The Rant Box

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    I agree, I can't understand some places charging for it ( tight gits )
    While other, coffee shops, restaurants etc offer it free.

Might be a number of reasons why. If you get too many people on it at once, it can slow it down. People downloading music and movies can slow it down to. I imagine some places turn the strength of their signal down so people two doors down can't use their signal. Some offer a free passcode with the purchase of a cup of coffee or pastry. The internet doesn't come free for businesses and those offering super fast internet speeds are the ones probably charging a fee to use their signal.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    There are devices you can buy that let you alter your IP address - so if you are abroad you plug the device in to your computer via the USB port and 'switch' your address back to Blighty and you can watch what you want.

My hubby started explaining that to me but I switched off as it was getting a bit technical :s

It all just seems a bit ludicrous it's not readily available.

I'm not bothered really,I can survive. I recorded Tina's demise so will just have to watch when I get home :))
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I never trust Public WIFI anyway. -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Most Friday nights I'm shopping at the local shopping centre and to keep up
    With AJB I use their wifi, which is so slow. Infact at times slower than the
    Old dial up. :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,610Chief of Staff
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    There are devices you can buy that let you alter your IP address - so if you are abroad you plug the device in to your computer via the USB port and 'switch' your address back to Blighty and you can watch what you want.

My hubby started explaining that to me but I switched off as it was getting a bit technical :s

It all just seems a bit ludicrous it's not readily available.

I'm not bothered really,I can survive. I recorded Tina's demise so will just have to watch when I get home :))

It's quite simple once you have used it a couple of times - it also acts as a secure link if you are using public wifi, so your info cannot be stolen...they cost about £50...QVC sell them...
    YNWA 97
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    I have had the good fortune to be travelling a bit recently. France last week and now Spain.

My rant is why can't you use internet services like BBC IPlayer or 4OD etc when abroad ????

It's so ridiculous. I can understand why they don't want people using it but why can't they either use a subscription service for when abroad or with iPlayer you could put your licence fee number in to access it ....

So stupid because when I am in the UK I watch TV on my TV!!! Don't need internet services

You can't access BBC i player from abroad because those residents don't pay the license fee....and it would mean anyone could watch it....

Annoying yes, but logical in a way. It would be annoying as a license fee payer to know that everyone else could watch what I have to pay for...

It will be interesting to see what happens when the fee is scrapped.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    My Neighbor decided to have a go at the Misses this Morning, apparently because of some loud Noises we made last Night :s
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    You super stud you :D
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    My Neighbor decided to have a go at the Misses this Morning, apparently because of some loud Noises we made last Night :s
    You need to nail up egg crates on the walls of your bedroom. B-)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    or stick her head in the pillow :v :D
    Lexi wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:
    I have had the good fortune to be travelling a bit recently. France last week and now Spain.

My rant is why can't you use internet services like BBC IPlayer or 4OD etc when abroad ????

It's so ridiculous. I can understand why they don't want people using it but why can't they either use a subscription service for when abroad or with iPlayer you could put your licence fee number in to access it ....

So stupid because when I am in the UK I watch TV on my TV!!! Don't need internet services

You can't access BBC i player from abroad because those residents don't pay the license fee....and it would mean anyone could watch it....

Annoying yes, but logical in a way. It would be annoying as a license fee payer to know that everyone else could watch what I have to pay for...

I appreciate that .... I can quite understand why it is so but surprised there isn't either a subscription for itv, C4 etc and as for BBC you should be able to put your licence number in and access
    chrisisall wrote:

Funny thing is, our Bedroom is on the opposite Side of the Flat and nowhere near our Neighbor :))
    chrisisall wrote:

Funny thing is, our Bedroom is on the opposite Side of the Flat and nowhere near our Neighbor :))
    All the more need seein' as how loud you two must be! :x
    Love's young Dream as they say ;) :))
    I think many are jumping to conclusions, I've been told it was the singing that upset the neighbour !
    as AOS and GF, do a tribute act to an 80s Duo. :v :))
    http://youtu.be/72M_4GfvVLM
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    :)) :)) How did you find out?
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Lexi wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

I appreciate that .... I can quite understand why it is so but surprised there isn't either a subscription for itv, C4 etc and as for BBC you should be able to put your licence number in and access

Only a woman would use that type of logic! :))

Doesn't sky have an anywhere subscription...? Although I'm not sure that includes abroad....
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Here's another rant ...

Why can't the sun shine in the UK like it does in the Costa Del Sol ?? Hey? Hey? B-) B-)
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Here's another rant ...

Why can't the sun shine in the UK like it does in the Costa Del Sol ?? Hey? Hey? B-) B-)

Or pringles not have any calories! :))
    My ongoing fight with Bloody BT. :#
    Not so long ago they said everthing had been sorted with my Direct Debit, I had been over charged by £123
    Which I was now in credit, Well this month had to call them again over the same problem. X-( After much
    going through records It now turns out ( Untill I have to call them next month ) that I'm in credit to the tune
    of almost £500 :o and have been refunded £187 to my bank account.
    Why is it up to me to call and get this sorted, Don't they pay people to do this ? Having said that I'm now so
    much in credit, I doubt I'l ever have to increase my DD ever again. :))
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,610Chief of Staff
    My ongoing fight with Bloody BT. :#

Yeah...that Bondtots IS annoying X-(

:D
    YNWA 97
    Never give up TP :))
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    read in the paper tonight, that London buses will be laying on extra night buses to get
    England fans home after they have finished watching the games ,very commendable ,but London underground (the tube)
    say they wont ,because they havnt been given enough notification , im sorry but how is 4 years not enough notification,
    im sorry or is that just me being a grumpy git :))
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    Thats a long bus ride Rio de Janeiro to London :))
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    My rant is for pedestrians who race to get ahead of you on the pavement, the stairs, the escalator, getting on/off bus/tube etc...and then slow down or stop completely. That's when I wish I had those Rosa Klebb toe-blades and I could slice a few people's tendons and push them aside X-( . Is that wrong of me? ;%
    No!
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    went into Laura Ashley on Sunday (my wife wanted to show me something for the home)any way they didn't have one in stock
    so I enquired if she ( the sales advisor)knew of a store that had said item ,and then we could drive over to see it
    lady replies that we would have to get in touch with customer services ,but don't do it today (Sunday) as they are shut ie they are not at work,i laughed ,she laughed and I said well that's typical of a a retail head office they tell every one else to work on Sunday
    but have it off themselves ,bastards X-(
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    I never liked Sunday opening as I think it's not asking too much to let
    Workers have a Family day off.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I never liked Sunday opening as I think it's not asking too much to let
    Workers have a Family day off.

I agree entirely. Although it's convenient for people who work M-F, we managed perfectly well before Sunday opening and I do think it means that too many families don't have that day together. And regardless of what people say about people enjoying working Sundays etc, I know from many friends that half of them are forced to work on Sundays against their will because the majority of people still like to have a conventional weekend off.
    Also perhaps some people haven't realised that history has shown that
    Industrial techniques spread. So in a few years, as with retail. We'll see
    Other business opening on a Sunday, like Banks, Doctors surgeries,
    Council offices etc.