The Rant Box

Comments

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    RAF just cancelled my flight completely (supposed to be flying to UK tomorrow)

Fecked off, hotels and onward flights booked and initial plans in ruins :v
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Not much you can say except Sorry, that's terrible.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    RAF just cancelled my flight completely (supposed to be flying to UK tomorrow)

Fecked off, hotels and onward flights booked and initial plans in ruins :v
    Raf are worse than Ryanair
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    Ryanair claims Norwegian will go belly up due to the investments in new planes.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I just saw the newest trailer for "The Snowman", based on Jo Nesbø's novel. It looks very promising other than one thing:
    The name of the main character (Harry Hole) is pronounced wrong. Michael Fassbeneder says "Harry Hol". "Hole" should have an sound at the end, sounding like the E in "best". X-(

The trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JepjuABZd_o
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I just saw the newest trailer for "The Snowman", based on Jo Nesbø's novel. It looks very promising other than one thing:
    The name of the main character (Harry Hole) is pronounced wrong. Michael Fassbeneder says "Harry Hol". "Hole" should have an sound at the end, sounding like the E in "best". X-(

The trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JepjuABZd_o

Does look interesting.

I guess Hole pronounced wrong on purpose for us lot
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    It's very understandable for the average reader, but less so for a major production filmed in Norway. I think the name Hole is discussed in the first novel, the one set in Australia. Harry Hole figures the English meaning of the word fits well with the way he feels about himself.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,569Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    It's very understandable for the average reader, but less so for a major production filmed in Norway. I think the name Hole is discussed in the first novel, the one set in Australia. Harry Hole figures the English meaning of the word fits well with the way he feels about himself.

The correct pronunciation of his name is mentioned in a couple of the novels...they are a good read -{
    YNWA 97
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    (Sigh)

'Flat earthers'

Don't think that rant needs an expansion really.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    (Sigh)

'Flat earthers'

As in flat earth conspiracy? Or flat battery due to earth leak?
    Chriscoop wrote:
    minigeff wrote:
    (Sigh)

'Flat earthers'

:))

The former.

At least I can understand the logic behind a flat battery.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

The correct pronunciation of his name is mentioned in a couple of the novels...they are a good read -{

I seem to remember that's correct. Has "Thirst" been publised in English yet? Has anyone read it?
    I'm waiting until I can borrow it at the library.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Are there really still people out there who disbelieve that the world is flat, minigeff?
    minigeff wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    minigeff wrote:
    (Sigh)

'Flat earthers'

:))

The former.

At least I can understand the logic behind a flat battery.
    Oh that, up there with " Elvis lives on the moon "
    Are there really still people out there who disbelieve that the world is flat, minigeff?

Sadly yes.

I suggest a world wide cull by sending them into the sun so they can see the errors of their misguided way before being vaporised.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    My Boss surely does. He also thinks dinosaurs bones are actually chicken bones that have been planted by scientist :#
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
    Since you're in the country you're in I have to ask: really?
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    I've seen it argued that people never really believed the world was flat, at least since the days of Greek philosophers. Terry Jones, who was a historian before he was a comedian, makes this argument in his documentrary Medieval Lives.
    Certainly even throughout the so-called Dark Ages, people in positions of power, navigators, and merchants had some idea of the shape of the earth, although they underestimated its size
    Normal folks who never travelled may not have known this, especially folks who lived their entire lives in one place without ever meeting anybody else who travelled. The church would have further confused the issue by representing the world symbolically in the shape of Mappae Mundi , instead of scientific cartography.
    But anybody who sailed, or did business with sailors, would be familiar with the phenomenon of land disappearing over the horizon, due to curvature of the earth.

Eratosthenes calculated the circumference of the planet circa 250BC, by determining the angle of the sun on the solstice from two different latitudes in Egypt (I presume in different years). He estimated 44,100 km, which was only a 10% error. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

I blame the Internet, especially You Tube conspiracy theory videos! 8-)
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

I blame the Internet, especially You Tube conspiracy theory videos! 8-)
    I actually believe that I'd be genuinely surprised by how underpopulated the mental institutions are in the States.
    a reasonable rate of return
    Is this because usually only rich people can afford to stay in mental institutions in the US? We know rich people don't go insane (they are just eccentric), so very few are in mental institutions over there. :))
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,569Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

I seem to remember that's correct. Has "Thirst" been publised in English yet? Has anyone read it?
    I'm waiting until I can borrow it at the library.

It has...but I haven't read it yet either.
    YNWA 97
    Number24 wrote:
    Is this because usually only rich people can afford to stay in mental institutions in the US? We know rich people don't go insane (they are just eccentric), so very few are in mental institutions over there. :))

There's one such institution that has only one solitary patient, can't remember the name of the place, it's something obvious but my minds gone blank, I know it's at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC :D :o
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    I've heard of that place. Isn't it an upscale adress in spite of being in a black neighbourhood? In that case the occupant is eccentric, not insane.
    Apparently he doesn't like people on his lawn, he's like Elliot Carver but instead of newspapers, magazines and TV shows he just tweets a lot.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    In my opinion Madness is just a state of mind. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    I'm still thinking about proofs of the spherical shape of the earth...
    Number24, you live pretty far north
    what does the sun do on summer solstice where you live? do you get a 24 hour day?
    We get many hours of sunlight in the summer where I live, but not 24 hours. But when I was in the army I was well north of the Arctic Circle and there we had sun day and night in the summer. I'm glad someone is finally taking the scientific aproach to this question after all these years, Caractacus Potts.
    http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/lee-rigby-killer-michael-adebolajos-%C2%A3100000-compo-claim-for-psychological-scars-he-suffered-in-scuffle-with-prison-staff/ar-AArufNN?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp
    Lee Rigby killer Michael Adebolajo's £100,000 compo claim for 'psychological scars' he suffered in scuffle with prison staff !!!!!
    This story shows how stupid we as a country have become. We compensate terrorist killers 8-)
    The killers of an Unarmed and outnumbered man hacked to death with machetes! X-(
    .... A sharp drop with a rope would ease all his troubles.
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/lee-rigby-killer-michael-adebolajos-%C2%A3100000-compo-claim-for-psychological-scars-he-suffered-in-scuffle-with-prison-staff/ar-AArufNN?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp
    Lee Rigby killer Michael Adebolajo's £100,000 compo claim for 'psychological scars' he suffered in scuffle with prison staff !!!!!
    This story shows how stupid we as a country have become. We compensate terrorist killers 8-)
    The killers of an Unarmed and outnumbered man hacked to death with machetes! X-(
    .... A sharp drop with a rope would ease all his troubles.

He can claim all he wants - I think his chances of actually seeing any compensation are precisely zero.