Db5 Aston Martin replica project 2013

Comments

• 5Jon5Jon Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    Voituer wrote:
    I too have been wanting to build one for many ( about 20) years - I have tons of bits. There is a guy near Preston trying to build one around a BMW convertible, apparently a similar wheelbase.

A formed aluminium body will probably cost in the region of £25k

I have never understood why a kit car maker has never designed a kit as its a relatively low volume production but each one would get a high price

Nick
    I live half hour North of Preston close to Lancaster/Morecambe. I am currently building a DB5 onto an M3, and I have had messages between myself and Voituer prior to starting the buildup. For all the purists, you would hate a stainless steel nut to replace a rusty one. You will hate it, but the car is for my self, not to sell on or to be pulled appart because it drives a lot better than the original DB5 owners that have spent 300K for what looks the same.

The DB5 in my opinion is the best looking car ever. The car was engineered in the sixties, and good for its time. But now we have ABS, traction controll, etc etc. my objective is to create the best looking car that works how we all demand a car to work in today's world.

All the body panels are all original DB5, nothing fibreglass, so not quite a copy kit car. More like a saved DB5 from the crusher. I have seats that will be re-trimmed. A complete dash with all original clocks and switches. All glass original. New wire wheels with 3 eared spinners, and stainless bumpers. Many parts from Aston Works. Original grill. Once complete, you will need to be a real expert to spot the difference. All door surrounds will be with the correct alloy poker dot trim. Radio an original Radiomobile. All the correct carpet trim. Even got original cigar ash tray and Horn push.
    It will be a 50/50 car between Aston and M3. The Aston you see, the M3 you don't.
    Why use an M3 you all ask? Well it works well for very little money. A large over supply of M3s compaired to very few DB5s. The old supply and demand equals price. The M3 is also a straight six with good performance. I would not do it with a 1.6 engine! I would not insult the car by doing that. The works or nothing!

The wheel base is to be shortened to 98" but the front end relates in size to the Aston. And lots of room under the wheel arches to reduce the track.
    Spent over 20K so far, and I recon it will take another 20K to complete. It has taken me over 5 years in obtaining parts, and the last two years so far building up, and possibly 2/3 more to complete. When complete it may not even be worth anything like what it has cost me to do.

I have bought from DVLA the number plate A216 BMT. Because the M3 is a 2003, I can use it.
    Watch this space for updates and pics.
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    What is "M3" exactly? Never heard of such a brand.
  • VoituerVoituer Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    Jag wrote:
    What is "M3" exactly? Never heard of such a brand.

BMW 3 series M
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    5Jon wrote:
    I live half hour North of Preston close to Lancaster/Morecambe. I am currently building a DB5 onto an M3, and I have had messages between myself and Voituer prior to starting the buildup. For all the purists, you would hate a stainless steel nut to replace a rusty one. You will hate it, but the car is for my self, not to sell on or to be pulled appart because it drives a lot better than the original DB5 owners that have spent 300K for what looks the same.

The DB5 in my opinion is the best looking car ever. The car was engineered in the sixties, and good for its time. But now we have ABS, traction controll, etc etc. my objective is to create the best looking car that works how we all demand a car to work in today's world.

All the body panels are all original DB5, nothing fibreglass, so not quite a copy kit car. More like a saved DB5 from the crusher. I have seats that will be re-trimmed. A complete dash with all original clocks and switches. All glass original. New wire wheels with 3 eared spinners, and stainless bumpers. Many parts from Aston Works. Original grill. Once complete, you will need to be a real expert to spot the difference. All door surrounds will be with the correct alloy poker dot trim. Radio an original Radiomobile. All the correct carpet trim. Even got original cigar ash tray and Horn push.
    It will be a 50/50 car between Aston and M3. The Aston you see, the M3 you don't.
    Why use an M3 you all ask? Well it works well for very little money. A large over supply of M3s compaired to very few DB5s. The old supply and demand equals price. The M3 is also a straight six with good performance. I would not do it with a 1.6 engine! I would not insult the car by doing that. The works or nothing!

