such as oil, gas agriculture etc.) your industrial sector must be strong to raise the money for your living.
    As you always find someone on the market (for the car industry it was japan with cheap and good-quality cars in the late 70s), who's cheaper, you MUST differentiate yourself from the competition by:

- innovation
    - quality (and that's the focus the brit car makers never took care for and that was their mistake imo)
    - design
    - speed

German car workers have always been paid VERY good, their union has a very strong position but everyone realizes that the package must be significantly better than that of your cheaper competitor.

That's something British Leyland never understood .

As for Jamie Oliver, I am a bit inbetween:
    The time and money argument is always one - everywhere all over the world when it comes to an excuse for unhealthy eating.

But!!!!
    You have only one life and one body and you'd better be careful what you are stuffing into it!
    Sometimes I have the feeling that people use their mouth like a rubbish bean and I have not been any better when I was younger.

Myself had so many premade meals, you can feed an african town for years with.

10 years ago, we started to change our eating habit and Jamie Olivier had a huge influence on it.
    We are avoiding factory-made food as good as we can. Premade meals are overpriced and not healthy.

You can go much cheaper by cooking yourself - and yes it takes time. But we must take this time for ourselfs and the children who must be taught how to cook how to handle food.

Following Jamie Oliver does not necessarily mean to buy overpriced branded JO stuff at Sainsbury's. It means buying more natural stuff - try to make your own food and show the finger to the food industry, who are cheating and feeding us with all their generic innovative crap!

Does that mean that I never have a burger at the yellow M?
    Of course not!

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    MG, in many respects I agree with what you say, but not all of it. My tuppence worth:

The Government should tax junk food more heavily and subsidise fresh food like fruit and veg. Then families would see it's cheaper to eat more healthily. Not necessarily easier, but nothing in life that is worthwhile is always easy, eh?

Secondly, I run a small professional sales team. I don't view any of my team or any of our other 100-odd employees as 'pond life'. I don't know anyone who does. I'm not convinced that kind of thinking exists too much anymore, it's a bit of a stereotypical Dick Dastardly-employer view that's pretty much outdated IMO.

Thirdly, in my team there are some who work hard and are driven because they want more. There are others who are, frankly, the opposite - happy to collect a basic salary but not ready to go the extra mile to earn extra. And it's not a Class thing - it's a very international and diverse team. It's just that some people want to work incredibly hard and others don't. Those who work hard have rising wages. I can't motivate some any more than what's already in their nature, however hard I try. So maybe the welfare system is more appealing to some than others.

IMO Jamie Oliver is a guy who works hard and is trying to do something good, ie tackle the rising obesity levels in this country, "at source" and vilifying him is missing the point...
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    edited August 2013
    MG, in many respects I agree with what you say, but not all of it. My tuppence worth:

The Government should tax junk food more heavily and subsidise fresh food like fruit and veg. Then families would see it's cheaper to eat more healthily. Not necessarily easier, but nothing in life that is worthwhile is always easy, eh?

Totally agree. Kids should be given better education on healthy eating and fruit n veg prices should drop, I buy mine on the local market, it's much cheaper than any supermarket.
    Secondly, I run a small professional sales team. I don't view any of my team or any of our other 100-odd employees as 'pond life'. I don't know anyone who does. I'm not convinced that kind of thinking exists too much anymore, it's a bit of a stereotypical Dick Dastardly-employer view that's pretty much outdated IMO.

Really? I think things are a little different in more manual jobs. I'm not knocking anyone who pushes a pen for a living, but in my experience some of the jobs I've done have featured people in the firm being disregarded. One job for instance I was doing was a firm owned by the Japanese. One day a team came over from Japan to view the firm. I was working my machine and the top bloke came round with the visitors. He was having a hard time explaining to the visitors what my machine did because he'd never asked, or even spoken to any of our team in the dept, or even seen the machine in action. I'd just finished a job on it so cleaned it up and said "excuse me sir, would this be useful to show as an example?" He took the job out of my hand, showed it to the owners then handed it back without once even looking at me. No thank you, no 'yeah, cheers', no kiss my arse or even a nod. The arrogant boss didn't even have any manners to acknowledge my existence.

It's not all bad news though, I've been in a job where the boss was great. He didn't understand what I did, but he did appreciate the amount of extra hours and willingness I put in. When I left he told me if I needed help in the future to call him. As it happened I did come unstuck and needed some part time work at short notice. He stuck to his word and took me back on a temp basis to help me out. Brilliant guy.

So no, not every job has a David Brent in charge but some of the jobs and firms round my way, going on my and my mates' experiences, do involve being disregarded and thought of as 'scummy' purely because it means getting their hands dirty. For instance, being a drain cleaner or bin man isn't regarded as a highly skilled or appreciated profession, but someone has to do it and by god you'd soon notice when these people weren't around.

You get good and bad in all walks of life, and sadly no, this class system and 'them and us' attitude is not dead and gone, it's very much present in many firms, big and small across the UK.
    Thirdly, in my team there are some who work hard and are driven because they want more. There are others who are, frankly, the opposite - happy to collect a basic salary but not ready to go the extra mile to earn extra. And it's not a Class thing - it's a very international and diverse team. It's just that some people want to work incredibly hard and others don't. Those who work hard have rising wages. I can't motivate some any more than what's already in their nature, however hard I try. So maybe the welfare system is more appealing to some than others.

