Db5 Aston Martin replica project 2013

Comments

• minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Zundapp wrote:
    Found a software that would be used to make a buck
    Check out 123d maker.
    image.jpg
    Imaginär this to be a db5 and in plywood.
    The best is the software i free.

Martin.

Nice suggestion Martin. I believe that this software can export to many different filetypes which could also be used by CNC routing equipment. If the budget is there, you could literally have the buck parts made for you, all you'd have to do is fit it together and fill the spaces between each bulkhead.

With most of the kit car market (or popular kit cars) being open topped or ariel atom look a likes, i wonder how the roof and supporting pillars would be made. Bearing in mind that mass manufactured cars have to support their weight on their roof if tipped upside down, is this also a requirement of kit cars and replicas? If it is, some serious steelwork will be needed to give the strength, but even without it being a legal requirement it'd certainly improve the handling of the car and also give you some piece of mind when out trashing it :))

Anyone got any answers?
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • ZundappZundapp Posts: 139MI6 Agent
    Yes there is in the same software family,a way to export to 3D printer cnc router etc.
    Or export to pdf and print it.
    About roof support pillars i have to check it, but if I'm right we in Sweden don't have any regulations on that, just because it's a replica car. But it would be nice if you trash it.

Martin
    A buck like this for an aston db5
    Delivered and asembled
    At my place for£7430.
    image.jpg
    But not on my budget , but it's free to ask, right :D

Martin
  • TravellingMattTravellingMatt Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    db5_ii.jpg

I have been thinking about this for many years.
    I design and build boats and this is a 3d model I am working on software I use for designing hulls.
    I have built kit cars and renovated classics, I have a S3 land rover right now. The DB5 has a similar wheelbase and width to the xk120. There are plenty of decent jag kits around with good chassis. I missed a rolling chassis on ebay recently. The bulkhead would need moving but everything else would be fine.
    db5_ii.jpg

I have been thinking about this for many years.
    I design and build boats and this is a 3d model I am working on software I use for designing hulls.
    I have built kit cars and renovated classics, I have a S3 land rover right now. The DB5 has a similar wheelbase and width to the xk120. There are plenty of decent jag kits around with good chassis. I missed a rolling chassis on ebay recently. The bulkhead would need moving but everything else would be fine.
    Welcome, nice to see moore of db5 fans here with good ideas. How would you have done to make a replica db5? Fibreglass body or aluminum body? Please Share your ideas.

Martin.
    The db4 gt replica build website is down. :#
    Wonder what happend?
    image.jpg
    The kiddy aston changed design? Wonder why? Aston seems to protect their design.
    Martin
  • DB5007DB5007 Posts: 70MI6 Agent
    Who's serious about a full scale DB5 007 replica with all working gadgets??? its not going to be cheap! up for sale soon.
  • KleynenKleynen BelgiumPosts: 396MI6 Agent
    If you want I can deposit today $20 000 on your Nigerian or Indonesian account. :D
    funny thing, I am in Canada, but I am Belgian..
    DB5007 wrote:
    Who's serious about a full scale DB5 007 replica with all working gadgets??? its not going to be cheap! up for sale soon.

fiver do?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Eerst zien, dan geloven...
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Mr Google says this this translates as "use your common sense", but then my common sense also tells me that a 'full scale DB5 007 replica with all working gadgets" (tyre slashers? machine guns? Ejector seat?) is about as feasible as my chance of pulling Eva Green, Caterina Murino and Berenice Marlohe on a lads' night out.... :D
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    Yes, full scale DB5, with working gadgets, this car was built in the 60's with massive mechanical parts to make bumpers, guns, shield, among other movie magic. I have built replicas most of my life, and also movie cars. This car is not complicated to what I've done in the past. Even ejector seat will function. But this replica will only be for a true fan. With deep pockets. Working on this project for a year. Who would want to display the "the most famous car in the world" I grew up with one 10 min from my house, one of the promo cars with gadgets was on display at Frank Baker's Attic restaurant for 13 years.
    I think christof hit the nail on the head.

It's quite common knowledge that it's physically impossible to produce a real DB5 with all the gadgets we see from the films.

