The Rant Box

Comments

• minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    The VCRA prohibits anyone buying a RIF, a replica imitation firearm, ie a black BB gun that fires with less energy than 0.7 joules, UNLESS that person is a member of UKARA. I don't play Rambo in the woods, so I can't be a member.

The police won't let you put one of these extremely lethal BB guns on a FAC, so therefore I can't buy one.

So if I had the money, I could go and buy a 50 cal barret rifle that can take your head off your shoulders by reducing it to strawberry jam, but I can't be trusted with a BB gun that will give you a bit of a nasty bruise?

How is that 'sensible'? Surely if I can be trusted with firearms I should be ok to buy a BB gun?
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Also, I though that the Firearms Act 1968 was the main piece of legislation in England and Wales on the ownership of guns?

No it's the 1997 act now after Dunblane happened and Tony Bliar wanted to win some votes and the ill-timed general election.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    The VCRA prohibits anyone buying a RIF, a replica imitation firearm, ie a black BB gun that fires with less energy than 0.7 joules, UNLESS that person is a member of UKARA. I don't play Rambo in the woods, so I can't be a member.

The police won't let you put one of these extremely lethal BB guns on a FAC, so therefore I can't buy one.

So if I had the money, I could go and buy a 50 cal barret rifle that can take your head off your shoulders by reducing it to strawberry jam, but I can't be trusted with a BB gun that will give you a bit of a nasty bruise?

How is that 'sensible'? Surely if I can be trusted with firearms I should be ok to buy a BB gun?

Yes, I see your point - have a read of our law from 2004 and see if it's more advanced than yours - I think that it might be?
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    I cant be trusted with a BB gun, I shot Jo in the arse with mine :D
    minigeff wrote:
    Violent Crime Reduction Act 2007 section 36

Having read the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 s. 36, I must say that it seems very sensible - not to convert weapons for use.

The VCRA is not about the conversion of fake guns into real ones, but more to do with Replica Imitation Firearms, the sale, manufacturer and import restrictions on them.

Here's the doc;

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/36
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    minigeff wrote:
    Violent Crime Reduction Act 2007 section 36

Having read the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 s. 36, I must say that it seems very sensible - not to convert weapons for use.

The VCRA is not about the conversion of fake guns into real ones, but more to do with Replica Imitation Firearms, the sale, manufacturer and import restrictions on them.

Here's the doc;

Again, I think there are sound public policy reasons against this...imitation firearms are as often as not used in real armed robberies - difficult to tell the difference sometimes!
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    edited January 2013
    minigeff wrote:

Here's the doc;

Again, I think there are sound public policy reasons against this...imitation firearms are as often as not used in real armed robberies - difficult to tell the difference sometimes!

So what stops someone buying a bright orange BB gun (non UKARA members are allowed to buy these) and spraying it black?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • draxhugodraxhugo Posts: 97MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    draxhugo wrote:
    Gun = freedom.

How the hell do guns = freedom ?:)

I really try and stay away from topics involving guns as I have pretty strong views on gun ownership...but that comment is just ludicrous.

First English is not my primary language so I often miss the Politically Correct tone I should be using when posting. Sorry about that as throwing a Grenade was not my intention and I am going to try to be more explicit :

Freedom is about choices and assuming the consequences of one's acts, not being a sheep voting to decide by which wolf it's going to be eaten, this would be the current western democracies description.

It's a scale and where a community puts the dot. The present topic is guns, but it could be about cars, cash, boats, planes, cigarettes, votes, immigration ... . Laws are needed but promoting bad laws after a dramatic event is never a good solution because it's emotionally motivated and generally satisfying someone's agenda.

Despite what you might think, I totally agree on responsible gun ownership and leaving a gun out of a safe or not using it in a safe way is not responsible. A solid background check should also be in order and every nut case shall never have the right to possess one. But I guess it's easier to ban for everybody than have public servants doing what they're paid to do or admitting they face a potential civil unrest.

Now on a more personal point of view and my right to rant because I feel attacked, you have strong feelings about gun ownership, that's your absolute right and I will not contest it but who are you to tell me I should not have one ?. Where were you or the police when I got carjacked at gun point (guess they didn't have licenses) ?, when my cousin was raped at knife point, when my grandfather was arrested by invading Germans assisted by French police ???.

Enjoy your nanny State while it lasts, because when you'll be a victim, that very same State will give absolute zero ****.

Last point : CNN and all the other 24/24h news networks should be banned because they give mass media coverage to any numbnut who think he's god, he knows he'll be famous worldwide.

PS : It's your forum, you do whatever you want with my account.
    draxhugo wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    draxhugo wrote:
    Gun = freedom.

How the hell do guns = freedom ?:)

I really try and stay away from topics involving guns as I have pretty strong views on gun ownership...but that comment is just ludicrous.