Depends on the work though surely? I mean to some, money isn't the be all and end all of life and can't be used as leverage or motivation. Take an apprentice engineer. Which do you think is gonna motivate him more? 'Work on Saturday and help grease up a turbine reading for shipping and get some OT in', or 'work on Saturday and help grease up a turbine reading for shipping and on Monday we'll go to the test bed and you can fire one up'?

Learning skills and gaining new experiences are sometimes worth more to people than earning a few more quid. If you want to engage people, especially the younger generation you need to give them more than a fatter pay cheque as insentive. But like I say, it depends on the job. In an office there's not much more you can offer than more money. Perhaps one if them happy clappy team building days out?

Like I said before, there's good and bad in all walks of life and some people just can't be motivated by anything, dangling a carrot doesn't always work with some.
    IMO Jamie Oliver is a guy who works hard and is trying to do something good, ie tackle the rising obesity levels in this country, "at source" and vilifying him is missing the point...

I agree that Mr Oliver has worked hard to get where he is and is trying to do some good for people's diets. But comments like 'UK workers are soft, foreigners are harder working' isn't gonna get him any fans.

I've seen hard working Latvians, Poles, Hungarians and Czechs. I've also seen grafting English, Welsh, Scots and Irish guys. But I've also seen lazy arrogant arses in the same groups.

Regardless of ethnicity, there's good and bad in all.

To simply state that UK workers are soft and workshy is bollocks at best, racist at worst. They'll be a bit of fallout from Jamie's comments, but can you imagine the responses if he said the same for Polish or Latvians, or if he was referring to a black person or females?

The best advice anyone gave me in business;

"Don't say no to anyone without giving them an alternative solution."
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    may I add something about industrial food:

IMO the transformed, contructed stuff is not the major problem.

The main problem is glutamate and other artificial flavors.
    It's not so much what it does with your health, it's what it does with your brain!

They do everything to get you addicted to them like a junkey! Once you get used to them, you simply can't go away because all natural stuff tastes lame and boring.

And Jamie Oliver is pretty good in fighting this kind of stuff. Even if these microwave food users only cook once a month or week something themselfs - it's good.

So instead of spending hours on a boring 007 forum go to the kitchen and make something tasty!

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,379Chief of Staff
    Bondtoys wrote:

So instead of spending hours on a boring 007 forum go to the kitchen and make something tasty!

Or learn to multitask and do both, BT! ;)
    There was a good report on Radio 2 a couple of weeks ago about the difference between British and German factory workers....it said that British workers worked for longer for less pay....it said the average working week for a British worker was over 50 hours (with overtime,etc) but that the equivalent German worker only worked a 7 hour day and that INCLUDED an hour for lunch...
    The big difference was that the German worker worked solidly for those 6 hours - always looking or having something to do....whereas the British worker spent a couple of hours a day either dodging work or not 'looking' for something to do...

Thoughts, BT ?
    YNWA 97
    In the big car factories, the regular people work around 7hrs/day plus well-paid overtime.
    That does NOT include the lunch break

Other factory workers in smaller companies work around 8hours a day but yes, everybody is really focussed on the job there.
    20 years ago we had a huge discussion about robots and machines replacing human work - now if it makes sense financially - robots are used whenever it makes sense.

A big difference may be, that german workers are well trained and focussed on their quality but I don't have a deeper knowledge how it is in the UK.

If everybody would do such a perfect quality job but lets people wait for so long like Microjiff does with his Bond stuff, the company would be bankrupt though :D

That's why I wisely mentioned "speed" in my previous post :D

Are zero hour contracts a British thing or do other EU countries have them ?
    exists here as well.

Thanks BT, Didn't know if it was Only in Britain. Although I do think
    it's very unfair to the worker.
    I've enjoyed these well argued posts, and like a few others agree with minigeff but also that his slurs against Jamie Oliver are not that well thought out. I mean, often immigrants or foreign workers sort of have to work harder on the basis that if you've taken the initiative to get over here and start afresh, you must have some get up and go about you, on the basis that you have indeed get up and gone!

Maybe this should be in the diet section, but recently I've taken to eating a salad from Sainsbury's and can of sardines in oil, costs about £3 in all, a top and filling evening meal. A takeaway costs more, and of course you could get the salad cheaper anyway. I don't think we're educated about food, then again it's buying expensive rubbish that arguably keeps the economy going.

Agree a bit about the class system but it seems they don't help themselves, the working classes; in terms of tradesmen in my limited experience they'll try to rip you off and don't get me started on Checkatrade - all the reviews are positive, which makes you smell a rat. (Tradesmen pay an hefty annual fee to be registered, in effect it's just advertising. Negative reviews for some reason don't get posted, they'll be alienating their customers ie the tradesmen).

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    My rant:

People who hit the 'quote' function here without sense!!!

People, this function is intended to highlight parts of a previous quote to make clear what you are referring to.

When I see the multiquotes or quotation of an overly lengthy post (another rant! Keep it short, do you really expect people to read your comments for 10 minutes? This is the internet! If you can't express yourself shortly - write a book!) The lack of common sense makes me speechless.

Hope that Granny Miles will make a sticky about "how to properly use the 'quote' button" soon.

Rant for tomorrow! The crappy iPad keyboard which turns my poor English into something even more pathetic!