The Rant Box

Comments

• ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    My rant:

People who hit the 'quote' function here without sense!!!

http://www.aperfectworld.org/07189.html
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Hope that Granny Miles will make a sticky about "how to properly use the 'quote' button" soon.

I'd be more interested if he made a sticky bomb.

But I hear ya bumfluff, quoting the quote of a quote of someone quoting a quote can lead to a quotation that's really past the full quota of quotation for a single quote.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Here's my rant of the day;

People who reply to others using the word 'sir'.

I dunno why, but it makes me either chuckle a bit or really grits my crap when I see people saying stuff like "i too would agree with your statement sir" or "kudos, sir, kudos!".

It kinda conjures up mental images of someone sat in a high backed leather armchair, looking like kenny everett's marcel;

marcel.jpg

I mean, honestly does anyone here actually talk like that? It's a bit back-dated if you ask me. Mate or pal yes, but 'sir'? It's all a bit 'toodle pip what what!' for my liking. I could imagine 'idealistic upper-class Edwardian twit Lieutenant George' coming out with it, but members of a Bond fan forum?

Anyways I know they'll be a divided opinion on this one, but that's where I stand on it.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    I think sir gets used more often by jobsworths to put you in your place, so having the opposite effect of what it seems to mean. Like 'with respect'...

But yeah, this is another context.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Today's spleen vent;

Cyclists that don't use cyclelanes/can't use cyclelanes.

I've seen this loads of times when driving around; cyclists who actively choose not to use a cyclelane. I dunno what kind of logic made this decision, but I can't understand it when cyclists don't use the damn cyclelane. Now back when there weren't many around, the eco-friendly tree huggy hippy would cry out that people on the roads drive to mentally for them, no-one looks out for the peddling lentil chewers and its all far too dangerous. Something must be done to make things better. Ok, so truck drivers stuck the 'don't even think about overtaking me when going round a bend' stickers on their arses and the powers that be started to build more cyclelanes. Everyone was happy, you peddling menaces were out of my way, and us horn-honking speed freaks were out of yours. Brilliant.

So when I'm driving home along a busy dual carriageway, why is there a lycra-clad boardman wannabe peddling along, cars and trucks swerving around him, when not 10 metres away theres a dedicated cyclelane? Why do people choose to actually put themselves in more danger? Is it some kind of 'its my right to use the road and I can't care for the consequences' attitude or are cyclelanes too difficult to use? Are they perhaps seen as the soft option and only wimpy cyclists use them?

I just don't understand it, I really can't. Now don't get me wrong, if you want to peddle your pushy all over the place thats fine by me. What really grits it though is when I'm driving along in 'da burbs' and I have to overtake a cyclist. He's not capable of going fast enough to keep up with the cars, but he is going fast enough to make it more difficult to overtake. I eventually manage to get round him, get to the next set of lights which are red, or just turned green, cyclist catches up, goes down the left hand side of everyone, if it is a red light they'll usually go through it and then when the cars get going again we all have to repeat the risky business of getting past the knob.

The other adventures I've had are cyclists using the wrong side of the road, so you have them cycling towards you, I've had a moped overtake me in a cyclelane (ok, so thats a ped-twerp but just as bad so it's getting mentioned) and I've even had a guy think the cyclelane is actually a dedicated mobility scooter lane.

It's a bloody lane or path, a strip of asphalt, and dotted white line, it has no moving parts, no instructions is about as simple as you could ever get and yet time and time again bloody idiots just can't/won't/refuse to use them. It would appear that anything with less than four wheels has to be driven/riden/aimed in a crazy manner in which everyone else is put in harms way. I know that us car drivers can be just as bad, it just seems that the vast majority of cycle/ped/bike users are bloody idiots.

Rant over.

MG -{
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    edited September 2013
    MG...........Never go to Brighton......you would have stroke
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SswJQqkQfh4
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    aaaaarg, my eyes B-)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Bondtoys wrote:
    aaaaarg, my eyes B-)

Don't look Ethel :)
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    minigeff wrote:
    Today's spleen vent;

I've seen this loads of times when driving around; cyclists who actively choose not to use a cyclelane. I dunno what kind of logic made this decision, but I can't understand it when cyclists don't use the damn cyclelane.