First English is not my primary language so I often miss the Politically Correct tone I should be using when posting. Sorry about that as throwing a Grenade was not my intention and I am going to try to be more explicit :

Freedom is about choices and assuming the consequences of one's acts, not being a sheep voting to decide by which wolf it's going to be eaten, this would be the current western democracies description.

It's a scale and where a community puts the dot. The present topic is guns, but it could be about cars, cash, boats, planes, cigarettes, votes, immigration ... . Laws are needed but promoting bad laws after a dramatic event is never a good solution because it's emotionally motivated and generally satisfying someone's agenda.

Despite what you might think, I totally agree on responsible gun ownership and leaving a gun out of a safe or not using it in a safe way is not responsible. A solid background check should also be in order and every nut case shall never have the right to possess one. But I guess it's easier to ban for everybody than have public servants doing what they're paid to do or admitting they face a potential civil unrest.

Now on a more personal point of view and my right to rant because I feel attacked, you have strong feelings about gun ownership, that's your absolute right and I will not contest it but who are you to tell me I should not have one ?. Where were you or the police when I got carjacked at gun point (guess they didn't have licenses) ?, when my cousin was raped at knife point, when my grandfather was arrested by invading Germans assisted by French police ???.

Enjoy your nanny State while it lasts, because when you'll be a victim, that very same State will give absolute zero ****.

Last point : CNN and all the other 24/24h news networks should be banned because they give mass media coverage to any numbnut who think he's god, he knows he'll be famous worldwide.

PS : It's your forum, you do whatever you want with my account.

have to say I rather agree with most of that.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    Zero Poo would be a good title for Bond 24.

They could even use the 00 numbers in conjunction with it...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Today's rant;

Knobs who can't drive.

It's getting dark, it's snowy and the roads are covered in ice, but for some reason some people decide that the lack of vision, low light levels and dangerous driving conditions mean that there is little or no need for using their lights.

Hmmm, say mam, what's that rumbling sound coming from the rear of your car? Is it something to do with that jaunty pose your car has adopted? Why yes! Because you've got a flat fooking tyre and your driving at 50mph on the steel rim of your wheel!!!

It's dark, it's misty and foggy in rural areas, you've got your lights on, well done!! But when driving through town and visibility is clear, did it ever occur to you that the fog light attached to your arse just might be blinding the poor bastard who's following you, ie me?

Sidelights are lights aren't they? However, this is not a good enough excuse to do 70mph down a road at 10pm using just the sidelights. It's not meant to be a choice of "oh which lights do I prefer today? The dark sidelights that allow me to just use the spotlights or the big bright lights...." Decisions decisions.

Scraping a patch of ice off your windscreen so you can peer out is not sufficient. Your car is not a tank or a postbox, you are not Marvin the Martian.

Hooray, you've scraped all the ice and snow from your windows, you can see everything! It's a shame then that you've failed to scrape the ice and snow from your lights so people could see you coming, your turn signals and your brake lights.

It's great isn't it, that shop down the road has EVERYTHING, plenty of parking, it's well lit, and it's easy to get to as well. When you come out of the shop, you can get in your car at leisure, get comfy, take your time to find the car keys, get the car started, warm it up and then pull away whenever you feel like. Only this 'shop' is known to many others as a 'petrol station' and all your fooking around doing the shopping and pissing around trying to start the car and bugger off is holding up everyone else who are simply trying to use this facility to obtain some PETROL.

And then when I get to work and the car park is filling up, why do people think its a great idea to park across the entrance thus blocking everyone in and out of said car park. Parking across the entrance? Really?

Rant over,

MG
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    Father, it has been a while since my last obsession.

"Please place your items in the bagging area..."

Which helpfully illustrates with a visual suggesting you slide your items in the opposite direction to where you're actually meant to place them.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Why do they put trailers for other films on the Skyfall Bluray.
    If I'd rented it, then OK, But when I've bought it I just want
    Skyfall. X-(
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Yeah drives me nuts also
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    :D when was the last times that you BOUGHT a Bluray instead of downloading from Megaupload? :D

These trailers have been there for ever - but yes they are annoying!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    I'm still annoyed Bondtoys thinks I have only One Bluray
    when I've almost Three. :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    People who come into filling stations after having parked their car at a pump, then do their massive amount of shopping while blocking the pump. So selfish! I get complaints every day! X-(
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Yes totaly hate that too,but to be fair if the bloody goverment didnt take so much tax
    out of our fuel the poor old retailer ie the petrol station owner could make a decent living
    with out having to sell his soul to Tesco
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Yes totaly hate that too,but to be fair if the bloody goverment didnt take so much tax
    out of our fuel the poor old retailer ie the petrol station owner could make a decent living
    with out having to sell his soul to Tesco