The tyre slasher can't be done because the hollow rear axle wouldn't take the weight of the car, the water tank would weigh over a ton and take up the room needed for the bullet proof screen, the gas for the machine guns wouldn't be able to fit anywhere either and the ejector seat firing would cause the car to snap in half and burn the driver to sinders.

I've never seen a thread on such BS go on for so long.

Replica '5' with all the working gadgets? Dream on!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    1st the tire slasher in the movie just bolted on, and I'm talking about building a replica movie car, as they worked in the prop car, these gadgets are easy to engineer, it was done 40 years ago, so it's not rocket science. Anything can be built, and yes , anything

Working Gadgets with remote or center console switches would include:

-Folding front signals with guns coming out, when fired, flash and smoke would come out the ends
    - rotating licence plates front and rear
    - front and rear moving bumper gaurds
    - custom mirror with rotating radar inside
    -GPS map monitor in center console
    -phone in door panel
    -weapons tray under seat with (not real weapons)
    -all working switches in center console
    -rear folding tail light housings with tire poppers that come out
    And fake oil to spray out or water (not a millions of gallons just to get the effect)
    -removable roof section
    - working ejector seat (not with a person, seat only)
    -
    -rear built proof screen that retracts
    -rear bumper guards that come in and out
    -rear rotating licence plate
    And for the right money, 2 options on rear only tire slasher, one with a screw on Center ( like in the movie)
    - or hydraulic actuated rear tire slashers. ( did I need to post my drawings of this design??

I guess for all the people who think this isn't possible, I guess stay tuned. Anything can be built, just cost $$$$$$. Never had a customer that I couldn't build something for.
    DB5007 wrote:
    1st the tire slasher in the movie just bolted on, and I'm talking about building a replica movie car, as they worked in the prop car, these gadgets are easy to engineer, it was done 40 years ago, so it's not rocket science. Anything can be built, and yes , anything

Working Gadgets with remote or center console switches would include:

-Folding front signals with guns coming out, when fired, flash and smoke would come out the ends
    - rotating licence plates front and rear
    - front and rear moving bumper gaurds
    - custom mirror with rotating radar inside
    -GPS map monitor in center console
    -phone in door panel
    -weapons tray under seat with (not real weapons)
    -all working switches in center console
    -rear folding tail light housings with tire poppers that come out
    And fake oil to spray out or water (not a millions of gallons just to get the effect)
    -removable roof section
    - working ejector seat (not with a person, seat only)
    -
    DB5007 wrote:
    And for the right money, 2 options on rear only tire slasher, one with a screw on Center ( like in the movie)
    - or hydraulic actuated rear tire slashers. ( did I need to post my drawings of this design??

I guess for all the people who think this isn't possible, I guess stay tuned. Anything can be built, just cost $$$$$$. Never had a customer that I couldn't build something for.

Ok so first you're saying you'll be making a replica of the movie car so the tyre slasher will bolt on.

Next you're saying you'll do a working hydraulic version as an optional extra.

Trouble is, all this replica db5 stuff is getting a tad daft and very old hat. It's like the boy that cried wolf.

We've had people here claim to have seen replicas, planning their own, building their own (at huge cost for crisp results) and even building the wrong model aston only to declare "I don't think it'll matter cos people like the DB4 more." (I seriously nearly wet myself at that)

What we have never seen though is an actual accurate replica with gadgets, or even a finished accurate replica.

So when yet another person appears to announce that they've got 'the latest and greatest ever' replica 5 with gadgets on the go, I just think 'oh god, here we go again.'

This is rapidly becoming the same kind of thread as the black James Bond idea. 18 pages of toss.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    DB5007 wrote:

Welcome to AJB, if you can do what you say!

Since you have registered 2 days ago - it's difficult for me to determine, if you are simply stirring hot air, or if you can do what you say.

So how about some pics of your recent works.

