The Rant Box

Comments

• Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    edited November 2015
    Robbo88 wrote:
    Higgins wrote:
    So, you're really into that stuff? :D

Leave me alone........it's my cross to bare. :))

And so say both of us! In my case, it's my cross to Bear. (I can look quite scary when I pretend to be angry!) :D

We have blast off!

Who the hell do people think, carrying on as though Sci Fi and Fantasy are some sort of sub genre of entertainment? I am thinking of The Accademy Of Motion Pictures and establishment when I say that. 2001, Interstellar etc oh yes. Split second a Star Wars, Star Trek or Superhero film surfaces they are all dead ears! The LOTR films got gongs (quite right) The Hobbit was ignored. Double Standards. Sci Fi in tv is the same. Unless its a Galactica it is dismisses out of hand!
    I do find those that have an "attitude" to certain films and tv very annoying. Stigmas like that belong in the dark ages! Or a black hole.

Long live the UFOP. (Takes deep breath.) -{ :)
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Many Sci-Fi films and TV shows deal with contemporary issues
    in an inventive and thought provoking way. That many other genres
    couldn't hope to match. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    Crime fiction at it's best can. Authors who want to comment on society often use Scifi or crime stories.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    For sre we all remember Carlie Hebdo magazine, which was object of a Terrorist attack in January.
    Today's cover says:

They may have the arms,
    screw them, we have the Champagne:

151117-charlie-hedbo-jpo-551a_d496b49f6a3a958551cc6ac25f0cba8f.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    {[] Great caption.
    Satire and fun all banned under ISIS.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    The Taliban banned kite flying. That really says all you need to know about nut jobs!
    Also there seems to be the usual terrorist hypocrisy, as they have found
    Drug apparatus in the Hotel rooms used by them. They also owned and
    ran a bar, where drugs were openly sold and used. Alcohol and drugs ?
    For these strict religious stalwarts.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    The Taliban banned kite flying. That really says all you need to know about nut jobs!

I never knew that! In a similar way in Nazi Germany in 1943 Dr Goebbels wanted Hitler to pass a directive banning horse racing but nothing ever came of it.

Source: http://www.mrbuddhistory.com/uploads/1/4/9/6/14967012/how_powerful_was_hitler.pdf (see the bottom of the last page).
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    All these dictators all seem to want to ban fun in someway.
    Like those American preachers, saying we're all sinners etc,
    next thing. They're being caught holding drink, drugs sex orgies ! :))
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent

I know. Sadly high hypocrisy is nothing new in politics, religion or any other walk of life. "Do as I say not as I do" comes to mind. :#
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,360Chief of Staff

I know. Sadly high hypocrisy is nothing new in politics, religion or any other walk of life. "Do as I say not as I do" comes to mind. :#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35K6vQRt67g
    Don't worry when I come to power, I will be a fair and
    even handed Dictator. :D
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,360Chief of Staff
    Well, you've got my vote TP- you couldn't do any worse than Cameron & Osborne etc!
    :)) I can't wait, I feel I've missed out on all the sex and drugs parties. :))
    I'll be like an over weight Charlie Sheen. ;)
    Barbel wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35K6vQRt67g

Yes, that's a great song and video, Barbel. :) -{
    They're being caught holding drink, drugs sex orgies ! :))

Sounds a bit like the leader of the Church of Thunderpussy :v

A second coming, is always guaranteed ! ;) .....
    ..... With the followers of the church of TP.
    Gutted that Germany : Netherlands had to be cancelled some minutes ago.

But understandable - I wouldn't have wanted to play if I was one of them and I wouldn't want to be in charge for the security in Hannover tonight.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,602Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:

But understandable - I wouldn't have wanted to play if I was one of them and I wouldn't want to be in charge for the security in Hannover tonight.

Although I find it odd that the security was so lapse in the first place ?:) but it certainly isn't worth taking chances...
    YNWA 97
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

Just sent you a PM on this before I read this post. I wonder what exactly is going down there. From what I heared it was a false alarm of a suspious package that was spotted, I also saw a picture of some police men holding someone under fire in Hannover.

(Atleast we didn't get to be slaughtered by the Germans in the game tonight though :)) )
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
    I have no wish to criticise or second-guess the security forces because it must be virtually impossible to stop anyone from committing any act if they are willing to die in the attempt, however, we really do need to improve over all security and intelligence everywhere otherwise we'll see every sporting event, concert, public event etc cancelled by a single phone call or a misplaced plastic bag. We must be cautious and not take chances, however we've seen a major football match cancelled in Germany tonight and a concert and that could easily become the norm if we don't get on top of things quickly.
    He decision was not only based on the suitcase which has been found.
    We've had intelligence infos that an attack was planned and that one of the persons,,that we are watching closely was near the stadium.

I think that we have to support those who took that decision - certainly not easily!

(Atleast we didn't get to be slaughtered by the Germans in the game tonight though :)) )

Don't worry - will happen soon for sure :D

Higgins wrote:
    He decision was not only based on the suitcase which has been found.
    We've had intelligence infos that an attack was planned and that one of the persons,,that we are watching closely was near the stadium.

I think that we have to support those who took that decision - certainly not easily!

I agree entirely. I'm not second guessing them at all and I can only imagine the pressure placed on the person who has to make the Go/No-go decision, Higgy-san.
    Higgins X-(

Update: It seems that there was an info from french Intelligence that an iraqui sleeper was planning an attack in Hannover

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    It must be incredibly frustrating for the Security Forces. An incident like the one in Paris on Saturday now means that their hands are forced whenever there's intelligence -whether real or not - suggesting another attack.

What would you do: ignore it and risk a real attack, or succumb, even though causing fear and disruption is what the perpetrators want?
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,602Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    Update: It seems that there was an info from french Intelligence that an iraqui sleeper was planning an attack in Hannover

I hope they find him !
    YNWA 97
    Like those two Air France flights from the US to Paris yesterday which had to divert to Salt Lake City and Halifax because of phoned-in bomb threats. ISIL really don't do bomb threats. They do bombs. However, what choice do the authorities have right now in taking these sorts of things seriously even though they know that in all likelihood it's a hoax. Hopefully the FBI will catch the perpetrator and send them to prison for a very seriously long time. What many don't realise is that whenever an aircraft is diverted, it's not just an inconvenience for the passengers and a massive (and I mean MASSIVE) expense for the airline, but lives are put at risk as well. The aircraft that diverted to Salt Lake was an A380, the largest airliner in the world and although the Salt Lake City airport is big enough to handle one, it's doubtful that one has ever landed there before and highly probable that the AF pilot had never landed there either.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    The British SAS are to be given £2 Billion ,to fight ISIS after the terrible events in Paris ,So our government have got money after all ,so why all the police cuts .
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?