The wheel base is to be shortened to 98" but the front end relates in size to the Aston. And lots of room under the wheel arches to reduce the track.
    Spent over 20K so far, and I recon it will take another 20K to complete. It has taken me over 5 years in obtaining parts, and the last two years so far building up, and possibly 2/3 more to complete. When complete it may not even be worth anything like what it has cost me to do.

I have bought from DVLA the number plate A216 BMT. Because the M3 is a 2003, I can use it.
    Watch this space for updates and pics.

Welcome to the board, 5Jon! -{

Sounds like a great project with a lot of passion going into it.

I am curios how you technically use the M3 base?
    Are you only using the bottom plate or a rooted out M3 skeleton (with removed bodyparts) and are now fitting the Aston shell onto it?

Would you mind to share pics from your project how it is today?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ZundappZundapp Posts: 139MI6 Agent
    Great 5jon finally you've found this forum. Heard about you and always wondered how your build
    Looked like. Would be great with some pictures.

Martin
  • Hart008Hart008 Posts: 710MI6 Agent
    Good luck guys on the awesome projects
    Keep us updated
    I tried to replicate - but at the moment isnt good enough cause there is no actual db5 to measure and all so it will be difficult , i guess i will need to wait longer once a few replica's are actually made then get the measurements.
    There is a rumour here in jakarta that one wealthy tycoon has bought one from Australia and shipped it here, but havent seen it so far...
    Yes i did ride the CAT
    Hi all. This is just the site to post my progress. For all those who hate the idea of a none original DB5, well have you ever driven one? I have, and they are not great. To even put updated power steering on a DB5 is a sin, but we evolve to make things better.

The car I am doing is for myself to use, not to polish in a museum. For the original DB5s and all other Bond cars from all the 007 movies, originality is key. To re-trim with new leather will be a real sin. Every scratch and dint is part of the cars history relating to the movies. There are many DB5s kept in original perfect condition anyway.

The benefits of my build, it will have Independant rear suspension, LSD, M3 brakes with ABS, traction controll, fuel injection that works well with fair MPG combined with performance. Power steering, six speed box, (not that I will ever get to the sixth gear) no over heating problems!!!

I am using the convertible M3. It is a lot more ridged, and it is cut right back so all that's left is the very basics to hold engine and drive train, and suspension in place.

The front suspension has been swapped for coil overs reduced down 65mm to be able to fit the body shape of the DB5. Please see pics posted. You can see the suspension tops removed with new plate ready to be welded in place.

The drive shafts cost £590 to be made 3" each shorter. Plus new bottom adjustable links again 3" shorter. The top links had to come off an E36 that are made from steel. The E46 are cast alloy. No good to shorten.

Hubs for the wire wheels cost £900 to have made. They bolt on. I have had to use 16" wheels like on the DB4 compared to the 15" on the DB5 to allow room for the M3 brake calliper. Only the real buff will notice. Close up you see cross drilled vented discs. But again who cares, this is an improvement, not a preserved DB5. If it was not for me, many of my parts may well of gone to make Coke Cans or mini motos in China.

I will upload more pics when there is real progress made. It's to cold in my garage in winter Nov-March, and my budget is about £150 per week. With most parts required to be one off bespoke items, they are very costly, so 2-3 years is realistic from now. The paint job will cost over 3K, and possibly another 3K in alloy panel beating to make good and fit well with what I have. If anyone is thinking of doing one, expect it to cost twice what you first think it may. When I think back I could of bought a DB5 back in 1983 for £3,000. I had a Lotus S2 for that, (another Bond classic) and it was still only worth £5,000 when I sold it in 1995.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    WOW!!!, @5jon you seem so knowledgable bout cars! true champion!
    how are you going to get the actual look? did you mould yours, or do you have a db5 that you have access to so you can measure and all that ?
    Yes i did ride the CAT
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Has anyone enquired about the cost of having a bodyshell made in GRP?

I looked into this about 2 or 3 years ago, and worked out it'd take about £2k to make the buck (that's doing it myself too, the £2k covers just materials.)

The only way I could think of keeping costs down was to either make the buck myself and give it to a GRP firm, give them the rights to use my design and ask for a shell in return or at least one for cost price or go into a deal with a kit car firm and join forces.

Trouble is, when faithfully copying a db5, it's not your design to give away, and making many or 'giving' another company permission to, would just put you on the AM radar....

