The Rant Box

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent

And if you don't vote then you have lost any chance of changing anything. In the uk we've had different successive Governments and the rise of parties like UKIP in the last election, both going to show how votes can make change... -{

+1 and thank you!!! {[] {[] {[]
    In other countries people die on the fight for democracy!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Oh, I vote ( as then I can fight the argument about not having the
    right to complain) ;) but I vote for whichever the silliest, party
    standing is, as they can be no worse, that the silly official ones. ;)

Although the right Not to vote is just as important, otherwise, you live
    In a dictatorship, forcing people to vote. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,383Chief of Staff
    I vote for whichever the silliest party
    standing is

AA_OLD_MAN.jpg
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Barbel wrote:
    standing is

AA_OLD_MAN.jpg

Love it! Not as much parody anymore, as accurate depiction...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,619Chief of Staff
    In the uk we've had different successive Governments and the rise of parties like UKIP in the last election, both going to show how votes can make change... -{

I'm not convinced we've had 'different' successive Governments...seems like more of the same - only more so :s
    I don't think UKIP have 'risen' anywhere...lots of votes I grant you, but for one solitary MP. Their votes changed nothing....
    YNWA 97
    Although the LibDems have fallen. :)) poor old Nick, going by his
    latest speech, he Thinks they can overtake Labour ! :)) :)) :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Although the LibDems have fallen. :)) poor old Nick, going by his
    latest speech, he Thinks they can overtake Labour ! :)) :)) :))

Sounds like the great Eddie Izzard's "Cake or Death?" :s
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,264MI6 Agent
    As I have said before TP, they are only in politics to serve themselves not the general population :#

If voting changed anything they would ban it :D

I disagree with both of these -{

The majority of politicians don't go into it to serve themselves, it's the minority sadly who take advantage of what's often put before them.

And if you don't vote then you have lost any chance of changing anything. In the uk we've had different successive Governments and the rise of parties like UKIP in the last election, both going to show how votes can make change... -{

My second comment was supposed to be ironic :)
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I'm not convinced we've had 'different' successive Governments...seems like more of the same - only more so :s
    I don't think UKIP have 'risen' anywhere...lots of votes I grant you, but for one solitary MP. Their votes changed nothing....

Maybe it only seems like more of the same because the electorate don't want wildly different, i.e. more extreme, political parties?

As for 'their votes changed nothing', the alternative is even worse - don't vote if you're not in the majority. That way you can guarantee nothing will change... -{
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,619Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:

Maybe it only seems like more of the same because the electorate don't want wildly different, i.e. more extreme, political parties?

As for 'their votes changed nothing', the alternative is even worse - don't vote if you're not in the majority. That way you can guarantee nothing will change... -{

I don't think there was a credible alternative last time around...even less so at the next election...

I know plenty of people that don't vote as you would need tens of thousands of votes to effect a change - and most would vote for the current incumbent anyway...

Wasted votes ? Ask UKIP voters...third biggest percentage of votes for one seat ! Almost every vote wasted...so you can vote for change and still not be heard :s
    YNWA 97
    You can turn it into every possible direction:

Not voting is the worst of all options. Period!
    And part of the democtracy is that the majority of voters decide - and not the minority.
    That does not mean that even the most ignorant of all polititians don't notice the amount of people that voted against them.
    If you don't vote at all - nothing changes!

I am not sure about the election system in the UK, but I prefer the parliament being a cc of the voter's results and not the "the winner takes it all" system which exists in the US - which leads to 2 big players running for the states.

All this anti-American posting, sounds like " Pinko, lefty, Commie talk" to me
    Donald Trump wouldn't put up with it, and neither will I. :p
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    standing is

AA_OLD_MAN.jpg

how nice to see Tarquin lin bin fin bin win bin bus stop fer tang fer tang ole biscuit barrel, he looks quit well again ,
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Listening to "The Stephen Nolan show" on BBC radio Ulster this morning,
    I couldn't help getting angry. X-(
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007cpsh
    The presentor had two women on discussing a female Bond, then went onto
    Talk about the films and clearly knew nothing about them. X-(
    Saying Bond has never been shown "in love " what ? They clearly haven't
    seen OHMSS or CR.
    Then one said they were boring ?
    Obviously she hasn't seen the Box office figures for Skyfall ( the most successful
    British film .... EVER!)
    I'd loved to have phoned in ( sadly I don't know the number) to let these movie
    experts know there is a female Bond character, Modesty Blaise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modesty_Blaise

I hate when people decide to discuss knowledgeably, about a subject they
    Obviously know Nothing about ! X-(
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Talk about the films and clearly knew nothing about them.
    (Snippage)