I know it's frustrating, but there are loads of reasons why the "lycra-clad board mans" might not be using the cycle lanes (based on my experience):

- broken glass in the cycle lane (sometimes this is clearly done on purpose)
    - poor quality/poorly laid cycle lane (those skinny tyres are really uncomfortable when going over badly laid lanes)
    - pot holes (you think they're bad on the road? Cycle lanes are usually the last to get fixed)
    - short/badly planned cycle lanes (lycra-clad boardmans are often clipped in to their pedals. Constantly stopping is a pain in the derriere and often just as dangerous, especially as many cycle lanes end at road junctions etc or just before, pitching the cyclist back into the road traffic)
    - numpty drivers who park blocking the cycle lane
    - The Highway Code doesn't prevent cyclists from being in the road when there is a cycle lane ... and frankly a lycra-clad boardman is likely to be going faster than a grannie-piloted Kia or a Land Cruising mummy
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I think sir gets used more often by jobsworths to put you in your place, so having the opposite effect of what it seems to mean. Like 'with respect'...

You are correct, sir! :))
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

That shoulda been "You, sir are correct!!"
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Regarding Brighton, I went there a week ago during heatwave - and went on the nudist beach, located by the Brighton Marina (you walk along the seafront) in order to get an all over tan of sorts.

It's okay, mainly blokes though for some reason, with a couple of women there by themselves all alone, one had a magnificent huge arse, a retro arse from the 1970s, could park a bike in it.

It's hard to lie there however, as it has three levels, so there's a good chance the guy on the next plateau down will be staring at your crotch, and vice versa. Plus you get the odd fully clothed bloke walking up and down crunching the pebbles and you think, 'Sod off mate, get your kit off or **** off..."

But Brighton is terrific; come out the station and turn right down the hill and there's a heaven of boutiques and bric a brac shops and bars. Even the Visimag store, found in Old Compton STreet Soho, is better, with an A3 sized cardboard reproduction of the Pan paperback iconic Moonraker cover. You wanna load up with a wheelbarow. Loads of movie stuff there.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Predator wrote:
    minigeff wrote:
    Today's spleen vent;

I've seen this loads of times when driving around; cyclists who actively choose not to use a cyclelane. I dunno what kind of logic made this decision, but I can't understand it when cyclists don't use the damn cyclelane.

I know it's frustrating, but there are loads of reasons why the "lycra-clad board mans" might not be using the cycle lanes (based on my experience):

- broken glass in the cycle lane (sometimes this is clearly done on purpose)
    - poor quality/poorly laid cycle lane (those skinny tyres are really uncomfortable when going over badly laid lanes)
    - pot holes (you think they're bad on the road? Cycle lanes are usually the last to get fixed)
    - short/badly planned cycle lanes (lycra-clad boardmans are often clipped in to their pedals. Constantly stopping is a pain in the derriere and often just as dangerous, especially as many cycle lanes end at road junctions etc or just before, pitching the cyclist back into the road traffic)
    - numpty drivers who park blocking the cycle lane
    - The Highway Code doesn't prevent cyclists from being in the road when there is a cycle lane ... and frankly a lycra-clad boardman is likely to be going faster than a grannie-piloted Kia or a Land Cruising mummy

Jesus preddy, glass on purpose? That's a bit of a shitty tactic, I prefer a brolly through the spokes or fishing wire between the lamposts... (joke)

I must admit I sympathise with the potholes, some roads round my way resemble more open cast mine than road.

But, in the case of captain Lycra McBudgiesmuggler on the dual carriageway I just don't get it. It's almost as if he was doing it as some kind of near suicidal act of defiance. Crazy fool.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    MeanMachineAni.gif

Minigeff earlier...

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:

That shoulda been "You, sir are correct!!"

It's actually "You, sir, are correct!!", but I'll admit that grammar and punctuation aren't exactly my strong points. :))
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Here's a great example of nutty cyclists;

http://youtu.be/Hg7Iek19_wM

The last clip takes the crown.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    I bicycled everywhere into my late twenties, and one thing I learned was humility. On a bicycle right of way is trumped by A BIG MOTORVEHICLE. So you BETTER pay attention to who has right of way, and even if it's you, you better give it to the big chunk of metal on wheels that can end your time on this planet.
    The people today with their spandex & $5000 bikes are a bunch of suicides waiting to happen. They don't 'get' that they share the road, they want to own it.
    There, that's my rant on the subject.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    I bicycled everywhere into my late twenties, and one thing I learned was humility. On a bicycle right of way is trumped by A BIG MOTORVEHICLE. So you BETTER pay attention to who has right of way, and even if it's you, you better give it to the big chunk of metal on wheels that can end your time on this planet.
    The people today with their spandex & $5000 bikes are a bunch of suicides waiting to happen. They don't 'get' that they share the road, they want to own it.
    There, that's my rant on the subject.

