The Rant Box

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    People have thrown personal attacks on me here when discussing James Bond. If we can't discuss politics, we can't discuss Bond either. People's feelings will be hurt, even if we only discussed puppies and kittens.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,336Chief of Staff
    The difference is, the site exists to discuss James Bond not politics. Politics could be off-limits without affecting the site drastically.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Well, if that was true, most of the threads in the off-topics would be closed.

Or where exactly is the James Bond discussion in the SABS ?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    No, they wouldn't- that's why it's labelled "Off Topic". And 99% of these don't lead to personal attacks, which is the problem we want to avoid.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Mainstream media - blinkers for the masses....

https://youtu.be/ZxcAN0t6GrI
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    ... but can warmly agree on bonds (...) watches,

No! :D

Chriscoop wrote:
    actors etc.

No f...ing way! :p
    Or you can completely disagree with certain magnum characters on absolutely everything all the time :007)
    Just because I don't despise Tim Dalton doesn't mean we don't share common ground on other bond actors Higgins does it?
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    There is a reason that politics and religion shouldn't be discussed among friends and family.

Really? How the society we live in in shaped should not be discussed among the persons closest to you? ?:)

I have tried to find the entire interview by ABC, but so far I haven't found it.
    Higgins wrote:
    There is a reason that politics and religion shouldn't be discussed among friends and family.

Neither should firearms be discussed X-(

Higgins loves guns, especially big ones

20170126_185642.jpg
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I don't argue politics with anyone anymore, as They're
    Always wrong and I'm always right ! :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Chriscoop wrote:

Higgins loves guns, especially big ones

20170126_185642.jpg

I use them, but don't discuss them

Barbel wrote:
    No, they wouldn't- that's why it's labelled "Off Topic". And 99% of these don't lead to personal attacks, which is the problem we want to avoid.

The Trump thread was also in the off-topic.

And it was recently closed because of a disagreement between Joshua and me, none of us have personally attacked each other.

But for the sake of balance, I can throw around some personal insults in other off-topic threads if hat makes you happy :)) :)) :))

Higgins wrote:
    And it was recently closed because of a disagreement between Joshua and me, none of us have personally attacked each other.

Higgins, you know full well that we discussed this by PM and I am not about to go into that again.
    edited January 2017
    I have seen Trump's reply to the question about torture. What he says is that he will rely on the advice and opinion of general Mattis and other top officials around him. But he is very clear on the fact that he himself has no reservations about allowing torture.
    I see little reason to be reassured by this. But Trump has brought into his administration people with different opinions. Some of them have spoken in front of the Senate and revealed opinions that are very different to Trump's on key issues in their field. Unorthodox, yes, but hopefully a good sign.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,584Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:

That's not true...that thread always ends in personal attacks...which I find disappointing :#
    YNWA 97
    Sorry, Joshua may have gotten a bit heated, I fail to find the personal insults.
    You are welcome to pm me quotes

Again?
    I don't agree that it always ends in personal attacks. They do end that way quite often, and I too find it disapointing. But I have suggested to ban (for a period) members who uses personal abuse in discussions. This way the Mods target the hotheads and not the entire debate. Give them one warning. If that doesn't work, ban the member from the entire AJB for, say, a week.
    Number24 wrote:

Really? How the society we live in in shaped should not be discussed among the persons closest to you? ?:)

I have tried to find the entire interview by ABC, but so far I haven't found it.
    He basically says, he believed torture can get results and he is for it within the bounds of US law, he also stated he would trust the advice of pompeo and mattis and if they didn't want to use such methods he would be fine with that too. When asked directly if he thought waterboarding worked he said he did. He tried to illustrate that ISIS are happy to decapitate people and show those images around the world, that they slaughter Christians and Muslims alike and his frustration at the western powers not being allowed to fight fire with fire.
    Two things struck me immediately about his comments, first being that the second Iraq war was launched off the back of a captured Al queda member who was high up in command saying Iraq had wmd after being tortured by the cia, he had already been tortured by us military to whom he had divulged a lot of information. In fact they thought he had nothing left to give. President Bush and Powell quoted this guys wmd claims.
    He told a lie to stop the cia's torture.
    Secondly if we fight fire with fire are we not then the same as the enemy? And do we lose any moral high ground? In the theatre of war I believe we should have a ferocious attitude to these people, but still abide by the Geneva convention. They may flay captives feet and let goats lick salt from them or disembowel captives alive and let the sun cook their insides while they are still alive. But then they are scum. I wonder how many ISIS captives die of asphyxiation during torture? How many need to die before we start looking like monsters?
    I don't argue politics with anyone anymore, as They're
    Always wrong and I'm always right ! :D
    Yeah you're right ;)
    Higgins wrote:
    Sorry, Joshua may have gotten a bit heated, I fail to find the personal insults.
    You are welcome to pm me quotes

I didn't particularly mean Joshua and yourself...but the personal insults are many and varied...please feel free to reread the thread -{
    And quite a few posts have been removed in that thread...especially where some people get 'over excited' and lose perspective... :#
    YNWA 97
    Number24 wrote:
    I don't agree that it always ends in personal attacks. They do end that way quite often, and I too find it disapointing.

And 'quite often' is too often :#

Number24 wrote:
    But I have suggested to ban (for a period) members who uses personal abuse in discussions. This way the Mods target the hotheads and not the entire debate. Give them one warning. If that doesn't work, ban the member from the entire AJB for, say, a week.

Excellent - many quiet weeks ahead as most will be banned :))
    YNWA 97
    Hopefully most will behave, especially after week deprieved of this excelent forum. The worst hotheads will learn after a bann or two or be made to leave for good. But a clear warning must be given beforehand, a ban only comes after heeding a warning. If a member posts something completely beyond the pale, a ban can follow automatically.
    A guy holds up a liquor store, taking the money from the till. He runs out and steals a car. The cops give chase, many fruit carts are overturned, cars crash at intersections, etc.
    He manages to evade the police and parks on a yellow line in the next town, where he's picked up for illegal parking. His past deeds are uncovered when he's taken to the station. The judge gives him 10 years.
    In the cells, a prisoner asks him what he's in for. He replies, "I parked on a yellow line, and they gave me 10 years".
    Was that a comment on my post? ?:)
    No, 24.
    Good. I'm easily confused. :s
    I have offered Barbel the following deal:

If he reopens the Trump thread, I'll never say a negative word about Dalton and his movies :D

And I've declined, since there's no way on Earth that's ever going to happen. ;)
    What??

The Dalton thing or the reopening of he thread?? :v

Ok, here's a counter-offer: no Dalton slagging for the next four years (the term of Trump's presidency) and I'll re-open it then.