Welcome to the world of "professional" critics Pussy. :#

They are trotted out as experts, they know f*ck all! I have witnessed the same with Thunderbirds, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Star Wars, and almost any other film or tv series within the genre. Thankfully there are books written by genuine experts with minimal errors, but they never end up on radio or the telly. :(
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    Talk about the films and clearly knew nothing about them. X-(
    Saying Bond has never been shown "in love " what ? They clearly haven't
    seen OHMSS or CR.
    Then one said they were boring ?
    Obviously she hasn't seen the Box office figures for Skyfall ( the most successful
    British film .... EVER!)
    I'd loved to have phoned in ( sadly I don't know the number) to let these movie
    experts know there is a female Bond character, Modesty Blaise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modesty_Blaise

Sadly, TP, it seems that it's just something that we have to suffer every time a Bond event like the release of a new Bond theme song, film, or continuation novel is released. Sad but true. :#

A guest lecturer while I was doing Law at Queen's University told us that she had listened stupidly to "The Stephen Nolan Show", something that one must never do. After this debacle I can see why! :D
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    :)) oh I'm not a regular listener, Just heard about
    Bond coming up, near the end of it.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    :)) oh I'm not a regular listener, Just heard about
    Bond coming up, near the end of it.

I confess (to my shame) that I do catch some of it occasionally too on the car radio. Mostly I'm at work and miss it though!
    I'm more of a Radio 4 kinda guy. :007)

Thanks for the Bond radio update anyhow - much appreciated, TP! :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    :)) Yes, I too am a Radio 4 guy, and 4 extra -{ I think his
    Show is like the radio version of Jeremy Kyle. :D pity I couldn't
    Get the phone number because I would have phoned in for a good
    old argument ! :D
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,383Chief of Staff
    Recently, a certain newspaper (which should remain anonymous*) ran a feature on the Bond title songs to tie in with Sam Smith's announcement. A friend who runs a daily radio show asked me to sit in with him and run through the article, which was so full of mistakes that I spent more time nitpicking than discussing.
    Why in heaven's name don't papers, magazines, etc, contact someone who knows about these things just to check the facts before printing? No fee necessary, although welcome!

* The Daily Record
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Barbel wrote:
    Recently, a certain newspaper (which should remain anonymous*) ran a feature on the Bond title songs to tie in with Sam Smith's announcement. A friend who runs a daily radio show asked me to sit in with him and run through the article, which was so full of mistakes that I spent more time nitpicking than discussing.
    Why in heaven's name don't papers, magazines, etc, contact someone who knows about these things just to check the facts before printing? No fee necessary, although welcome!

* The Daily Record

Quite so. I'm frequently appalled at the apparent laziness - or at least, lack of research. But that's coming from a confessed savant ;%
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Barbel wrote:

* The Daily Record

Indeed! Well said, Barbel. :) -{
    Higgins wrote:
    image.jpg

David Cameron today:

“These photos are clearly shocking. This is why we continue to be at the forefront of the international response to the humanitarian crisis in Syria..."

Isn't Cameron doing everything to prevent that refugees enter the UK from Europe?
    Wasn't he the one who wants to chase those refugees as illegal immigrants even by imprisoning them?
    Isn't he the one who systematically closes the Eurotunnel to prevent refugees from going on the train to the UK?

How many of the Syrian refugees did he take in the last 8 months?

Turkey took millions, Germany took more than 500.000 and the UK?
    Shame on you! You've lost any respect from me! X-( X-(

Have to come back to that sad topic.

This is what a (supposedly syrian - see the flag) refugee kid was drawing when waiting at a german police station:

cprzswuxaaaumfmcl0ytkwn5s.jpg

Usual rant from me, on YouTube. Why put your description in English.
    When the bloody review is in Spanish or Russian ! X-( at least add
    Subtitles.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I have nothing to rant about lately (sorry AOS) life is being good to me lately ,as you will see this Thursday ;)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    My car has been LYING for 5 years!! I guess it's not its fault though, it was PROGRAMMED to. My Dad's VW Jetta TDI that I inherited is a 2010, that means it's got 'the' algorithm that allows it to cheat on emissions tests!!
    Dammit Higgins! You could have warned us!!! X-(
    ;)
    Damn. Imma trade it in for a Ford Focus!!
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    Cheap shoddy German engineering, should always buy British ! :))
    should always buy British ! :))
    A Ford Focus is as close to an Aston Martin as I'll ever get. :))
    I had to give one a second look the other day, coming out of a side road.
    As with that new nose, they do look at a glance like the front of as AM. :D
    On the VW question, I think it's only a simple software update at the garage
    to fix it.
    On the VW question, I think it's only a simple software update at the garage
    to fix it.
    On a HALF MILLION cars (just in the states)...
    The line forms to the right folks. :#