The Rant Box

Comments

• David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Up here in the North of England, if we're going round the regions, the feeling in my bit of white lower middle class land (re post 1402 to see who my MP is) is that we don't see why all the effort was put into "saving" Scotland and would probably better off out of Europe.

All self-interest, isn't it? :#
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Yeah, there' s always nutters who want to piss on 'The Establishment" with their 'better" ideas for living.
    I don't want to put words in your mouth sir, but are you saying the 'establishment' works just fine as it is? Is there no need to shake things up a bit?
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    chrisisall wrote:
    Yeah, there' s always nutters who want to piss on 'The Establishment" with their 'better" ideas for living.
    I don't want to put words in your mouth sir, but are you saying the 'establishment' works just fine as it is? Is there no need to shake things up a bit?

No, not saying that. The Established system doesn't necessarily work but its the best one, for all its shortcomings, I've seen on offer. Certainly not madcap schemes put forward by self-promoting nutter-butter celebrities like Brand.

I was always taught that self reliance and looking after number one was the only way forward in a world as fucked up as ours. You can winge and you can use the democratic process, for better or worse. Or you can stop winging and get off your arse and stand for something and use due process. If one doesn't - and most of us don't - you deserve most of the crap you get.

Alternatively, I guess, there's the anarchy route. But that would mean us giving up our Bond collections. Though I agree that after the revolution some would end up with larger Bond collections than they started with.

-{
    I was always taught that self reliance and looking after number one was the only way forward in a world as fucked up as ours.
    It's not always about what you were taught. Discovering new ways of percieving & handling problems is key to evolution.

Bond knows this. :007)
    chrisisall wrote:
    I was always taught that self reliance and looking after number one was the only way forward in a world as fucked up as ours.
    It's not always about what you were taught. Discovering new ways of percieving & handling problems is key to evolution.

Bond knows this. :007)

Well, if one doesn't do as one's taught - as wonderfully free spirited as that sounds - how does one have a code of values to follow? Add to that the things - problems, pleasures - one encounters daily and one learns to change to adapt to the demands of the dump we live in

James Bond certainly had a code of values and self reliant resourcefulness. And was a slave of the British Establishment. ;)
    Well, if one doesn't do as one's taught how does one have a code of values to follow?
    The world is our buffet- simply pick the values you want to have. Be bold. Create and re-create yourself. I was taught to be Episcopalian, but now I'm Buddhist, of a sort. I was taught to be a victim in school, so learned martial arts and ended that nonsense myself. I was taught Republicans had all the answers, but I learned that they're just as messed up as the 'other side'.

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    Nothing more will I teach you today. Clear your mind of questions.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Well, if one doesn't do as one's taught how does one have a code of values to follow?
    The world is our buffet- simply pick the values you want to have. Be bold. Create and re-create yourself. I was taught to be Episcopalian, but now I'm Buddhist, of a sort. I was taught to be a victim in school, so learned martial arts and ended that nonsense myself. I was taught Republicans had all the answers, but I learned that they're just as messed up as the 'other side'.

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    Nothing more will I teach you today. Clear your mind of questions.

Yeah, well, I wasn't brought up in the woods by wolves. Nor do I have a religious doctrine to follow.

But the end product seems to be the same self-sufficiency. You got your core values, and most of them - for most of us? - still hold. Then you got the defensive mechanisms from life's experiences and you adapt.

Things may be shitty. But not all things that happen are ****. Not everything requires naval-gazing review and self analysis. It is possible to be as happy as you can in your own skin. If not...

-{
    But the end product seems to be the same self-sufficiency. You got your core values
    My early home life included some spousal abuse, and this I did not like, so I used Kirk & Spock as more positive role models. I've never hit my women (not even a Connery slap). I borrowed many core values from many sources in my formative years other than what I was 'taught'.
    When life gives you lemons, go to the store & get what you really wanted. :))
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Life gave me Lemons, when I asked for Limes.. :#
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I remember once being asked by a workmate how on earth was I
    Going to raise my kids with any morals ( given I'm an atheist) :))
    Needless to say my kids are doing very well in school, not into drugs
    Or mugging people etc. And will go on to be a benefit to the country
    As they want to be teachers.
    They do religion in school of course, which have lead to many fun debates
    As I point out some of the bits of the Bible, the school doesn't mention.
    The book of Leviticus, is always good for a laugh ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Limes..
    Aisle 2, towards the back.
    Or if you work in Aldershot Tescos with me, right opposite the Entrance :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    are you not worried there have been a lot of drive by Lime thefts lately. :#
    I'd move them away from the enterence for safety
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    The Security that we employ would make AS think twice :))
    you left of the DA, it's ASDA! :))
    :)) :))
    The Security that we employ would make AS think twice :))
    :)) :))
    I'm an atheist
    "I don't care what you believe; just believe!" - Shepherd Book
    Do you believe in Life after Love? - Cher
    " I believe in a reasonable rate of return " Le Chiffre :))
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,692MI6 Agent
    I'm not a belieber. :))
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    " I believe in a reasonable rate of return " Le Chiffre :))
    What about Jane Seymour? I was watching LALD for the first time...
    then I saw her face, now I'm a believer...
    without a trace,
    of doubt in my mind...
    I believe for every drop of rain that falls .... Someone gets wet ! :))

We all know that your his biggest over-age Fan :))
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,692MI6 Agent

We all know that your his biggest over-age Fan :))

Though apparently Ann Frank would have been... :o
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Just one of his many stupid Comments :#
    I wish people would get of Justin's back!
    He a hugely talented, writer and performer.
    With ......... Sorry ,I can't keep a straight face ! :)) :)) :))
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Read today in the money page of the evening standard, Bank of England is saying ,interest rates will have to stay low,
    The Swedish national bank ,says its interest rates will now be zero until 2016 at least,9000 staff are being slungon the dole que by LLoyds bank, all because all these banks are not doing well?? .But then on the same page ,the paper is warning city bars ect ,to get extra champagne in as bankers bonuses (because they are doing well)will be high this year 8-) .Now I know im not the cleverest bloke around ,but please somebody explain :s
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    I'm an atheist
    "I don't care what you believe; just believe!" - Shepherd Book

Atheist Allience International is a non-prophet organisation, you know ...
    Number24 wrote:
    Atheist Allience International is a non-prophet organisation, you know ...
    Is that better than a plan?