Agree 100% ,no 15 London double decker bus top trumps your bike any day,
    its no use trying to tell those nice men in the white caps from the AIU (accident investigation unit)
    that you had the right of way ,coz you will be doin a good impression of a IHOP breakfast,
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • YouknowthenameYouknowthename Carver Media GroupPosts: 500MI6 Agent
    Lazy ebay sellers X-(
    A huge Omega / Skyfall display sign was put up for auction, local pick-up (UK) only...
    Even wrapping the sign for shipping so a courier could come and collect it was too much...
    As a result, the sign sold for 10 GBP - a laughably low amount.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    After seeing the latest ad for a "Celebrity" show, I think it's about time they came up
    with another word as these "z" listers. As they don't qualify as Celebrities. X-(
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    After seeing the latest ad for a "Celebrity" show, I think it's about time they came up
    with another word as these "z" listers. As they don't qualify as Celebrities. X-(

There is a word; c@nt. :D
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    :)) :)) :))
    Yes I have used it a few times.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    What grits me the most is the amount of truly brilliant people out there who don't get recognition.

Doctors that can perfrom keyhole surgery on babies, scientists searching for a cure or treatment for cancers, heroes raising money for charity, brave pioneers performing stunts like felix burmgardener (yeah i know thats not his real name), and the many other people we just take for granted like members of our armed forces etc.

And yet all the papers seem to want to focus on is bent politicians and what kim kardashian is hardly wearing.

I think becoming famous is so easy these days that the people who achieve fame don't realise how fortunate they are.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Stupid seems to be the new thing every TV executive wants. :#
    Stupid seems to be the new thing every TV executive wants. :#

That explains how Top Gear is still being made.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    People who go out of their way to dart in front of you on a jam-packed pavement and then slow down. I just want to jab a poison-tipped umbrella into the back of their leg.
    Utter coooonts in Range Rovers.

Last night I had the closest escape from a crash in a long time.

Part of my journey home involves joint a busy dual carriage way by using quite a short slip road. It can be tricky to filter in, so I usually change to second gear, and just roll the car forward until I can see a suitable space coming in the traffic, floor it at the right time and filter in.

Last night though was too close for comfort. I'm following a people carrier onto the slip road and look over my right shoulder to see what's coming, a quick glance forwards confirms the people carrier is still moving forward too. Looking back, over my shoulder (there's a song in there) I can see a range rover coming, nothing in the right lane and a few hundred yards back from the RR is a steady stream of traffic. I decide to join the road after the RR has passed.

The range rover goes past, I floor it, turn my head to look forward and I'm met by the arse end of the RR approaching at an increasingly high rate of knots. Slamming on the anchors I just manage to avoid a collision, but now I'm virtually stationary with traffic approaching from the rear at 70.

Luckily, we got moving again sharpish and panic was over.

So what went wrong?

The people carrier in front of me had simply coasted onto the slip road, got to the end if the slip road and just pootled onto the dual carriageway at way too slow a speed. The range rover approaching at 70 had decided the best course of action was not to pull into the right hand lane to drive around the people carrier, but continue on course until a few feet off its arse until applying the brakes.

It's one of them situations where if I'd had gone into the back of the Chelsea tractor then it would have been my fault. But how do you look back to check for traffic and especially bikes approaching at high speed and look forward to check that dilbert has buggered off at the same time?

Anyway, disaster averted and rant over.

MG-{
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    always driving supercars I can tell you that I never bother to look in the mirror :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Bondtoys wrote:
    always driving supercars I can tell you that I never bother to look in the mirror :D

How do you get your lipstick so perfect then?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,836MI6 Agent
    The foreign press seldom writes about Norway. When you look to Syria, that gets a lot of press coverage, this is probably a good thing. A week ago we had a parlamentary election and the non-socialist parties gained the mojority. What the foreign press wrote was this:
    BREIVIK'S PARTY TO ENTER NORWEGIAN GOVRNMENT JUST TWO YEARS AFTER TERROR!
    They were refering to the Progress Party, a party that lost support in this election, but will probably end up in the new government.

Let me make two things clear:

1) I CAN'T STAND THE PROGRESS PARTY!

2) THE PROGRESS PARTY IS THE ONLY PARTY BREIVIK HAS EVER LEFT BECAUSE HE DIDN'T LIKE THEIR POLITICS