If it's good - I am sure it will be the easiest way to shut up all the doubters.
    Until you show us some pics, I am one of the doubters...
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited February 2014
    sure, here is some of my work, Im not going to show much of the project untill its painted, I dont need people taking my ideas ( on how we built it) since that is so well known for in the "kit car" or "replica" industry. I hand built this custom 356 Porsche rebody, with custom steel chassis, completely resotred this Ferrari F355, with a F430 600HP motor all custom made. Same as the "eleanor" mustang, my finished projects go on and on, not to mention movie cars. and for the DB5, here are pictures of the scan before body was made, this cost $3000 alone, not a cheap project, but im sure it will pay off, I will have another display piece coming out soon. as for joining a few days ago, it was only because I googled searched "DB5 replica" and this thread come up, and checking out the intrest. the guy building the DB4 car with a 3D printer in small blocks is cool, but will take forever, not to mention all the bodywork to smooth out each square, and if the bulkhead is off at all, its going to be one uneven body. now we have computers and materials to prototype cars so much faster. I will update pictures on DB5 when its in paint. most "forums" are full of negative people that have nothing better to do with their time anyways, so these people can sit at home and dream, and say it can't be done, I will be busy building these dreams. Thanks
    scan_2.jpg

scan_1.jpg

speed.jpg

fer.jpg

stang.jpg
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    DB5007 wrote:
    most "fourms" are full of negative ******s

I take it you mean "forums"? And please watch your language; I've edited your post meantime.
    Barbel wrote:
    DB5007 wrote:
    most "fourms" are full of negative ******s

I take it you mean "forums"? And please watch your language; I've edited your post meantime.

sorry, did'nt think it was a bad word, it;s not in Canada! lol its 4:am here, worked late, cheers.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the pics and waiting for resident expert minigeff for his thoughts.

IMO the "Porsche" looks more like a VW Beetle base but the DB5 stuff looks cool. -{
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    I've always said right from the start that if anyone did manage to build this holy grail of a db5 replica with gadgets I'd take my hat off to them.

Building cars isn't my line of work, and it's not something I have great knowledge of. However, I've seen and used various CNC stuff.

I've pointed out my thoughts on the printed DB4 previously, but to be fair I think it's amazing someone can put in such dedication but such a shame they've utilised the totally wrong technology for the job, plus they built the wrong can (DOH!!)

As far as this latest claim goes, go for it, blow us all out the park, amaze us with a well made accurate rendition of the DB5 and gobsmack us as all the gadgets fold out. If you did, you'd be the first and only person to have done so as far as I'm aware.

Porsches, meh, I'm not really into beetles, but anyone who can turn their hands to making cool cars has my admiration.

I just get bored of the same old advert.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    No offence, but the 3D scans you are showing are from an AM DB5 scale 1:8. Not from a real car!
    I know, because I made the same 3D scan to build my daughter’s pedal car.
  • texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,347MI6 Agent
    $ 3000 for a scan of a toy car sound expensive
    Think I've ID'd this guy.

From what I can make out there's some nice work he's been involved in, but no company website or much more info than what's already been shown here.

What few examples there are of his work, its some nice stuff.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • 5Jon5Jon Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    WELL WELL WELL, a replica DB5 ish? Well as close as one can be without a writ against you. Or so they think, so far so good anyway. But is likely to come with a half a million price tag? But have stated the price will be between 100k and 1 Mill. For me I think it looks fantastic. It is not a DB5, but an evolutionary move forward with the pure lines from the sixties. And to have all the modern comforts we all expect from a 20k car. Still out of most peoples price range though. Shame.
    image.jpg

image.jpg
  • 5Jon5Jon Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    5Jon wrote:
    WELL WELL WELL, a replica DB5 ish? Well as close as one can be without a writ against you. Or so they think, so far so good anyway. But is likely to come with a half a million price tag? But have stated the price will be between 100k and 1 Mill. For me I think it looks fantastic. It is not a DB5, but an evolutionary move forward with the pure lines from the sixties. And to have all the modern comforts we all expect from a 20k car. Still out of most peoples price range though. Shame.
    image.jpg

image.jpg
    the car is a Speedback to be made in the UK by another man also called David Brown. How amazing is that, and this David Brown I read also makes earth moving machines.
    Nice car. But as You Said no db5.wonder who's going to
    Succes first building one.

Martin