The Rant Box

Comments

• VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    I am a traveler. First generation in a house :)) when I read about your experience I am so sad. It makes us all look bad. I strongly believe in the right to set up on property BUT if you do not respect the land and the people then you should not be able to. I was taught to leave a place cleaner than I found it. Sorry about your car. Karma will take care of it.
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Do you mean gypsy or simply from a family that travels around with no fixed above?
    Number24 wrote:
    Do you mean gypsy or simply from a family that travels around with no fixed above?
    Roma. A different strain of traveler from the UK.
    I think Roma is another word for Gypsy. Am I right?
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Have had them arrive on a Friday night near my gaff. Took two weeks to move them on. I all honesty if you couldn't see them you'd never know they were there, never heard a noise from them. They didn't thieve the drain covers but they did leave a shed load of rubbish behind. And dog **** everywhere.

My cousin on the other hand turned down the offer of a driveway and the next thing shotguns got pointed.

It's a shame but the vast majority of stories I've heard about them paint a rather negative picture.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Yes, but the preferred word by many. Gypsy was a misnomer given to the Roma people who were believed to be from Egypt (that is what people thought that when they passed by.) Plus now gypped means to steal or cheat so it is not preferred.
    minigeff wrote:
    Have had them arrive on a Friday night near my gaff. Took two weeks to move them on. I all honesty if you couldn't see them you'd never know they were there, never heard a noise from them. They didn't thieve the drain covers but they did leave a shed load of rubbish behind. And dog **** everywhere.

My cousin on the other hand turned down the offer of a driveway and the next thing shotguns got pointed.

It's a shame but the vast majority of stories I've heard about them paint a rather negative picture.
    The nice ones hide :)) I think a good deal also is because the Roma from elsewhere had a very different experience than UK travelers. I was always taught to be respectful largely in part to the aftermath of WWII.
    I know there are many names for the Roma/Romania, depending on where they travel and when they came to the area. My father remember "splint". They were people who spoke accented Norwegian. They sold, made and repaired things and asked to sleep in the barns. Now we have people we call "sigøyner" who are Roma. They lived under horrible conditions in Romania. Here they begge for money or/and are involved in organized crime. Sorry, but that's how it is.
    I didn't know there were Roma in the USA, that's interesting. My impression is as you said - the nice ones hide. My father and grandparents spoke well of the Splint, but they worried they would accidentaly set fire to the barn because of all the dry hay there.
    Well my limited experience with being honest about being Roma (while in Italy) did not end well. We have a large Roma population near where I live but none of us discuss it. It just leads to people thinking you are trash.
    Yes, my impression is that being a Roma is often difficult. Let me just say I think you are well liked here and being from a Traveler family won't change that :)
    Does that mean I am not the subject of the "how do I block a person" thread?
    I would be very disapointed if you were.
    I will work on being more of a jerk :))
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    There are a few who can help with that :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    Chriscoop wrote:
    We've recently had a lot of the travelling community camping near my sons nursery, they've moved on now but left an unholy mess on the field in front of the nursery, but they did take something with them..... The storm drain covers from the road. Which I discovered today when my back wheel bounced through an uncovered one, there was an almighty bang then a terrible grinding noise from the car. When I checked the shock absorber spring mount had severed the spring and the mount new jammed onto the top of the tyre, I tried to hobble home but the tyre burnt through, I'm self employed and downtime is costly especially when I'm going on holiday at the end of this week! Thankfully the mother in law leant me her car so I could get to work and mine has now gone for repair and a 250 quid bill, all thanks to a thieving bugger and a few quid scrap. X-(

I feel your pain :#
    It's bad enough in the first place without having to pay for wanton vandalism X-(
    We've had storm drain covers 'go missing' before now...I've no idea how these people get money for them as you can't (supposedly) weigh them in for scrap anymore...
    I'd write to your local council and claim the money back from them.
    YNWA 97
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    We've recently had a lot of the travelling community camping near my sons nursery, they've moved on now but left an unholy mess on the field in front of the nursery, but they did take something with them..... The storm drain covers from the road. Which I discovered today when my back wheel bounced through an uncovered one, there was an almighty bang then a terrible grinding noise from the car. When I checked the shock absorber spring mount had severed the spring and the mount new jammed onto the top of the tyre, I tried to hobble home but the tyre burnt through, I'm self employed and downtime is costly especially when I'm going on holiday at the end of this week! Thankfully the mother in law leant me her car so I could get to work and mine has now gone for repair and a 250 quid bill, all thanks to a thieving bugger and a few quid scrap. X-(