Exactly, the Govt. make the profits along with the oil sheiks. Don't take it out on your local filling station, please! :))
    So I dropped my Nikon sb-700 Flash, hence a Broken battery door.
    ( Or small piece of plastic ) sent it off for repair,
    Just over £72 WTF :o
    I though Clegg was a Twisting git, But Cameron, MY GOD how
    that man can Sleep at Night, I don't know. :(
    Any wonder why the public think ALL Politicans are
    Lying, two Faced Bast**ds. X-(
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    I agree! There should be a means that a Prime Minster can be held to account by the people. Who is for bring back the stocks? Clegg IS a twisting git, its just that Cameron is a hundred times worse. Lying, conniving, shOts the lot of them. Its hilarious that they seem to think that we have all forgotten the expenses scandal, Iraq war, etc etc. Ignorant, arrogant fools.

The next general election will be interesting! (Assuming we get there of course). The only "untried" option left (such as it is) is the Green party.

How can it be called Democracy when you are voting to keep everyone OUT instead of voting to get anyone in?!!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-paper-round-cannibal-suarez-must-go-025033359.html

Luis Suarez, Fined for being A racist and a second Biting incident. :#
    so much for the "Beautiful" Game.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    He is indeed a disgrace. I must admit though I would rather have a bite on my arm then being purposely elbowed or kicked in the face (remember Shearer on Lennon was it?)

I watch little football nowadays due to these pathetic footballers
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,593Chief of Staff
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-paper-round-cannibal-suarez-must-go-025033359.html

Luis Suarez, Fined for being A racist and a second Biting incident. :#
    so much for the "Beautiful" Game.

Excuse me ? Racist ? He was cleared of being a racist - but don't let the 'facts' get in the way of a good story will you ? 8-)

I don't condone his biting for a second and he should get a lenghty ban - even if Jermaine Defoe escaped with just a booking when he bit another footballer...

And it has never been the 'beautiful' game, as you put it...thuggery has ALWAYS gone on on the pitch....look at Roy Keane's 'tackle' on Alf-Inge Haaland for instance...or the Cantona 'kung-fu' kick at a spectator...there have been plenty of broken legs and smashed cheekbones down the years too...plus players spitting at each other - and the crowd too...
    YNWA 97
    If he was cleared of the racist charge then I apologise, I've been misinformed. :#
    Football a rough game ? yes always was. But I'm sorry when you have some
    people lining up to defend him. well I suppose we all have different standards.
    I hope he has a long career and continues to plays brilliantly. The fact that
    he has hurt the rep of liverpool, Football and common decency can all be swept
    under the carpet. Although I do have a funny feeling that if his playing drops
    off a little then there might be more fuss over it.
    I gave up on football years ago, this latest incident just helps to keep we
    away.
    But there are worse things .....................

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/the-rundown/15-things-worse-biting-opponent-arm-115716292.html

15 things worse than biting your opponent, :))
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,593Chief of Staff
    If he was cleared of the racist charge then I apologise, I've been misinformed. :#
    Football a rough game ? yes always was. But I'm sorry when you have some
    people lining up to defend him. well I suppose we all have different standards.
    I hope he has a long career and continues to plays brilliantly. The fact that
    he has hurt the rep of liverpool, Football and common decency can all be swept
    under the carpet. Although I do have a funny feeling that if his playing drops
    off a little then there might be more fuss over it.
    I gave up on football years ago, this latest incident just helps to keep we
    away.

Yes...you were mis-informed...Suarez was CLEARED of being a racist...I suggest you go away and read the 306 page document that accompanied the decision instead of making smart-arse comments that could lead to legal action X-(

Are there really "people lining up to defend him" as you claim ?:) I haven't read one piece where he is being defended...let alone a stream of people doing so...?...so I'd love you to give the links to all these people that are doing so...

As for your comment that if his playing dropped off there would be "more fuss" - WTF ?:) More fuss ? Really ? It's been on tv constantly, on the radio at EVERY news broadcast and across EVERY newspaper in Britain and probably across the world....even the PM was asked about it...how could there possibly be ANY MORE coverage ?:)

I absolutely adore the fact that you claim he's hurt the reputation of common decency :)) I didn't realise that people from the 18th Century were still alive :))

Just remind me...whom did he kill again ? All this coverage is WAY over the top...must be a slow news day...
    YNWA 97
    I'm guessing you're a Liverpool fan, Sir Miles. :D
    As I've already stated we all have different standards,
    Some think Bitting an oponent os OK, Some (like me)
    think it's a little nasty. Still each to their own. So long
    as it doesn't interfere with the high standard of sportsmanship
    and Role models for future generations, Who cares.

But I will confess I know nothing about football, don't follow a team
    Haven't watched a full game ( Except world cups) in years. So I'm
    going to stop now. The world of football is Simply too rough for
    a delicate soul like me.