Unless its a car of your own design (always a dream of mine), your only legal option is to go it alone and lump the costs of materials and hope for the best.

I'd rather my coin go on materials instead of court costs. :#

So has anyone else got any ideas on keeping costs down at all?
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Hart008 wrote:
    WOW!!!, @5jon you seem so knowledgable bout cars! true champion!
    how are you going to get the actual look? did you mould yours, or do you have a db5 that you have access to so you can measure and all that ?
    Hi, I have had a great opertunity to have access to several DB5s at Marksdaines Aston Workshop to take all the measurement I required before I started. The DB5 is not a small car like an MGBGT. It is a good medium size, and that's why the BMW M3 is just the right choice. Not the perfect choice, but the best compromise.
    There is no moulds. It is made up all from Aston Martin DB5 body panels. I hope it will drive ok. It's not until I take it on to the circuit and play with the camber adjusters to see what it can be capable of. Going off the basics, the track is to narrow to enable the fitting of the wheel spinners within the body plane. It looks the part, but not good to hold the road well. Why does Ferrari make as wide as possible, and as low as possible. Because it works. It will be to look at a DB5. None of these kit car looks that never just quite look right.
    So what are these original db5 panels going to be fitted to?

As every db5 is different, how will you get the look of the car right?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Rainier WolfcastleRainier Wolfcastle Posts: 484MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    So what are these original db5 panels going to be fitted to?

Yes, I am wondering too: Since the BMW is a unitized body design, it will not be easy to retain a rigid body. When a convertible is made from a coupe, the engineers have to add reinforcements - with the aid of computers, and they know what they are doing. I don't think you just can leave the M3 floorpan and add some Aston body parts and hope to still have a rigid, driveable chassis. I guess the camber settings will be the least problem ... Add to this the flexibility of the wire wheels (there's a reason the lightweight racing E-types used steel disc wheels instead of wire wheels), and I can't see this thing going anywhere near the direction you'd want to. If it is even possible to get it road legal.
    The other issue is that next year the SVA test gets replaced with the more stringent IVA. This is basically a test in the UK carried out on custom vehicles and self built vehicles. It covers everything from where seatbelts are anchored to the spacing of lights and their power.

I'm not saying this guys project is impossible, in fact I really hope it works out. I'm just hoping I can learn something from the answers he'll hopefully give.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    I would think the m3 Aston will not need that test as all working parts are original vehicle. I'm just guessing but using superleggera skills a frame could be built onto the m3 and then the Aston panels mounted onto that, just like the real car.
    Yeah in the UK it would still need that test.

I might be wrong, but I also think that if the donor vehicle (in this case the M3) has things like traction control, ABS etc, these features need to be present and working as they originally did in order to pass the test.

Looking forward to the solutions.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • SuperleggoSuperleggo Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    M3 aston sounds good fun
    Superleggo wrote:
    M3 aston sounds good fun

AMG Aston sounds.... er.... funner?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    Superleggo wrote:
    M3 aston sounds good fun

AMG Aston sounds.... er.... funner?

AMG/ASTON mind blowing ?
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:

Old news Geff :) but indeed nice, very nice .
    I have followed this build for A while, as you've might guess from the erlier
    Pics in the thread .

Martin.
    Zundapp wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

Old news Geff :) but indeed nice, very nice .
    I have followed this build for A while, as you've might guess from the erlier
    Pics in the thread .

Martin.

The project is old news, the guys name isn't ;)

The M3 guy seems to have gone quiet....
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org

He is probably busy making the good German bits rubbish so its more like an Aston :))
    Voituer wrote:

He is probably busy making the good German bits rubbish so its more like an Aston :))

I think he's frantically scanning over the IVA regs, hoping to god he's not just wasted £20k and 3 years :))
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    Voituer wrote:

I think he's frantically scanning over the IVA regs, hoping to god he's not just wasted £20k and 3 years :))
    :))