I feel your pain :#
    It's bad enough in the first place without having to pay for wanton vandalism X-(
    We've had storm drain covers 'go missing' before now...I've no idea how these people get money for them as you can't (supposedly) weigh them in for scrap anymore...
    I'd write to your local council and claim the money back from them.
    Well I know of 3 scrap yards within 25 miles and all are owned by gypsy families, Im ignorant to the nuances of laws when it comes to traveller's?? How come their kids dont have to attend school regularly? Why are they exempt from tax? How do they have bank accounts without an address? Some not all seem completely free to do as they please.
    I've also been down the claiming for damage from the council before, it's a long and drawn out process also doesn't help that I didn't take any photos at the time, but when I went back last night after work to do that a shiny new cover was in place.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Personally I see the beggars as a healthy reminder that there is poverty in the world, something that is possible to forget in a society like the one I live in. I understand if others feel differently, but I live in the country and don't experience the situation often.
    :)) Sorry Number24 but there ain't no poor travellers ! They all drive beautiful cars, which is
    Easy if you neither tax nor insure them.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    There are poor Travelers. I have seen them sleeping under high way overpasses (right term?) When interviewed they said it was better than living in Romania!
    There are also rich Travelers, sadly often from questionable sources.
    I guess we all have different experiences with them.
    Number24 wrote:
    There are poor Travelers. I have seen them sleeping under high way overpasses (right term?) When interviewed they said it was better than living in Romania!
    There are also rich Travelers, sadly often from questionable sources.
    Surely these are homeless Romanians not travellers or gypsy people? We have people sleeping in doorways and under bridges in the UK too, but those aren't the bare knuckle fighting, thieving tarmac layers who steel Road iron works. You should Google " my big fat gypsy wedding " to have a look at some UK " travellers"
    edited August 2017
    Let me be clear that I know some Roma only pretend to be poor while actually being rich, and most of these are criminals. There was a highly public case in Bergen where the Facebook accounts of the "beggars" showed a very luxurious life style and large villas in Romania. But claiming that all Travelers are rich quite is simply wrong.
    My family was quite poor and did not own a car and paid taxes. All but my Grandfather was killed in camps during WWII in Poland. My Grandmother grew up in a work camp in Italy. Yes, they were boxers (I was too, the horror) but also has steady jobs in factories. I have to say I am not terribly thrilled about the direction of this conversation. Replace "gypsy" with "black" and this dialogue sounds like Fox coverage on life in Baltimore. You all are also creeping up on talk about why they were declared "antisocial" and thus okay to kill.
    You were a boxer?!!!!

I too react to the tone of some of these posts. Mike she says: substitute "gipsy" with "black" (or "jew") and look at your posts. Seriously, TP. Do a little bit of research about your claim that there are no poor Travelers/Roma. Please.
    In my experience " There are No poor travellers" , I can't speak for your experiences, I do think it does
    Smack of a certain amount of intellectual snobbery that because you once saw a homeless person.
    Somehow, that overrides my experiences of that Community.
    I think the experiences in different countries are obviously very different as are the people we are talking about, I think predominantly the issues in the UK are with so called Irish travellers or tinkers as my father would call them. I certainly do not think discussing the where with all of their nature here is anything other than that. If what they get up to in UK is problematic or illegal or indeed antisocial such as defecating at the side of a pre school nursery, theft, violence, intimidation and they have the ability to swerve justice by hiding behind the traveller status then this is wrong. No other ethnic minority has this luxury in the UK. I think we are all talking at cross purposes and from what you say Vesper I wouldn't recognise your family description as anything remotely like the travellers I'm talking about. If you are offended then please accept my apologies it was not intended.
    In my experience " There are No poor travellers" , I can't speak for your experiences, I do think it does
    Smack of a certain amount of intellectual snobbery that because you once saw a homeless person.
    Somehow, that overrides my experiences of that Community.
    We come to it again that the only group we can discuss are white heterosexual men from working class upwards :#
    Chriscoop: we can discuss any group we want, but it should be fact- based and with some dignity.

TP: It's not about experiences, it's about facts. While some Roma are rich off crime, most of them are among the poor est atomic group in Europe.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    edited August 2017
    full.jpg

Why has she never been a Bond girl....
    Dalton Rulez™
    My posts are fact based and I'm not sure when I lost my dignity? As I've said we discussing different groups of people, TP, myself, minigeff and Sir Miles are alluding to the same group, yourself and Vesper are talking about a different or even 2 different groups. We've even had the self styled "gypsy king" Paddy Doherty on celebrity big brother. If you Google him you will see what people we are talking about.