Martin.
    Update, it will get the IVA. All will be good for then. ABS will remain, but not required for regs. Like air bags, you don't need them for a new car, it's just good practise to be competitive in today's world. It will be more a superleggra on to the BMW base pan. I would not say I am an expert, but do have good know how and very good contact with pros for welding work etc etc. thing is the people I know want to do for free because they like the project, sadly this way takes longer. Basics it is a DB5 on a M3 base. All original Aston on top. AMG I like, but M3 cheaper. If I had a choice, it would be all British. Winter coming soon, and it's to cold in my garage to work. This is a hobby not a job. If I had to do this for a job, you would never make any money. You can see from the pics that the project is still in its very early stages. Once project moves on, more pics will be uploaded. It's good to see others talking about it. What ever I do, someone will have a point of view that hates it, or it will drive badly etc etc. we will not know until tested, but one thing for sure, it will drive better than a DB5!
    Cool beans, keep us posted wont ya?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • bondmobilebondmobile Posts: 92MI6 Agent
    5Jon, sounds like you've got the best balance of modern usability with the art and design of the original I've seen so far. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

I always thought a modern drivetrain swap like yours would do wonders for the notoriously unreliable Spy Who Loved Me Lotus Esprit as well...

--Brian
    Guys, im so happy and excited right now!!!
    One of my friends works for this Tycoon here in Jakarta , and look what he is packing up to enter Indonesia soon..... Crazy!!!
    i have requested for a photo shoot (may even be able to drive the thing) ,.... ill try and sneak in at night and bring some bodykit modifiying people i know for them to copy the curves of this beast! :)) {:)
    But ill still aim high and dream to own or at least buy this off him one day!
    He purchased it from either Melbourne or Sydney
    And guess what the guy who bought just bought cause his friends told him to buy it, he didnt even know the type of the car at first!!! Whaaaa!!! He called it "the vintage" Aston Martin :))
    Awesome! ETA Jakarta Christmas 2013

db5.jpg
    Yes i did ride the CAT
  • Gebruder GumboldGebruder Gumbold San FranciscoPosts: 541MI6 Agent
    I sincerely hope that the new owner cherishes the car as it deserves to be cherished!
    Sometimes I really think that the wrong people have money.......
    Then I stop thinking that and just hope to have some myself!
    Thanks for sharing the photos. let's all hope that the car arrives safe and sound...
    Cheers!
  • DB5FanDB5Fan Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    I'm new to this thread but have read each post since the beginning. Obviously we all share a passion for not just any Aston Martin but the DB5 Model. Owning one is simply out of the question for many, but perhaps a good replica with modern underpinnings may not be beyond us. Consider this, Triumph motorcycles sell thousands of new Bonneville models (made in Indonesia ironically) allowing owners all the pleasure of a classically styled machine without the headaches of owning the original models from the 50's, 60's and 70's. In the early 80's a company called "Triple C" built fiberglass bodied E-Type replica's with space frame chassis and modern (at that time) suspension. All the aesthetic pleasures of E-type ownership without the headaches.

Reading the threads its clear that Aston Martin take a far less relaxed approach to the construction of DB5 replicas, and rightly so. However, I think its clear that everyone who has posted here, is not interested in making any kind of profit, we simply enjoy the shape of a DB5 and would love to own a real one, or perhaps a very good facsimile for our own pleasure.

Somebody here said that making a mould would cost in the region of $7,000 US. why not form a consortium of folks, each willing to contribute an equal amount of money towards the construction of a super high quality and accurate mould of the DB5. With the mould made, members of the consortium (limited to say to 20 members) would have the right to additionally finance the construction of one shell, minus any interior or exterior trim or windows etc. Shipping would be an additional cost borne by each individual. With the completion of bodyshell No20, the moulds would be destroyed (under supervision, with an affidavit of destruction signed and witnessed).

A lottery would be set up to determine the order of recipients, each person would then in turn pay the full estimated cost of the body. The lead time could be used by each member to procure a suitable donor car and prepare it to accept the body. To speed up delivery, it may be worth considering making two or three moulds and each member contributes an equal sum towards the cost of making them all ( for example three moulds at $7k each, $7k x 3 = $21,000 divided by 20). Again, on completion of body No20, all moulds are destroyed, amounts settled and the consortium dissolves. This process could take a few years from start to finish but the end result may be worth the wait.

Just my thoughts here. Its a rough idea but I thought I would put it out there.